The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 26 July 2017, 02:50 AM   #1
whirlwynds
"TRF" Member

Patek Calatrava 96

Hi guys,

Thinking of buying this Patek Phillippe Calatrava 96 from a local jeweler. Any thoughts on this watch? It's my first Patek so want to be careful. TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patek1.jpg (65.4 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg patek2.jpg (105.0 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg patek3.jpg (45.8 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg patek4.jpg (33.9 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg patek5.jpg (39.4 KB, 442 views)
whirlwynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 02:51 AM   #2
whirlwynds
"TRF" Member

more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patek6.jpg (46.5 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg patek7.jpg (28.7 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg patek8.jpg (59.9 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg patek9.jpg (55.6 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg patek10.jpg (52.5 KB, 441 views)
Old 26 July 2017, 06:41 AM   #3
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Dial looks redone. Strap is fake. Need to see inside to say more.

It's a vintage watch so make sure it's been serviced and running properly or factor a spa trip into the price.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 02:40 AM   #4
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Dial looks redone. Strap is fake. Need to see inside to say more.

It's a vintage watch so make sure it's been serviced and running properly or factor a spa trip into the price.
What makes you think its a redial? Looks pretty perfect to me?

Adam
Old 27 July 2017, 03:06 AM   #5
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
What makes you think its a redial? Looks pretty perfect to me?

Adam
Precisely the reason.

I'm not a vintage expert by any means, but when was the last time you saw a 55+ year old watch with such a perfect dial? No corrosion, no fading, etc. Remember that not only is this watch more than a half century old, it's only protection to moisture has been a snap-on caseback. I'm not saying it's impossible, just improbable. Judging by the case, it's been worn.

What do you make of the strap? Looks equally pristine and have you seen PP markings like that on straps before? Not asking rhetorically, I genuinely don't know, but I haven't.

Vintage market is a quagmire and I always encourage a healthy degree of skepticism. I suggested to the OP that he post this to the Patek forum for additional input. I'm fairly good with calatravas, and modern complications, but not so much with this vintage. Hopefully there are those more knowledgeable that can reassure or dissuade the OP.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 03:29 AM   #6
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Thanks your feedback
Regards
Old 27 July 2017, 07:02 AM   #7
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

It looks like plating coming off on either side of the crown on the case..Different coloration. Could be just a reflection....
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:09 AM   #8
arejay
"TRF" Member

I answered in another thread you opened but I'll paste it here as well since the pictures are here:

This watch has seen modifications at best. The hands present aren't original. The crown is likely replaced as I believe the original 96 did not have the calatrava logo on it. The dial "may" be a service replacement as it looks similar to service replacement dials I've seen before. This is likely the scenario, as many sustain water damage from the snap on caseback.

Also noted, it appears to be polished. The lugs are the giveaway. You can see this in the lug holes. They aren't precisely cut/flush with the side and divot inwards. As others have stated, the strap is aftermarket and easily available on eBay. Not sure about the buckle as I can't the the markings.

Hope this helps

My steel 96 for reference:

arejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 07:11 AM   #9
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSM View Post
It looks like plating coming off on either side of the crown on the case..Different coloration. Could be just a reflection....
Watch is 18kt gold
assay mark (small) but looks correct, as does case and crown!

Are you saying the whole watch is fake?

A
Old 27 July 2017, 07:29 AM   #10
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Watch is 18kt gold
assay mark (small) but looks correct, as does case and crown!

Are you saying the whole watch is fake?

A
Not saying its fake at all, I just noticed the coloration difference around the crown on the case.

As far as the assay mark, I have seen many times things are stamped 14K or 18K and they are plated or 10-12K.

I guess at the end of the day you have to feel good about the purchase. How long has the company been around? Is the company reputable? What is the return policy?

If you have the ser number and other data you can submit to Patek and get info on it.

https://www.patek.com/en/client-serv...m-the-archives
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 10:31 PM   #11
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
I have owned several 96’s over the years of collecting watches. Always interested when one comes up for sale. Love this one!

Regarding this watch, the dial is beautiful, redone? Your decision to make. I do buy watches with beautiful redone dials.

Polished? Again your decision.

No photo of the movement. A few photos of the movement will give you a lot of information. You can search the date of manufacture based on the case number and movement number. It will also tell you the general overall condition of the watch.

Archive of the record will also give you this information, and also give you Patek’s blessing that it is genuine (CHF 100).

Strap is PP.
The crown is PP, may be a replacement, but many later 96’s have a calatrava cross crown. I happen to like the cross crown, adds a bit of character to the watch.

Box is PP.

All in all a great daily driver.

Wear it and enjoy!
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 10:57 PM   #12
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
I have owned several 96’s over the years of collecting watches. Always interested when one comes up for sale. Love this one!

Regarding this watch, the dial is beautiful, redone? Your decision to make. I do buy watches with beautiful redone dials.

Polished? Again your decision.

No photo of the movement. A few photos of the movement will give you a lot of information. You can search the date of manufacture based on the case number and movement number. It will also tell you the general overall condition of the watch.

Archive of the record will also give you this information, and also give you Patek’s blessing that it is genuine (CHF 100).

Strap is PP.
The crown is PP, may be a replacement, but many later 96’s have a calatrava cross crown. I happen to like the cross crown, adds a bit of character to the watch.

Box is PP.

All in all a great daily driver.

Wear it and enjoy!
My thoughts entirely. Thanks your input
adam
Old 29 July 2017, 08:20 AM   #13
whirlwynds
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I was able to contact the original owner and have the watch independently verified by a watchmaker. The watch is 100% original and is a late model Calatrava with a 27 AM 400 movement. Strap and buckle are original and signed as is dial. It was part of a 120+ watch collection and as such was a safe queen and hardly worn. Incredible find and am enjoying it now. Thanks again to all!
Old 29 July 2017, 08:40 AM   #14
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwynds View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. I was able to contact the original owner and have the watch independently verified by a watchmaker. The watch is 100% original and is a late model Calatrava with a 27 AM 400 movement. Strap and buckle are original and signed as is dial. It was part of a 120+ watch collection and as such was a safe queen and hardly worn. Incredible find and am enjoying it now. Thanks again to all!
Glad it verified as I thoughts
Regards
A