The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 27 January 2017, 05:04 PM   #31
jamesmayfield
"TRF" Member

Thank you all so much for the great comments and suggestions.

But in the end i really want to buy from a well known established and trusted company that offers a warranty and a lifetime authenticity guarantee, like bob's watches. if i were buying new i would go to joma shop since they have great rolex prices. But Bob's also offers a 3rd party certified pre-owned warranty that is kind of nice. There are so many watches out there with shady parts on them from shady dealers/collectors. I have read about some pretty bad private transactions out there. Plus i found a nice 16610 on their site that is very reasonably priced.

thanks again!
jamesmayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 06:52 PM   #32
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmayfield View Post

But in the end i really want to buy from a well known established and trusted company that offers a warranty and a lifetime authenticity guarantee, like bob's watches. if i were buying new i would go to joma shop since they have great rolex prices.
I recommend you spend more time researching and learning about dealers and less time pontificating about what you "really want" in a thread you started by asking for advice that you have only ignored. Throughout this thread you've expressed a great concern over the possibility of obtaining a fake or a frankenwatch, but have conspicuously resisted every suggestion for taking the one avenue that would absolutely guarantee authenticity: purchasing through an AD. ADs and Rolex boutiques are the gold standard. (Don't even get me started on how ridiculous you sound saying you want to buy from a trusted company that "stands behind the deal," and then saying you'd buy new from Jomashop.)

The fact that you want an out-of-production model doesn't mean ADs are out of the question. A lot of ADs have good pre-owned selections. For instance, I see 16610s come up on the Govberg Jewelers website all the time. Govberg is an authorized Rolex dealer with an extensive pre-owned collection. Many of their pre-owned watches still have remaining time on the factory warranties. Those that don't (which would include virtually any 16610) are backed with Govberg's own 15-month warranty. They even do online sales of their pre-owned inventory, and overnight shipping is included in the sale price.

I don't have any affiliation with Govberg. I've just purchased from them many times, and know they're a good outfit. But any well-known, reputable AD with a good pre-owned collection, especially one that is authorized to carry the pre-owned brands they sell, would likely be a good fit for you, given your stated concerns.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 08:53 PM   #33
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:

But in the end i really want to buy from a well known established and trusted company that offers a warranty and a lifetime authenticity guarantee, like bob's watches. if i were buying new i would go to joma shop since they have great rolex prices. But Bob's also offers a 3rd party certified pre-owned warranty that is kind of nice. There are so many watches out there with shady parts on them from shady dealers/collectors. I have read about some pretty bad private transactions out there. Plus i found a nice 16610 on their site that is very reasonably priced.

thanks again!
The warranty you get will not be from Rolex. And what is lifetime authenticity? Its either real or its not.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 12:59 AM   #34
jamesmayfield
"TRF" Member

Buying a prowned 16610

Thank you. no, i am learning, not pontificating. Most local AD's do not sell pre-owned Rolex, from what i have been told. I checked on Tourneau ( local AD ) but they only have 1 model 16610 to choose from on their site but its almost $1000 more than Bob's. And its much older - 1990 i think. Goveberger has some but they are all at least $500 more in price.

Thank you again. I'm good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I recommend you spend more time researching and learning about dealers and less time pontificating about what you "really want" in a thread you started by asking for advice that you have only ignored. Throughout this thread you've expressed a great concern over the possibility of obtaining a fake or a frankenwatch, but have conspicuously resisted every suggestion for taking the one avenue that would absolutely guarantee authenticity: purchasing through an AD. ADs and Rolex boutiques are the gold standard. (Don't even get me started on how ridiculous you sound saying you want to buy from a trusted company that "stands behind the deal," and then saying you'd buy new from Jomashop.)

The fact that you want an out-of-production model doesn't mean ADs are out of the question. A lot of ADs have good pre-owned selections. For instance, I see 16610s come up on the Govberg Jewelers website all the time. Govberg is an authorized Rolex dealer with an extensive pre-owned collection. Many of their pre-owned watches still have remaining time on the factory warranties. Those that don't (which would include virtually any 16610) are backed with Govberg's own 15-month warranty. They even do online sales of their pre-owned inventory, and overnight shipping is included in the sale price.

I don't have any affiliation with Govberg. I've just purchased from them many times, and know they're a good outfit. But any well-known, reputable AD with a good pre-owned collection, especially one that is authorized to carry the pre-owned brands they sell, would likely be a good fit for you, given your stated concerns.
Old 28 January 2017, 01:10 AM   #35
Corsair66
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Tourneau? Keep learning... LOL

Suffice it to say that the so-called "trusted sellers" on this site offer exceptional service and absolutely legit watches (the brand-new ones with your name on the warranty card); you can buy with confidence.

Given that level of service and legitimacy, to say nothing of the available discounts from retail, it makes no sense whatsoever to buy from an AD. Why haggle for a 5-10% discount from retail when it's easy to find 25-30% off (on PM watches) from a TRF trusted seller? For the "free" soda or glass of champagne? For the ridiculous ego-stroking of being treated like a big-shot when you walk into the AD? Please...

Read the reviews, contact a few trusted sellers, make your selection, order your watch, and enjoy. Easy!
Corsair66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 01:20 AM   #36
desidd
"TRF" Member

I have purchased many watches from Govberg Watches and Watchuwant.com (now owned by Govberg). No issues buying and selling.
desidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 01:48 AM   #37
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
I'm not even sure what "lifetime authenticity guarantee" actually means.

If it's born a Rolex it will always be a Rolex, unless maybe it "identifies" as an Invicta one day. Keep an open mind JamesMayfield if it's born a Rolex it will always be a Rolex no matter how it "identifies" itself later in life.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 01:53 AM   #38
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
For a first Rolex, I'd strongly recommend buying from an AD. No doubts, full warranty, and full service.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 02:21 AM   #39
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
For a first Rolex, I'd strongly recommend buying from an AD. No doubts, full warranty, and full service.
The OP wants a 16610 if you read his initial post. This is a discontinued reference and thus cannot be purchased new at an AD.
Cerachrom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 02:36 AM   #40
Nick14874
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Quote:
thanks. but i prefer to buy from a company that stands behind the deal. no disrespect.
any referrals?
Heres two examples from trusted sellers here:

Bought a Rose Gold Yachtmaster from DavidSW for my Fiancee and she is very small and needed a smaller rubber strap, I took it to my AD and they wanted to charge me $350 for the resized strap (the AD keeps the old one) and DavidSW said he would cover the cost of the strap (despite me not making him do so, he offered, which was not necessary for him to do).

Bought a Yachtmaster II from ponycar350 (Jared), I had it for a week and realized the watch wasnt working poperly. I let him know of this and he asked me to send it back so he could get it fixed. His guy couldn't do it, he sent it off to Rolex and they fixed it and I now have a perfect watch, newly serviced and Jared took care of all the costs and I have a warranty now.

These guys are legit and stand by what they are selling. Don't be discouraged because they are online dealers. If you really want to pay a premium on any of these other sites or going through an AD, then by all means... But we're all giving you a clear way to save some money, so not sure why you wouldn't.
Nick14874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 02:37 AM   #41
Nick14874
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerachrom12 View Post
The OP wants a 16610 if you read his initial post. This is a discontinued reference and thus cannot be purchased new at an AD.
My AD sells used Rolexes, not sure if this is of the norm, but its not impossible.
Nick14874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 04:50 AM   #42
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Thank you again. I'm good.
Let's hope so. Enjoy your 16610.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 05:16 AM   #43
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
My AD sells used Rolex watches. The last time I looked, they had a newish Milgause and an oldish Submariner (with lug holes).
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2017, 07:14 AM   #44
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giskard View Post
Comes for advice. Ignores the advice. You can lead a horse to water...
Exactly. I don't know why so many people are trying to convince this guy after he made up his mind . To each their own, he wants to buy from Bob's with their "warranty" so be it. Goveberg is a great suggestion that fits his requirements (AD that carries preowned discontinued models)....but he should now know through his research none of these warranties are through Rolex....I have no experience with Govberg or Bob's but I know a lot of independent "warranties" dun specify top watchmakers that are well trained on Rolex or use original factory OEM parts (Jomashop for sure doesn't).

I like many others would agree for a 16610 I'd look @ a top trusted seller here and buy it used at a saving and service it @ RSC for your warranty that IS through Rolex if you really care about it that much. Good luck with your purchase.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 03:42 PM   #45
jamesmayfield
"TRF" Member

Hey Guys, just circling back to report that after too much doodling around ( and research ) i ended up buying a used Rolex watch - Submariner - from www.bobswatches.com. I am very happy! I love it. They seemed to be the most trustworthy by far and had the best selection and prices. I spoke to Larry there who had an expert level of knowledge on all the submariner models.

Bob's Watches also had all of their watches in stock and were happy to send me additional photos of the watch i wanted ( so i could be sure they really had the Rolex in stock )

I wasn't aware the Submariner had such a long history -

"Produced in 1953, the Rolex Submariner was first introduced in 1954 at Basel Watch Fair. The model comes in Oystersteel, white & yellow gold, and two-tone metals with date and no date variants. Made famous by James Bond films, this iconic sports watch has a 40mm case size and functions as a dive watch. Suggested retail price starts at $7,500 as of 2018."