The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 August 2018, 01:53 AM   #1
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
1983 - 16750 acquisition inside — can I join the club?

I just took delivery of a watch I didn’t think I would own... With yall’s assistance I was able to maximize my budget vs buy a beater gloss dial version from a less reputable dealer.

Forum member The Argonaut convinced me to keep looking which I appreciate. The experts verified what I was looking at, the good and the bad.

I have two links and a bezel insert inbound thanks to the members here. I will eventually replace the crystal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 01:56 AM   #2
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
beauty!
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 01:56 AM   #3
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Tekno, well bloody done. A really first class watch, which has given me pause to re-think my strategy (I posted a question on it).

Great talking yesterday. I’m thrilled for you. It’s a really lovely piece, and frankly at a bargain price.

Best,
TA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 03:08 AM   #4
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
Tekno, well bloody done. A really first class watch, which has given me pause to re-think my strategy (I posted a question on it).

Great talking yesterday. I’m thrilled for you. It’s a really lovely piece, and frankly at a bargain price.

Best,
TA

If you aren’t spending the kids college tuition on the watch you found or having to max out 4 x credit cards to do it I say buy it. You could fall over dead a couple months from now. Live a little.

I may have gotten a good deal on this watch compared to the current market offerings in the price range but there are vast differences between this particular watch and yours. Most guys here would stay clear of this with the missing 12 o’clock lume, service hands, aftermarket crystal. The rest is GTG as far as I can tell. Right clasp, date wheel, nice bracelet.

For the price you are paying, you get:
- full service $800-1000
- Pepsi bezel ring $300-800? I don’t know what bezel you have but it is more desirable.
- minty case $priceless
- probably a full bracelet $100-150 more, you probably have a 8” wrist.

Right out of the gate I had to drop $380.00 on the bezel and links, and I will have to get it pressure tested.

Old 2 August 2018, 03:14 AM   #5
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
If you aren’t spending the kids college tuition on the watch you found or having to max out 4 x credit cards to do it I say buy it. You could fall over dead a couple months from now. Live a little.

I may have gotten a good deal on this watch compared to the current market offerings in the price range but there are vast differences between this particular watch and yours. Most guys here would stay clear of this with the missing 12 o’clock lume, service hands, aftermarket crystal. The rest is GTG as far as I can tell. Right clasp, date wheel, nice bracelet.

For the price you are paying, you get:
- full service $800-1000
- Pepsi bezel ring $300-800? I don’t know what bezel you have but it is more desirable.
- minty case $priceless
- probably a full bracelet $100-150 more, you probably have a 8” wrist.

Right out of the gate I had to drop $380.00 on the bezel and links, and I will have to get it pressure tested.

Tekno,

You're a good man and I very much appreciate your candid thoughts and advice.

Best,
TA
Old 2 August 2018, 03:45 AM   #6
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t think there are any real “deals” or “bargains” in this world unless you are well connected/networked and people owe you favors. Favors are never free anyway.

Old 2 August 2018, 04:05 AM   #7
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Hey Tekno,

I really appreciate the steer. I’m back on course. I just spoke to my watch seller and they’ve just given the watch a full service. That’s about $1k-1.5k with an RSC. All part of the service.

Best,
TA

Old 4 August 2018, 03:28 AM   #8
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Subscribed

Please post pics when you have the new bezel installed! Your acquisition might lead me to take my first step into the world of vintage
Old 4 August 2018, 03:39 AM   #9
2024 Pledge Member

Great score! I've had that one bookmarked since February and almost pulled the trigger on it a couple times. I only passed due to hunting for a different GMT instead.

It's a bargain for what it is, especially given current market prices.

Congrats and enjoy!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 03:42 AM   #10
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Congrats Chris...well played!
Old 4 August 2018, 04:15 AM   #11
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Matte dial (no metal surrounds) 16750 considered vintage?

Survey says !!!

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 01:25 PM   #12
2024 Pledge Member

BTW, what happened to the original black insert that was shown on the seller's website in photos 4 and 6? The insert you show in the first three photos above is different.
Old 4 August 2018, 01:26 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 02:14 PM   #14
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Super!!! Winner
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 02:17 PM   #15
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Tekno great purchase!
Old 5 August 2018, 12:08 PM   #16
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
BTW, what happened to the original black insert that was shown on the seller's website in photos 4 and 6? The insert you show in the first three photos above is different.

I have it, I’m playing musical inserts.

I’ll have a nice faded blue back and some extra links for my large wrist next week. The Southeast Texas summer heat w/12 links works for about half the day.
Old 5 August 2018, 12:54 PM   #17
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

I can’t explain the level of satisfaction I am feeling right now. There are few times in my young life I have obtained exactly what I wanted. It’s never easy but it’s always worth the hustle.

Each time it has come down to putting myself in the mix with the right people.

Old 5 August 2018, 03:03 PM   #18
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

====Plans for the watch====
- swap crystal for correct Rolex crystal, at the same time have the oring/gaskets checked
- find correct box/accessory set for 8.23mil 16750
- add links, change a couple link screws that are a little chewed up. Save the old ones?
- have It serviced by someone competent, it’s running 7.5 seconds fast per day so I should be ok for a bit. I would like to keep it running well, maybe don’t fix what isn’t broken. Lol

====Things considered but would like input on====
- look for a set of hands w/tritium completely dead yet pale enough to match the dial? Since the hands aren’t original. The 24hr hand has a gash in it, I’m Ok with it. I wonder what it’s from. The hour hand has a little issue as well. I’m ok with it as well. Any thoughts?
Old 5 August 2018, 03:07 PM   #19
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Cracking watch Chris, I'm from se TX too, pm me where you are from. Now to hold my head in shame, I sold 2 1675s flipping and what not then the market flew past me. Fun times while it lasted
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 05:27 PM   #20
RyanPrasad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
I think the issue with the 12 is that looking at it you’d have to guess this was caused by a human rather than naturally. I guess from that you hope that it was from when the hands/crystal were changed rather than something having to do with the dial.

I’m just guessing here but would be good to hear what other people think
Old 5 August 2018, 05:57 PM   #21
MP5

Wait I'm not so sure that is an aftermarket. Unless the person you bought from specifically stated so. It's got an older 1675 edge curve. The cyclops could be low mag maybe from lots of wear and or polish. I've seen that before. The only aftermarket crystal that I know of that is round over instead of sharp came from orchi. I'd contact springer or some of the other vintage gurus
Old 6 August 2018, 01:02 PM   #22
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have it, I’m playing musical inserts.

I’ll have a nice faded blue back and some extra links for my large wrist next week. The Southeast Texas summer heat w/12 links works for about half the day.
Nice. That other insert was likely original to the watch. Glad you got it.

I'm on a musical insert hunt myself. It's both fun and frustrating at the same time.
Old 6 August 2018, 01:57 PM   #23
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPrasad View Post
I think the issue with the 12 is that looking at it you’d have to guess this was caused by a human rather than naturally. I guess from that you hope that it was from when the hands/crystal were changed rather than something having to do with the dial.

I’m just guessing here but would be good to hear what other people think

I was referring to the 24hr red hand, and hour hand being a little messed up. I’ll drop some pics below.

The 12 hour marker is what it is. Under 10 and 20x magnification it doesn’t look like it’d crumbling or cracking. If it is hopefully not too bad. Who knows what happened. Its a 35 year old dial, and not the first to have missing lume. I have seen some heavy handed watchmakers before though.

I had one guy bust a sapphire Datejust crystal of mine, the same guy trapped a cool ranch Dorito crumb under the crystal of my Datejust. I saw the chips on his desk by the way. You should have seen his face when I said “there is a dorito in my watch”.

Old 6 August 2018, 02:00 PM   #24
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Wait I'm not so sure that is an aftermarket. Unless the person you bought from specifically stated so. It's got an older 1675 edge curve. The cyclops could be low mag maybe from lots of wear and or polish. I've seen that before. The only aftermarket crystal that I know of that is round over instead of sharp came from orchi. I'd contact springer or some of the other vintage gurus

Springer mentioned it was aftermarket, not a huge deal because the watch is sealed. I would like a nice crisp edged crystal if it is aftermarket though.

I keep reading about Orchi. Is he on any of the other forums? He sounds like a character from what I have read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Nice. That other insert was likely original to the watch. Glad you got it.

I'm on a musical insert hunt myself. It's both fun and frustrating at the same time.

I want to get a faded fat black font like the other I have.

I found the guide from springer on inserts, I think there was some info on DRSD.com or something like that too. I have found ways to ID bad ones but I have yet to figure out all the time lines/all types of font used/what is correct for what year watch etc.

Is there any definitive guide to inserts? Is the Mondani GMT book helpful at all?
Old 7 August 2018, 05:01 AM   #25
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I want to get a faded fat black font like the other I have.

I found the guide from springer on inserts, I think there was some info on DRSD.com or something like that too. I have found ways to ID bad ones but I have yet to figure out all the time lines/all types of font used/what is correct for what year watch etc.

Is there any definitive guide to inserts? Is the Mondani GMT book helpful at all?
I don't have the Mondani GMT book myself. I've considered getting a copy but would like to see inside one before making the investment.

My research on what's correct and what's junk has been limited to looking through many archives of vintage reseller sites over the years and piecing together info on each model based on serial ranges. Granted, that's not the best method since parts aren't always original to the watches -- but I usually know what's a service insert and what's old by now. I need to review Springer's guides to see if he details insert fonts by year. I've not seen such a guide online yet.

My current criteria is picking a font style that I prefer and finding that style insert in the color that I want, avoiding any aftermarket/fakes along the way. As long as I have at least one period-correct insert for my watch, the rest can be anything genuine that fits and looks good.
Old 7 August 2018, 05:52 AM   #26
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

If I bought the book I would rather the older cover as long as it was the same info without the newest watches.

Old 11 August 2018, 07:56 AM   #27
MP5

Is trust what springer is telling you
Old 11 August 2018, 10:01 AM   #28
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Speaking of Springer... I got this bezel earlier this week.

Old 11 August 2018, 10:19 AM   #29
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Speaking of Springer... I got this bezel earlier this week.

Looks great Chris!
Old 11 August 2018, 02:41 PM   #30
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Solid example..congrats, it’s a keeper for sure
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote