The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 31 March 2020, 07:18 AM   #91
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Asking what the lowest will be doesn’t usually work

Maybe you can message him/her and say “hey I can offer $19,000”

Something like that might work
This.

The "what is your lowest price" question is literally one of the worst questions one can ask as a buyer. Basically you are implying the seller artificially inflates the price, to which no sensible human beings would be willing to admit.
Old 31 March 2020, 07:20 AM   #92
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Personally, would get out of US Dollars and most other currencies for a few months and see where the dust settles due to Coronavirus and ongoing historically massive central bank induced currency injections. Am sure i'm not the only one doing this right now, so you have to buy something of intrinsic value to retain worth/value.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 31 March 2020, 07:43 AM   #93
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
I hope you are correct but I suspect you are very wrong.

If the OP was in the UK I would snap his hand off for that offer -and would indeed take considerably less.
I think not, unless this virus mutates to killing people under 60 at a 5% rate then it is politically untenable to cause a massive depression and millions in unemployment with society in chaos and deprivation, at least in the UK; so what will probably follow is in the summer things start to open up but older people will have to stay isolated for many more months, for them this will last a long time.
Old 31 March 2020, 07:49 AM   #94
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocog View Post
I'm just as perplexed as you. I think a lot of the individuals on this forum aren't the brightest of lights.
Ok Mr Bright Light, how would you describe the current state of the economy?
Old 31 March 2020, 07:52 AM   #95
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
Grey's aren't hurting.....especially with a large number of Ad's shutdown.
This, the audience is even more captive, now after the shutdowns are over, late summer I bet the incomings will be huge from Rolex dealers and only then combined with the months on lower sales will we see substantially discounted pricing on the hottest models via greys

When potential clients ask me what my best price is I don’t even respond most times, make a serious offer and get a serous response

steve
Old 31 March 2020, 07:54 AM   #96
Joergen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyROLEX! View Post
Ok so they accepted 19k
Wonder if they would have gone lower
The "lowest" is rarely achieved on C24
Old 31 March 2020, 07:54 AM   #97
DayTona78
"TRF" Member

like what?

curious to read/hear your thoughts on this! what exactly would you get into, if out of USD and other currencies? ty

agree with you on the Central Bank infusions and the artificial state of health it generates for the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Personally, would get out of US Dollars and most other currencies for a few months and see where the dust settles due to Coronavirus and ongoing historically massive central bank induced currency injections. Am sure i'm not the only one doing this right now, so you have to buy something of intrinsic value to retain worth/value.
Old 31 March 2020, 07:54 AM   #98
doubleinfive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just tried to make an offer on a 116500 on chrono24
$19795 listed
Will not go any lower, even when mentioning 800 others listed
I dont know guys, I think everybody is going to hold out
You may be barking up the wrong tree. I've seen a lot of good deals out there lately, albeit not so much from grey dealers but from individuals who are now feeling the crunch and are beginning to unload their newly acquired pieces. Just last week I saw a BLNR listed for $11.5k. Haven't seen that in a while.

My goal for the rest of the year is to acquire the various pieces that have been on my wish list over the past few years and I have lined up the dealers that I will be contacting. Good deals will come, just be patient. And when they do, be ready to pounce.
Old 31 March 2020, 07:56 AM   #99
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
That rarely works. Make an offer: go in at $18k and see where the discussion goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't know were this comes from. Are you basing your statements on data that you have gathered or some other source of information?

I recently bought a watch and asked what his best price was. He told me, it was below retail, and I bought it. This was an Omega (Omega AD).

The watch before that was a rose gold Daytona. Same approach, same result (Rolex AD).

In my actual experience, asking for a lowest price has worked well. It seems that people tend to make statements based on no information, or simply repeat what is popular to say. As is usually true, what you read online is usually incorrect.
Old 31 March 2020, 07:57 AM   #100
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Just tried to make an offer on a 116500 on chrono24
$19795 listed
Will not go any lower, even when mentioning 800 others listed
I dont know guys, I think everybody is going to hold out
I would have ignored this offer.

Quote:
Ok so they accepted 19k
I hope you bought it if you made an offer and they accepted it.
Old 31 March 2020, 07:57 AM   #101
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleinfive View Post
You may be barking up the wrong tree. I've seen a lot of good deals out there lately, albeit not so much from grey dealers but from individuals who are now feeling the crunch and are beginning to unload their newly acquired pieces. Just last week I saw a BLNR listed for $11.5k. Haven't seen that in a while.

My goal for the rest of the year is to acquire the various pieces that have been on my wish list over the past few years and I have lined up the dealers that I will be contacting. Good deals will come, just be patient. And when they do, be ready to pounce.
You make an excellent point here. People are probably going to get the best deals buying direct from seller’s panic selling if of course they trust them.

Your not going to get a grey to sell a Daytona or any piece for less then what they paid for it.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 31 March 2020, 08:03 AM   #102
Cesium137
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleinfive View Post

You’re correct, some people are feeling the crunch and unloading. More than likely they are being offered obscenely low prices from greys (who are hurting as well). After turning down the grey slap in the face, trying to selling private party.
Old 31 March 2020, 08:07 AM   #103
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the watch. Could you have gotten it cheaper? Who knows. But you did get it for what you offered. And less than the asking price.

So be happy and just enjoy it.

Look forward, not back.
Old 31 March 2020, 09:03 AM   #104
peterpl
Banned

You should have offered $18k. I bet he would have accepted that
Old 31 March 2020, 09:03 AM   #105
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
They may not be budging now...but I bet they have a feeling in the pit of their stomachs, and it’s not a good feeling

Old 31 March 2020, 09:12 AM   #106
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Can't wait for the incoming OP.

When I bought from a grey dealer the fist thing I learned is that "what's your best price" is not going to be met well. Obviously their best price is the list price. You always have to send a figure and see if they accept.
Old 31 March 2020, 09:28 AM   #107
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf&Watches View Post
Yes, to negotiate an offer is a good place to start.

Old 31 March 2020, 09:30 AM   #108
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

Hi Steven, can you please send me a PM expanding on this. I am not sure what you are talking about but I want to know.

Thanks.
Old 31 March 2020, 09:37 AM   #109
John4C
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was a black
I just asked what his lowest would be
Make a real offer. He’ll budge if it’s reasonable.

Edit:
Quote:
Ok so they accepted 19k
There you go. Congrats!
Old 31 March 2020, 10:09 AM   #110
subdownunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Anyone thinking this is a micro economic issue is dreaming.
I spoke to a Hong Kong dealer in high end used handbags and she said that a month ago she was able to buy LV etc bags used at low prices as people were desperate to offload them to raise cash.
Only problem is she now has a lot of stock that isn’t moving and prices are collapsing.
This is going to be the Rolex story in a couple of months.
Buyer psychology’s changed, wealth has been destroyed and the USA which has more poor destitute people and an inferior health system to Europe is only a couple of weeks away from the tsunami that hit better prepared European countries.
Rolex pricing?
Look out below!
Old 31 March 2020, 10:12 AM   #111
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
as long as we dont buy from them, price will drop eventually.
Old 31 March 2020, 10:13 AM   #112
spacebjorn
"TRF" Member

As buyers we should also curb our temptations and not buy as soon as we see it come down in the -15% range..

If we all hold out a bit longer we can probably get them closer to retail

Most likely schmucks who can't wait will go after it like dogs though... because rolex marketing
Old 31 March 2020, 10:18 AM   #113
sallyhats
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM111, BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebjorn View Post
As buyers we should also curb our temptations and not buy as soon as we see it come down in the -15% range..

If we all hold out a bit longer we can probably get them closer to retail

Most likely schmucks who can't wait will go after it like dogs though... because rolex marketing
I just read Chrysler cut all of their white collar workers salaries by 20% for 3 months, 30% for executives. I can see this catching on with other companies push comes to shove. Not good.

GMT II - 116710 BLNR
Old 31 March 2020, 10:19 AM   #114
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdownunder View Post
...and the USA which has more poor destitute people and an inferior health system to Europe is only a couple of weeks away from the tsunami that hit better prepared European countries...
WOW, bro. I hope you're kidding.

"...better prepared European countries..." You mean like Italy or Spain?

LOL.

CJ
Old 31 March 2020, 10:27 AM   #115
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the USA which has more poor destitute people
Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ing_in_poverty

Quote:
and an inferior health system to Europe
We could argue this, but no wealthy US folks go to Europe for medical care, while the opposite is too common to even note. You want the best medical care, you come to the US, no one can argue that. Yes, our lack of border control overwhelms our ERs as illegals use them as primary care, and we should eliminate the employer from the patient/provider/insurer equation.

Quote:
is only a couple of weeks away from the tsunami that hit better prepared European countries.
Nope.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-...-found-in-2019

I'd say 2.7 Pinochios on the three contentions in your sentance.
Old 31 March 2020, 10:30 AM   #116
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyhats View Post
I just read Chrysler cut all of their white collar workers salaries by 20% for 3 months, 30% for executives. I can see this catching on with other companies push comes to shove. Not good.
Dang, that is typical automaker stupidity. But with blue collar union contracts, that's the only place they can cut... the folks running the place.

Bye bye, Chrysler. I hope if this gets bad I don't draw a ventilator you made, I could get electrocuted.

(My patrol car is a Dodge, I have sound reasons to fear Chrysler electrical engineering).
Old 31 March 2020, 10:31 AM   #117
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
This thread is turning away from the topic.

It's been a while since 2008. It takes time for what's going on now to show its true colors in the market. I'm not talking next week or next month but it will come.
Old 31 March 2020, 10:33 AM   #118
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ing_in_poverty

We could argue this, but no wealthy US folks go to Europe for medical care, while the opposite is too common to even note. You want the best medical care, you come to the US, no one can argue that. Yes, our lack of border control overwhelms our ERs as illegals use them as primary care, and we should eliminate the employer from the patient/provider/insurer equation.

Nope.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-...-found-in-2019

I'd say 2.7 Pinochios on the three contentions in your sentance.

steve
Old 31 March 2020, 10:34 AM   #119
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlue2018 View Post
You’re telling someone to back out of an offer they have made and had accepted?

Isn’t that ungentlemanly

I feel he is overpaying but I’d rather be true to my word

Totally agree. I feel the OP should honour the agreement now.

Old 31 March 2020, 10:39 AM   #120
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Anyone thinking this is a micro economic issue is dreaming.
I spoke to a Hong Kong dealer in high end used handbags and she said that a month ago she was able to buy LV etc bags used at low prices as people were desperate to offload them to raise cash.
Only problem is she now has a lot of stock that isn’t moving and prices are collapsing.
This is going to be the Rolex story in a couple of months.
Buyer psychology’s changed, wealth has been destroyed and the USA which has more poor destitute people and an inferior health system to Europe is only a couple of weeks away from the tsunami that hit better prepared European countries.
Rolex pricing?
Look out below!

Your kidding right???
The United States is the world's largest economy by a comfortable margin with a GDP of approximately $20.513 trillion, notably due to high average incomes, a large population, capital investment, low unemployment, high consumer spending, a relatively young population, and technological innovation.

To put in perspective, the Walmart company alone would be the worlds 24th largest GDP.
There is plenty of wealth even in the worst of times for enough Americans to still buy luxury goods.
Closed Thread