The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 20 November 2016, 02:56 AM   #31
malnik
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-Date-C
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
There have been many long-time collectors moving away from Panerai in the past year. Why? Because they keep coming out with new versions of what were supposed to be LE/SE models. They killed their own secondary market values. Personally, I still like Panerai and I think there will always be a place for one in my collection.
I'm digging up an old thread. It's the Q4 of 2016 now and Panerai is definitely in the decline. The secondary market value is dropping and I'm loving it! I've been eyeing on a particular "LE" modeling. One online reseller has it and has been on his listings for years. Today I checked and the new listing price is 20% drop from last year! Maybe it's time for me to finally pick it up.
malnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 08:14 AM   #32
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnik View Post
I'm digging up an old thread. It's the Q4 of 2016 now and Panerai is definitely in the decline. The secondary market value is dropping and I'm loving it! I've been eyeing on a particular "LE" modeling. One online reseller has it and has been on his listings for years. Today I checked and the new listing price is 20% drop from last year! Maybe it's time for me to finally pick it up.

Now it's the time just before Christmas go for it
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 01:04 PM   #33
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Yep I can confirm that I took quite a beating selling my 233 in the secondary market. Even though its a popular reference, there are hundreds of Panerai out there for sale & hate to say it but they all look damn near the same. And this is from a Panerai fan.

Good news is that the VC I just picked up had the same problem so the flip turned out to be a wash.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 04:02 PM   #34
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Richemont keeps churning out the same old crap year after year....

Their sales are also less than impressive. maybe Panerai has become a dog...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
This man is looking like Nostradamus at this point.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2016, 06:43 PM   #35
chemistman
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, Exp II, SubC
Seems like you can get the base models so much cheaper than before, stock is everywhere. Looking at the sales forum elsewhere and you see lots of limited editions around. I think panerai has gone to the point where they've made too many variances and the exclusivity is gone. Still beautiful watches though and still have one myself.
chemistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2016, 12:43 AM   #36
Speed
"TRF" Member

Well, I'm still loving my 312 and the variety of straps I have. That's not considered "base" is it?

Would love a titanium version of the 111 - mode escapes me now... but I'm pretty set. If I ever got another it would *have* to be have 24mm lugs so I could leverage my straps.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 04:58 AM   #37
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
nope, loving all of mine and looking forward to many more in the future.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 01:14 PM   #38
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
Panerai market has been in nosedive for good 2-3 years, but in the last 10 months it has intensified. I offloaded all of my PAMs bar 127, and took a good 30-50% hit even on the prices I paid for used stock, which I considered quite acceptable a few years back. Also took months and months of finding a buyer, as I live given up trying to sell or trade them to dealers in Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo (you see, I've tried that hard to get rid of these things, haha). Not sure if the market bottomed though - the demand is very sluggish still but deals are to be had if you still into Panerai styling. HK seems to be a particularly good spot for bargain hunting, there are literally stores filled with panerai who are keen to move them.
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2016, 06:52 PM   #39
chemistman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korneevy View Post
Panerai market has been in nosedive for good 2-3 years, but in the last 10 months it has intensified. I offloaded all of my PAMs bar 127, and took a good 30-50% hit even on the prices I paid for used stock, which I considered quite acceptable a few years back. Also took months and months of finding a buyer, as I live given up trying to sell or trade them to dealers in Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo (you see, I've tried that hard to get rid of these things, haha). Not sure if the market bottomed though - the demand is very sluggish still but deals are to be had if you still into Panerai styling. HK seems to be a particularly good spot for bargain hunting, there are literally stores filled with panerai who are keen to move them.
Hope this didn't hit you too hard. I would never want to be in that situation, but who knows, it could happen to any of the brand.

Really loved panerai but with the direction they are going these days I'll be buying up some old models soon, especially the ETA ones.
Old 24 November 2016, 10:16 PM   #40
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Is it just me or has there been a general decline in Panerai luster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemistman View Post
Hope this didn't hit you too hard. I would never want to be in that situation, but who knows, it could happen to any of the brand.

Really loved panerai but with the direction they are going these days I'll be buying up some old models soon, especially the ETA ones.

Mate I did cried a little, yeah I did.

On 4 mid-tier pieces I've lost close to $10K as compared to what I would have got a few years back, which means a lot for me - could have been a nice deposit on a VC Oversea chrono I'd love to get, or PP Nautilus. Well, live and learn - I lost faith when they stated to release annually 399 variations of every previous model ever made, and flooded market with over-production capacity that in turn, flew though the back doors of AD and killed the resale value of most of their "modern" collection book. Hell, I would have sold the 127 too, but I was getting half-serious offers in $10-12K area, and that's $6K less than what I paid for it 8 years ago, I've worn the damn thing about a dozen of times... anyhow, I've decided to keep it forever now, but shows how much value drop one should accept with the brand, even on more collectable pieces.

I don't see this changing until the sack the CEO a have a major come to Jesus moment, rethinking their positioning, pricing and distribution channels strategy. Let's hope they figure that one out before driving the brand value into the wall. Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 November 2016, 12:31 AM   #41
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mate I did cried a little, yeah I did.

Hell, I would have sold the 127 too, but I was getting half-serious offers in $10-12K area, and that's $6K less than what I paid for it 8 years ago, I've worn the damn thing about a dozen of times... anyhow, I've decided to keep it forever now, but shows how much value drop one should accept with the brand, even on more collectable pieces.

I don't see this changing until the sack the CEO a have a major come to Jesus moment, rethinking their positioning, pricing and distribution channels strategy. Let's hope they figure that one out before driving the brand value into the wall. Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you bought the 127 at the 'peak' 16-18k and now are complaining about the price drop, lol. the 127 sold new for ~$6k

sorry, buying watches as an 'investment' is not prudent, and although the secondary market right now is a bit soft the bargains are amazing. i've made a few purchases and am happy i have.

the distribution channels have been an issue and to be honest i'd rather have everything go through their boutiques and minimize the amount of pieces available on the secondary market, but don't think that's realistic. an ad can provide a discount the boutique can't and that does cause issues regarding pricing models etc...

love the 5 i own and hoping to buy a few more next year.

enjoy your 127, it's an iconic piece and the price may even go back up again....

chgo_risti on IG
Old 25 November 2016, 12:43 AM   #42
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
you bought the 127 at the 'peak' 16-18k and now are complaining about the price drop, lol. the 127 sold new for ~$6k

sorry, buying watches as an 'investment' is not prudent, and although the secondary market right now is a bit soft the bargains are amazing. i've made a few purchases and am happy i have.

the distribution channels have been an issue and to be honest i'd rather have everything go through their boutiques and minimize the amount of pieces available on the secondary market, but don't think that's realistic. an ad can provide a discount the boutique can't and that does cause issues regarding pricing models etc...

love the 5 i own and hoping to buy a few more next year.

enjoy your 127, it's an iconic piece and the price may even go back up again....
I dont think I am complaining about my loss, mate..it's just fact of life but I tend to take these things in stride. You only lose if/when you sell so unless I am filing for bankruptcy, I am holding the assets. And trust me, when I buy a watch, I consider it as money down the drain, spent on a hobby, there is no practical reason for buying these things, let alone hoping you'll make some sort of a return. I am a banker, so cynical enough to know better, haha. What I am complaining...even if you can stretch what i wrote to that...its more like an observation - that the current misguided management was so out of touch with reality that they have managed to put a massive dent in credibility and brand value of their marque. Takes years to build that sort of cult following they had enjoyed for over a decade (and I am guilty as charged, haha!) and a few stupid greedy moves (remember that Brooklyn bridge debacle, right?) to cool it. It is a freezing point if you ask me - next couple of years will be the ones that either make it as a proper watch brand or put it out of existence in a long run. And this is, by the way, does not apply to Panerai exclusively - there are a lot of bad actors out there that will have to fight to survive after a decade and a half of silly profits driven by our Asian friends with newly acquired middle class wants. I still like Panerai as a watch with a unique look and interesting history, so wishing them well.
Old 25 November 2016, 12:52 AM   #43
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I dont think I am complaining about my loss, mate..it's just fact of life but I tend to take these things in stride. You only lose if/when you sell so unless I am filing for bankruptcy, I am holding the assets. And trust me, when I buy a watch, I consider it as money down the drain, spent on a hobby, there is no practical reason for buying these things, let alone hoping you'll make some sort of a return. I am a banker, so cynical enough to know better, haha. What I am complaining...even if you can stretch what i wrote to that...its more like an observation - that the current misguided management was so out of touch with reality that they have managed to put a massive dent in credibility and brand value of their marque. Takes years to build that sort of cult following they had enjoyed for over a decade (and I am guilty as charged, haha!) and a few stupid greedy moves (remember that Brooklyn bridge debacle, right?) to cool it. It is a freezing point if you ask me - next couple of years will be the ones that either make it as a proper watch brand or put it out of existence in a long run. And this is, by the way, does not apply to Panerai exclusively - there are a lot of bad actors out there that will have to fight to survive after a decade and a half of silly profits driven by our Asian friends with newly acquired middle class wants. I still like Panerai as a watch with a unique look and interesting history, so wishing them well.
we're in the same boat mate....love the 'hobby' and agree that the $$ i spend on watches is just that, a hobby.

hope i didn't offend you that was not my intention. we'll see what direction the brand takes and i agree that others are in the same boat.

enjoy the day

chgo_risti on IG
Old 25 November 2016, 01:08 AM   #44
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
we're in the same boat mate....love the 'hobby' and agree that the $$ i spend on watches is just that, a hobby.

hope i didn't offend you that was not my intention. we'll see what direction the brand takes and i agree that others are in the same boat.

enjoy the day
No offence taken, buddy, its all good. Just wanted to clarify that I am not new to this and wasn't just complaining over a loss of a few grand on something as silly as modern watches;) you have a great day too, its always nice to exchange opinions and views in civilized company. All the best!
Old 25 November 2016, 04:26 PM   #45
chemistman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very well said. A lot of my sentiment / disappointment on Panerai isn't about loss in the second hand value, but rather the loss of an unique opportunity for the brand to grow even bigger. They had a chance to make some models as iconic as a Sub- but instead they went for the quick money to pump and dump.

Another thing which I do not understand is that Panerai does not provide authentication for their used watches- which seems strange for a brand that commands such high price. This indicates either:
(1) Panerai doesn't stand behind their product - they just want you to buy a new one for more profit, or
(2) Whatever they are making are being copied so well that they cannot tell apart. (perhaps more applicable to the older ETA models).
Old 25 November 2016, 04:42 PM   #46
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Very well said. A lot of my sentiment / disappointment on Panerai isn't about loss in the second hand value, but rather the loss of an unique opportunity for the brand to grow even bigger. They had a chance to make some models as iconic as a Sub- but instead they went for the quick money to pump and dump.
Last time I checked, there were several versions of the Submariner (which kind of looks like a GMT which kind of looks like an Explorer II) and hundreds of combinations for the DateJust (which kind of looks like a DayDate which is related to an OP).... all being pumped out in the hundreds of thousands a year.

Quote:
Another thing which I do not understand is that Panerai does not provide authentication for their used watches- which seems strange for a brand that commands such high price. This indicates either:
(1) Panerai doesn't stand behind their product - they just want you to buy a new one for more profit, or
(2) Whatever they are making are being copied so well that they cannot tell apart. (perhaps more applicable to the older ETA models).

How is this different than Rolex? Unless you're saying that PSC will service fake Panerais?
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2016, 09:58 PM   #47
belligero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
There have been many long-time collectors moving away from Panerai in the past year. Why? Because they keep coming out with new versions of what were supposed to be LE/SE models. They killed their own secondary market values.[...]
This 2013 post was a very prescient one.

Add in their continual reliability and service problems, and there's no wonder that they're getting hammered.
belligero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2016, 04:53 AM   #48
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligero View Post
Add in their continual reliability and service problems, and there's no wonder that they're getting hammered.
Are you speaking from first hand experience about their 'continual reliability and service problems' or what you've 'heard'? Just curious, thx

chgo_risti on IG
Old 1 December 2016, 12:07 PM   #49
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

AP is the new Panerai
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 11:30 PM   #50
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
AP is the new Panerai
not even....lol

chgo_risti on IG
Old 2 December 2016, 08:58 PM   #51
chemistman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you speaking from first hand experience about their 'continual reliability and service problems' or what you've 'heard'? Just curious, thx
I can speak for one myself. Recently had my 10 year old pam serviced. Dial was chipping and dust starts appearing inside the watch for no reason so I have no choice but to go back to AD.

Service time was about 2 months from Australia pam center (which isn't too bad). Came back with new dial, serviced movement, polished case (not as well done as Rolex, as some marks are very visible still) and worst lume (I have no idea how this happened but the lume on the marker were uneven- maybe it's an old dial ?)

Anyhow the bill comes to exactly DOUBLE for what I've paid RSC to overhaul my explorer 2 last year. Mind you I've actually broke the ExpII movement - so it was overhauled, polished and also fitted with new bezel. I pretty much got a new watch back, in one month time.

From now on I'm only keen on ETA based pam. At least you can get it fixed from your locals. But then again I'm screwed if something happens to the dial or hands.

(BTW the serviced pam came back in a cheap looking travel case with some brown smear. I hope the watchmaker enjoyed his food while doing the job)

Does make you think twice before buying the next pam. Such lovely watch though ...
Old 30 July 2018, 05:38 AM   #52
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Reviving an old thread here. Wanted to get your thoughts on Panerai and how they are being perceived these days. It seems numerous good deals are available on the secondary market still. I love the look of the Luminor Due, but disappointed to hear of they switched to a snap backed case and the usage of spring bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnik View Post
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 05:39 AM   #53
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Reviving an old thread here. Wanted to get your thoughts on Panerai and how they are being perceived these days. It seems numerous good deals are available on the secondary market still. I love the look of the Luminor Due, but disappointed to hear of they switched to a snap backed case and the usage of spring bars.
Old 30 July 2018, 06:58 AM   #54
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

it’s like everything in the luxury market....it ebbs and flows

chgo_risti on IG
Old 5 August 2018, 10:02 AM   #55
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
The snap-on casebacks were introduced to provide the consumer with a "new" entry-level price segment. Of course it's the same prices we paid for the screw-on entry-levels five years ago, but that's the watch-market inflation for you. Imagine wanting a Panerai only to find out the price of entry started out at $10K... !

Aside from that, general sales of new PAMs is just as strong as ever while the vintage market has seen a fall due to, in part, some horror stories of frankenwatches being auctioned off at well-known [auction] houses, etc.

The PAM 721 "Kampfschwimmer" is today's 232, the 671 "Blonzo" is today's 372... I could go on & on. There is no shortage of buyers for the desirable models and as has been the case for the past 10 years, there are numerous models geared towards the general consumer in between.

If I had unlimited funds, I could think of a half-dozen models (incl. the 721 & 671) I would love to buy...

Bonati may be gone, but OP is still going strong! Angelo, thanks for the 911, btw

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 04:51 AM   #56
synequano
Banned

Since the beginning Panerai have always been that obscure brand,kinda like apple in smartphone world,when it went boom in 2012ish,they were a bit more popular but I think recently they have gone back to being an obscure brand

As for me,I just what I enjoy and can afford,if what I wear is rare,I see that as a bonus point but not necessarily the main thing I'm looking for in a watch
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 05:01 AM   #57
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your input. I get the "entry-level" pricepoint/positioning. I wish Panerai should've kept the screw-on, thus allowing them to be true to their DNA, story, and etc. I assume most Panerai owners will never engage in extreme water activities with their watch.--soo snap-on casebacks shouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
The snap-on casebacks were introduced to provide the consumer with a "new" entry-level price segment. Of course it's the same prices we paid for the screw-on entry-levels five years ago, but that's the watch-market inflation for you. Imagine wanting a Panerai only to find out the price of entry started out at $10K... !

Aside from that, general sales of new PAMs is just as strong as ever while the vintage market has seen a fall due to, in part, some horror stories of frankenwatches being auctioned off at well-known [auction] houses, etc.

The PAM 721 "Kampfschwimmer" is today's 232, the 671 "Blonzo" is today's 372... I could go on & on. There is no shortage of buyers for the desirable models and as has been the case for the past 10 years, there are numerous models geared towards the general consumer in between.

If I had unlimited funds, I could think of a half-dozen models (incl. the 721 & 671) I would love to buy...

Bonati may be gone, but OP is still going strong! Angelo, thanks for the 911, btw

Old 6 August 2018, 05:04 AM   #58
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Totally agree with you. People should buy what they really love, instead of caring what others think. Now if you plan to flip, that mindset might not work so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
As for me,I just what I enjoy and can afford,if what I wear is rare,I see that as a bonus point but not necessarily the main thing I'm looking for in a watch
Old 6 August 2018, 05:40 AM   #59
synequano
Banned

Maybe casual pam owner wouldn't mind 30m WR,as for me I might take off the due if I wanna wash my hands 🤣🤣
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 09:12 AM   #60
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
Maybe casual pam owner wouldn't mind 30m WR,as for me I might take off the due if I wanna wash my hands 🤣🤣
no need to unless you're washing your hands in ~90ft of water. 🤣😂😂🤣

chgo_risti on IG