The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2006, 05:04 AM   #1
Johnny B

Watch: All of 'em!!
GMT crown??

What's up guys? Listen, I've been thinking about getting another Rolex to add to the collection, but I'm having some problems deciding between a black bezel GMT and a black Sub date. Here's my dilemma: I've owned a sub and I truely loved it, but I'm not sure if I want to pay $4,000+ for another one. I'd like to try something else and I like the GMT, but it looks like the crown is pretty small. I had an Exp II awhile ago and I liked it too (and I'd get the black dial version of that one), but the crown was too small for my tastes. Give me some feedback on this crown issue b/c I know many of you have both of them, or have had them both at one time or another. Plus, my jeweler, Yacthy1982, is getting a sub and GMT in this week, so I want to make my decision pretty quick. Thanks a million guys (and girls)!

P.S.
Check the family pictures thread b/c I just added a pic of myself and ralphieralph. Later!!!
Johnny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2006, 05:07 AM   #2
Atomic

I have an ExpII (duh) and the crown size isn't an issue for me. Unless you want to wait for Rolex to make a 50th anniversary type GMT (which has the triplock), you're SOL. Get the GMT. The black ExpII is the ultimate Rolex, but a close second is an all black GMT.

Don't suffer from 'crown envy'... leave that to the dutch.
Old 21 February 2006, 05:16 AM   #3
Johnny B

I think you're right

Yeah, I've been thinking alot about the black ExpII. The GMT is alright, but all of the numbers on the bezel turn me off. I'm kind of leaning towards the Exp II, but Yachty1982 has a great deal for the Sub, so it's kind of in the air right now. Thanks for the feedback and keep 'em coming!!
Old 21 February 2006, 05:16 AM   #4
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
John is right, it really is a non factor as far as functionality. I guess in the end, like all decisions it would come down to personal preference. Best of luck, but both are nice.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2006, 05:21 AM   #5
Johnny B

I know that the crown size does'nt matter as far as functionallity is concerned, but, yes I do happen to like a bigger crown. I'm not really sure why, but I do like bigger watches (Panerai, yesss!!!).
Old 21 February 2006, 05:30 AM   #6
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B
I know that the crown size does'nt matter as far as functionallity is concerned, but, yes I do happen to like a bigger crown. I'm not really sure why, but I do like bigger watches (Panerai, yesss!!!).
Well in that case.

You know the 16610 will never be out of style, it is an icon. But I too find that my YM sits on the winder almost non stop. I am wearing a 24 right now, but will probably put the 88 on this afternoon.

Old 21 February 2006, 05:40 AM   #7
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I just got the GMT. I didn't really notice the small crown until I wore it for a while. I would like it if it were a little bigger, but it's not that big of a deal it just gives me more reason to want a Sub now
Old 21 February 2006, 05:44 AM   #8
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
I just got the GMT. I didn't really notice the small crown until I wore it for a while. I would like it if it were a little bigger, but it's not that big of a deal it just gives me more reason to want a Sub now
Small, it is just proportionate to little people, like jockeys. Know any of those mate?

Old 21 February 2006, 05:48 AM   #9
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Small, it is just proportionate to little people, like jockeys. Know any of those mate?
It's VERTICALLY CHALLENGED We're lobbying to make it a recognized disability, you know
Old 21 February 2006, 06:30 AM   #10
mike
"TRF" Member

Lots of great answers.

I got em all so I'll put my 02 cents in.

The GMT is IMHO the most versatile watch. Multiple time zones and the ability to time short events albiet in a rudamentary way. It's also a classic Rolex.

The Sub is probably the watch that comes to mind when someone thinks Rolex. It is as others have said a classic.

The dweller comes the closest to keeping the "tool watch" concept associated with Rolex.

The EXP II is a "stealth" Rolex and one rugged piece. I'm probably in the monority here but I'd say it may well be the toughest. No rotating bezel means less to go wrong and/or pop off.

I know what you mean about the crown,I'd like to see it a bit bigger on the GMT and EXP II simply because it's easier to use,but honestly you get used to it quick.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2006, 06:40 AM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
The EXP II is a "stealth" Rolex and one rugged piece. I'm probably in the monority here but I'd say it may well be the toughest. No rotating bezel means less to go wrong and/or pop off.

I know what you mean about the crown,I'd like to see it a bit bigger on the GMT and EXP II simply because it's easier to use,but honestly you get used to it quick.

Couldn't agree more. As I said in another thread today:

Old 21 February 2006, 08:05 AM   #12
ralphieralph
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER
Good thing Ed's on vacation or he'd hijack this thread!! Go with the exp II Johnny b i always steer you in the right diretion
ralphieralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2006, 08:05 AM   #13
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
The best thing I can tell you Johnny B is to try them all on one after another and see which one smiles at you the most. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 21 February 2006, 09:15 AM   #14
ralphieralph
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER
Listen to paul Johnny B!!!!!!
Old 21 February 2006, 09:54 AM   #15
Johnny B

Paul is right. I think I will go try on the black ExpII, but those pics from Atomic sure do look good!!! They make me want to get one tonight!! I never knew that you could put other bands/straps on Rollies. This just opened a whole new world of possibilities, hmm...
Old 21 February 2006, 10:56 AM   #16
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I will put my .02 cents worth in here since I do have a Sub and two GMTs. To me the crown is a non-issue. It actually can make the watch more comfortable. No big crown to dig into the top of you wrist. It looks proportional. The Exp II lacks one feature, the rotating bezel which is hardly something else to go wrong IMHO. Compare the two. =) maverick

maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2006, 12:47 PM   #17
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick
I will put my .02 cents worth in here since I do have a Sub and two GMTs. To me the crown is a non-issue. It actually can make the watch more comfortable. No big crown to dig into the top of you wrist. It looks proportional. The Exp II lacks one feature, the rotating bezel which is hardly something else to go wrong IMHO. Compare the two. =) maverick

That's not fair Dennis. You're posting pics of two things that are very hard to come by. BTW, they're beautiful. Thanks for posting them
Old 21 February 2006, 12:58 PM   #18
RandyS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Paul is right. I think I will go try on the black ExpII, but those pics from Atomic sure do look good!!! They make me want to get one tonight!! I never knew that you could put other bands/straps on Rollies. This just opened a whole new world of possibilities, hmm...
I have owned both and while I prefer the larger crown's feel when using it, it does dig into my wrist where the GMT did not!

Also, the look of the black/black GMT with that Red in it is really something else! I suppose if you have owned a Sub or SD before, the GMT is the way to go, that is if you are like me and your goal is to own all of them, eventually!

(one or two at a time that is )

p.s. two days after you buy the GMT the crown issue will be a distant memory

Last edited by RandyS; 21 February 2006 at 12:59 PM..
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2006, 01:00 PM   #19
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyS
that is if you arel like me and your goal is to own all of them, eventually!

(one or two at a time that is )
Hey Randy, I think we all know someone like that. With the exception of the Daytona, I think he owned all of the professsional line at least twice.
Old 21 February 2006, 01:12 PM   #20
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
That's not fair Dennis. You're posting pics of two things that are very hard to come by. BTW, they're beautiful. Thanks for posting them
Awesome watches, Maverick I especially love that Sub
Old 21 February 2006, 03:10 PM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Johnny B...simple solution....visit your AD....try on all of the above watches....see which one smiles at you with a twinkle in its bezel and a gleam in its cyclops....then pick only that one up....carress it lovingly....see how it responds....if you find your hand getting warmer and warmer....then that's your baby!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2006, 09:01 PM   #22
RobDad

If you had an ExpII and found the crown too small, buying a GMT doesn't make much sense really

In response to the comment re the ExpII being the 'toughest' I found the brushed bezel was a real 'ding' magnet - it may be tougher-looking, but a minor whack really shows up - and there's no cheap replaceable insert!
RobDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2006, 11:46 PM   #23
Atomic

Quote:

Johnny B, putting my ExpII on straps has breathed a whole new life into this three year old watch (note the bezel, not exactly a 'ding-magnet' considering it's been on my wrist 98% of the time over the past three years).

I just have the two straps so far, but it could become as bad as the panny strap sickness. LOL