The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 October 2014, 11:50 PM   #1
HLS18
"TRF" Member

Richard Mille Watches

Hi fellow watch aficionados,

I am strongly considering to purchase a Richard Mille for myself. The model that I am leaning very strongly towards would be the RM 011 in Rose Gold. The other options that I am also considering are the RM 010, RM 029 & RM 030 (also all in Rose Gold)

I visited the boutique at MBS in singapore and was given the retail prices for the (RM 011 Rose Gold is SGD $167,800 and for the RM 030 Rose Gold, SGD $158,800). I went on to do more research online and found an ad for a used RM 010 Rose Gold going for about SGD$43,000 (a 2008 year model). I'm not sure what the RM 010 Rose Gold retails at but its definitely over a SGD$100k.

With such a drastic depreciation off over 50% (I'm not sure if it is a general thing or is it only this particular model), would it actually make sense to get a used Richard Mille (but still in good mint condition)? And if so, where in Singapore can I look at purchasing used Richard Milles and how much would a used one (still in mint condition with box and papers) cost (particularly the RM 010, RM 011, RM 029 & RM 030 in Rose Gold)?

If anyone has any information on this, would be great if you can share!
HLS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2014, 03:46 AM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

RM11's hold their value quite well (especially Ti and RG). Some of the specialty one off pieces don't do as well.

You quoted a 2008 model, yes prices do fall. BUT like anything, it's about buying right on the front side. RM11's are VERY hard to find right now in the US. I wouldn't get RM10 or any else, but an RM11--they hold their value MUCH better.

I would be VERY careful about buying used RM of any flavor. Why? RM is cracking down warranty work, and you need to make SURE all paperwork is in place.

For me, it was worth buying BNIB from an AD (only assuming you can get a great price). Paperwork is correct, I know the watch has a FIVE year warranty, etc. When you get into this price point it's not worth it to me to save a few thousand and wonder what is the history of the watch.

RM experts like Roger may have a differing opinion.

I can tell you this, I bought my BNIB RM11 over a month ago and it's hands down my favorite watch I've ever owned. It's literally perfect (for me) and without a doubt the most comfortable watch.

Have a look at this thread if you have not already https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=374620

My AD is expecting a RG RM11 MAYBE at the end of the year, and I hope to add it to my Ti RM11.

texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2014, 09:59 AM   #3
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
SGD43,000 for a 10RG is a pretty good price it must be said but I would skip straight to an 11. I understand Paul's points about ADs but I frequently buy used RMs as well as new ones, and have never had any problems with warranty work of course as long as the papers are all present and correct and stamped and dates. If you buy RMs well the depreciation will be minimal (10-15%), if you pay full retail, it will be brutal!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2014, 10:25 AM   #4
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
SGD43,000 for a 10RG is a pretty good price it must be said but I would skip straight to an 11. I understand Paul's points about ADs but I frequently buy used RMs as well as new ones, and have never had any problems with warranty work of course as long as the papers are all present and correct and stamped and dates. If you buy RMs well the depreciation will be minimal (10-15%), if you pay full retail, it will be brutal!
Agree, however if one buys ANY watch at full retail it's brutal

Straight to RM011 is absolutely the right call. RM010 is not the watch to get.

Get a great price on BNIB and you'll be more than fine. If you trust used go for it.

At the end of the day it's about supply and demand right now on RM011.

Bottom line RM011 is a killer watch and you will be more than happy

Let us know your thoughts and if you get the RM11 RG you will have one the hardest RM's to acquire today. Fantastic watch!
Old 31 October 2014, 03:54 AM   #5
HLS18
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing the information guys! Yeah I went down to the AD again and tried on the RM010, 011 & 030 to compare them and after doing so, I would say that I am leaning towards the RM011 but was told the Rose Gold was extremely hard to get (versions I tried was the Titanium & Silicon Nitride). As to whether I would get it new or used, I think to avoid the worries and like what Paul said, at this price point it isn't worth to save and get a better deal unless if the difference is in the high 5 figures to 6 figures with all the boxes and paperwork.

In any case with the RM011 & even 030 in Rose Gold being very hard to find, I doubt a mint condition used would be easy to find at a good price so I'll probably save myself the hassle and worries of the history of the watch by getting it brand new.

Also possibly considering a tourbillon watch particularly these options: RM 021, 036 & 052. I know they are all different types of watches but which one would appeal to you and why? Info on these models would greatly help too!
Old 31 October 2014, 04:10 AM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS18 View Post
Thanks for sharing the information guys! Yeah I went down to the AD again and tried on the RM010, 011 & 030 to compare them and after doing so, I would say that I am leaning towards the RM011 but was told the Rose Gold was extremely hard to get (versions I tried was the Titanium & Silicon Nitride). As to whether I would get it new or used, I think to avoid the worries and like what Paul said, at this price point it isn't worth to save and get a better deal unless if the difference is in the high 5 figures to 6 figures with all the boxes and paperwork.

In any case with the RM011 & even 030 in Rose Gold being very hard to find, I doubt a mint condition used would be easy to find at a good price so I'll probably save myself the hassle and worries of the history of the watch by getting it brand new.

Also possibly considering a tourbillon watch particularly these options: RM 021, 036 & 052. I know they are all different types of watches but which one would appeal to you and why? Info on these models would greatly help too!
Roger and others are going to be able to tell you about Tourbs.

Which RM11's do they have in stock?
Old 31 October 2014, 07:24 AM   #7
conkers
"TRF" Member

The tourbillon pieces are very impressive, but IMHO you must buy used at 60-70% off to avoid some really painful hit come resale time. At this level, your money is much better invested in a Patek Grand Complication. The 21 is a nice piece, particularly in carbon.

Tell us more about the Silicon Nitride please - I have been waiting to see one of these in the flesh since it was announced 2 years ago. Brown bezel correct? Is the whole watch Silicon or is the centre case band titanium or rose gold?
Old 1 November 2014, 02:32 AM   #8
HLS18
"TRF" Member

Paul, the ones that they had were the Titanium Shot Blasting and the Silicon Nitride. And Roger, to answer your question, yes you are correct. Brown bezel, but the center case is in Rose Gold. A great piece but I personally would prefer the regular Rose Gold version.

I've also been seeing pictures of the RM021 in Rose Gold and really liking it more and more. I guess paying full retail for watches at this price point definitely is brutal considering the huge depreciation but it is not something I plan to sell if I get it. I did consider getting a Patek Grand Complication but I'm a young guy in my 20s and owning a Patek Nautilus 5980 Rose Gold on strap and a Vacheron Retrograde Day Date is more than enough for me at this point.

For Paul, Roger, and other RM owners, what are your thoughts on the RM030? From what I heard, it is also a very sought after model. The power reserve and winding indicator are definitely nice features on the watch but what do you guys think?
Old 1 November 2014, 05:39 AM   #9
el1125
Banned

RM 11 safest bet if purchased correctly. Great watch and super comfortable and all purpose use.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2014, 07:48 AM   #10
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS18 View Post
Paul, the ones that they had were the Titanium Shot Blasting and the Silicon Nitride. And Roger, to answer your question, yes you are correct. Brown bezel, but the center case is in Rose Gold. A great piece but I personally would prefer the regular Rose Gold version.

I've also been seeing pictures of the RM021 in Rose Gold and really liking it more and more. I guess paying full retail for watches at this price point definitely is brutal considering the huge depreciation but it is not something I plan to sell if I get it. I did consider getting a Patek Grand Complication but I'm a young guy in my 20s and owning a Patek Nautilus 5980 Rose Gold on strap and a Vacheron Retrograde Day Date is more than enough for me at this point.

For Paul, Roger, and other RM owners, what are your thoughts on the RM030? From what I heard, it is also a very sought after model. The power reserve and winding indicator are definitely nice features on the watch but what do you guys think?
I also like the RM30 but think you are paying a lot for a winding indicator vs. AC chrono of RM11...
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2014, 09:46 AM   #11
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Thought you might like this one, of course I'm sure you know about it but the detailing sounds more like talking about the part of a rocket to Mars than of a watch...

http://news.watchprosite.com/show-fo...tomatic-watch/
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2014, 10:18 AM   #12
conkers
"TRF" Member

30 is poor value in my opinion (even by RM standards) and the complication is of little practical use.

11 the most liquid market and I think is the best way to start an RM affair.

21 in a completely different league. Given your age maybe consider a ROO Tourbillon instead, but again ensure you get a large discount!
Old 1 November 2014, 10:05 PM   #13
texex91
"TRF" Member

I would set your sights on RM11 for now in RG and get a decent discount. As roger mentioned once the RM love affair starts with 11 then start to look at other models. If you buy 11 right, you will be fine on backend. It's an abosulety perfect watch and for your age will go great with your lifestyle. Let us know what you decide. You will not regret the 011 at all.
Old 13 November 2014, 05:00 PM   #14
DreambreaX
Banned

yes, get the RM 11 RG. is one of the best watch ever.
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mille , richard mille