The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2020, 12:44 PM   #31
KJBrandal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Rolex ADs in the USA will do what restaurants are doing now.....you order your Rolex online or over the phone & pay.
Drive to AD curbside delivery, roll passenger side window down, they drop bag on seat!
Haha i did this on Saturday picking up a Hulk!
KJBrandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 12:49 PM   #32
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
I heard that...
Right.
Old 31 March 2020, 12:51 PM   #33
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Rolex ADs in the USA will do what restaurants are doing now.....you order your Rolex online or over the phone & pay.
Drive to AD curbside delivery, roll passenger side window down, they drop bag on seat!
I'm hoping for drone delivery
Old 31 March 2020, 01:04 PM   #34
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
I heard that Rolex will be applying to the Swiss government for an exemption so that they can reopen the factories at partial capacity with the main purpose to ship the stock they have in their vaults. Thoughts on this?

Implications for supply/availability in ADs? (Although I wonder how sales would work as, at least in my part of the world, all ADs are closed currently).
Source please.
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 01:24 PM   #35
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:

Drive Thru they call it~

JasTPE
JasTPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 02:37 PM   #36
Cool watch
Banned

Hmm... That construction on the side of my A.D. must be a new drive through window.

:)
Cool watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 02:40 PM   #37
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Not ALL ADs are closed. Maybe in the US and some parts of Europe but in Japan every AD is still open along with department stores. Just fyi.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 02:43 PM   #38
yonexsp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo4rolex View Post
I do not think Rolex is shipping to US or Europe anymore.

China just removed the lockdown. So, Chinese are start buying again.

Grey market price will see a dip now but it will bound back very soon.
You do realize that the Chinese have to sell to someone the stuff they make right? NO ONE is buying anything anywhere.

Chinas domestic market is not enough to keep the many many millionaires as millionaires. China is in trouble if the west does not start buying again.

China will not be buying Rolex's enmasse, no more than you would if you got the call form an AD.

So many on TRF flexing, like it was last year.
yonexsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 03:07 PM   #39
RampageWatch
Banned

Hourglass in Sydney closed indefinitely I was told. Contact said they aren’t sure when they will reopen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RampageWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 03:40 PM   #40
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Well you can now buy Patek Philippe online from Watches of Switzerland in the UK so I would very much say watch this space......
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 04:01 PM   #41
Ihatecheese
Banned

Maybe they will just smelt old stock, much like other luxury manufacturers. ☺️

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...y-nike-h-and-m

Cartier owner destroys more than £400m of watches in two years

https://www.theguardian.com/business...y_to_clipboard
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 04:11 PM   #42
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
I don’t care what anyone says. Nobody is going to be buying a Rolex at the rate they previously were.

Rolex knows their distribution channels will be hurting and ADs that are trying to survive (the smaller shops) will not give a rats butt about pleasing Rolex and abiding by their rules even if it means losing AD status.

Rolex knows this, they have to get product out the door. I hear a lot of people here saying that their Rolex purchasing isn’t affected by the current situation and I call BS.

I am partially retired at 32 with exactly $0 debt and I mostly live off the family investment properties when I’m not building e-commerce platforms.

We are all scared and holding on to our cash. If a brand new Hulk fell on my lap today at MSRP I wouldn’t buy it.

It was a good run for Rolex, Greys and ADs shoving pearls and emeralds down peoples throats in exchange for a BLNR.

+1

Except I would buy the hulk. But probably not a Daytona (whereas I would have a few months ago).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 04:15 PM   #43
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Where are they going to ship them?
Japan ADs are still open. For now.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 05:19 PM   #44
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Well you can now buy Patek Philippe online from Watches of Switzerland in the UK so I would very much say watch this space......
Only the models that normally hang about in AD displays anyway.
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 06:49 PM   #45
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
Source please.
Click bait video by mark Goldberg on YouTube.

Any info he thinks can be passed off as fact, is. Not seen any evidence yet!

The latest video announces that Rolex have stock they want to ship. No sh$t. A business has stock they want to send out. Who’d have thought it? I half expected them to want to sit on it and sell nothing.

Talk about stating the obvious.
Abmatt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 06:59 PM   #46
Deppe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
Has anyone noticed that a lot of these threads are started by people with very low post counts?
Nope - haven been wondering the same.
Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 07:14 PM   #47
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmatt2002 View Post
Click bait video by mark Goldberg on YouTube.
It smelled like BS regardless but the confirmation that it comes from that fantasist is helpful nonetheless
Old 31 March 2020, 08:10 PM   #48
SoTaxLaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Yesterday I got an email from the RadissonBlu in Lucerne. They told me my reservation is cancelled and they are closing until June. They refunded my money. This is the current direction of Switzerland. No sale, no service.
SoTaxLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:24 PM   #49
Podmornica
Banned

Not sure how plausible it would be for a Rolex factory or AD to hold their stock of SS professional watches to recreate the artificial high demand in this situation .. I know for a fact most of the ADs are now taking out those safe stashed pieces like SubC for wich they were claiming they don't have them .. All of a sudden they are appearing even though the factory is closed. Meaning, they were there all the time waiting for bundle deals.

This would actually be a good time for Rolex and AD to cash-in that unobtainable image by letting those interested folks to buy what they truly want .. Most other brands don't have this privilege. It might be too late for most of the buyers though, as times in front of us are uncertain and people now feel safer with $10K in cash than $10K in piece of metal ..
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:34 PM   #50
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post
Not gonna happen as these ADs are supposed to be CLOSED (as in no employees in the office closed), at least in the SoCal area.
No one’s going to stop a single business owner from going to their store, taking a credit card over the phone, sizing a watch and handing it to an individual driving up. That’s two people gathered in one place. Good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Most ADs are closed and no one to speak of would be buying right now anyway so I don't believe it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I’m buying. I know plenty of people that have bought watches in the past two weeks. Hell there’s been tons of people on this very forum buying watches. You mean you are not buying. Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoffice View Post
Everyone here won’t hesitate to buy a hot Rolex at msrp guaranteed,
The sky isn’t falling
Exactly.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:35 PM   #51
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
No one is saying that Rolex is holding on to stock.

More that the YouTube video is click bait and stating the bleeding obvious.

They need to get in to start moving stock, by conventional means or online.
Abmatt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:47 PM   #52
Bosscheto
"TRF" Member

I am not sure how it works, because in Switzerland a lot of measures are cantonal. For example the restrictions in Ticino are much more than in VAUD. So probably Rolex decided themselves to close their productions sites, which I believe are in several Cantons. So I am not sure Rolex needs a permission to resume production. For the record - IWC have kept production by restructuring the working space.

Probably Rolex have applied for the financial aid to keep employment, or it is just a rumor.
Bosscheto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:53 PM   #53
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Where are they going to ship them?

I don’t think it’s going to stop Rolex from shipping to them and they will have pay Rolex nonetheless. AD’s are going to take a big hit. Many might go out of business which is not good for Rolex in the long run. I don’t think this is good for anyone.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:54 PM   #54
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
I don’t see what the big deal is to let a handful or 10 people in there who will socially distance themselves from each other to pack some watches up for shipment.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:57 PM   #55
rlx123
"TRF" Member

I am getting texts fro AD’s in Cancun offering some semi desirable models when they didn’t do this prior to this pandemic. They are hurting the most because their main client base are tourists.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 09:06 PM   #56
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
Has anyone noticed that a lot of these threads are started by people with very low post counts?
Yes their trolls and you shouldn't acknowledge them.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 09:32 PM   #57
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
First I think the OP's original info is BS, period. Rolex closed voluntarily, Rolex will do what it wants when it wants to when they think its responsible to do so. They will not damage their brand image for money they don't need. Money is the last thing they need. Their image is their precious jewel.

There are lots of questions that no one has the exact answers to, there are many good answers but no one knows the one perfect answer yet. So I can only go based on common sense and my own perspective like everyone else should and thus the many good answers but again no one knows for sure.

So I have a great relationship with my AD and have not received a text regarding the two pieces I am looking for. Whether I buy or not is a different story, I seem to oscillate between yes and no on a daily basis! So do I think ADs have this hidden treasure trove in their safes. My common sense answer is that maybe some did but not at this point. ADs are smart they see whats going on, what sense does it make to keep a watch in the safe if they can sell it. They'll worry about bundles and allocations 3 months from now(hopefully). Right now bringing in cash is the main priority.

Are the Chinese buying already? I would tend to think that most Chinese took a financial hit as most other people around the world did and are. So I would think any buying is very limited at best. Is the everyday Chinese people running around as they used to all of a sudden? I doubt, I know if it were me I would be cautious and even skeptical for a few weeks. I can tell you this if a vaccine were to come out today you think I would be first in line? Absolutely not. I'm skeptical enough to make sure people don't have second heads growing out of their right shoulders first. Am I running straight to the Aventura Mall? Absolutely not! I want to know that it is 110% virus free.

Are Gray prices falling or going to crash? My guess is that most Grays are successful smart business people that have made a boat load of money over the past 4 years. Most will not panic unless things get totally out of hand and go on past the summer then all bets are off. If a second wave hits in the late fall/winter then again all bets are really off.

My thinking is there is less downside to doing nothing and sitting tight cause everything still points to worse before better. When that reverses you can start to venture into making moves in any way or thing you want to. That's how I look at it right or wrong.
Keep a cool head, be safe and be patient. Don't try to guess at anything, too many moving parts and very few answers. I'm sure we the public are not being told everything, that I'm positive about.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 09:41 PM   #58
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
First I think the OP's original info is BS, period. Rolex closed voluntarily, Rolex will do what it wants when it wants to when they think its responsible to do so. They will not damage their brand image for money they don't need. Money is the last thing they need. Their image is their precious jewel.

There are lots of questions that no one has the exact answers to, there are many good answers but no one knows the one perfect answer yet. So I can only go based on common sense and my own perspective like everyone else should and thus the many good answers but again no one knows for sure.

So I have a great relationship with my AD and have not received a text regarding the two pieces I am looking for. Whether I buy or not is a different story, I seem to oscillate between yes and no on a daily basis! So do I think ADs have this hidden treasure trove in their safes. My common sense answer is that maybe some did but not at this point. ADs are smart they see whats going on, what sense does it make to keep a watch in the safe if they can sell it. They'll worry about bundles and allocations 3 months from now(hopefully). Right now bringing in cash is the main priority.

Are the Chinese buying already? I would tend to think that most Chinese took a financial hit as most other people around the world did and are. So I would think any buying is very limited at best. Is the everyday Chinese people running around as they used to all of a sudden? I doubt, I know if it were me I would be cautious and even skeptical for a few weeks. I can tell you this if a vaccine were to come out today you think I would be first in line? Absolutely not. I'm skeptical enough to make sure people don't have second heads growing out of their right shoulders first. Am I running straight to the Aventura Mall? Absolutely not! I want to know that it is 110% virus free.

Are Gray prices falling or going to crash? My guess is that most Grays are successful smart business people that have made a boat load of money over the past 4 years. Most will not panic unless things get totally out of hand and go on past the summer then all bets are off. If a second wave hits in the late fall/winter then again all bets are really off.

My thinking is there is less downside to doing nothing and sitting tight cause everything still points to worse before better. When that reverses you can start to venture into making moves in any way or thing you want to. That's how I look at it right or wrong.
Keep a cool head, be safe and be patient. Don't try to guess at anything, too many moving parts and very few answers. I'm sure we the public are not being told everything, that I'm positive about.
Well said. 👍🏼

In the last 3 weeks, there’s a flood of posters on TRF who seem to know how Rolex thinks, why they do what they do, and how.
Old 31 March 2020, 09:59 PM   #59
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
This just popped into my inbox. This is from a very large used dealer and very reputable, I've bought a ceramic Channel watch for my wife from them a while ago. They send out a monthly catalog that is pretty substantial. Don't consider them a gray cause I don't see the new stickered watches there and very few of the hot SS pieces if any at all. Just a very good local used watch dealer and nice people to deal with actually. Three things popped out to me. The lead headline is for loans on watches, they are in one of the most affluent areas in the country and they're advertising to make loans on your watches? They state to send your watch by USPS Registered Mail only, so that answers the question of which is the best way to ship a watch. Third their "on sale" list is substantially larger than what's in their catalogs, it may be just a space restriction in the catalog but that's a lot of watches( 5 pages) they are trying to clear out. The fact that they are willing to lend out large sums of money means they are not hurting for cash but the fact that they put so many watches on the clearance rack tells me maybe they just want to free up that cash to make lucrative watch and jewelry loans?? If you're looking for things other than vintage collectables or hot SS models you may want to check them out.

As I said in previous post, be patient and clues will start to appear as to what's really happening and what is in people's heads. Here's a snippet of the email.

WATCHES JEWELRY ACCESSORIES SERVICES SALE

RELAX! SAME DAY JEWELRY/WATCH LOANS AVAILABLE:
$1,000 - $500,000

Send us an email with your phone number, describing your items. Send images and anything that may help us accurately quote your watch or jewelry.

Click here to email us:
loans@grayandsons.com
Call your Concierge Specialist or dial 305.770.6955

We are buying and repairing! Clients that are interested in sending in items for repair or to sell, or need a short-term loan on your valuables, Ship Only U.S. Post Office Registered Mail and Insured.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 11:04 PM   #60
timeldn
"TRF" Member

Rolex applying to Swiss government to (partially) reopen so they can move stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
I don’t care what anyone says. Nobody is going to be buying a Rolex at the rate they previously were.

Rolex knows their distribution channels will be hurting and ADs that are trying to survive (the smaller shops) will not give a rats butt about pleasing Rolex and abiding by their rules even if it means losing AD status.

Rolex knows this, they have to get product out the door. I hear a lot of people here saying that their Rolex purchasing isn’t affected by the current situation and I call BS.

I am partially retired at 32 with exactly $0 debt and I mostly live off the family investment properties when I’m not building e-commerce platforms.

We are all scared and holding on to our cash. If a brand new Hulk fell on my lap today at MSRP I wouldn’t buy it.

It was a good run for Rolex, Greys and ADs shoving pearls and emeralds down peoples throats in exchange for a BLNR.

Well said, most people have more serious things on their minds to be worried about than Rolex watches. Let us see what happens.
timeldn is offline   Reply With Quote