The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2011, 02:48 AM   #931
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
I feel like a "repentant sinner" who realized the error of his ways. It is good to be back - again.

Fr. John†
Welcome back to the flock.
Old 5 December 2011, 12:04 PM   #932
aardvarkbark
"TRF" Member

Just got mine, my first Rolex. Not a fan of the new design so very happy to find one in the classifieds here NIB random serial. I prefer straps so put it on a Hirsch shark...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExpII web lg.jpg (101.7 KB, 1021 views)
aardvarkbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2011, 12:21 PM   #933
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
Just got mine, my first Rolex. Not a fan of the new design so very happy to find one in the classifieds here NIB random serial. I prefer straps so put it on a Hirsch shark...
Looks great.
Old 5 December 2011, 08:22 PM   #934
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

like others have said, SUPERB side-by-side, Fr. John. thank you and welcome back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Pierre, bloody awesome shot - really shows the stealthness and class of the 16570
x2!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2012, 07:58 AM   #935
COBill

I really love the new face and hands; this would definitely be my next watch if I want one with a SS bezel, especially given how much more visible the 24 hour hand is as compared to the GMT IIc.
COBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2012, 09:50 AM   #936
gjsmt
"TRF" Member

Bought an Explorer II 216570 w/ blk dial, w/o serial numbers engraved between lugs at 6 o'clock position.
Is this something I have to worry or it is he latest from Rolex w/2011 watches?

Please help me on this subject.
gjsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 07:28 AM   #937
guyrolex

Watch: DSSD, SubC LV
From people I talk to, it seems the biggest problem is the underwhelming bezel- which has been made worse in comparison to the new spectacular ceramic bezels
guyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 08:25 AM   #938
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrolex View Post
From people I talk to, it seems the biggest problem is the underwhelming bezel- which has been made worse in comparison to the new spectacular ceramic bezels
There are two things imo: the first is that these things develop a natural patina, and you've gotta get rid of that for them (imo) to look their best. When I got mine I gave them a nice bath with light soap and a washcloth, being careful not to get it into the crown area (soap kills gaskets by drying them out), and the difference was stunning.

The other is that, as with many premium watches, you really need to get them on the wrist and move them around to see how the light plays off of them. On the EXP IIs, the satin finish on the bezel (and bracelet) gives an effect which is really quite striking when the light hits it "just so", but you'd really need a video to see it, a still won't get you there and sitting in a display case it won't be visible.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 08:30 AM   #939
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Great score. Love those twins.
Thanks! I'm definitely a proud papa! :)
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 4 January 2012, 11:36 AM   #940
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrolex View Post
You have it reversed. It's the Rolex ceramic bezels that are underwhelming. They are poorly designed and quite fragile compared to the EXPII SS bezel. Try polishing out a scratched number/marker on a Rolex ceramic or repairing a cracked ceramic.

I've owned a GMTIIc ( ceramic) and a GMT Master II (aluminum insert) and I'll take the ss EXPII bezel any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
The other is that, as with many premium watches, you really need to get them on the wrist and move them around to see how the light plays off of them. On the EXP IIs, the satin finish on the bezel (and bracelet) gives an effect which is really quite striking when the light hits it "just so", but you'd really need a video to see it, a still won't get you there and sitting in a display case it won't be visible.
You make a great point that I never noticed until a couple of weeks ago. We were having dinner in a well lighted restaurant with lots of mirrors. The lights and reflections dancing on the bezel and bracelet of my EXPII were mesmerizing - something never experienced with my GMTs.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 11:59 AM   #941
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
You have it reversed. It's the Rolex ceramic bezels that are underwhelming. They are poorly designed and quite fragile compared to the EXPII SS bezel. Try polishing out a scratched number/marker on a Rolex ceramic or repairing a cracked ceramic.

I've owned a GMTIIc ( ceramic) and a GMT Master II (aluminum insert) and I'll take the ss EXPII bezel any day.

You make a great point that I never noticed until a couple of weeks ago. We were having dinner in a well lighted restaurant with lots of mirrors. The lights and reflections dancing on the bezel and bracelet of my EXPII were mesmerizing - something never experienced with my GMTs.

Fr. John†

Agreed. When you see a ExplorerII across the room...you know its something special. If your a TRF member you know it's an ExplorerII
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 01:28 PM   #942
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Fr. John†
Thanks! Yeah, it's a very interesting effect, more subtle than the polished SS stuff, but still, it definitely catches your attention. We went to a place with the kids over the weekend that had lots of flourescent and colored neon lights, and it was quite the little light show on my wrist!
Old 4 January 2012, 09:19 PM   #943
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Nice shot.

I see you bought a new ski jacket this year as well.

thanks!

but, no, sadly, no new ski jacket for me (the orange one from the mont blanc shot is a spring jacket).....here's a pic from last season at avoriaz (looking into switzerland) you might have missed:

img

Last edited by Tools; 19 January 2020 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: corrupted image
Old 4 January 2012, 09:35 PM   #944
jim251
Banned

This watch has really grown on me over time and there may be one in my future. IMO the bezel looks great - under the radar with really no bling at all.
jim251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2012, 10:13 PM   #945
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
The Explorer II works just as well at the bottom as at the top though.

Old 5 January 2012, 12:29 PM   #946
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

ArticMoose, those pictures look great together.
Old 5 January 2012, 03:24 PM   #947
COBill

I'm convinced if I get a watch with a second hour hand it will be a white Exp II, not a GMT IIc.
COBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2012, 01:31 AM   #948
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsmt View Post
Bought an Explorer II 216570 w/ blk dial, w/o serial numbers engraved between lugs at 6 o'clock position.
Is this something I have to worry or it is he latest from Rolex w/2011 watches?

Please help me on this subject.
enjoy your watch, no worries.... the rehaut engraving is the only # that will be on the case moving forward. some transitional models had it in both places but it was redundant as both places were a part of the same one piece case frame.
Old 6 January 2012, 01:54 AM   #949
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBill View Post
I'm convinced if I get a watch with a second hour hand it will be a white Exp II, not a GMT IIc.
I have been waiting on word of the results of your search

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2012, 05:31 PM   #950
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Nope, No. Wrong.
Old 7 January 2012, 01:06 PM   #951
Linzjnr

Watch: My bank balance!
Long live this thread

Saving for a white Exp 2 16570 and this thread just keeps adding to my excitement

Thanks to all the fans out there who have contributed their experiences and photo's, been a fun ride
Old 10 January 2012, 06:55 AM   #952
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
picked up a new expie two days ago. i was concerned about the size difference from my sub c. i am now starting to think tho that it is the perfect watch. in fact, if it had a glidelock clasp, it really would be.

in my humble opinion, it is a far better looking watch than the sub series. i also like the fact that it flies under the radar because not everyone has one.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 10:22 PM   #953
haggis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 2
Just joined forum from Scotland. I too have a 16550 Explorer 2 (Black) and it has been on my wrist since 1988 when I bought it new. As a retired engineer I have long admired those products that are inherently attractive from the standpoint of superb engineering, often with a simplicity that makes them look “just right”. Rolex watches, Leica Cameras, Well made pocket knives, and hand tools etc etc.
I am not a watch collector - I wear my Rolex every single day - this one has seen me on mountain tops in the Alps, in the Arctic, Kuwait desert, Australian outback, Andes, Arizona desert and even a hogmanay in Scotland!!
Regards from Scotland
haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 10:30 PM   #954
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis View Post
Just joined forum from Scotland. I too have a 16550 Explorer 2 (Black) and it has been on my wrist since 1988 when I bought it new. As a retired engineer I have long admired those products that are inherently attractive from the standpoint of superb engineering, often with a simplicity that makes them look “just right”. Rolex watches, Leica Cameras, Well made pocket knives, and hand tools etc etc.
I am not a watch collector - I wear my Rolex every single day - this one has seen me on mountain tops in the Alps, in the Arctic, Kuwait desert, Australian outback, Andes, Arizona desert and even a hogmanay in Scotland!!
Regards from Scotland

very nice intro. welcome!
Old 10 January 2012, 11:05 PM   #955
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis View Post
Regards from Scotland
welcome aboard mate

great second post here!

would love to see some pictures of your 16550
Old 11 January 2012, 02:01 AM   #956
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
There are two things imo: the first is that these things develop a natural patina, and you've gotta get rid of that for them (imo) to look their best.

On the EXP IIs, the satin finish on the bezel (and bracelet) gives an effect which is really quite striking when the light hits it "just so", but you'd really need a video to see it, a still won't get you there and sitting in a display case it won't be visible.
I totally agree with you. I keep my Explorer II spotless. I don't mind scratches (and after a year it has plenty with the abuse it takes), but the bezel in particular has to be kept very clean to look its best. As soon as the digits fade a bit, I'll do something.
Old 12 January 2012, 02:47 PM   #957
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
picked up a new expie two days ago. i was concerned about the size difference from my sub c. i am now starting to think tho that it is the perfect watch. in fact, if it had a glidelock clasp, it really would be.

in my humble opinion, it is a far better looking watch than the sub series. i also like the fact that it flies under the radar because not everyone has one.
I agree, if the Exp 42 had the Glidelock clasp, it would be perfect. We need to find one of the members in the UK to order those Glidelock clasps for forum members in the USA......
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 11:15 AM   #958
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
i love mine but im contemplating on a GMT II C... i kind of need the rotating 24 hour bezel. faster to set different time zones and i do travel alot.
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 12:02 PM   #959
subkrawler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Whilst I like the image, in those situations above, I think a Gshock will be better suited....Just saying....
Maybe, but some of us don't like throw away watches.
Old 22 February 2012, 03:15 AM   #960
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Hey Pierre, mine says hello. OD Green with the black dial is a killer combo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zulu.JPG (58.0 KB, 1310 views)