The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 March 2021, 07:41 AM   #1
RamyAshour
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Omega GMT potential?

I have been interested in watches since around 2010, and for as long as I can remember Omega has not had a good GMT option. Is it just me or do they have huge potential here due to the demand for Rolex GMTs (and the ridiculous waitlists)?

I imagine something something like a Seamaster case/bezel (but 24h ofc), maybe a bracelet similar to the one on the new Speedmaster (but slightly more tapered) and in 40mm. And not directly derived from a diver, which would also mean no helium escape valve

What am I missing here? Does anyone know why Omega is not having a decent option here and never did?
RamyAshour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 08:35 AM   #2
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Slightly more tapered than the already aggressive taper of the new Speedmaster bracelet?? Are you sure?

I agree, while there are GMT options, it seems like an after thought with Omega (A Planet Ocean GMT??). Should be ripe for opportunity to make a proper GMT watch.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 09:00 AM   #3
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Rolex sacrificed WR rating to get the GMT function to fit inside the Sub case. Omega didn't sacrifice WR rating so they made the cases thicker to compensate for the GMT function. We ended up with a really fat PO GMT now and a somewhat wearable Diver 300M GMT that was discontinued like 7 years ago.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 10:08 AM   #4
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
The Planet Ocean has a very robust GMT version, like all PO's it's on the tall side but it is one heck timepiece.

Also there is the Aqua Terra, the dial is a bit busy but the who AT line is great, versatile and eye catching. Don't know if the GMT comes in both 37mm and 41mm, but it's worth a look.

Does the 300M still come in a GMT? Not sure; someone will comment, but the first two are good options.
Old 2 March 2021, 02:33 PM   #5
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Does the 300M still come in a GMT? Not sure; someone will comment, but the first two are good options.
No, it was discontinued when the 300M moved to a ceramic bezel.
Old 2 March 2021, 02:50 PM   #6
Leemichael
"TRF" Member

I have been holding out on getting a Planet Ocean GMT. I want the newer Master Chronometer 8906 movement but they don't offer it in a color that I like. I am hoping they release an black bezel or blue with the new movement and they update the bracelet to the adjustable soon.
Leemichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 05:09 PM   #7
RamyAshour
"TRF" Member

They do have the Planet Ocean but it is not very well executed in my humble opinion
Old 2 March 2021, 05:11 PM   #8
RamyAshour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Slightly more tapered than the already aggressive taper of the new Speedmaster bracelet?? Are you sure?

I agree, while there are GMT options, it seems like an after thought with Omega (A Planet Ocean GMT??). Should be ripe for opportunity to make a proper GMT watch.
No I am not sure about the taper actually
Just meant something that is in good proportion to the case and with some taper (unlike the otherwise very nice new Seamaster)
Old 2 March 2021, 07:26 PM   #9
nda
"TRF" Member

I have a PO GMT. A lovely movement and probably the easiest watch to read in my collection.

nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 07:43 PM   #10
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Rolex sacrificed WR rating to get the GMT function to fit inside the Sub case. Omega didn't sacrifice WR rating so they made the cases thicker to compensate for the GMT function. We ended up with a really fat PO GMT now and a somewhat wearable Diver 300M GMT that was discontinued like 7 years ago.
Sacrificed WR to make the movement fit? I would say there was no WR sacrificed? The modern GMT has a WR of 100m, which is more than enough for 99% of people who dive (let alone desk divers) and actually matches the original WR of the first Submariners. While I have watches with deeper WR, such as the SD43 that can go over 1,000m, I’ve never had any problem with WR with my GMT.

Even the Daytona Black can go down the same 100m, which means taking it for Scuba. Just wouldn’t use the chrono down there.

....and Hodinkee had a very well written article about Dr. Sylvia Earle, who makes professional dives wearing her gold Datejust with a 50m WR.

Basically, for solid watchmakers like Rolex and Omega and Blancpain, when they give a certain WR one can stand behind it. And in the case of Dr. Earle, even 50m is good enough for scuba dives.

At 100m a GMT is definitely not sacrificing anything, and definitely not to fit a movement. It’s just that the Sub evolved to get a higher WR, in the same way the SD evolved to get 4x the WR of the Sub, and then the DSSD came along to just put everyone to shame.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 08:11 PM   #11
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 10:33 PM   #12
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I like the Aqua Terra GMTs quite a bit, and as mentioned the PO has a great looking more traditional GMT. Since the Seamaster SMP is a dive watch I guess Omega didn't want to put a GMT function on that particular watch.

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 10:43 PM   #13
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamyAshour View Post
They do have the Planet Ocean but it is not very well executed in my humble opinion
I agree. A dive watch without a diving bezel. What?! Oh hey, let's slap a GMT bezel on there.
Old 3 March 2021, 02:20 AM   #14
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
Sacrificed WR to make the movement fit? I would say there was no WR sacrificed? The modern GMT has a WR of 100m, which is more than enough for 99% of people who dive (let alone desk divers) and actually matches the original WR of the first Submariners. While I have watches with deeper WR, such as the SD43 that can go over 1,000m, I’ve never had any problem with WR with my GMT.

Even the Daytona Black can go down the same 100m, which means taking it for Scuba. Just wouldn’t use the chrono down there.

....and Hodinkee had a very well written article about Dr. Sylvia Earle, who makes professional dives wearing her gold Datejust with a 50m WR.

Basically, for solid watchmakers like Rolex and Omega and Blancpain, when they give a certain WR one can stand behind it. And in the case of Dr. Earle, even 50m is good enough for scuba dives.

At 100m a GMT is definitely not sacrificing anything, and definitely not to fit a movement. It’s just that the Sub evolved to get a higher WR, in the same way the SD evolved to get 4x the WR of the Sub, and then the DSSD came along to just put everyone to shame.
When I say sacrifice I'm saying the Sub is 300m while the GMT is 100m. Rolex didn't try to make the GMT 300m WR and increase the thickness to match the Sub even though the case sizes are identical. Of course 100m WR is more than enough for just about any activity so the GMT WR is adequate for 99.9999% of the population.
Old 3 March 2021, 03:15 AM   #15
RamyAshour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I love GS and also the overall design on this, but the date window at 4:00 is just a crime (on any watch)

Its also too big and bulky for my taste (and small wrists), so I am awaiting a more "elegant" take on this watch
Old 3 March 2021, 03:44 AM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
I love GS and also the overall design on this, but the date window at 4:00 is just a crime (on any watch)

Its also too big and bulky for my taste (and small wrists), so I am awaiting a more "elegant" take on this watch
Meet it's kinder, gentler and more elegant cousin. Still has the 4:00 date (sorry)

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 04:00 AM   #17
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
I have a PO GMT. A lovely movement and probably the easiest watch to read in my collection.
I love the POs. Yes, a bit head heavy, but really well made in my experience. The quality of the new movements is also "superlative" (borrowing a term from a competitor). Not sure anything else compares regarding their resistance to magnetism either.
WalterE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 04:03 AM   #18
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Meet it's kinder, gentler and more elegant cousin. Still has the 4:00 date (sorry)

That is a handsome watch. Have no personal experience with a crown at 4. Perhaps it helps avoid the "tattoo" on the back of the hand some big sport watches can cause?

In love with my PO, although I wear it less and less for this reason. Panerai's crown guard solved the problem for me.
WalterE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 07:12 AM   #19
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, I agree.
Old 6 March 2021, 02:38 PM   #20
pullupj8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41, Aqua
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Yes, I agree.

That SBGE255 and the green SBGE257 are absolute stunners (at least based on pics). Hope to see either or both in the flesh soon. I have a PO2500 and a Speedy Date in my collection, so I’m used to the 14mm+ thickness.
pullupj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 07:16 PM   #21
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
It was impossible to get a GMT-Master II here in Asia, and I don’t want to pay for premium on the grey market nor bundle other watches that I don’t want.......so I looked at other brands: Omega and Panerai in particular.

Didn’t like PO GMT cause it’s thick like loaf of bread and AQ GMT’s dial is too messy so I ended up getting the Panerai PAM533 this year in January:

Current collection: Rolex Submariner 116610LV, Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional, Panerai Luminor GMT 10-days PAM533
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2021, 02:56 AM   #22
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

I've been exceptionally with this one. Purchased in 2007.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 08:20 AM   #23
rotaryworld12
Banned

Quote:

Yes I agree.
rotaryworld12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2021, 06:51 AM   #24
toptiertimepieces
Banned

Get a rolex gmt pepsi 16750. They are going for $12k. They were produced from 1995 to 2005
toptiertimepieces is offline   Reply With Quote