The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 February 2024, 06:34 AM   #1
watchman124
"TRF" Member

Selling AD Watches - Instant Ban?

Hi All - Question for the group. How certain is it that if you sell some of your AD watches you'll be instantly (and permanently) banned by AP? I bought several watches from the AD over the last year but am now realizing getting the stuff I want from an AD is probably just not feasible so I want to trade in two of the pieces I've gotten from them towards something I actually want. Neither of which are "hot" or trading above retail. Should I assume my "journey" with AP will be done as soon as someone re-registers the card in their name? Or is it not so black and white. If they did, do they usually do like a time limit and I could revisit the brand in a few years? Just curious what others experiences have been with this.
watchman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 07:59 AM   #2
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman124 View Post
Hi All - Question for the group. How certain is it that if you sell some of your AD watches you'll be instantly (and permanently) banned by AP? I bought several watches from the AD over the last year but am now realizing getting the stuff I want from an AD is probably just not feasible so I want to trade in two of the pieces I've gotten from them towards something I actually want. Neither of which are "hot" or trading above retail. Should I assume my "journey" with AP will be done as soon as someone re-registers the card in their name? Or is it not so black and white. If they did, do they usually do like a time limit and I could revisit the brand in a few years? Just curious what others experiences have been with this.
It's case by case, but I would say if you're selling something within 2 years then it's likely going to backfire on you. out of curiosity what pieces did you get from the AD and why would accept them if you really didn't want them? IMO it's never worth it to buy a watch you don't love, always ends up being a burden.
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 08:17 AM   #3
APhound
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t worry about it. Do whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 09:25 AM   #4
sj24k
"TRF" Member

once i buy a watch it's mine to do with what i please. have never given it a second thought. if a salesperson or AD wants to ban me, or somehow penalize me for selling my personal property, so be it. life's too short to worry about that. probably why i buy most things from trusted resellers on the open market.
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 09:56 AM   #5
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I would have a conversation with your SA. Let them know you have fallen out of love with the pieces and want to move on. A lot of times, they are understanding of it if you have a good relationship with them and know that you are not a flipper.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 10:25 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
As long as you don't put yourself in those Dealer accessed databases instituted by some of the luxury brands, you're golden.
Old 23 February 2024, 12:37 PM   #7
Atmwireless
"TRF" Member

Speak to your sales person and let them know you’re selling to buy something else. You get flagged when the report comes and they find out.

If you tell them prior that this is your plan…. You will be fine
Atmwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:40 PM   #8
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
As long as you don't put yourself in those Dealer accessed databases instituted by some of the luxury brands, you're golden.
Probably too late for OP, as AP tends to register the watches at the time of sale. Not registering also means foregoing the extended warranty and free coverage/insurance service (as well as defeating his plan of of buying watches to build purchase history).

Better approach is not to buy watches one doesn't actually want. In OP's shoes, as already suggested, I'd have a conversation with the SA. They are going to find out in any case.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 12:51 PM   #9
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmwireless View Post
Speak to your sales person and let them know you’re selling to buy something else. You get flagged when the report comes and they find out.

If you tell them prior that this is your plan…. You will be fine
what I told my SA as well. If there are any pieces you plans to sell you should let you SA know in advance.
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 01:10 PM   #10
IFlyPlanes
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t be so paranoid if you don’t have a history of reselling. I’ve sold 2 watches last year and still get calls all the time. Hell, I took a loss on the 2 watches.

They are your watches. Frankly I don’t think Rolex cares. Your AD might on the other hand but again, as long as they aren’t getting kickbacks or enabling volume reselling, they get their commission.
IFlyPlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 03:21 PM   #11
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I have to agree with the posters above and just talk to your AD and let him know whats the plan

Also if the pieces your dumping are clearly NOT hot flippable Watches then I think you will be GOOD TO GO ANYWAY! as your clearly not pulling the Get the Hot Piece and flip it trick!
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 08:19 PM   #12
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyPlanes View Post
I wouldn’t be so paranoid if you don’t have a history of reselling. I’ve sold 2 watches last year and still get calls all the time. Hell, I took a loss on the 2 watches.

They are your watches. Frankly I don’t think Rolex cares. Your AD might on the other hand but again, as long as they aren’t getting kickbacks or enabling volume reselling, they get their commission.
This is not Rolex the OP was asking about, this is AP, that has been curating their sales network for years now, and typically tracks the registration of every single watch. And they do care.
Audevache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2024, 10:20 PM   #13
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post
This is not Rolex the OP was asking about, this is AP, that has been curating their sales network for years now, and typically tracks the registration of every single watch. And they do care.

I full agree with you - apples to oranges comparison. Rolex makes 1m+ watches a year, AP makes 45k at a much higher price point.

APhas more to lose from flipping and more to gain from a Veblen good perception. Combine with an in house distribution and they do track these
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 02:04 AM   #14
IFlyPlanes
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post

Thanks for clarifying! I honestly don’t even know how I got here
IFlyPlanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 02:15 AM   #15
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
What refs are you selling?
Old 24 February 2024, 04:34 AM   #16
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
I full agree with you - apples to oranges comparison. Rolex makes 1m+ watches a year, AP makes 45k at a much higher price point.

APhas more to lose from flipping and more to gain from a Veblen good perception. Combine with an in house distribution and they do track these
This ^^^^^

In absolute reality Rolex couldn't care less about people reselling their watches but, obviosuly, they'd never admit that openly.

The AP business, and distribution, model is totally different and rightly so.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 06:39 AM   #17
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
This ^^^^^

In absolute reality Rolex couldn't care less about people reselling their watches but, obviosuly, they'd never admit that openly.

The AP business, and distribution, model is totally different and rightly so.
not only doesn't Rolex care, the ADs know Rolex doesn't care and that's why so many of them sell hot pieces out the side door to greys for a premium. AD can't get you a Pepsi? no worries theres a grey with 6 of them, all new with stickers LOL!
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2024, 11:09 AM   #18
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
not only doesn't Rolex care, the ADs know Rolex doesn't care and that's why so many of them sell hot pieces out the side door to greys for a premium. AD can't get you a Pepsi? no worries theres a grey with 6 of them, all new with stickers LOL!
Totally agree.

Slightly OT, I'm still curious if the recent acquisition of Bucherer was a purely opportunistic move or if there is, or will be anytime soon, some form of a different approach to distribution at Rolex.

I've been registered for a Panda Daytona at Bucherer now for more than 5 years (even had to reconfirm my interest when they changed the model number), and a mint green Sky Dweller since it was launched, with at least some Rolex purchase history, and I don't think I'll actually ever get one of those.

I personally prefer the approach by AP. Yes it is annoying not being able to sell any AP as you see fit (their marketing may as well be "you never actually own your AP, you merely look after it"....), but at least the policy at AP is a relatively transparent way of dealing with scarcity, and it feels somewhat less like that other artificial scarcity created by AD shenanigans.
Audevache is online now   Reply With Quote