The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: AP Diver Steel vs VC Overseas Auto vs VC Overseas DualTime
AP Diver steel 53 49.53%
Vacheron Overseas Automatic White Dial Bracelet 27 25.23%
Vacheron Overseas Dual Time Grey Dial on Strap 27 25.23%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 December 2014, 03:34 PM   #31
cervantes
"TRF" Member

If the ceramic bezel arrives, it will be awhile until it hits the stores. I also am not close to a boutique so I could only buy from an AD and here's hoping it's not a LE.

I'm curious to know if the VC Deep Stream is as muted as some people say. Still waiting for it to arrive at the dealer.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2014, 01:41 AM   #32
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Tried on the Diver again. Just wore too darn big, wasn't comfortable on me, didn't sit right. Going to wait and check out the VC dual-time.
Old 30 December 2014, 05:28 PM   #33
wisguy
"TRF" Member

You told me the chrono does not do it for you, but....

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=389355

This is Diver money, a better value in my mind. Just saying!
Old 30 December 2014, 08:12 PM   #34
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Slight preference for VC on bracelet, but prefer a darker dial. Do they still offer a black dial version?
Old 31 December 2014, 12:04 AM   #35
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Ap Diver vs. VC Overseas

I'll preface this by saying I am a collector of Vacheron's, but this is the "AP" subsection so I am in the minority. Vacheron Constantin is like fine wine and thus, is an acquired taste. It is rare someone jumps directly to Vacheron - most step into Rolexes and then move to AP's or PP's etc. But remember Vacheron is the oldest watch manufacturer in history with 260 years of tradition. There timepieces are more of a traditional elegance rather than the "blingy" AP.

I have the Overseas Dual Time with white guilloche dial bought on bracelet but almost always wear it on leather strap with deployant. I struggled with the gray dial but in the end, glad I chose the white guilloche dial - it is scintillating artwork. The gray dial is much more muted.
Out of all my collection, the VC Overseas is the one I wear the most. On leather strap, it goes with anything, very versatile.
Hard to say with your 2 beautiful Nautilus pieces. There may be some overlap but there is nothing like the Maltese bezel.

Oh and those who say VC has no resale value or can't get discounts are not shopping correctly. If you look carefully you can get good discounts and/or buy used without taking a huge hit.
Finally, last bit of wealth of information can be found on theHourlounge.com

If I had to compare these watches to cars, the Overseas is like an Aston Martin, exudes class and sophistication, and much more rare. The AP would be like a Lambo - much more showy and common (at least in Socal). It seems like Everyone in Socal has an AP.

Sent from my 16M
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2014, 04:30 AM   #36
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisguy View Post
You told me the chrono does not do it for you, but....

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=389355

This is Diver money, a better value in my mind. Just saying!
Not in love with the chrono, prefer the deep stream dual time. Have too many chronos already. But thanks!
Old 31 December 2014, 04:31 AM   #37
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Slight preference for VC on bracelet, but prefer a darker dial. Do they still offer a black dial version?
No black automatic anymore, at least non-limited editions. Though the grey with dark strap has a beautiful look to it.
Old 31 December 2014, 04:32 AM   #38
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Plastique999,

Thanks for those beautiful pics! Do you happen to have some more pics of the white dual time on that blue leather, that's a very interesting combo...
Old 31 December 2014, 04:52 AM   #39
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I to agree with Plastique's comments, buy preowned and forget about resale value and let's face it, most everybody here owns a Rolex, a lot own AP's, a few own PP's and very few own VC's.

You will be hard pressed to find another person wearing the Overseas no matter where you are, not so much for Rolex and AP. I wear watches for myself, but I do appreciate exclusivity.

Just pull the trigger already!! You're killing me Cervantes!!! But, for me the chase is more than half the fun of buying a watch, so enjoy it.
Old 31 December 2014, 04:54 AM   #40
Nitedeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex VC JLC IWC
I own the VC Overseas white dial, and it must be seen in person to be truly appreciated. It is as much of a rugged, tool watch as it holds serious tuxedo credentials. Fit and finish are, well, VC standard, which is among the best. Shares some AP styling which is also a good thing but seen less in the wild.
Old 31 December 2014, 06:41 AM   #41
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I to agree with Plastique's comments, buy preowned and forget about resale value and let's face it, most everybody here owns a Rolex, a lot own AP's, a few own PP's and very few own VC's.

You will be hard pressed to find another person wearing the Overseas no matter where you are, not so much for Rolex and AP. I wear watches for myself, but I do appreciate exclusivity.

Just pull the trigger already!! You're killing me Cervantes!!! But, for me the chase is more than half the fun of buying a watch, so enjoy it.
Dude, I'm still waiting for the dual time to arrive, its sitting in customs as of today. But I'm with you, I tend to like the exclusivity and rarity of VC too (though I own a few Pateks, but they kind of exist in their own orbit). The AP world initially wasn't attractive but the Diver held a certain appeal.

Its funny, once you get involved in the big boys its really difficult to play in the more mid-tier or entry level pieces. I still enjoy my tudors and my sub and JLC is my favorite brand. But I went today to check out the new Seamaster 300 and left underwhelmed. Just came off a little cheesy. I brought my JLC deep sea polaris to compare and I felt the JLC just had more class, coherence, and beauty to the design than the Omega. And I used to love omega. Dangerous game.

By after new years I should have both VC's on to try out and the Diver and will decide. Thanks for your help...
Old 31 December 2014, 06:45 AM   #42
cervantes
"TRF" Member

I dig your Vulcain cricket btw...Now that's a real under the radar but very special piece!
Old 31 December 2014, 09:38 AM   #43
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
I dig your Vulcain cricket btw...Now that's a real under the radar but very special piece!
Yep, a good conversation piece.

Old 31 December 2014, 09:42 AM   #44
dc98354
"TRF" Member

I've had 3 VC OS Chrono and non chrono, black and white dials. Well they are all gone and still have 2 AP ROO.

In other words, can't compare.
dc98354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2014, 11:30 AM   #45
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Wasn't Blancpain started 25 years before VC (1735)?

I voted the Diver... I had a VC OS, it was nice, didn't like the way it sat so flat on my wrist. Love AP tho.
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2014, 01:39 PM   #46
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I heard a rumor the white dial is going to be discontinued but I don't know if it is true or not
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2014, 02:22 PM   #47
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
Wasn't Blancpain started 25 years before VC (1735)?

I voted the Diver... I had a VC OS, it was nice, didn't like the way it sat so flat on my wrist. Love AP tho.
It does sit kind of flat, strange I felt the same thing. The dealer mentioned that it's one of the draws of the VC over the AP is the way it wears, but it felt kind of weird not that you mention it. Not uncomfortable in terms of wearability, just different.

Wish I could get the AP to sit right on me to really give it a shot, but I seem to be in-between holes on the strap and the strap is so chunky and stiff it doesn't seem to sit properly on me...
Old 31 December 2014, 02:26 PM   #48
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I heard a rumor the white dial is going to be discontinued but I don't know if it is true or not
Dealer told me that the whole line is due for an overhaul, not specifically the white dial. He claims the white dial dual time sells the best out of all the models and the black automatic was discontinued because it was a weak seller. The Giiulloche dials are a big draw to prospective buyers.

He's a very connected dealer so with these types of things I tend to take him on face value. But he said VC is very tight-lipped on product replacements and new movements and he can't imagine a new overseas without an new in-house movement. Take it as you may.

BTW, I didn't love the shade of blue on the chrono. Was a bit too stark and lacking depth.
Old 31 December 2014, 02:26 PM   #49
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Its funny, once you get involved in the big boys its really difficult to play in the more mid-tier or entry level pieces. I still enjoy my tudors and my sub and JLC is my favorite brand. But I went today to check out the new Seamaster 300 and left underwhelmed. Just came off a little cheesy. I brought my JLC deep sea polaris to compare and I felt the JLC just had more class, coherence, and beauty to the design than the Omega. And I used to love omega. Dangerous game.

By after new years I should have both VC's on to try out and the Diver and will decide. Thanks for your help...

Like minds...guess what my favorite brand is? That which has produced over 1200 movements and over 400 patents.
Here is one of mine...

Sent from my 16M
Old 31 December 2014, 04:51 PM   #50
cervantes
"TRF" Member

I love that duometre. Just tried on the platinum version as they didn't have the rose gold one. A heavy and big piece. I'm debating between the duometre in wG with the black dial and the WG ultra thin perpetual. Your take?
Old 1 January 2015, 06:33 AM   #51
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Another chrono for sale! Only this time with a bracelet included in the deal, you would have the croc, rubber and SS bracelet!

A signal if you ask me...

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=388801
Old 1 January 2015, 06:34 AM   #52
psv
"TRF" Member

AP Diver.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2015, 06:41 PM   #53
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Another chrono for sale! Only this time with a bracelet included in the deal, you would have the croc, rubber and SS bracelet!

A signal if you ask me...

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=388801
There's also a bunch of Divers for sale ;-)

Not sure, don't love the chrono, I've got enough.
The Vacheron has a strange allure, don't know what it is because its not classically beautiful to me - its just alluring.
Old 1 January 2015, 07:15 PM   #54
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Of the three, I would do the AP diver. It cannot be anymore of a scratch magnet to the VC and the angles are easier than the VC (however the case and bracelet on the VC are quote nice)
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2015, 07:36 PM   #55
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love that duometre. Just tried on the platinum version as they didn't have the rose gold one. A heavy and big piece. I'm debating between the duometre in wG with the black dial and the WG ultra thin perpetual. Your take?

Tough choice between the two. Firstly, would you choose the Quantum Lunàire or the original Chronographe? On the one hand you have a unique complication that JLC devised with the dual mechanism, resulting in more accurate time keeping.
On the other hand you have a very reasonably priced PC.
Me personally, I strive to collect unique watches - those that others don't often see or have. To me that lies in the Duomètre.
The PC is certainly a personal choice, and I guess it depends on what complication you feel appeals to you the most.
I personally love the unique complication of the Duomètre moreso than a PC.

Sent from my 16M
Old 2 January 2015, 03:49 AM   #56
cervantes
"TRF" Member

I like the chronograph model better. I think the chrono is a better implementation of the dual wing concept and I'm not sure I could handle the constant 6th of a second hand on the Lunaire model. I tried on the platinum version of the chronograph as they didn't have the RG model in stock. Beautiful, but big and heavy. Not sure what to make of it as it didn't feel that wearable.

I do like the finishing of the movement better than on the ultra-thin perpetual. It just feels all together like a more prestigious and expensive piece. From the concept, to the movement finish, to the dial texture and the case construction. It felt more impressive than the Perp. But I think the Perpetual's look is supposed to be different. Slim, minimal, and highly functional.
Old 2 January 2015, 04:52 AM   #57
Exclusivewatches
Banned

Watch: ING MY WIFE
diver, i've had mine for a couple of months now and i couldnt be more pleased.
Exclusivewatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2015, 02:09 PM   #58
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like the chronograph model better. I think the chrono is a better implementation of the dual wing concept and I'm not sure I could handle the constant 6th of a second hand on the Lunaire model. I tried on the platinum version of the chronograph as they didn't have the RG model in stock. Beautiful, but big and heavy. Not sure what to make of it as it didn't feel that wearable.

Totally agree with above...and was the reason I went with the Chronographe. I have the RG version and it does not wear heavy at all. Give that one a try.

Sent from my 16M
Old 2 January 2015, 02:28 PM   #59
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastique999 View Post
Totally agree with above...and was the reason I went with the Chronographe. I have the RG version and it does not wear heavy at all. Give that one a try.

Sent from my 16M
Did you see the platinum one? Very interesting dial. Not a stunner like the RG but subtly beautiful. Which model do you have - open-face? White dial?
Old 2 January 2015, 02:37 PM   #60
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you see the platinum one? Very interesting dial. Not a stunner like the RG but subtly beautiful. Which model do you have - open-face? White dial?

I have the open face RG with creamy dial - the dial has a very interesting grainy appearance.

Sent from my 16M