The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 February 2024, 01:48 PM   #1
Snapchatog7
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Royal Oak Blue or Green Dial worth the premium?

This might seem like a stupid question, but I am curious why there is so much hype for the BLUE dial Royal Oaks? Specifically for the new 26240ST 2022+ versions.

To my understanding AP made 10000 of each color of the 26240ST. White, black, grey, blue, and green.

If there are the same quantities of color dials in the market why are people putting a 20-30% premium on the grey market to get their hands on a BLUE or GREEN dial vs White or black?

Is this a fad that will soon fade? Or is to be believed that BLUE and GREEN wlll forever carry this 20-30% premium in the market?

I am debating going with BLUE, but also it seems a little painful to pay $10k+ more than getting the white.
Snapchatog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 02:43 PM   #2
sj24k
"TRF" Member

hype is driven by social media and marketing more so than production numbers (for many references).

is it worth the premium? you tell me.

worth is all relative.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 03:30 PM   #3
Gandor
"TRF" Member

AP makes 50k watches a year, how are you allocating the entire production to the 26240ST.
Old 14 February 2024, 03:43 PM   #4
Narbeh
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
AP makes 50k watches a year, how are you allocating the entire production to the 26240ST.
Narbeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 03:58 PM   #5
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapchatog7 View Post
To my understanding AP made 10000 of each color of the 26240ST. White, black, grey, blue, and green.
Total production is 50k/yr. So even over two years, it's rather unlikely that they've produced 40k 26240STs. FHB stated in some interview that production of any given model per year was capped at 1400 or so (per dial color, so ~6k of the 26240ST).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 06:00 PM   #6
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
To answer your question about whether it’s a fad? Blue dials have been very popular and generally the most sought after dial colour for a long time, with many watch brands, carrying a higher premium than other colours. Doesn’t mean it’s a better colour, just has more demand. As to green, that’s a colour that seems to have really gained popularity in recent years - be it AP, Rolex or Patek, among others. My guess is that it will remain high in demand, but long term blue will be more popular.

To answer your question about it being worth it? Only you can answer that. If you are going to buy a blue or green dial, pay X amount more and wear it for 5 or 10 years and love the colour and the watch, then yes it’s worth it. If you’re only buying that dial because of the hype and end up flipping it, then no it’s not worth it.

Fortunately with AP, all their dial colours are great in my opinion, so you can’t go wrong whatever you choose.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 06:00 PM   #7
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
If you’ve not checked out a RO with silver/white dial, I’d strongly recommend that you do.

For me personally, it’s probably my favourite dial colour on the 3 hand RO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 08:13 PM   #8
shafran
"TRF" Member

Its funny

These days after seeing so many blue dials on so many watches, I am preferring black. But one of my aps is blue.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 10:10 PM   #9
Atmwireless
"TRF" Member

I’d say the premium is because more people request green or blue. I doubt most walk in asking for a white or black dial if they had a choice. Maybe 8-10 people walk in asking for a green or blue dial and are only offered white or black and still take it since it’s still an amazing watch. Im sure people have passed on black or white but no ones passing on a blue or green dial if offered. Just my 2 cents. It’s hype….but we all want what’s “best”
Atmwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 10:11 PM   #10
messikens
"TRF" Member

It's worth more if people are willing to pay more for it... Since the blue dial prices are higher, I conclude...?
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2024, 10:45 PM   #11
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Previous CEO has said 50K watches per year, max 1,400 per reference and they have 233 references currently on the website.
Blue - well the very first RO back in 1972 had a blue dial.
Green - it was launched for the first time for the 50th anniversary, at least in a steel RO as far as I can remember.
While black and silver/white have been in the catalog for some time.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 02:45 AM   #12
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

As an owner of a green 26240st, I wish I asked for the blue instead honestly. Blue is such a classic color and obviously the original 5402 was blue.

I would pay a premium for blue if I was going grey. Green might just be a temporary fad / trend that doesn’t have the staying power of a blue dial RO in the long term.
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 02:55 AM   #13
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Green is an interesting value prop because it's a new color, total market supply is inherently limited. If it gets discontinued anytime soon it will skyrocket. If it becomes a long term color blue will always reign supreme imo.
Old 15 February 2024, 03:17 AM   #14
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex and more
I think what commands the premium is purely the supply, has nothing to do with the color, it's down to how AP allocates their production numbers. If tomorrow they were pumping more blue/green dials and made the silver/black scarcer, guaranteed that the premiums would be reflected accordingly...
SylvainDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 03:45 AM   #15
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Individual tastes of course vary, but to me the blue just seems to go with everything and has nice contrast. Green is beautiful too but when I owned a green dialed watch, I felt it didn't go with what I was wearing most of the time. Personally, I prefer blue > black > white > green.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 04:55 AM   #16
Snapchatog7
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. I did end up going with the white/silver dial on the 26240ST.

I do agree if you are at the AD and they ask you blue or green you are taking those over any other option. but for grey market it just didn't make sense to pay the premium when I already think silver/white is a awesome dial.
Old 15 February 2024, 05:33 AM   #17
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

Before choosing, go check the différents variations. Either chrono or 3 hand to look at how you like these colors. Then choose :)
TheHolyLuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 08:10 AM   #18
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvainDXB View Post
I think what commands the premium is purely the supply, has nothing to do with the color, it's down to how AP allocates their production numbers. If tomorrow they were pumping more blue/green dials and made the silver/black scarcer, guaranteed that the premiums would be reflected accordingly...
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. If you look at the silver dial 15500 ST, it had the shortest production run of all the colors yet is the cheapest
Old 15 February 2024, 09:52 AM   #19
Snapchatog7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. If you look at the silver dial 15500 ST, it had the shortest production run of all the colors yet is the cheapest

This is also what I wanted to address with the supply and demand argument. The lease posted for sale dial online right now for the 26240ST is the white/silver. There are far more blues on the market currently.
Old 15 February 2024, 10:18 AM   #20
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapchatog7 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. I did end up going with the white/silver dial on the 26240ST.

I do agree if you are at the AD and they ask you blue or green you are taking those over any other option. but for grey market it just didn't make sense to pay the premium when I already think silver/white is a awesome dial.
Phew, you redeemed yourself with your second post……..
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 12:59 PM   #21
T.Stanley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
And the white dial 15550st. It was a 50th anniversary and made for only one year.
T.Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2024, 01:08 PM   #22
mgorb
"TRF" Member

What I love about my green 26240ST is that in low light the dial 100% looks black, while in bright light it takes on that awesome olive “khaki” green. It’s like two watches in one! So worth paying a little extra for the bonus dial. ��
mgorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 12:20 AM   #23
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorb View Post
What I love about my green 26240ST is that in low light the dial 100% looks black, while in bright light it takes on that awesome olive “khaki” green. It’s like two watches in one! So worth paying a little extra for the bonus dial. ��
haha that's what I actually don't like about the green 26240st dial. I wish the green was brighter and more present. it's certainly a more muted green and looks black or dark gray like 75% of the time unless i am outside under the sun. ive only had my roc for about a month now, and honestly I'm kind of bored with it. definitely regret not asking for the blue instead. the 26331BA green is so nice and would look amazing in steel imo

I think blue is worth the premium and will likely always have a premium over all other colors in the long run, regardless whether or not RO's trade below/above msrp. green....I have no idea
Old 16 February 2024, 04:08 AM   #24
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
haha that's what I actually don't like about the green 26240st dial. I wish the green was brighter and more present. it's certainly a more muted green and looks black or dark gray like 75% of the time unless i am outside under the sun. ive only had my roc for about a month now, and honestly I'm kind of bored with it. definitely regret not asking for the blue instead. the 26331BA green is so nice and would look amazing in steel imo

I think blue is worth the premium and will likely always have a premium over all other colors in the long run, regardless whether or not RO's trade below/above msrp. green....I have no idea
Just food for thought but while yes, the green can look black, there’s alot more options for blue. If you are a one and done, blue ROC for sure. Expanded collection? A green ROC, then blue RO (15510 or jumbo etc) makes sense
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2024, 04:37 AM   #25
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Just food for thought but while yes, the green can look black, there’s alot more options for blue. If you are a one and done, blue ROC for sure. Expanded collection? A green ROC, then blue RO (15510 or jumbo etc) makes sense
Agreed. That was one of the main reasons I asked for the green. Already have a blue 15510 and would like a 16202 in the future too. Didn’t want 3 blue ROs. Not sure I made the right decision, but my thoughts might change in a few months or years
Old 16 February 2024, 05:01 AM   #26
Atmwireless
"TRF" Member

If it’s from an ad…. Going to be hard going from a blue dial to a green dial. First watch yes they do hook up customers time to time like a lot of people have said…. But back to back blue then green going to be tough unless your pairing it with a code or offshore
Atmwireless is offline   Reply With Quote