The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2018, 11:35 AM   #1
grymg
"TRF" Member

GMT cerachrom vs. alum bezel layouts

As someone who has owned a 16710 Coke for 15 years before selling it recently to obtain a 116710BLNR, I have some thoughts on the old vs. new bezel layout I wanted to get off my chest now that i have it in hand.

Quick background on my buying choice: yes I did read up on all the Pros/Cons for old vs. new to the point where I was obsessive about it. Even more so as my name was placed on the waiting list. But at the end of the day I had no regret selling my 16710 to fund my BLNR. I may lose sleep on it here and there but overall I'm happy with my choice.

But the new bezel font takes some getting used to. Sure, it's been a while since it has come out, but it's so different to the point where it looks like a completely different watch.

My questions/thoughts/ramblings:
1) Does anyone actually prefer the new font and layout vs. the old one? For one, the hour numbers are disproportionately wide compare to the maxi dial indicies. Distinct, separated numbers make it easier to find where exactly the GMT hand is positioned. Imitation is a form of flattery which Rolex knows well but haven't seen many any other companies try to copy the new layout. (On the other hand, we get more platinum - yay)
2) It seems to me like Rolex could have easily went the subC route and just preserved the old layout onto the new cerachrom material and call it a day (my attached pic). So why didn't they? Theory #1: In my view, at first glance of sub and GMT LN alum. bezel watches, a layman could confuse them as the same watch. So maybe Rolex wanted further differentiation between the sub and GMT especially since their dials look very similar to one another. And there was no way in hell they would touch their iconic sub line, so the GMT had to change.
3) Theory #2: The subs and SD's porting over from alum. to cerachrom were fine since they are single colored bezels. For the GMT however, they didn't perfect the two tone process yet (at least that what we are made to believe - maybe they did perfect it but were wanting to bring it out at a later date) and only had LN's to sell. For some, solid colors don't have the same appeal as the two tone in terms of look and GMT usefulness, so Rolex changed up the bezel layout to intice collectors to buy something "new and exciting".
4) Theory #3: To safeguard themselves from another downturn. Basically if their GMT sales take a dip, Rolex goes back to the original 2006 bezel layout on cerachrom bezel and this would create a firestorm of demand for the "GMTc v2.0". So they are just shelving the design to return at the right time. Unfortunately for me this would create a severe drop in price for the current line of ceramic bezel GMT's as people ditch it in favor of the timeless, more iconic GMT bezel layout (imagine the waiting lists!). This is hardly the correct analogy but I remember the Air Jordan Black Cement 3 - back in 2001 they had "NIKE AIR" logo on the heels, and then for subsequent retros they changed the heels to have Jumpman logos. Consequently the 2001 BC3 shot up in value (much like how the 16710 is now), to 2x the retail of the retro MSRP (and up). Then 10 years later Nike releases a BC3 with "NIKE AIR" heels in limited quantities and it's in huge demand. This has also happened with the 4's, then probably 5's and 6's are around the corner. The jumpman heeled shoes price fell accordingly, just like the GMTc's will.

More along the same lines, I could also ask why the new BLRO red and blue colors don't match the originals, and my theories would still apply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.JPG (182.5 KB, 592 views)
grymg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:27 PM   #2
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Interesting thoughts to ponder.....

Having both 16710 and 116710s (yeah I like GMTs), I actually like the bezel font and layout of the 6 digits better than the good old 16710. Personally, the font looks dated to me on the 5 digit compared to the 6s. Maybe I’m crazy I know. Funny enough I don’t find the font on my sub or dssd dated, those just look classic. When I have the LN bezel on the 16710, the font doesn’t bother me, only on Pepsi and coke. If I ever sell my 16710, it’s becaus of the bezel font. The reason i’ll never sell it, the bezel colors, coke and Pepsi, and the ability to change them at will.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:38 PM   #3
nbsheeran
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I’m in complete agreement with the the OP. I have had my 16710 Coke for almost 19 years, but only recently got back into watches. Initially I really liked the look of the new GMTs. But after looking at so many pictures now, the large, wide typeface used on the ceramic bezels is starting to bother me. I now much prefer the understated 5-digit bezels. I’m glad to know I may not be the only one.
nbsheeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 01:22 PM   #4
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
What I found I didn't like was the color of the GMT hand. Blue on the BLNR and Green on the LN. I loved the red hand on my 16710. It was easy to find in a nano-second and I'm glad to see Rolex went back to it with the new Pepsi.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 01:48 PM   #5
grymg
"TRF" Member

The more I think about it, I'm not so sure Rolex will go back to the old small typeface anytime soon.

1) Longines, IWC, etc. have done a lot of tribute watches which re-release a vintage model from their archives. Rolex could do this by releasing a "1955 Tribute" GMTc but we all know they wouldn't as they are more a slow evolution company and this would cause quite a shakeup in their line. (Then again they did bring back the Air King from the dead at some point and they did bring back the lightning seconds hand on the Milgauss! But they don't have as massive a following as GMT's.)

2) I see other models using the same (or similar typeface) like the Air King, YM1/2, and Explorer I. What to become of them then? It's just too much of a risk to go away from a now identifiable Rolex typeface.
*edit* also the date windows (which means pretty much all models) have a very similar wide typeface, so there is quite a bit of history with it.

3) Unless they do a clean break to a new design like in 2007, then they would be selling both bezel typefaces simultaneously which wouldn't be good for establishing continuity in the line.
Old 14 August 2018, 01:54 PM   #6
rolexBuddy
"TRF" Member

I like the original aluminum typeface on GMT. Hours were easy to tell apart. On ceramic bezel numbers are so large, they are running together. When I see 20 and 22 markers on new one, my brain reads 2022 :) New GMT, both BRLN and BRLO are great looking watches, but I like regular dial over Maxidial and I guess same goes for bezel.
As far as GMT hand my most favorite is actually green (Rolex color), followed by blue, and then red. But all black GMT master is too plain for me, so I'll never own a green hand :)
rolexBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 02:41 PM   #7
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely the older inserts look better and feel more natural IMO per layout.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 03:10 PM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I agree!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Definitely the newer ceramic inserts look better and feel more natural IMO per layout. The maxi case/dial would look silly with the older mini numbers bezel design. You'll get used to it op. You've been staring at the same watch for 15 years and now you made a switch, that takes time.
Personally I don't understand why you went for the new one if you had all these complaints and reservations. You should have just bought a late model 5 series and continued your happiness.

I'm always perplexed at these threads, I went and bought this and here's why I hate it. I mean if you sold the watch you like better(supposedly) and you spent what I assume to be hard earned money because you even had to sell the old one to buy the new one...why not explain what you actually like. No way in hell I'd buy this watch with all these complaints and reservations. You should sell the BLNR and go back to the five digit models and then start a thread on how much you like it and why you went back and are finally so happy.

I for one love the new bezels, cases, bracelets, maxi dials, pcls, movement, and all the shininess. It is subjectively and objectively just a better watch.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 09:04 PM   #10
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
For me it's relevant to the case size. I like the numerals on the 16610 better on the Submariner but on the GMT I like the bigger numbers. Weird.
Old 14 August 2018, 09:12 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I much prefer the fonts of the older bezel to the newer. The larger fonts are borderline almost overpowering IMO.

I do prefer the maxi dial of the 6 digit though.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 09:17 PM   #12
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
Sometimes it takes wearing a new watch awhile to form opions on it, so i understand your post. Me I like the 5 digit bezel a lot better, it just wreaks function over fashion.
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 09:26 PM   #13
scarab1st
"TRF" Member

I love my blnr but I'd much prefer it with the old bezel font.
scarab1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 09:29 PM   #14
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I like the new bezels and fonts, but more-so on the Subs and Sea Dwellers than the GMT's. I love the ceramic bezels and I like the font on the new GMT's, it's just a touch too big. But it does give it a fresh modern look.

Look at it this way, best of both worlds - get a Rolex AND Tudor GMT
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 11:46 PM   #15
grymg
"TRF" Member

Ah sorry, didn't mean to confuse. I love my BLNR and am NOT going back to the older model. I had it, enjoyed it, thought hard, sold it, and that's it. My Coke's engine needed a major overhaul to get running again, and I was just too tired of it to spend the money to fix so I finally pulled the trigger on the newest, latest and greatest, etc. however you want to describe it.

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were why Rolex have largely kept the Sub, Daytona, DJ, DD, Explorer, etc. layouts the same at first glance, but yet the GMT gets the facelift. Really reminds me of the YM's bezels.
Old 15 August 2018, 12:15 AM   #16
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

New font for me.

Easier to read at a glance.

Simply perfect.
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:31 AM   #17
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
The fonts are larger likely to match the maxi dials and stay in proportion. While I do believe they did this to make the appearance of the watch larger without actually making the move, it does improve legibility from a functional perspective. However I would also argue that add bling to the watch by increasing its wrist presence. Given that watches are less likely to be used for time and more likely worn for fashion reasons, Rolex likely designed the 6 digits with that in mind.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:57 AM   #18
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
OP, I agree that the new bezel is a bit too busy and crowded compared to the old bezel. I agree with the previous post that this is more for fashion than anything. You have a very valid point in observing this and starting a thread to discuss it with other Rolex enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I'm always perplexed at these threads, I went and bought this and here's why I hate it. I mean if you sold the watch you like better(supposedly) and you spent what I assume to be hard earned money because you even had to sell the old one to buy the new one...why not explain what you actually like. No way in hell I'd buy this watch with all these complaints and reservations. You should sell the BLNR and go back to the five digit models and then start a thread on how much you like it and why you went back and are finally so happy.

Rashid, your reply seems ‘irritated’. You should take a break from the forum and go find your peace, then come back and start a thread on how your time away from the forum made you more understanding of how forums work and that you are finally so happy to be back.

[/sarcasm]

See, not nice to tell someone how they should feel or what they should or shouldn’t do on a forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 01:02 AM   #19
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I am in the pro 16710 bezel lay out for all the above mentioned reasons and it has the 120 click bezel so you can use it to time stuff cooking and for daily activities on top of the additional time zone. The 16710 actually has cured me, at least for the time being, from flirting with more watches; it does it all for me and the red hand I think is so much cooler than the green and blue.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 02:47 AM   #20
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
OP, I agree that the new bezel is a bit too busy and crowded compared to the old bezel. I agree with the previous post that this is more for fashion than anything. You have a very valid point in observing this and starting a thread to discuss it with other Rolex enthusiasts.

Rashid, your reply seems ‘irritated’. You should take a break from the forum and go find your peace, then come back and start a thread on how your time away from the forum made you more understanding of how forums work and that you are finally so happy to be back.

[/sarcasm]

See, not nice to tell someone how they should feel or what they should or shouldn’t do on a forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In no way, shape or form am I irritated, I mean if you actually read my post I specifically said what I was...it was "perplexed". As for you, I can only assume you are offended and feelings hurt by just another opinion that isn't yours. Can't really control how people interpret things.
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, since you continued after the supposed sarcasm statement. In any case, I am not telling him how he should feel, it was my point of view, my opinion, and my advice.
He stated his opinion and I stated a counter point and a suggestion because after all it seems he spent money on something he doesn't like, based on his long post where the whole thing was negative about his new watch except one sentence.

This is an open forum, if you want every poster to only agree and be happy with your thread then preface that in the beginning.
**Hello, this thread only requires you to comment if you agree, otherwise please go somewhere else as I only seek comments from those that only share my opinion...**
Old 15 August 2018, 05:29 AM   #21
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Personally I don't understand why you went for the new one if you had all these complaints and reservations. You should have just bought a late model 5 series and continued your happiness.

For me that is not very constructive. Would you for example say something like that to a friend during dinner? It might be my Swedish background, but I would rather not say anything at all than something like that.

Now back to normal programming.

@grymg, I also have tried to understand the reasoning for the latest GMT design. Rolex got it so right with the 6542... Only reason I can think of is to make it appear as sporty/utilitarian as possible when the GMT is more luxury commodity than every.
Old 15 August 2018, 06:43 AM   #22
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
For me that is not very constructive. Would you for example say something like that to a friend during dinner? It might be my Swedish background, but I would rather not say anything at all than something like that.

Now back to normal programming.

@grymg, I also have tried to understand the reasoning for the latest GMT design. Rolex got it so right with the 6542... Only reason I can think of is to make it appear as sporty/utilitarian as possible when the GMT is more luxury commodity than every.
We're beating a dead horse but the honest answer is yes I probably would to a friend. I would assume he wants my honest opinion and I would want my friend to be happy with his choice. If a friend bought a watch and said I'm pretty happy but here's all these things I don't like that I prefer it had...then maybe what he had would be better. The grass isn't always greener kind of thing.

Usually when someone buys a watch on TRF they share with us there purchase and rave about their happiness, and how they can't take the watch off. This was a post stating a new purchase and all the negatives about the characteristics of your new watch without anything positive to say except for that he "may" not lose sleep over it. So my suggestion is, yes, perhaps he would be better with the older version.
I wasn't rude or insulting, but normal conversation with body language and tone doesn't transfer well in print.
Old 15 August 2018, 09:08 AM   #23
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Far prefer the larger newer font and its more modern look. Also a year and half down the line my BLNR bezel is unblemished and is perfect, with the day to day knocks I doubt an aluminium one would be the same.

I started with a 1999 GMT so have had both btw