The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 31 May 2018, 12:56 PM   #31
Watchprofessor123
"TRF" Member

According to AP, there is no alternative for a leather or rubber strap on this watch. The only alternative offered by AP is to buy a new golden bracelet 19,806 Euro's.
The watch could be 20-24 years old, but what I am saying is that since the year 2004 the bracelet started to break regularly and went back to AP for regular repairs. Since 2008 I do not wear the watch any longer, as I have lost it twice. It were AP's own words that the bracelet could be out after 12 years. You should know how long it took them to finally admit this. And my friend has the exact same problem with a lady's Royal Oak. The point is that, in my opinion, AP is much less masterful than it pretends to be, especially in comparison to other prestigious brands. If you want to buy an AP, be ready for extremely high repair- and replacement costs.
Watchprofessor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:25 AM   #32
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchprofessor123 View Post
After 1,5 years of discussions and denial from Audemars Piquet's side, they finally had to admit that my Royal Oak bracelet was broken and irreparable. Their excuse: "Worn out after 12 years". Their only solution: A new bracelet. Price tag: 19,806 Euros!
My friend has exactly the same problem with her Royal Oak. Attachment 952729

Attachment 952730
Tons of stretch in that bracelet, barely recognizable.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:01 AM   #33
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Tons of stretch in that bracelet, barely recognizable.
It’s insane I didn’t even think it was possible to that extent
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 07:08 AM   #34
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
OP, you seem to be trying to assert that this is some sort of common issue with APs, and yet nobody here has seen anything of the sort. Further, you have contradicted yourself and what AP supposedly told you:

First, you said AP had told you "Worn out after 12 years", on what turns out to be a 20 year old watch.

Second, you said that your problems with the watch surfaced starting in year 2000, which is 18 years ago, not 12.

Third, if you are in Thailand as your sig claims, why is the estimate written in Dutch? Was it sent to Holland for some reason and not Switzerland? Considering that 0.2% of the population in Switzerland speak Dutch natively, that is...

Fourth, why are you only reproducing a part of the service order rather than the entire service order, i.e. one listing the watch model etc and their notes as to its condition etc?
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:54 PM   #35
Watchprofessor123
"TRF" Member

Improviz, I recommend you read my comments a few more time and then maybe you will get the meaning of it. It seems you are challenging me on whether I speak the truth or not. Well I do. I have not interest whatsoever in distorting any facts. It seems to be you are somehow on the payroll of AP. Anyway, I have done my job by publishing the defects of AP, in the case the broken bracelet. I want it to be known to the public, that's all. Its for other experts like you to take this to another level of suspicious discussion. Good luck.
Watchprofessor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 11:35 PM   #36
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
I read your comments several times and as pointed out above, the watch is around 20 years old, not 12, and you yourself would know this as you posted that the problems began in 2000, not 2006. If they began in 2000, the watch would still have been under warranty at that time, so why was it not sent to AP at that time?

I notice that you did not answer why invoice is in Dutch when AP HQ is in Switzerland and you are in Thailand. I think this is a valid question since you said it was sent to AP HQ, which is not in Holland after all, and Thailand is not a Dutch-speaking country...and surely you can scan the entire invoice so we can read their comments about the condition of the watch?

Also supposing for the sake of argument that despite numerous contradictions, omissions, and the oddity of the Dutch thing this is totally on the level, given that the watch is 20 years old, has obviously been abused in some fashion or at minimum severely neglected, what exact course of action would you expect AP to take? Replace a severely worn bracelet on a 20 year old watch for free? Do you think Rolex replaced these severely worn Oyster bracelets for free?

116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 08:35 AM   #37
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
I read your comments several times and as pointed out above, the watch is around 20 years old, not 12, and you yourself would know this as you posted that the problems began in 2000, not 2006. If they began in 2000, the watch would still have been under warranty at that time, so why was it not sent to AP at that time?

I notice that you did not answer why invoice is in Dutch when AP HQ is in Switzerland and you are in Thailand. I think this is a valid question since you said it was sent to AP HQ, which is not in Holland after all, and Thailand is not a Dutch-speaking country...and surely you can scan the entire invoice so we can read their comments about the condition of the watch?

Also supposing for the sake of argument that despite numerous contradictions, omissions, and the oddity of the Dutch thing this is totally on the level, given that the watch is 20 years old, has obviously been abused in some fashion or at minimum severely neglected, what exact course of action would you expect AP to take? Replace a severely worn bracelet on a 20 year old watch for free? Do you think Rolex replaced these severely worn Oyster bracelets for free?

Wasting the carpel tunnel effort on this guy. Thread needs to die as it makes no sense as presented by OP.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:13 AM   #38
Garrett1021
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Wasting the carpel tunnel effort on this guy. Thread needs to die as it makes no sense as presented by OP.

I know I am bringing up an old thread, but my two tone band looks similar to the band in these pictures, and I was wondering what the fix is (if any at all) to having the gold wear down where it meets the stainless. It is worn down because my wrist was too small and the band was very loose on me. I wore it like this for about a year before I noticed the damage and have switched to a leather band in the years since.

Is there any fix at all to having my gold wear down this way? Thanks everyone
Garrett1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 12:11 PM   #39
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I don't comprehend many answers to this thread. OP has the watch always been yours? If not, this bracelet isn’t “worn” rather “stretched”. Like somebody gained weight and continued to wear the watch with a wrist too thick for the strap. I’ve seen this many times, with people who have gained weight merely too lazy to add a link or, they don’t have one, and the watch is digging into their wrist with flesh raised either side of the bracelet. It doesn’t take gold long to stretch as it has a very low torsional strength compared to steel.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 09:17 AM   #40
Roccio
"TRF" Member

This is a rather common issue with older gold ROs. Back then bracelets were thinner & less sturdy, with regular wear & tear the holes in the midlinks would get larger and cause that "stretch" to happen.

I would look elsewhere to get service done or even make a custom strap to fit the watch. If it was 2K euros for pins and midlinks I'd totally do it, but 20K is ridiculous and waaaaay over what that watch is probably worth.

I recall there were few shops in HK that would do this kind of bracelet stretch remedy service although they were NOT cheap(starts at 1k++)
Roccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:13 AM   #41
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Wow that watch probably has some stories!
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote