The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 March 2019, 06:50 AM   #1
kumar75203
Banned

Out of state sales tax

Is there a new law (very recent) where jewelers are legally required to charge sales tax on out of state purchases?

I bought a Rolex from NYC shipped to Dallas two weeks ago and wasn’t charged sales tax.

Currently attempting to buy an AP from a different jeweler in NYC and am being told he is required to charge sales tax now to residents from all but five states.
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 06:52 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

you have always been required to pay it... to the state. retailers just didn't collect it

5 states dont have sales tax

AFAIK you are paying texas sales tax not NY sales tax and the retailer is collecting it on behalf of texas where the watch is going and where it is due since you are using the product there. Like paying VAT in the UK when you import something
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 06:59 AM   #3
kumar75203
Banned

Thanks

So technically a lot of these retailers are breaking the law by not collecting at the time of sale?
Old 22 March 2019, 07:02 AM   #4
Fencer
"TRF" Member

Some are still flying under the radars, but yes, as far as I know they are all required.
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 07:04 AM   #5
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar75203 View Post
Is there a new law (very recent) where jewelers are legally required to charge sales tax on out of state purchases?

I bought a Rolex from NYC shipped to Dallas two weeks ago and wasn’t charged sales tax.

Currently attempting to buy an AP from a different jeweler in NYC and am being told he is required to charge sales tax now to residents from all but five states.
Depends on retailer. You always supposed to pay when you do your taxes but retailers was not required to collect it. Even in same states, collection varies with retailer.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 07:07 AM   #6
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Thanks

So technically a lot of these retailers are breaking the law by not collecting at the time of sale?
No, technically you're breaking the law by not paying the tax.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 07:07 AM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer View Post
Some are still flying under the radars, but yes, as far as I know they are all required.
same as what buyers use to do... flew under the radar. The obligation to your state was always there

I guess the positive if a retailer is not collecting is thats on them i suppose, previously it was on you to self report. That would be an interesting legal argument as now you can say the retailers obligation is to follow the law, you are just buying and have an expectation they are doing it legally. Probably wouldn't work, but its easier to play dumb if the burden is not on you anymore.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 March 2019, 07:09 AM   #8
kumar75203
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
dP
Well that’s why I’m confused.

Is it the retailer’s lawful responsibility to charge it? Or is the consumer supposed to self report it to the tax office?

Edit: or as Tyler just said, that’s the change in the law? Dealers are supposed to charge it now so it’s jot left in the hands of the consumer.
Old 22 March 2019, 07:11 AM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Well that’s why I’m confused.

Is it the retailer’s lawful responsibility to charge it? Or is the consumer supposed to self report it to the tax office?
Self report. But that obviously didn't work.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 22 March 2019, 07:13 AM   #10
kumar75203
Banned

Quote:
Self report. But that obviously didn't work.
dP
Did you even bother to read the question that was asked?
Old 22 March 2019, 07:14 AM   #11
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Saw this for the first time. Note the price in the third line and what comes after it. Glad I live in Delaware. The days of the honor system is coming to an end.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=656862
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 07:29 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
New tax laws call for Internet and mail-order purchases to be charged tax for the destination state be phased in.
Old 22 March 2019, 07:32 AM   #13
RichM

Quote:
This should help clear things up. https://www.salestaxinstitute.com/sa...lect_sales_tax
TRF #139960
Old 22 March 2019, 07:33 AM   #14
El-Duderino
"TRF" Member

So, yes, as the purchaser you are supposed to self report if an item you purchased that was shipped to you from out of state did not include sales tax. How many do this? I’m going to guess very few people.

This typically applies to anything purchased that was shipped across state lines. However, the state department of revenue is not going to spend the time and resources to get that $2 for the shirt you bought from some online store.
El-Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 07:38 AM   #15
sirC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
South Dakota VS Wayfair ruling is the cause I believe
sirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 07:39 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Duderino View Post
So, yes, as the purchaser you are supposed to self report if an item you purchased that was shipped to you from out of state did not include sales tax. How many do this? I’m going to guess very few people.

This typically applies to anything purchased that was shipped across state lines. However, the state department of revenue is not going to spend the time and resources to get that $2 for the shirt you bought from some online store.
seems as the marketing gurus could have sold this better. Since its not a tax increase at all. ...

its the "eliminating consumer burden and paperwork, streamlined and efficient taxation act of 2019"

The only other option is to do what most of the rest of the world does and have a national sales tax instead as most sales taxes are pretty close anyway (8%-ish as far as i know, there are outliers though). Manchester doesnt set different VAT rates from London as its on a national level. How its distributed back to the states i have no idea though.

Its weird how it is now because its like exporting and importing between states, usually thats what you get crossing international borders.
Old 22 March 2019, 07:39 AM   #17
RichM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirC View Post
Correct June 21, 2018 was the date of the Supreme Court Ruling.
TRF #139960
Old 22 March 2019, 07:47 AM   #18
El-Duderino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
seems as the marketing gurus could have sold this better. Since its not a tax increase at all. ...

its the "eliminating consumer burden and paperwork, streamlined and efficient taxation act of 2019"

The only other option is to do what most of the rest of the world does and have a national sales tax instead as most sales taxes are pretty close anyway (8%-ish). Manchester doesnt set different VAT rates from London as its on a national level.

I can tell you, it is a real pain in the butt if you’re a business trying to keep track of who charged sales tax and who didn’t for things you purchased. I wish they would hurry up and streamline it here in the US as putting that burden on the consumer is onerous busywork.
El-Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 07:53 AM   #19
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Yeah they the big AD’s have started collecting sales tax.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 08:07 AM   #20
77T

Out of state sales tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirC View Post

Yes...that’s it.

There aren’t “new” laws...States always had sales tax codes on their books governing interstate deliveries. The nexus for a retailer paying sales tax was “presence” in the distant State.

The Supreme Court 2018 ruling interpreted Internet commerce as nexus in SD v Wayfair. So some States are now scrambling in their legislatures to add Internet sales nexus to their tax codes. Many already had it in their codes like South Dakota did.

Now here’s a twist - the retailer must pay the tax but they have the right to swallow that without collecting it from you. Then, as Dan said, you must pay use tax in your own State. Twisted, eh?

Save your receipts in case some enterprising State Revenue staffs begin using data-driven tax collection efforts. If your distant seller collected sales tax on your $400,000 PP, but never submitted it, you sure don’t want the State trying to get it from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 08:48 AM   #21
Maybelline
Banned

How else are we going to pay for all these social programs?

Me. I always try to pay as little taxes as I can.
Maybelline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 07:04 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
How else are we going to pay for all these social programs?

Me. I always try to pay as little taxes as I can.
state and local taxes are the least abstract taxes there are as you see what they go for since its on a local level and where you live. Schools, police, parks, roads, etc. I get the idea of being anti-tax but taxes on a more local level isn't the same thing as far as "what am i paying for"

being from Montana originally i wish we had a sales tax as every year paying like $1000 to register your car to make up for the fact their is no sales tax puts more burden on specific people where as in texas the same car is like $40 per year. With a sales tax people who visit the state and use public services like roads, police, parks, etc also leave some of their money behind to help pay for it when they buy something. In Montana, we subsidize all the tourists with residents paying higher taxes on our property and our cars but the tourists get the benefit of what we are paying for when they visit ...for free.
Old 22 March 2019, 11:04 PM   #23
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
state and local taxes are the least abstract taxes there are as you see what they go for since its on a local level and where you live. Schools, police, parks, roads, etc. I get the idea of being anti-tax but taxes on a more local level isn't the same thing as far as "what am i paying for"

being from Montana originally i wish we had a sales tax as every year paying like $1000 to register your car to make up for the fact their is no sales tax puts more burden on specific people where as in texas the same car is like $40 per year. With a sales tax people who visit the state and use public services like roads, police, parks, etc also leave some of their money behind to help pay for it when they buy something. In Montana, we subsidize all the tourists with residents paying higher taxes on our property and our cars but the tourists get the benefit of what we are paying for when they visit ...for free.
I pay for needles so people can shoot heroine. I get an excise tax bill on our cars every year so they can “fix the roads”. I pay for programs that I can not mention here because it will start a war.

Should I keep going?

I only want to pay my fair share. That is it. Btw I live in Taxachusetts.
Old 22 March 2019, 11:15 PM   #24
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
dP
Technically speaking, it is the business's responsibility to collect the sales tax, period. They are the entity that actually is liable to the state for all sales taxes collected. If no tax is collected, the state is not coming after the buyer, it is the business that gets the heat. However tif he seller is a non-commercial entity, then it is the buyers responsibility to pay a "use" tax as opposed to a sales tax.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:22 PM   #25
Maybelline
Banned

Technically if I drive 66mph in a 65 zone I’m breaking the law.
Old 22 March 2019, 11:34 PM   #26
77T

Out of state sales tax

Quote:

In Montana, we subsidize all the tourists with residents paying higher taxes on our property and our cars but the tourists get the benefit of what we are paying for when they visit ...for free.

Not so fast...I’ve paid

https://mtrevenue.gov/taxes/miscella...ging-facility/

And communities add resort taxes...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 11:45 PM   #27
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, hence my answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Technically speaking, it is the business's responsibility to collect the sales tax, period. They are the entity that actually is liable to the state for all sales taxes collected. If no tax is collected, the state is not coming after the buyer, it is the business that gets the heat. However tif he seller is a non-commercial entity, then it is the buyers responsibility to pay a "use" tax as opposed to a sales tax.
Thanks for the clarification.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 23 March 2019, 02:23 AM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Not so fast...I’ve paid

https://mtrevenue.gov/taxes/miscella...ging-facility/

And communities add resort taxes...

we pay that too.

Generally speaking a sales tax in a state with a lot of tourists means they leave some of that money. Shopping etc

there is basically a hotel tax and thats pretty much it
Old 23 March 2019, 02:28 AM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
I pay for needles so people can shoot heroine. I get an excise tax bill on our cars every year so they can “fix the roads”. I pay for programs that I can not mention here because it will start a war.

Should I keep going?

I only want to pay my fair share. That is it. Btw I live in Taxachusetts.
i would just be happy if everyone paid their fair share. We just bought a house in Houston. In a very good school district and we paid through the nose as our property taxes are way high because the home values are high because of the schools. My wife works with a guy who uses a friends address so his kids can go to the good school too. He totally could afford to live there too but doesnt want to pay for it.... its tax avoidance and we pay for his kids to be educated, he doesnt. He actually lives further enough out that his home value is lower and his taxes are lower. Apparently lots of people do stuff like that.
Old 23 March 2019, 05:37 AM   #30
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
i would just be happy if everyone paid their fair share. We just bought a house in Houston. In a very good school district and we paid through the nose as our property taxes are way high because the home values are high because of the schools. My wife works with a guy who uses a friends address so his kids can go to the good school too. He totally could afford to live there too but doesnt want to pay for it.... its tax avoidance and we pay for his kids to be educated, he doesnt. He actually lives further enough out that his home value is lower and his taxes are lower. Apparently lots of people do stuff like that.
Protest the home value. I protest every year to keep from paying through the nose. Whatever my final assessment is, I pay up in January.

I think the biggest chunk goes to the school district and I have no kids. I don't benefit directly but don't really complain about it either since it's better for the neighborhood to have well funded schools to educate kids.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote