The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 August 2018, 10:51 AM   #1
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
PAM00720 Radiomir 3 Days Acciaio - Incoming

Until about a month ago, I did not realize that this was my grail Panerai. Basel 2017 saw the introduction of the PAM 720 and PAM 721, both which retain the characteristics of the 1930s original models better than any other new editions I have seen. Right down to case size, sandwich dial, blued hands and plexiglass crystal. The 721, which has the "Anonimo" (anonymous - no text) dial, quickly became super popular and much publicized. And the 720 seemed to receive very little publicity. The 721 dial was made for the "Kampfschwimmer", the German combat swimmer, while the 720 was for the Italian Navy Commandos, who operated the manned torpedoes.

Well, I have yet to see a 721 in real life. However, if I had the choice between the 720 and 721, I really don't know which one I would have chosen. As it is, the 721 was not available, and I am more than happy that I could get my hands on the 720.

I really want to draw attention to the amazing presentation box, and it's contents, as I had never seen any information published online. Normally, a presentation box is not a big thing for me, but this one does deserve mention.

Beautiful pear wood box like the others, but this one is quite a bit larger. Note the key hole:

The key is stored in a small slot on the right:

After lifting out the top tray, which holds only the watch, this beautiful book is revealed. I found the title translates to "The 10th Assault Vehicle Flotila (1940-1945 ). Unfortunately, only in Italian but it is full of some fantastic historical photos. The book, as far as I know, has never been translated into English. Nevertheless, it is a keepsake:

Under the book, a compartment containing the warranty book and a case with an extra plexiglass crystal:

For me, this model is as good as it can possibly get. It just ticks all the right boxes. I suppose if I had to stop collecting Panerai watches, it would not be disappointing for my collection to stop here.

Thanks for looking at my thread.
Cheers,
Carl
Old 5 August 2018, 11:13 AM   #2
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Big congrats on that STUNNER! I have the 721 and love it more and more each and every day. Sure is tempting to add his brother to the mix. Enjoy!

Sent from Beef’s iPad using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Big congrats!! Very nice.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 01:42 PM   #4
nick c
Banned

Stunning, congratulations
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 02:55 PM   #5
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
Big congrats on that STUNNER! I have the 721 and love it more and more each and every day. Sure is tempting to add his brother to the mix. Enjoy!

Sent from Beef’s iPad using Tapatalk
It would certainly be amazing to have both in the collection! I would never know which one to wear, though! To me, either one represents the quintessential Panerai, in as much as one can go without having a true vintage piece. I am neither a historian nor a Paneristi - at least, at this point, after only just over a month of owning any Panerai - all I know is how happy I am with this model and, after much research, would never feel that my small collection was quite complete without it. With the direction Panerai is taking, one really is uncertain when/if Panerai will do other issues with these configurations. I think we are both fortunate to have these models. And I am certain you are enjoying your 721 every bit as much as I enjoy my 720.
Cheers,
Carl
Old 5 August 2018, 03:14 PM   #6
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!!
Love those blue hands.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 04:31 PM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Fantastic looking watch.
Old 6 August 2018, 12:29 AM   #8
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
very nice, enjoy....

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 03:03 AM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Sweet.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 05:05 AM   #10
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Amazing piece! Love the blue hands.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 12:05 PM   #11
dantan
"TRF" Member

Very nice!
dantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 07:14 PM   #12
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
It would certainly be amazing to have both in the collection! I would never know which one to wear, though! To me, either one represents the quintessential Panerai, in as much as one can go without having a true vintage piece. I am neither a historian nor a Paneristi - at least, at this point, after only just over a month of owning any Panerai - all I know is how happy I am with this model and, after much research, would never feel that my small collection was quite complete without it. With the direction Panerai is taking, one really is uncertain when/if Panerai will do other issues with these configurations. I think we are both fortunate to have these models. And I am certain you are enjoying your 721 every bit as much as I enjoy my 720.

Cheers,

Carl

The 720 and 721 are to put it nicely — as good as it will ever get. Panerai lately has been in my book. Would love to add either of these two to my recent collection of Due and Base Logo. That would seal the deal for me.

Congrats Carl for the exquisite acquisition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:31 PM   #13
keller
Banned

Watch: Many Rolex watches
Sweet, congrats
keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:01 PM   #14
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
The 720 and 721 are to put it nicely — as good as it will ever get. Panerai lately has been in my book. Would love to add either of these two to my recent collection of Due and Base Logo. That would seal the deal for me.

Congrats Carl for the exquisite acquisition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for that! My sentiments were exactly the same, when I discovered that I could actually still get a 720. Whether or not I ever get another Panerai, with this one watch I feel as though my collection is complete. I knew when I got my 562 and 424, although I love both of them, there was something missing. It is kind of like my Omega 60th Anniversary Railmaster, I don't think it could get better than that, as close to the original model as I think it will ever get without going actual vintage. Same with the 720.

I sincerely hope you will be able to get your hands on one!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 17 August 2018, 01:05 PM   #15
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes and congratulations.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 21 August 2018, 11:54 PM   #16
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Congrats—you made an excellent choice. IMO, the 720 is more balanced than he 721...I enjoy the etched Radiomir Panerai on the dial. And it’s wuantities are further limited to 500...It’s a stunner of a piece and a great PAM to own, IF you only own one.

But owning just the 720 will be a joke—you won’t be able to do it. My prediction is that you get addicted to PAMs and this is just the beginning. Nobody owns JUST a 720...;). Enjoy this beauty and look forward to more wrist shots
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 11:26 AM   #17
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
Congrats—you made an excellent choice. IMO, the 720 is more balanced than he 721...I enjoy the etched Radiomir Panerai on the dial. And it’s wuantities are further limited to 500...It’s a stunner of a piece and a great PAM to own, IF you only own one.

But owning just the 720 will be a joke—you won’t be able to do it. My prediction is that you get addicted to PAMs and this is just the beginning. Nobody owns JUST a 720...;). Enjoy this beauty and look forward to more wrist shots
Thanks very much, Erik. You are correct, I can't own just one! Fact is, this 720 is the third Panerai I have acquired. The madness started with the Luminor 8 Day Titanium PAM 562. Then the PAM Radiomir 424 California. I had heard of the 720, when it was introduced in 2017 along with the 721. I thought with only 500 made, I would be lucky to even see one. Well, I was wrong and they had one at the Panerai Boutique here in Vancouver. It sold, but I was lucky enough that the Manager sourced one for me. So, that's it, at least for now!
Cheers,
Carl
Old 27 August 2018, 06:46 AM   #18
jeffygo8
Banned

Congrats!
jeffygo8 is offline   Reply With Quote