The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2018, 05:39 AM   #1
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Huge surprise/update....First AP coming.....

So for those who read my threads about the Beverly Hills experience and then trying on the 15400 and 15450 at an AD, I got a huge suprise on Friday.

So, after much thought, it became clear that the 15400 was not an option.
My wrist is not a flat 6.5", and if it wasn't for the fact that I have more muscular forearms, it would probably be closer to 6".
Despite getting some positive feedback on the forum here when I showed pics of the 15400, I realized that there is no way I could pull it off without it looking like a clock sitting on my wrist. The thinner bezel relative the dial just makes it look so much bigger than even my 44mm PAM 1312.

So, that left me thinking about the 15450 white/silver and possibly a ROO diver. I was working on a deal to perhaps get both as my first 2 AP's, when I heard back from Bal Harbor about a 15450 blue dial on Friday

I had been in touch with Jerome there for some time --all thanks to Ali on this forum-- and he told they received 3 blue dials this year that were spoken for and won't have anymore until 2019.
Then, he texts me back Friday after I reached out to him one more time (as I had to decide soon on the silver dial 15450 with the AD. And guess what he tells me?
They had literally just gotten word from AP HQ that they were getting a 4th blue dial 15450 that day and that it was mine if I wanted it, but had hours to act.

So I slept on it and pulled the trigger yesterday morning. The watch will be here early next week.

A few things about the dial: the 15450 blue dial is actually much darker than the 15400 blue dial, which Jerome confirmed with me. It seemed that way in pics, but I thought I was imagining it. I actually didn't love the Blue dial 15400 on the gold bracelet that I tried on, and it threw me off, b/c I loved the silver dial a lot in person.
Blue is my color and I've been obsessing over getting the right blue dial watch for quite some time (I even thought about getting the silver 15450 and then getting the Piaget Polo S blue dial, which I think is an incredible blue dial).
I just want a blue dial that is also legible, in addition to having that 'wow' factor.
The silver wowed me, and I normally don't like white dial watches at all.
The blue on the 15450 isn't the dark blue/flat blue of the 15202, which I think is still the best blue of the bunch, but it's darker than the 15400, which is what I was looking for.

My issue was that the 15450 with silver/white just seemed a bit more feminine c/w to owning the same model with a darker dial, with the smaller case and thinner bracelet, if that makes sense? Still, I was strongly considering the 15450 silver dial and think at some point I may still want one.
But on the 15400, the the silver dial >>>>blue dial, at least for me......if I had the wrist to pull it off.

Anyway, we will see how the 15450 blue dial wears and hopefully it's a keeper. If it's not, and I still have the desire to get the silver/white dial, I sell the blue dial in 6-12 months and always get the silver dial then. Hopefully, that won't happen and I love the blue dial 15450.
I just think it would be good to be patient since AP will be coming out with some new models by 2020 (I think). There could be some more silver/rheuthenium options then as well.
Also, I have a SS Daytona coming soon (fingers crossed). So the blue dial 15450 and the Daytona will be an amazing two watch combo to have been able to add to my small collection, whether it's a white dial (which I requested) or black dial Daytona.

I'll post pics of the 15450 when I get it, and I can't say enough good things about Bal Harbor boutique, after the less than stellar experience with Beverly Hills.
Jerome was determined to provide me with a good experience for my first AP after hearing about the Beverly Hills boutique story.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 06:31 AM   #2
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

awesome news, big congrats. u will undoubtedly be thrilled with this blue beauty!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 06:34 AM   #3
walds11
"TRF" Member

Congrats! I was winded after reading your post Looking forward to seeing some pics. I love mine!
Old 23 July 2018, 08:14 AM   #4
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Great news, bruinmd. As mentioned in your other thread, I agree that the Bal Harbour boutique is great--I worked with Francina and she's been fantastic.

I really like the white dialed 15450ST, and didn't think it looked feminine at all, but my wife didn't like it on me, so I went another way. :-)

But I didn't see the blue-dialed 15450ST in person. I'm sure you'll love it. The only blue-dialed Royal Oaks I was able to see in person before buying my Jumbo were the PM models, but I thought all of their blue dials were winners.

Congratulations!
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 08:37 AM   #5
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Congrats :)
Old 23 July 2018, 09:28 AM   #6
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Congrats!!!
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 02:34 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Congrats. That’s very odd they would use a different dial for the 450 vs the 400. They look the same to me in photos.
Old 23 July 2018, 02:50 PM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Great to hear ! I found the guys at Bal Harbour exceptionally welcoming when I was there a couple of years ago just trying various models on.

I hope the blue 15450 is everything you are after. Looking forward to seeing the incoming photos !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 06:32 PM   #9
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Congrats. That’s very odd they would use a different dial for the 450 vs the 400. They look the same to me in photos.
Yeah, why would they use a different dial, but looking at the stock photos on AP.com, the 15400 blue dial appears darker than the 15450 blue dial.

Description on AP.com:

15400 = blue
15450 = cobalt blue

So, maybe there is a difference?
Old 23 July 2018, 06:56 PM   #10
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Yeah, why would they use a different dial, but looking at the stock photos on AP.com, the 15400 blue dial appears darker than the 15450 blue dial.

Description on AP.com:

15400 = blue
15450 = cobalt blue

So, maybe there is a difference?
It's the other way around, Adam, and i think the photos reflect that: The 15450 is darker (per Jerome, "100% darker") than the 15400. It isn't as dark/flat as the 15202, but it's darker than the 15400.

I assumed the same as everyone else-- that the 2 dials were identical.
Old 23 July 2018, 08:37 PM   #11
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
It's the other way around, Adam, and i think the photos reflect that: The 15450 is darker (per Jerome, "100% darker") than the 15400. It isn't as dark/flat as the 15202, but it's darker than the 15400.

I assumed the same as everyone else-- that the 2 dials were identical.
Ok, fair enough. Either way, I like all the AP blue dials, including my 15450 blue
Old 23 July 2018, 10:46 PM   #12
Nad
"TRF" Member

That's great news, funny how a situation can change instantly, especially for the better!!!
Nad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 11:28 PM   #13
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Congrats! Look forward to the incoming pics.
Old 24 July 2018, 12:31 AM   #14
Billfav
"TRF" Member

You made a smart choice

I was in the same boat. My wrist is 6.75" but due to the flatness of the watch the 15400 just swam on me. I have problem pulling off larger sized watches but due the the shape of the RO it did not work. So I chose a 15450, the fact you got a blue one an added plus. Enjoy it in good health.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5886.JPG (103.9 KB, 283 views)
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 01:37 AM   #15
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
I was in the same boat. My wrist is 6.75" but due to the flatness of the watch the 15400 just swam on me. I have problem pulling off larger sized watches but due the the shape of the RO it did not work. So I chose a 15450, the fact you got a blue one an added plus. Enjoy it in good health.
thanks so much. BTW, I still LOVE the silver dial 15450............if AP ever comes out with a 39mm variant of this watch, I'm going to be all over it.
Looks great on your wrist.
Old 24 July 2018, 02:28 AM   #16
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Congrats, look forward to your pics!
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is online now   Reply With Quote