The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 October 2018, 07:06 AM   #121
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

I think the blro is underpriced at $9250, if Rolex has a $12k MSRP I would still bite.
Conceptually, I refuse to feed resellers. Especially the ones who bribe/cajole their way and are on 10+ waiting lists. They’re the root of this shortage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts66 View Post
I think you make a very valid point. The question is what is the watch worth to you? And that’s what you should pay. Usually that should be close in line with MSRP.

But to those who just default say MSRP and are anti-grey, ask yourself if Rolex priced the SS BLRO at $12,400 would you still say MSRP?
Old 15 October 2018, 07:45 AM   #122
Colin W
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
I don’t see many of any selling recently, but I don’t check too

Much, are they actually selling at that price? Looks like a lot of asking, tons of inventory in grey, not many buyers which equals overpriced.

steve

My thoughts exactly- plenty of greys have them available at high prices, suggests to me they are not selling many.

Now if their were very few grey ones available at higher prices, I would be more inclined to believe people were buying them at these prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 October 2018, 08:00 AM   #123
spurs
"TRF" Member

I would pay a little above MSRP (+- $11k). Who’s to say they won’t be more readily available at a lower price in the future?
Old 15 October 2018, 08:24 AM   #124
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
For starters, your premise for the thread is false. People are willing to pay 17k (and above) for the watch. Just go take a look at the FS section. When they stop paying 17k for it, you will see the prices of it dip down into the 16's. Are there any BLRO's in the classifieds here for 16k? I haven't seen it.
And then, if they stop paying that, then you will see prices in the 15's. See how that works?
:
There's heaps for $16k already. All these will sell in the $16k range. Big TDs price higher because each customer is going to negotiate prices with them so if they advertise for $17k its going to sell for $16k.

Here are some examples below with a 2 second search. There are some groups of resellers in Asia that work together and its already low 16s. It will hit $15k very very soon. My bet it will settle at $12-13k. If economy tanks or suffers big hit its going down further.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=BLRO

Old 15 October 2018, 09:25 AM   #125
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
There's heaps for $16k already. All these will sell in the $16k range. Big TDs price higher because each customer is going to negotiate prices with them so if they advertise for $17k its going to sell for $16k.

Here are some examples below with a 2 second search. There are some groups of resellers in Asia that work together and its already low 16s. It will hit $15k very very soon. My bet it will settle at $12-13k. If economy tanks or suffers big hit its going down further.

Actually, When I wrote the post, I said I didn't see anything selling for sub-17k on our forum. (Have no idea what's going on in Asia.)

And I still don't...you saying that these three sales (which are all 17k and over) will all go for 16k notwithstanding. I would be incredulous if the guy selling the second one for 18-something takes 16 for it. I don't see it happening. I'll happily stand corrected if proven wrong, however.
Old 15 October 2018, 09:29 AM   #126
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Actually, When I wrote the post, I said I didn't see anything selling for sub-17k on our forum. (Have no idea what's going on in Asia.)

And I still don't...you saying that these three sales (which are all 17k and over) will all go for 16k notwithstanding. I would be incredulous if the guy selling the second one for 18-something takes 16 for it. I don't see it happening. I'll happily stand corrected if proven wrong, however.
I guess you didnt look at the current price drops they have had and just looked at the initial asking prices at the very top.

Ones already at $16500. The others are at $17 flat. Trust me the end price will be $16k and a bit of change. Maybe even high $15s if they sit for another few months.
Old 15 October 2018, 09:35 AM   #127
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin W View Post
My thoughts exactly- plenty of greys have them available at high prices, suggests to me they are not selling many.

Now if their were very few grey ones available at higher prices, I would be more inclined to believe people were buying them at these prices.

It actually turned me off from buying from anyone price gouging, I’m all addicted for now on unless vintage

Not like it matters lol

steve
Old 15 October 2018, 09:43 AM   #128
exador
Banned

Quote:
I would be incredulous if the guy selling the second one for 18-something takes 16 for it. I don't see it happening.
Asking price has dropped $1.5K in two weeks. Even the Scalpers are getting the jitters
Old 15 October 2018, 09:55 AM   #129
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

For a watch in production I would be weighing up the smile on my face from a purchase now above list from a grey vs the excitement of waiting to get a “hot” watch at list in a year or two. If we are talking way longer then I would be deciding on buying grey or not at all.

Depends on motivations as if you are buying because it is hot (let’s be honest, many people are swayed towards something they can’t have...) then you should buy now and pay a premium to enjoy the pub bragging rights. 👍🏻 If you are buying because you want it as a keeper then wait for list. Who knows where prices will go for any piece and if you really want it as a keeper then it doesn’t matter so much. Worst case they discontinue it then just jump on a grey and swallow the premium or move on. 🤷🏻*♂️

Personally, I buy watches I really want, try to make sure they are a more thoughtful purchase than simply being “hot”, and hopefully they retain value. To date I have never sold a watch but like to think I could if I needed.

I just paid above list for a Sd4k but as they are not in production I guess that’s a little different. Personally I would get a mint pre owned metal bezel over ceramic at this price. I prefer the oyster bracelet and couldn’t justify the white gold
Old 15 October 2018, 10:27 AM   #130
MinMay
Banned

If you can afford a Rolex, then 1K-5K depreciation should have no effect in your life. Seriously... If you are hurting from the decrease, then you might want to think about a new hobby :)

I'm sure folks who paid 20K for it, they're probably doing very well.
Old 15 October 2018, 10:34 AM   #131
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
If you can afford a Rolex, then 1K-5K depreciation should have no effect in your life. Seriously... If you are hurting from the decrease, then you might want to think about a new hobby :)
That is not true at all. Many people and many Rolex owners save decades to buy a Rolex or any watch at $10k.

I give thanks everyday I can afford pretty much any Rolex anytime I want but please this statement of saying $5k is nothing to most is not true.

If you were a billionaire would you throw away $5k? If yes then I would seriously question your mindset. Instead of wasting or paying premium for grays to get rich I would rather pay MSRP and give my $5k to charity or a good cause to the community than simply chucking it away
Old 15 October 2018, 10:53 AM   #132
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Those people are running out quick fast.

Either way even if I was a billionaire - paying for something at ultra inflated prices when you know you are clearly getting ripped is not a good feeling.

Doesn't matter if its buying a watch or a car or a house. You know inside you just got taken for a big ride.

But hey if your a Saudi prince by all means go for your life.

Hm.. idk if that is correct. We should ask them! It is a luxury item.. It is not like buying a house or a car, and IMO it is not an investment. Super wealthy may pay for overpriced very personal items.

Old 15 October 2018, 10:55 AM   #133
nektar
"TRF" Member

Nobody knows.. But if somebody goes to a car dealer and stay there for a while, he will realize a lot about the mentality of rich and poor when decide to treat themselves with something nice..

Old 15 October 2018, 10:58 AM   #134
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nektar View Post
Hm.. idk if that is correct. We should ask them! It is a luxury item.. It is not like buying a house or a car, and IMO it is not an investment. Super wealthy may pay for overpriced very personal items.
Sure - if you like the feeling that you very well know someone is taking advantage of you and ripping you a new one.

Like they say a fool and his money are soon parted.
Old 15 October 2018, 10:58 AM   #135
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Msrp
Old 15 October 2018, 11:02 AM   #136
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
All BS! A must-have created by yahoos who don't have a clue. Why would anyone pay 17K for a 9K watch? Only a complete dumbass. PS sell it in two years and see how well the value held up, NOT.
Old 15 October 2018, 11:02 AM   #137
nektar
"TRF" Member

If you save decades to buy a watch... well...

Old 15 October 2018, 11:03 AM   #138
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
MSRP or below. It is a watch. And, if you strip the Rolex allure, just an okay one. Plenty of interesting manufacturers that offer good watches at better prices. I save "iconic," "brand recognition," "resale value," and other WIS idioms for others.
Old 15 October 2018, 11:03 AM   #139
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Msrp with no sales tax.
Old 15 October 2018, 11:05 AM   #140
nektar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post

I agree. Wealthy people can treat themselves with a luxury overpriced item. And if you are scared to lose money, do not buy it. Get a CD!

Old 15 October 2018, 11:10 AM   #141
nektar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure - if you like the feeling that you very well know someone is taking advantage of you and ripping you a new one.

Like they say a fool and his money are soon parted.

they make money from other activities. They do not expect to invest and keep funds safe by buying a watch. And I believe they are right.

Old 15 October 2018, 11:13 AM   #142
Kingfish01
"TRF" Member

When stainless steel (albeit very high quality) is selling for more than gold, you know something’s wrong
Old 15 October 2018, 11:14 AM   #143
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nektar View Post
they make money from other activities. They do not expect to invest and keep funds safe by buying a watch. And I believe they are right.
I don't think you understand. Nothing to do with making money from other sources or anything.

Its about self worth, feeling as though you have been taken advantage of and simply principle. I am a person of high principles in my daily life and I dont like to see people get taken advantage of especially people who have little knowledge in certain areas. That is all.

Every person who paid $20k for this watch has been taken advantage of. I dont care if your worth $1k or $1 Billion. Its still not right.
Old 15 October 2018, 11:14 AM   #144
SimplyWatches
Banned

Watch: Rolex Maniac
MSRP for me
Old 15 October 2018, 11:18 AM   #145
Goodwill63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 122613
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish01 View Post
When stainless steel (albeit very high quality) is selling for more than gold, you know something’s wrong
Old 15 October 2018, 11:44 AM   #146
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish01 View Post
Bit of hyperbole. New 116719 BLROs are still $30K+ on the secondary market.
Old 15 October 2018, 12:21 PM   #147
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
That is not true at all. Many people and many Rolex owners save decades to buy a Rolex or any watch at $10k.

I give thanks everyday I can afford pretty much any Rolex anytime I want but please this statement of saying $5k is nothing to most is not true.

If you were a billionaire would you throw away $5k? If yes then I would seriously question your mindset. Instead of wasting or paying premium for grays to get rich I would rather pay MSRP and give my $5k to charity or a good cause to the community than simply chucking it away
That's fine about saving 10K for a Rolex. However, a buyer should accept the fact that purchasing a Rolex watch does not guarantee in appreciation value. People should know that... Who said that buying a watch won't decrease? If that's your mindset, then go for it. Buy all the Rolex you can afford, but don't cry about it if doesn't live up to your expectation If people are buying a watch from their decade of saving, then I have nothing else to say :) .
Old 15 October 2018, 12:26 PM   #148
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
I don't think you understand. Nothing to do with making money from other sources or anything.

Its about self worth, feeling as though you have been taken advantage of and simply principle. I am a person of high principles in my daily life and I dont like to see people get taken advantage of especially people who have little knowledge in certain areas. That is all.

Every person who paid $20k for this watch has been taken advantage of. I dont care if your worth $1k or $1 Billion. Its still not right.
Do you own any old watches? Would you sell it at MSRP? Be honest

If people are paying 20K for a watch, then it's their choice. What are you talking about taking advantage? What about your home? Are you going to sell it at your cost? If not, then you're taking advantage of people by selling it more than you paid for. :)

Anyhow, take care lol
Old 15 October 2018, 12:40 PM   #149
peterpl
Banned

Its all good. If your stupid enough to pay these prices good luck to you.

Anyway back to looking for another watch to purchase.

I'll make sure I pay way above MSRP this time. LOL
Old 15 October 2018, 12:54 PM   #150
HNIC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex collector
What would make these “MSRP not a penny more” type posts a little more interesting would be....

“The highest MSRP I would be willing to pay for the BLRO would be $______.”

IMO I would be willing to pay what I paid MSRP for the Daytona which I think was $12,400. I feel it’s right up there.... but, I would not and will not pay that to a reseller or grey.

Closed Thread