The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2018, 04:09 AM   #31
turborolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmichNJ View Post
I also try to be respectful and only buy watches that I will actually use and enjoy. My ADs appreciate that I am not a flipper and have been pretty good with getting me the pieces that I request.

I’m the same way... this year I turned down:

1. 5711 R
2. 5711 R again 2 months later
3. 5712 G
4. 5167 rose gold
5. Sky dweller black
6. Sky dweller white
7. CHNR
7. BLNR (last week)

and I didn’t want to be considered for a BLRO because I’m not a fan of the jubilee band and don’t believe it should be combined with an oyster clasp/buckle. It just looks wrong.

OP, I would get the 5524 and sell the other pilot as the 5524 is much more versatile and interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 July 2018, 08:59 AM   #32
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I don’t really get it - are you getting something because your AD said you can, or were you waiting for those 2 watches anyway?

Of the 2 I’d get the 5524.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its madness. Tons of people these days buy whatever they get offered so in general its pretty common. Over in the Rolex section its constant.... Im on the list for a blue sky dweller and got offered the black so i bought that. Or i want a white daytona but im buying the black because my AD offered me that one. I dont get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
People are buying because of FOMO. I was doing that with SS Rolex and it didn't pan out. I've now been a lot more calculated in my purchases and have been happier for it!

With Patek it's even crazier as we are talking very serious amounts of money!
Quote:
Agreed, Rolex might be even worse. I also wanted the blue Skydweller and ended up settling for white. I think it ended up being the right decision as I have been very happy with the watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
Exact same thing happened to me. I wanted the white daytona but offered black and TOLD to buy. I bought...didn't like it...sold it...asked for white...told no. I'll never do business with that AD again.

Since then I always make sure to drop by though with different Pateks/Rolexs on though to show the future business they lost out on with me.
Quote:
I also try to be respectful and only buy watches that I will actually use and enjoy. My ADs appreciate that I am not a flipper and have been pretty good with getting me the pieces that I request.
Quote:
I guess buying a different coloured dial in a Rolex is one thing, or even buying a sub instead of a GMT master as there is a lot of overlap in design, so I can understand that. But buying a Patek because it’s there is something else - agreed it’s crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
same here - i would never purchase a watch with the intent to flip...but i have had the thought of future access weigh on my purchase choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
It’s a JOKE is what it is.

Sorry — I just call it like I see it.

I am just glad I have all the references I want / need for now....an AD (and friend for many years- who laughs about the current state with me)....and other hobbies.

(And I’m the guy that turned down number one BLRO...as I didn’t want it) principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turborolex View Post
I’m the same way... this year I turned down:

1. 5711 R
2. 5711 R again 2 months later
3. 5712 G
4. 5167 rose gold
5. Sky dweller black
6. Sky dweller white
7. CHNR
7. BLNR (last week)

and I didn’t want to be considered for a BLRO because I’m not a fan of the jubilee band and don’t believe it should be combined with an oyster clasp/buckle. It just looks wrong.

OP, I would get the 5524 and sell the other pilot as the 5524 is much more versatile and interesting.

Agree 100% with these comments. It IS madness, particularly with Rolex and Patek. Have you bought the watch, or has the watch bought you?
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:11 AM   #33
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
Agree 100% with these comments. It IS madness, particularly with Rolex and Patek. Have you bought the watch, or has the watch bought you?

And people continue to feed the beast...meanwhile — I’m enjoying exploring the DOZENS for other brands out there - I’ve always admired - and an am now looking to add to the collection...Lange, Journe, Glashutte, Chopard, Zenith....among others.

Oh well. It’s where the market is....for now.

I’ve just never really been a ‘bandwagon’ kinda guy.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:52 AM   #34
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
And people continue to feed the beast...meanwhile — I’m enjoying exploring the DOZENS for other brands out there - I’ve always admired - and an am now looking to add to the collection...Lange, Journe, Glashutte, Chopard, Zenith....among others.

Oh well. It’s where the market is....for now.

I’ve just never really been a ‘bandwagon’ kinda guy.

Yes I believe that is the right way to look at things. And stepping away from sport watches, there is amazing value in haute horology "dress" watches at the moment, even chez Patek...
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 10:54 PM   #35
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
5524 is almost similar to the 5164 and IMO 5164 is a versatile travel time watch.

5205 - forget it as you have AC Nautilus in your collection.

You may want to consider a 5980r as a Patek Chrono is missing in your collection. It’s more versatile IMO.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 01:47 AM   #36
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the feedback. I decided to go with the 5524 since it is casual and the time zone feature is very useful to me.

UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 02:37 AM   #37
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Since you want casual and are already on the list for a 5711 (which was what I will recommend if you have not followed up with another post), what about a 5968? You will also have the honor of the first ever incoming in this forum

Attachment 968731

Beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 04:03 AM   #38
SkyBlue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’d still go 5524. For a watch with a similar look to the 5205 I think the 5905 is nicer.
5905 is a great choice.
SkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote