The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 August 2018, 04:44 AM   #1
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Is the Aquanaut 5167 a beater watch...??

An interesting article by Justin Mastine-Frost that I want to share with you guys.....

Do you guys agree or disagree to the Aquanaut 5167 is a beater watch........

As for myself Aquanaut 5167 is one of my favorite steel watch that can be wear everyday..... No about it doubt......

But as a beater watch.....??

The 5167 would look really terrible due to the easily scratches bezel....

I even have a Rolex Explorer II.... And I don't treat it as a beater watch, as again the bezel can scratches easily....

If I have to pick a beater watch, it would be a Rolex Submariner C......

But then again.... I'm careful with all my watches......

Even if you want a Aquanaut 5167 as a beater watch, You can't even walk into the AD to get one today because it a sought after piece...

You could read the article below....

Every Day Favorite Steel Watches

While grande complications, precious metals, and other delicate niceties are always coveted by watch collectors, even the least practical of us still have a soft-spot for a good “everyday watch”. To be fair, some of us (myself included) cycle through our collection on the regular, however we all have favorites that are an easy grab-and-go; watches that can be thrown on without thinking about the day’s activities, matching attire, or any potential risks of wear-and-tear.

Call it a “beater watch”, tool watch, or just your daily wearer, but regardless of title there’s something comforting about strapping that special watch on your wrist—almost like catching up with an old friend. The decision of which special watch becomes your go-to is an immensely personal one, however we’ve compiled a brief list of options we think are perfectly suited to the task.

1. Tudor Black Bay 41

Offered this year with a semi-gloss royal blue dial, the Black Bay 41 is a sleek no-frills piece from Tudor that can pass equally well casually as it can under a shirt cuff. Unlike its siblings, the brand opted to equip the fixed bezel models with ETA-supplied 2824 self-winding calibers instead of the Tudor MT__ in-house movement. While those still obsessed with the whole “in-house or nothing” school of watchmaking may complain, the fact of the matter is a 2824 is the industry-standard workhorse for a reason, and it allows Tudor to keep the entry point of the Black Bay 41 more approachable. Its smooth polished bezel gives the piece hints of a Rolex Datejust aesthetic, in strong juxtaposition to its more utilitarian dial, indices, and hands.

2. Piaget Polo S Chronograph

Sticking with the theme of versatility, Piaget continues to position the Polo S as its ultimate dress-meets-casual creation. Simple understated design (yes, its design continues to be a point of debate to this day) is just the beginning of the reasons we love the Polo S. In this grey-dialed chronograph guise, is a true “sleeper” of high horology.

One of the few two-register and date chronographs on the market with separate hour and minute subdials, Piaget created the new 1160P caliber for the reboot of the Polo S, and pulled no punches with its finishing even though the target was for the brand to reach a new “entry level” market. Measuring 42mm across and only 11.2mm thick, the Polo S lands in the perfect sweet spot—large without being cumbersome, and compact without being dainty.

3. Panerai Luminor Submersible 1950 3 Days Automatic Acciaio

Depending on what your daily grind looks like, a daily-wear candidate may well take on a slightly more rugged and casual aesthetic—enter the newest Panerai Submersible. We’ve had a soft spot for the PAM Submersible for ages, however its hefty proportions made the piece a bit of a tough sell for many (previously only available in 44mm and 47mm cases). Last year at SIHH, the brand rolled out a steel Submersible in a more compact 42mm case, fitted with a rubber strap and rated to 300m of water resistance.

As with most of Panerai’s collection of late, the new release was fitted with an in-house manufacture caliber, this time the P.9010. The usual Panerai Luminor goodies are all present, including its clever crown lock system and running sub-seconds at 9 o’clock, but most notably the twin-barrel caliber gives the diver a 3-day power reserve. That way if it does come off your wrist from time to time you’re less likely to be stuck winding it back up after a couple of days.

4. Rolex Explorer II

To be fair, there were ample offerings in the Rolex archives that completely fit the bill for this category, but when the idea of throwing a GMT complication into the mix the Explorer II was a no-brainer. Well, technically we could have brought up the new GMT-Master II Pepsi Bezel that’s been the talk of the town since Baselworld this year, but frankly if you haven’t already thrown your name down on a waitlist and made a deposit, that new gem is going to be tricky to come by.

Meanwhile the Explorer II remains as much of an icon as ever—a crisp white dial, brushed steel case, engraved 24h-scale bezel, and oversized bright orange GMT hand give the Explorer II a distinct visual appeal, all while being built to survive the pending apocalypse. If your “everyday” doesn’t involve a suit, but does involve the occasional contact with people outside your timezone, the Explorer II could be just what you need.

5. Patek Philippe Aquanaut ref. 5167A

This may sound surprising to some, but there are countless collectors out there that turn to the mighty Patek Philippe to source their favorite watch for all occasions. While some would pursue the now-impossible to source 5711A Nautilus, the fact that the Aquanaut can be had both on rubber strap and on bracelet give it an additional upper hand for wear in any situation. The simple self-winding Patek first launched in 1997, and to this day its more sporting aesthetic makes it a surprise favorite from the brand—not to mention its beautiful 324 S C self winding caliber visible via its sapphire display caseback.

Author: Justin Mastine-Frost

https://www.thewatchbox.com/blog/sta...mpaign=wb_8_12

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 04:46 AM   #2
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Is the Aquanaut 5167 a beater watch...??

I don’t call ANY watch in my collection a ‘beater’ watch - let alone the 5167 - or even the 114060 for that matter.

The term - to me is RIDICULOUS. I just call it a daily wearer.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 04:59 AM   #3
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Any Nautilus or Aquanaut are delicate watches , either you have the patience to deal with their bezels or you don’t .

So definitely no beater watches, you can scratch them even by going to the office , Lol ....no sir , 5167 is not a beater watch

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 05:00 AM   #4
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I would never call it a "beater". But a GREAT daily? YES!
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 05:01 AM   #5
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Well, to be fair, the article does say "daily wearer" (Call it a “beater watch”, tool watch, or just your daily wearer,).

I don't think the term 'beater watch' means you will literally put your watch at risk. If I'm doing any handy-work, I'm simply not wearing a watch.

I think the author is simply saying that its a great 'daily-wearer'. He never speaks to abusing any of these watches.

I absolutely agree that the 5167 is the perfect daily-wearer. It's light, comfortable and beautiful. Why does my daily-wearer need to be anything less than my loved 5167?

To me, watches are to be used (Not abused), and daily usage certainly falls within this real.

I see no sense in having your 5167 in the safe for fear of daily usage, in favor or wearing any Rolex. The whole purpose of getting the 5167 is to wear it INSTEAD of any Rolex.

Now, if you're gonna go diving or surfing, for all means take your $400 seiko. Financially you won't care if you lose a Seiko diver.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 05:04 AM   #6
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
Well, to be fair, the article does say "daily wearer" (Call it a “beater watch”, tool watch, or just your daily wearer,).

I don't think the term 'beater watch' means you will literally put your watch at risk. If I'm doing any handy-work, I'm simply not wearing a watch.

I think the author is simply saying that its a great 'daily-wearer'. He never speaks to abusing any of these watches.

I absolutely agree that the 5167 is the perfect daily-wearer. It's light, comfortable and beautiful. Why does my daily-wearer need to be anything less than my loved 5167?

To me, watches are to be used (Not abused), and daily usage certainly falls within this real.

I see no sense in having your 5167 in the safe for fear of daily usage, in favor or wearing any Rolex. The whole purpose of getting the 5167 is to wear it INSTEAD of any Rolex.

Now, if you're gonna go diving or surfing, for all means take your $400 seiko. Financially you won't care if you lose a Seiko diver.
Spot on. Daily wearer does not mean it is a beater!

I use my 5712 as a daily wearer and it's been doing very well so far. In contrast, I don't consider any of my pieces to be a "beater".
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 05:21 AM   #7
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Wouldn´t call it a beater but it´s a great daily.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 05:23 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

AFAIK Patek doesn't have the shock resistance that Rolex has. So although Aquanaut and Nautilus are considered "sports" watches, they are certainly not as durable as Rolex.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 06:12 AM   #9
hothothaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Pam 685
I think the reason that Rolex can get called a "beater" sometimes and it makes sense is that they are really designed to take a beating, and some of them, especially the professional models, do get put through the works by people who use them for their intended purpose. I think that's why you find old explorers, subs, and GMT's that have been beat to s#&t, and still work great, and arguably look great, because they were built like tanks. A daily wearer is one thing, but a beater, at least to me, means a cheap watch you don't mind abusing or losing (like an old G shock), or a watch that was built to truly withstand abuse, so you can wear it any any situation (like a rolex, and probably also a G Shock.)
hothothaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 06:35 AM   #10
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post

If I have to pick a beater watch, it would be a Rolex Submariner C......
Have to agree with this, though in my case it's a GMT-II C. That ceramic bezel is simply miraculous when it comes to a daily wear watch that still looks great years later...
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 06:56 AM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Tried it, didn't work out for MY lifestyle. The obvious bezel delicacy, lume fell out of the '1' on the '10'...

On the other hand, went skimboarding while wearing the Hulk last week when we also did Universal Studios, Cocoa beach, etc. Pateks makes a few sporty-looking timepieces. Too bad Patek service times are not conducive to those who heavily use their timepieces. On the other hand, Patek sports include being a rapper, luxury salesperson, or perhaps upper management for a bank in The City. Pateks do have their place, yet daily beater for physical/sports such as European footbal is not one of them. Being within a skybox at the stadium while wearing a Patek is sporty fine.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 07:24 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't think we should refer to any Patek or Rolex as a beater as that is too disrespectful and arrogant, the charges often levelled at us owners anyway, so daily is a better term, and for me my ceramic Rolexes are the ones I wear more devil may care, the PPs I look after a lot more.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 07:35 AM   #13
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't think we should refer to any Patek or Rolex as a beater as that is too disrespectful and arrogant, the charges often levelled at us owners anyway, so daily is a better term, and for me my ceramic Rolexes are the ones I wear more devil may care, the PPs I look after a lot more.
+1. Agree 100%.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 07:49 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I agree it can be a "beater" with no issues for most people. If you do heavy construction with heavy metal tools it probably will not last long. If you play golf all the time with it on the rotor will probably be toast as its unidirectional. Otherwise, no real issues.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 08:14 AM   #15
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Not trying to be a stickler but I don’t believe these terms are interchangeable.

A daily watch is a watch that can be worn under almost any circumstance. Rolex certainly fits this category as do many Omega’s, the Nautilis and the Royal Oak collections.

The tool watch refers to a watch that serves a specific purpose beyond just telling the time. Almost every Sport Rolex fits under this category. GMT Master for pilots, submariner for professional divers, milgauss For working around high magnetic fields and explorer two for caving. The Daytona was built for timing race tracks. There are doctors watches which have a pulse metric scale designed to check a persons pulse.

A beater watch is the watch that you can beat up and not care. I don’t know many people who would consider Rolex nowadays in that category and I certainly know if you were that we consider any Patek in that category.

However is the aquanaut a great day to day watch? Absolutely. That’s exactly what it was designed for taking into account all the delicacy that the brand is known for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:02 AM   #16
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Well-said, agree 100%!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 11:12 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Depends how rich you are. For me? No lol
Old 14 August 2018, 11:42 AM   #18
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Calling the 5167 a “beater” is no more than passive aggressive superiority complex portrayal, or they truly do not care for their material items.

Having to struggle and work hard my whole life to have a few nice items, my appreciation may be different than others.

Old 14 August 2018, 11:44 AM   #19
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
I don't think we should refer to any Patek or Rolex as a beater as that is too disrespectful and arrogant, the charges often levelled at us owners anyway, so daily is a better term
Well said.
Old 14 August 2018, 11:31 PM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed, 'beater' does have a connotation to the general population of a lower-end item. This may lead to a perceived diminished product quality. We longtime mechanical watch enthusiasts know that brands such as Patek Philippe and Rolex are of high quality. Great point guys!

Perhaps a better term would be 'sports inspired'? What term do you feel would better represent sporty looking timepieces from Patek Philippe?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 11:36 PM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

a 5167 would not look good all beat up but i think an explorer II would. So it depends on if it would add to the look or at a minimum not detract from it. No Patek falls into that category IMO.

A beater watch needs to be like Rimowa luggage, scratches and dents makes it cool.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:14 AM   #22
joshua182
"TRF" Member

I wear my 5711 and 5167 very carefully.

even for my APs, only one of my 15400 gets regular wear because i've already dinged it on a night out..

for regular wear, to the office, to the malls, it's all rolex subs for me, a sub date and a bluesy.. sometimes a iwc... something i wouldnt care to be scratched..
joshua182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:16 AM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I don’t call ANY watch in my collection a ‘beater’ watch - let alone the 5167 - or even the 114060 for that matter.

The term - to me is RIDICULOUS. I just call it a daily wearer.

Just my .02

I agree, I hate that term, I do not "beat" any watch I own.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:22 AM   #24
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I don't have an everyday watch, I just choose something from the watchbox the night before and wind it/adjust for the next day.

If I'm doing something sporty or going into an activity that may potentially hurt the watch, I will just leave it at home or in the car.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:34 AM   #25
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Hiking or camping if I wanted to bring a watch it would also be the ExpII or Seiko007
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:48 AM   #26
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
With the finishing on the bezel and case, I don't think you can call the Aquanaut a beater imho. The bezel is too easy to scratch and when scratched it looks ugly.

I would say the Aquanaut is a versatile every day wearer but don't be dumb about it and make sure to exercise wrist awareness. Even so, hope for less dings! Definitely take off if at gym or environments where easy to get dings (metal objects).
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:55 AM   #27
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Semantics aside, neither the Nautilus nor the Aquanaut are particularly great daily watches because of the delicate bezel. Best looking watches in the world when mint, not so great looking when scraped up. All the usual disclaimers: imho, YMMV, etc.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:32 AM   #28
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
Semantics aside, neither the Nautilus nor the Aquanaut are particularly great daily watches because of the delicate bezel. Best looking watches in the world when mint, not so great looking when scraped up. All the usual disclaimers: imho, YMMV, etc.
Why does a daily need to get beat up? Unless your daily includes home renovations, or anything of the sort...

Both my Aquanaut and Nautilus are very safe on my wrist. I wear them every day in rotation.

If not, then why even own it?

These things are meant to be worn folks, and no offense, but if it costs you your peace of mind, then maybe it's too expensive for you and you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Better stick to a ceramic Sub.

Old 15 August 2018, 01:47 AM   #29
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
Why does a daily need to get beat up? Unless your daily includes home renovations, or anything of the sort...

Both my Aquanaut and Nautilus are very safe on my wrist. I wear them every day in rotation.

If not, then why even own it?

These things are meant to be worn folks, and no offense, but if it costs you your peace of mind, then maybe it's too expensive for you and you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Better stick to a ceramic Sub.
Where did I say a daily needed to get beat up? I do believe that in daily use your Aquanaut and Nautilus bezels are going to be very easily scraped up and not look so hot -- you can fix it in service if you want. By all means wear them all the time, that's a personal choice.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:49 AM   #30
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
Where did I say a daily needed to get beat up? I do believe that in daily use your Aquanaut and Nautilus bezels are going to be very easily scraped up and not look so hot -- you can fix it in service if you want. By all means wear them all the time, that's a personal choice.
"neither the Nautilus nor the Aquanaut are particularly great daily watches because of the delicate bezel. Best looking watches in the world when mint, not so great looking when scraped up".

That's where I disagree. These are amazing daily watches. Weight-wise, size wise. Nothing beats them, in my opinion.