The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 April 2020, 04:53 PM   #1
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Buy the Seller on a Daytona

I'm thinking of adding another Daytona to my collection and I was offered a nice 16520 (L series, full set, clasp code O, mark3 dial, mark 3 bezel, so all time correct) with strong case and sharp lugs, etc. Pictures of the watch here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12b2...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dR2...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Txe...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hXp...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18io...ew?usp=sharing

The issue I have is that the setting of the sale is let's say a bit questionable (seller was very flexible on pricing, claims to have bigger shop but showed me watch in a backyard setting, watch not fully as described in the Chrono24 offering, etc.). 

Offer is around € 33k. Would you still think about a purchase or go with the old mantra - you also have to buy the seller?
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 04:57 PM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I think the answer is in your question. (Unless C19 prevents him being in a shop)
Old 7 April 2020, 04:57 PM   #3
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

If you're sending that kind of $$. I wouldn't leave any room for doubt. Watch condition/representation, seller, terms etc....all has to be considered. But that's just me and maybe that's not much money to some people.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 11:32 PM   #4
Gee2789
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1967 Doxa 300 no-T
I feel collecting rewards patience. While there are times when you must move fast and commit to a rare watch, there are plenty of red flags here.

However, that is to say you can’t derisk some of this situation. Something as simple as having a video chat and the seller showing the watch can at least confirm they have the correct watch. Going through some kind of escrow or PayPal G&S is another. At another time I would’ve suggested hopping on a flight for a watch at that price, but that’s obviously not appropriate given our current COVID situation.
Gee2789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 12:57 AM   #5
1665fan
"TRF" Member

What is not fully described mean??? How off is the description. If I see lies in an add I’m not sending anybody 35k
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 01:09 AM   #6
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

The watch seems legit (see pictures) and mark3 bezel and dial as full set also justifies a premium.
However, when I saw watch live for the first time there were some scratches on the glas as well as the chrono minute hand jumps to 1 minute right after you start the chrono. Seller says he wants to fix both by a watchmaker.
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 01:46 AM   #7
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

If this is a face to face, and you're not sending a lot of money via wire, tell the seller if he is going to have this fixed (which will likely include service) you want it to go to your watch maker. I assume you have one, if not check reference section here. You'll know all you need to know afterward. If that price was OK for you prior, then with the fix/service you should feel pretty good about your purchase.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 03:26 AM   #8
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Hmmm, just be extra cautious. Scams worldwide are increasing (specially nowadays with Covid). He could be legit and the transaction to go smooth but I dont like it when a seller leaves unmentioned issues as (the buyer may not notice these things).
Stick to the Chrono policy and dont deviate from your comfort zone.
Good luck.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 04:07 AM   #9
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
If you're sending that kind of $$. I wouldn't leave any room for doubt. Watch condition/representation, seller, terms etc....all has to be considered. But that's just me and maybe that's not much money to some people.
I totally agree with this advice. I just had to unwind a deal for the first time, after sending a piece to my watchmaker. I was very happy with what I thought I had until an issue was discovered that wasn't clearly visible with dial in the case.

I know some sellers may balk at this practice during an inspection period, but this experience just further reinforced a need to always follow a due diligence process for me. It makes sense to have unbiased eyes take a look to confirm. We spend a lot of hard earned money as collectors on these non-essential items for personal enjoyment. It pays to have peace of mind, especially during these unusual times.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote