The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 16 February 2008, 05:54 PM   #31
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSubExII View Post
(...)Is Denmark EU???
Thanks, Lee!

Yes, Denmark is part of the EU.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2008, 06:32 PM   #32
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Bo, I don't know why you don't just become a watch dealer. Then you could buy and sell watches all day long. You could buy and keep your beloved Sea Dweller and either DJ or or DD, and still have a Daytona, GMT, and a few others laying around to play with from time to time.

It's your perfect career, and you could totally pull it off. There are plenty of lesser men out there making a good living off of watches. Imagine a trip to Basel as a tax deduction.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2008, 06:36 PM   #33
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Nah, I don't think so, Kevin! I just like watches in general. But dealing watches?

I'd like to keep my interest for watches on a "hobby basis".

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 16 February 2008, 08:11 PM   #34
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Hey Bo...

I'm a little behind schedule today but will be heading off to see the 233 soon. Apparently, as noted by Matt above, it's a 10 day model.

Maybe you can buy the watch in Italy, detour home via Geneva (then you're out of the EU) and save on the VAT.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2008, 11:08 PM   #35
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Matt,

Could you please clarify? By self-winding do you mean manual wind as opposed to automatic winding? The P.2003 is a manual movement as far as I'm aware, and self-winding refers to automatic winding...

Unless I've got the whole lot mixed up in my defective cognitive processes!!??!!
Panny's first in-house movement was the p.2002. Aside from small limited edition runs in a Radiomir, it was first used in the 233. See the two articles below.

http://www.watchtime.com/archive/wt_...006_01_056.pdf

It has been Panny's aim all along to modify this movement into a self-winder (that's an automatic) and chrono.

http://www.watchtime.com/archive/wt_...007_03_170.pdf

My personal opinion is that a 10 day power reserve meter AND a auto winder is somewhat stupid.

The p.2002 is a nice movement, the p2003 is great too. I just wouldn't have used the power reserve.

Follow me now?

Check this out if you need more info: http://blog.breitlingsource.com/2008...h-manufacture/
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2008, 01:17 AM   #36
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Gotcha!! Thanks, the Breitlingsource info was great. So the P.2003 is an auto movement, with power reserve display.

Well, I think the power reserve would still be useful, I mean, how many of us pick up a Rollie after a day or so and wondered how well-wound the movement was? I know I do sometimes

But 10 days is a lot and and could be redundant except for when you've left the watch for like.... 9 1/2 days?

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2008, 01:24 AM   #37
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Gotcha!! Thanks, the Breitlingsource info was great. So the P.2003 is an auto movement, with power reserve display.

Well, I think the power reserve would still be useful, I mean, how many of us pick up a Rollie after a day or so and wondered how well-wound the movement was? I know I do sometimes

But 10 days is a lot and and could be redundant except for when you've left the watch for like.... 9 1/2 days?
What do you think of the 79,000 euro p.2005 turbo? Ouch, that's expensive. I'll be holding on to the 233.

Hey Bo,
I have to second the comment that buying straps is half the fun of owning a Panny. It's easy to change a strap on any Panny, but the new quick release system makes it a two minute job max.

The other thing is most of the cool straps are 3rd party and don't cost anywhere near $500. I have 7 for my 233.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2008, 06:17 AM   #38
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Just like Patek: Glucydur balance with Gyromax adjusting screws.

Awesome!
Bo nearly all modern day balance wheels are made from Glucydur, its a alloy of beryllium, copper, and iron, all brands.Gyromax is just a trade name used by Patek,plus there are many others similar, Rolex call theirs Microstella.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2008, 06:20 AM   #39
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Ah, I see. Thanks, Peter! So there's basically nothing special about the balance Patek uses?

Old 17 February 2008, 06:42 AM   #40
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Ah, I see. Thanks, Peter! So there's basically nothing special about the balance Patek uses?
Well put it this way its as good as the Rolex system plus the few others out there.But is it better well thats down to ones opinion,they all work in a very similar way.Look at it this way Rolex and Patek make very fine accurate movements.While the Rolex movements will take quite bit of abuse,but the majority of Patek movements need a bit more looking after.And there slogan for the men's line goes, "You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation."

They fails to state that the average Patek's movement is quite fragile that it may be knocked off balance by the g-force of the average golf swing. And not to even consider scuba diving in your average Patek or even getting it wet.But movement wise they make some very very fine movements and I am not knocking them in any way. But like all thing today big and posh sounding words sell,you only got to look at the cosmetic industry for that. Most of the words used by them are made up words and complete in reality utter boswellocks.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2008, 08:01 PM   #41
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I really enjoy wearing some of my old watches.

My old gold 1948 Omega 'bumpersize 37.5mm' manual.

I don't know if the dial is original but if it has been redone I'd like to meet the man/woman who did it. The pix doesn't do it justice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05661.jpg (40.0 KB, 51 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2008, 12:02 AM   #42
time
"TRF" Member

Pam gmt is nice and special, but I don't think it is a timepiece worn till you die..