The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 April 2018, 04:48 AM   #1
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Vintage Tudor Guides?

Hi all,

I’ve just recently gotten into vintage watches, and have been falling in love with the old vintage Tudor models with the rose - usually those dated pre 1960s and simple gents watches. I used the search tool on the forum as well as good ol’ Google, but there doesn’t seem to be some sort of definitive guide to Tudor vintage watches. I’d love to be directed to some guides that have information such as when Tudor switches from rose to shield, some reference numbers and popular models. There seem to be lots of info on vintage Rolex but not on Tudors. Been itching to get myself a vintage Tudor but not until I build some sort of wealth of information first
mrs_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 12:37 PM   #2
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Be very careful. Lots of fake Tudors out there. Post pics on here before you buy. Look for orchi’s sticky article on legit shield Tudor subs.
harry in montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 01:00 AM   #3
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Be very careful. Lots of fake Tudors out there. Post pics on here before you buy. Look for orchi’s sticky article on legit shield Tudor subs.

I’m aware! There’s not much availability on info for Tudors when it comes to spotting fakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 April 2018, 02:28 AM   #4
cardiel
"TRF" Member

https://tudorcollector.com/about/
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 12:19 PM   #5
highcotton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1972 Red Sub
This is a good resource if you can find a copy.

highcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_LA View Post
Hi all,

I’ve just recently gotten into vintage watches, and have been falling in love with the old vintage Tudor models with the rose - usually those dated pre 1960s and simple gents watches. I used the search tool on the forum as well as good ol’ Google, but there doesn’t seem to be some sort of definitive guide to Tudor vintage watches. I’d love to be directed to some guides that have information such as when Tudor switches from rose to shield, some reference numbers and popular models. There seem to be lots of info on vintage Rolex but not on Tudors. Been itching to get myself a vintage Tudor but not until I build some sort of wealth of information first
Do you mean something like this?: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=571042
Old 19 April 2018, 03:44 PM   #7
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Do you mean something like this?: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=571042
WOW!!! What a gem!
Old 19 April 2018, 07:21 PM   #8
gman5515
"TRF" Member

The Tudors are definitely not as well documented and popular as Rolex, but there are some useful infos out there. Tudor collector website was very useful for me when i was searching on the Tudor Submariner infos.

Tudor themselves have since last year posted some history on their respective watches:

https://www.tudorwatch.com/magazine/history
gman5515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 12:58 AM   #9
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5515 View Post
The Tudors are definitely not as well documented and popular as Rolex, but there are some useful infos out there. Tudor collector website was very useful for me when i was searching on the Tudor Submariner infos.

Tudor themselves have since last year posted some history on their respective watches:

https://www.tudorwatch.com/magazine/history

Thank you! I have looked into the Tudor watch website, but none have provided as much detail to unpopular releases. I’m looking in particular for various productions that aren’t necessarily Oyster Prince - there tend to be more of those. For example, I came across this rather old Tudor that I can’t seem to find reference for.

IMG_6568.JPG

IMG_6569.JPG

Old 20 April 2018, 06:17 PM   #10
gman5515
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you! I have looked into the Tudor watch website, but none have provided as much detail to unpopular releases. I’m looking in particular for various productions that aren’t necessarily Oyster Prince - there tend to be more of those. For example, I came across this rather old Tudor that I can’t seem to find reference for.

Attachment 944788

Attachment 944789

I stand corrected, but seems like this would be a watch from the 1950s.. hmm, give me a couple of days, maybe I could find something. Have a good weekend!
gman5515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 06:28 PM   #11
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:

Attachment 944788

Attachment 944789

That's nice, I haven't seen that dial before, with Dustproof. Looks real, anyway. Late 40s-early 50s I would say.
Old 21 April 2018, 01:52 PM   #12
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Some of the gentlemen at a different forum pointed out that it has been most likely redialed, with hands replaced. At the price point I guess I would hold off on it, since it doesn't seem to be in a decent collectible condition.
Old 21 April 2018, 05:00 PM   #13
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Just reading the thread & thought you might like to see my old Tudor. I don't know the reference & have never taken the back off ,but it's 9k gold case & thought you might like to have another Tudor to reference against .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (155.1 KB, 157 views)
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 05:35 AM   #14
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
Just reading the thread & thought you might like to see my old Tudor. I don't know the reference & have never taken the back off ,but it's 9k gold case & thought you might like to have another Tudor to reference against .
WOW! Now THAT is a beautiful vintage watch in very pristine condition.