The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 April 2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Roovain
"TRF" Member

Nautilu, Nautilus, Nautilus

Really? I may be a "newbie" on this website, but I've been admiring Patek's for a long, long time. And I still don't get it. A few years ago, the AD's couldn't "give these things (Nautilus) away". And now, customers are climbing the walls for them. They haven't changed in style much, over the decades, so what stimulated this craze all of a sudden? For whatever reason, within the last two years, they became sought after. And that stimulates the human nature of COVETING. The more that these became unavailable and "dried up", the more the customers wanted them. Greed. This is no longer a case of supply-and-demand; it's a case of supply-and-coveting. And what really entertains me is that one of these recent posts claimed that the Nautilus is the "flagship" of Patek. Really? When perusing the history of this incredible company, where did it ever mention that this port-hole watch has been the flagship of its hundred-year-plus existence? Sure, it's a cute watch, even though (as you look at it on your wrist), it's more metal than dial. To me, it looks like the customer is purchasing a huge hunk of steel or gold, with a small odd-shaped dial plopped in the middle. My question is: Do you REALLY like this watch? Or are you just after it, because you're enticed by the exciting "hunt"? Don't mean to burst your bubble, but it seems to me, more attention is being given to the latter these days.
Roovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:02 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roovain View Post
Nautilu, Nautilus, Nautilus
Whats a Nautilu? I really want one now. Are they hard to get?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:23 PM   #3
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Try one on and you’ll see.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:45 PM   #4
TJMike
Banned

To summarize, the OP does not like the Nautilus, is shocked the Nautilus became popular, and is basically stating that anyone who likes one is a sheep and cares more about the hunt for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 10:58 PM   #5
rolex_addict
"TRF" Member

I would never pay a dollar over MSRP for any timepiece
rolex_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:03 PM   #6
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Really? I may be a "newbie" on this website, but I've been admiring Patek's for a long, long time. And I still don't get it. A few years ago, the AD's couldn't "give these things (Nautilus) away". And now, customers are climbing the walls for them. They haven't changed in style much, over the decades, so what stimulated this craze all of a sudden? For whatever reason, within the last two years, they became sought after. And that stimulates the human nature of COVETING. The more that these became unavailable and "dried up", the more the customers wanted them. Greed. This is no longer a case of supply-and-demand; it's a case of supply-and-coveting. And what really entertains me is that one of these recent posts claimed that the Nautilus is the "flagship" of Patek. Really? When perusing the history of this incredible company, where did it ever mention that this port-hole watch has been the flagship of its hundred-year-plus existence? Sure, it's a cute watch, even though (as you look at it on your wrist), it's more metal than dial. To me, it looks like the customer is purchasing a huge hunk of steel or gold, with a small odd-shaped dial plopped in the middle. My question is: Do you REALLY like this watch? Or are you just after it, because you're enticed by the exciting "hunt"? Don't mean to burst your bubble, but it seems to me, more attention is being given to the latter these days.
1) They weren’t exactly giving them away a couple of years ago...prices were not as nuts, but it wasn’t easily available
2) Patek makes a ton of references...I suspect it’s because everyone has different tastes. You don’t like the nautilus, that’s fine, don’t buy one. I don’t particularly care for many of the new 6 digit Rolex references, but that doesn’t mean the millions who are buying them are all being duped and blinded by greed.
3) as has been said, try one on, you might change your mind.
4) yes, I really like the watch
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:27 PM   #7
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex_addict View Post
I would never pay a dollar over MSRP for any timepiece

I’d never pay over MSRP for ANYTHING!!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:40 PM   #8
sando999
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5524G
I really do like it ...the 5711 blue was actually my first Patek purchase- not sure how likely this would be today ...it does seem that things have gone a bit crazy on this one but surely has to be due to it being a great timepiece as well

Certainly feels special compared to other watches at the same price point

No plans to “cash in”
sando999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:44 PM   #9
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Really? I may be a "newbie" on this website, but I've been admiring Patek's for a long, long time. And I still don't get it. A few years ago, the AD's couldn't "give these things (Nautilus) away".

This is nonsense. Hard to take anything you say seriously when this is how you start the rant.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:45 PM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I’d never pay over MSRP for ANYTHING!!!

Any item is worth what someone is willing to pay.

I recently purchased something over MSRP, and I am thrilled that I did. I have zero regrets.

Wait years, or buy now...I prefer to live for the now. Besides, in 3 years, if I even get it then, with price increases, I will likely pay near to what I have paid today.

Now that said, I paid just over 10% on top of MSRP. I don't think I would pay the 100% mark-up of the Nautilus. Then again, if I had the money, and I wanted it badly enough, I am quite sure I would.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:48 PM   #11
RHIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Any item is worth what someone is willing to pay.

I recently purchased something over MSRP, and I am thrilled that I did. I have zero regrets.

Wait years, or buy now...I prefer to live for the now. Besides, in 3 years, if I even get it then, with price increases, I will likely pay near to what I have paid today.

Absolutely!!! Market value is most definitely defined by the market — that is just my individual stance.

Old 2 April 2018, 11:51 PM   #12
RHIII

Personally - I love the Nautilus — it has a ton of pedigree and heritage — just like the AP 15202 (Jumbo) - an really set the stage for the modern stainless sports watch.

How is supply and demand any different from ‘supply and coveting’ really—- because the ‘coveting’ has created inflation in the secondary market? The watches have always been sought after by enthusiasts and collectors. I remember several years back when they were easier to source - sure. I also remember when my AD had 3 stainless Daytona’s in the safe to sell as well. Times have just shifted right now - social media impacts, increased demand, younger generations starting to get into the luxury watch ‘game’...and right now based on a lot of those things the (watch) market is at perhaps an all time high.

I am one of those who continues to stay on the ‘high road’ - I’m not going to ‘bash’ any reference, nor the secondary market, nor anyone who decides to flip or sell or whatever to take advantage of a ‘great market’ — period.

If you don’t like the watch — that is totally fine and understandable - a Nautilus is not for everyone — nor is a Daytona — or a Lange — or Breguet...

As far as it being the ‘flagship’ or Patek — all I can say is that it is probably (one of, if not the) the most widely know references...but I would submit that defining a flagship reference by manufacturer could have some significant variability depending on who you ask. I mean — we are not talking about Domaine Romanee-Conti, Monople compared to the Richebourg...or La Tâche...

It’s a great watch — and I do recommend trying one on — and it will give you a much better understanding...

Old 2 April 2018, 11:52 PM   #13
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Absolutely!!! Market value is most definitely defined by the market — that is just my individual stance.

I hear you.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2018, 11:52 PM   #14
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Has been difficult to get a 5711 for as long as I can recall.

What I appreciate about the 5711 is 100m wr
The organic quality and timelessness of the design.

The watch excels in virtually any situation.
Finally it is an Important timepiece in watch history from one of the masters.
It has remained nearly unchanged for 40+ years.

For those that say never over msrp... never say never, though I acknowledge that at current prices it is less likely to happen for this watch.
Old 2 April 2018, 11:55 PM   #15
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I was young, naive and innocent when I saw this:

3700.jpg

And the rest is history
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 12:11 AM   #16
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL this rant reminds me of a TRF member not to long ago who stated he was from Germany. Could this be his satellite troll account?
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 12:12 AM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
LOL this rant reminds me of a TRF member not to long ago who stated he was from Germany. Could this be his satellite troll account?
seems like a lot of effort put in for a watch you don't like. Its not like its a Hublot.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 3 April 2018, 12:34 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
A few years ago dealer's could not give the things away. Hardly true. The 5711 was a home-run right out of the box. They were reasonably obtainable up until 2012 then they became scarcer and rarer. The market is moving away from PM dress watches on leather straps and SS sports watches from most quality brands are doing very well. Try finding a SS Rolex submariner anywhere.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 01:16 AM   #19
HAL330
Banned

Watch: xyz
Quote:

I like that it looks like a cheap 1970 watch to the average stiff, but I know it's a fine time piece and made of solid 18k gold..

That said, I paid 4% below MSRP, not the $65K street price.
HAL330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 01:25 AM   #20
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Yes, I really like my 5711. I walked into my AD about 5 years ago and he had one in the display case. I bought it before the huge hype. I think it is more than a "huge hunk of steel". The finishing and detail on the watch and bracelet is second to none, IMO. You don't like the Nautilus and that is ok; Patek makes many different models for you to choose from.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 01:31 AM   #21
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

As i see it, it's very simple - people wearing more casual clothes more often and therefore the demand for casual watches has gone up.

The same phenomenon are causing the prices of vintage sports Rolex to go up at a much faster pace than rarer, more complicated and more finely made vintage patek (except *perhaps* vintage white metal patek)

(Best "bargain" out there is the 3970EP, but if the market never aligns to my taste and vision it may not be a bargain at all.)
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 01:37 AM   #22
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You seen/heard rappers lately? They're literally saying 'Fu** a Rolex' and that they want Patek Phillipe, 'Patty Cake'

Just like the Kardashians can post a pic on Instagram using a face lotion and it will explode, entertainment figures can influence an entire market with their lyrics. Not saying this is the sole reason for the boost in popularity, but it's definitely part of it. People want what’s ‘in’ and mainstream rappers are seen to be at the forefront of a lot of it. They did the same with Goyard recently, same with Margiela a few years back. However one thing is always certain....it never lasts. Trendy stuff can’t stay trendy for a prolonged period.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:02 AM   #23
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

Just asked in another thread, but will ask here as well... can anyone tell me what the current retail price for a 5711 is? and also, approximate wait time? I understand wait will vary from dealer to dealer, but just looking for a ballpark.

Also, what happened a few years ago (someone said 2012) that made the 5711 become white hot? I understand it was always popular, but really they've gotten out of hand now.
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:04 AM   #24
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
About a year or two ago there were threads proclaiming the Swiss were in trouble due to smart watches lol.
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:21 AM   #25
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
Just asked in another thread, but will ask here as well... can anyone tell me what the current retail price for a 5711 is? and also, approximate wait time? I understand wait will vary from dealer to dealer, but just looking for a ballpark.

Also, what happened a few years ago (someone said 2012) that made the 5711 become white hot? I understand it was always popular, but really they've gotten out of hand now.
You can get the rrp off Patek’s website. Wait time around 4 - 5 years as a ballpark.

In terms of demand, what I think happened is that in the run up to the 40th anniversary of the Nautilus, some would be buyers held off, expecting a new model. When that didn’t happen those same buyers got on the list for the current model driving up demand and waiting times. Add to that a Thierry interview where he said the Nautilus would one day be discontinued, a shift in the market to high quality sports models and the 5711 being seen as an investment watch and you’ve got a perfect storm.

Also a few years ago this forum was full of service and QC issues and at the same time lowered retail prices across the board. I think Patek lost some customers as a result. Either some of those are coming back, or Patek has now attracted some new enthusiasts to the brand.
RussW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:43 AM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
About a year or two ago there were threads proclaiming the Swiss were in trouble due to smart watches lol.
IMO its the low end brands. Those compete on price with wearable tech and I firmly believe their days are numbered. The future is upmarket and those few brands will be fine.

Wearable tech is disposable so they will never compete with high end watches which last a lifetime and then are passed down. Apple tried to compete in the luxury space, and their 18K gold apple watch lasted about 3 months.
Old 3 April 2018, 02:49 AM   #27
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Get it while you can. Basic supply and demand.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 02:49 AM   #28
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Nautili are great but I too would welcome some discussion about other things. Nautlius only buyers are missing out on the best the brand has to offer!
Old 3 April 2018, 03:42 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I love the Nautilus design and the way it drapes over your wrist... steel velvet, if you please.

However the blue/grey dial didn't convince me to pull the trigger when I could get one for a 10% discount a couple of years ago, but then the RG came out and I knew that was the one for me.

Can't remember anyone saying this is a PP flagship, in the sports line maybe, but that's not saying much.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 03:47 AM   #30
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Nautili are great but I too would welcome some discussion about other things. Nautlius only buyers are missing out on the best the brand has to offer!
Agreed