The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 26 July 2019, 08:56 AM   #1
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

First Rolex - Advice Wanted

Hey folks

Looking to acquire my first Rolex, but struggling on which model to go for...

Having trimmed my collection down to 3 watches including an Omega SMP (daily), an SKX (beater) and a G-Shock (gym) - I had my mind set on the Oyster Perpetual 116000 in black, the 36mm. I thought this would be a great addition to the collection to add some diversity. It would provide something to regularly wear in rotation, but also be more suited formal/dressy occasions when compared with the SMP. My conversations with an AD led me to believe this could be acquired within 0-3 months which suited my timing (Q4 2019) and was within budget.

I recently visited an AD, and whilst they didn't have the model in stock which I wanted, they had a DJ 36mm which I tried for size. Although very different, the sales rep said this would give me a good idea of how the OP would wear. The watch felt very small and the rep recommended I'd be better with the 39mm when looking for the OP. Unfortunately, there wasn't a model in this size to try at the time of my visit.

Moving away from the 36mm to a 39mm wasn't something I had previously envisaged. Now the larger size will likely be a better route for me, I am also considering the Explorer. For a little extra cash when compared to the OP39, I think the proposition offered by the Explorer (preferred dial, lume, clasp) is better value. I also think this model will still compliment my now reduced collection, and add something better suited for the rare formal settings. Drawbacks to this option are the fact the cost is slightly over my original budget, plus the additional wait time until the watch is available.

This then got me onto thinking that whilst I am increasing my budget, and moving away from the model I originally wanted, should I just look to acquire a Sub (no date) which is my current grail watch. I had planned on picking one of these up in a few years, but had wanted to diversify my collection a little before I did. Although this is a grail for me, it would be another extension to my budget, a longer wait time, and wouldn't add as much diversity.

Has anyone experience with any/a combination of/all of the models mentioned above - if so, what were your experiences, and what would your recommendation be?

Likewise, has anyone had their heart set on a model which wasn't quite right in the flesh? What did you do?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-07-25 at 22.42.04-min.png (143.4 KB, 83 views)
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 10:11 PM   #2
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Welcome
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 12:31 AM   #3
TudorTom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post

This then got me onto thinking that whilst I am increasing my budget, and moving away from the model I originally wanted, should I just look to acquire a Sub (no date) which is my current grail watch. I had planned on picking one of these up in a few years, but had wanted to diversify my collection a little before I did. Although this is a grail for me, it would be another extension to my budget, a longer wait time, and wouldn't add as much diversity.
If a Sub is what you truly want - and you don't think your tastes will change - I think you should save a little longer/wait a little longer/do whatever you need to do so you can get one.

I've found (in this, and most of my other hobbies) that it makes better financial sense to buy your "grail watch" (or whatever such item is) once, than it does to work your way up to it with one or more cheaper alternatives.

Second-best alternatives have never fully "scratched the itch" -- and once I've finally gotten the watch/other item I truly wanted in the first place, the cheaper ones I bought on the way there either got sold (sometimes at a loss) or kept and not worn/used nearly as often as they should.
TudorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 08:35 PM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Welcome and I would wait for the Sub!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 08:41 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum. Hold out for what you truly want is what I’d do
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 01:41 AM   #6
Lgear080
Banned

Please try on a five digit ss sub before you commit to a ceramic. I think you need to get out there and actually put a few watches on your wrist. The luster of the photos have swayed you before you even know how they feel.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 05:02 AM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Welcome.

Can't go wrong with any of them, but get the one that sings to you most
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 05:15 AM   #8
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Hello and welcome to the forum. Good choice you have there, each one is lovely.

It might be worth while trying on a few if you can. I personally prefer the 5 digit range in the sub etc, although its all down t personal choice and what fits you the best.

Good luck with the search.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 06:26 AM   #9
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Yes, the Explorer on the wrist didn't sing to me. I felt it was too small, a bit too uninteresting. The Submariner line ticked every box, and I think you'll find it's worth the wait. Don't settle just to get a crown on your wrist. Wait and you'll be happy to have held out for what you really wanted.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2019, 03:57 PM   #10
Audemars Piguet
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Welcome
Audemars Piguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2019, 12:05 AM   #11
StackLexus17
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Welcome. Sub no-date 100%, get something you REALLY want since you are going to spend the money.
StackLexus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2019, 12:08 PM   #12
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Welcome~~
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2019, 02:43 PM   #13
Watchyadoing?
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Never, ever, ever buy a 7,000 that you like to save 2,000 instead of getting THE watch you love.
I have an Explorer, cause I was madly in love with it from the moment I tried it on, but if you want a sub don’t get anything else. It just puts you that much further away from your sub.��

Best of luck!
Watchyadoing? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2019, 02:46 PM   #14
Watchyadoing?
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Also welcome... I probably should have started with that
Watchyadoing? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2019, 05:46 PM   #15
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for the input all - and thanks for the welcome greetings.

I think I'll go for the Sub - I can 'diversify' my collection later...
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 02:58 PM   #16
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Welcome to the forums and the Sub is an excellent choice! Looking forward to seeing the incoming!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote