The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 29 January 2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Lol-x
Facilitator

First Panerai, what might it be?

I've been looking at Panerai watches lately. Having worn primarily Rolex for a number of years, the Panerai bug seem to finally have bitten....and bitten hard

I did what most people would suggest and went to an authorised dealer and tried a couple on. Compared to a 40mm Submariner the 44mm case Panerais are quite large, especially when one does not have a huge wrist.

There are 2 basic shapes being the Radiomir and the Luminor. Although the Radiomir is very stylish I prefer the Luminor as that has the patented crown guard that seems to synonomous with Panerai (although the Radiomir does have significant history too).

Next I see that there are quite a few variations in Panerai and the prices can range from around $4,000 to $80,000. I thought I would start off with a basic model but one that does come with a COSC certificate (always nice when you have been used to Rolex) and also one where the classic style of the dial is hot affected by a cyclops or date.

Most would find a 40mm case quite adequate, but give Panerai's history, I feel that a 44mm case is more in keeping with the brand. That being so, the stainless steel 44mm models are quite heavy to me on my wrist. Thankfully titanium comes to the rescue, and as Panerai is essentially a tool watch I find titanium a functional and aesthetically acceptable material.

The sandwich dial is also interesting, as it is something very different from any dial I have seen before and adds to the character and appearance of the watch.

Panerai offer display backs so that is something I would find interesting, more so than a solid metal caseback.

The manual wind Panerais have a power reserve of around 56 hours, so that is one wind every 2 days.

All the above taken into account I have reached the conclusion that the model for me would be a PAM177.

Here is a photo that I found off a German site, I hope it will sustain me until I can one day find a PAM177.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 177.jpg (138.9 KB, 331 views)

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2008, 10:43 PM   #2
walds11
"TRF" Member

I used to be into Panerais. I love the sandwhich dial. For a manual wind sandwhich dial, go for a later series Base or Luminor model. My favorite is the 233, but at $12,300 MSRP, it's out of my price range for now unless I sell off my entire collection. The 233 is all that I want in a Panerai...sandwhich dial, 1950 case, 8 day in-house movement. I got tired of winding my 112 every day or so, so I had a 104 as my last Panerai. I could handle winding a 233 once a week.
Old 29 January 2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I had a Pam 111 for a while and had a blast trying different straps on it. It looked just as gold with a black, tan or brown strap.

I sold the Pam but still have the 24mm croc straps in case I ever get the urge for another.
Old 29 January 2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Lol-x
Facilitator

Well Adam you have a point, winding every second day may become a chore, but the 233 is way out of my league too or what I wish to spend. I am really looking forward to a titanium Panerai, as the dull finish gives it more of a tool watch exterior and although it isn't feather light it does feel quite a bit lighter on the wrist than a stainless steel model of the same size.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 29 January 2008, 11:08 PM   #5
Lol-x
Facilitator

Paul I was || that close to getting a PAM111. They are a great looking watch, but I have never had a titanium watch before and so my thought is that what better occasion than to have a lighter case (which I prefer) on such a large watch as it is for me.
Some of those straps as you say are soo cool.

Old 30 January 2008, 02:06 AM   #6
oyster21
"TRF" Member

be careful, once you're in, it's hard to get out... :)
I found out that I am wearing my PAMs more than my rollies now. And the strap change... tell me about it, it's so addictive.
177 is a nice one, or if you want to go with the automatic, 104, 164 are also nice, but they are steel.
oyster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 02:39 AM   #7
bwalkerVintage
Banned

bwalkerVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 02:46 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
That Luminor is a pretty good looking time-piece Steve..

I'm not sure I would ever feel comfortable with one, but they are very popular right now..

Good luck on your search..

I know we'll be the first to see it when you pull the trigger..
Old 30 January 2008, 06:01 AM   #9
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Cant wait to see it......If it's half as good as your Omega GMT it will be worth the wait.
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 08:31 AM   #10
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
I have a PAM 27, as well as a few thoughts for you.

The Radiomir watches hold close to the wrist, and are very comfortable. There are also, I believe, more of them with a display back. You might look at a 183, or the 287 (no display back, automatic Black Seal). The 232 is also a wonderful watch. Don't worry about the size, as the 45 and 45mm Radiomir watches don't wear as big as the numbers would dictate.

In the Luminor watches, make sure you really want Ti. I've had two Ti watches, and I end up selling them because of the luster I enjoy so much with SS. The other thing is that the aftermarket straps available are more substantial than the OEM straps, and the 44mm watches wear much more comfortably with an aftermarket strap. Have you also looked at the PAM 25, the Ti Submersible?

My next one will be a 243 (pictured, but not my photo). I love that watch! It has the third type of Panerai case, the 1950.

Last thing, have you looked on the Paneristi.com site? They have a GTG (Get Together) forum, and if you go to a gathering, you will have the opportunity to try on many different models with a variety of straps...as well as meeting some great people.

Can't wait to see yours, and thank you for the post!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web4xw6.jpg (36.9 KB, 280 views)
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 10:33 AM   #11
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Been wearing mainly Panerai for 3 years, have gone back to others, but always return to the Panerai watches.

Have owned Radiomir's and Luminors, in 44, 45 and now 47mm.

I like the manual winds, and don't even for one second thinking it was anything but nice to wind my watches every day or two. In fact I love winding my watches and gives that feeling of intimate time with it.

Size is a non factor to me since just this week I went from wearing my 217 to my DJ and back in a four day period and never was bothered by the difference.

I do think the Ti is a nice option since the weight is a nice change up from with the big size.

Sandwich dials belong on Radiomirs and 47mm Luminors IMHO but the 177 is just a winner all day everyday.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 10:46 AM   #12
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
In the Luminor watches, make sure you really want Ti. I've had two Ti watches, and I end up selling them because of the luster I enjoy so much with SS. The other thing is that the aftermarket straps available are more substantial than the OEM straps, and the 44mm watches wear much more comfortably with an aftermarket strap. Have you also looked at the PAM 25, the Ti Submersible?
I didn't think there was such a great difference in the lustres of brushed SS v brushed titanium. If you see the finish of the PAM177 in my first post it looks pretty close to brushed stainless steel.

Thanks for the tips on the GTG's will have a look at that.

Also appreciate the tip on the aftermarket strap. I already have my eye on a Greg Stevens Crazy Horse, man those straps are just too cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post

I do think the Ti is a nice option since the weight is a nice change up from with the big size.

Sandwich dials belong on Radiomirs and 47mm Luminors IMHO but the 177 is just a winner all day everyday.
I remember a friend that had a titanium Festina chrono and just how incredibly light it felt. However, I did feel a 44mm Panerai and there was a surprisingly good amount of weight in it.

I don't know what it is but the sandwich dial just adds an extra dimension to the watch, kind of like a 3D dial.

Thanks for your advices

Old 30 January 2008, 10:52 AM   #13
miner
"TRF" Member

The problem with Panerai is there are loads of models to choose from. Most of the discontinued models are available on the 2nd hand market which only adds to the confusion.

I've got 2 - the 164 is automatic with numbers around the dial, second hand and date. Brushed case polished bezel.

112 - (Walds11's watch!) manual, sandwich v simple dial 3, 6 9 12 figures and sticks in between. Also has a display back with a polished case.

I like both because they cover quite a lot in terms of the look and I've gone mad with straps. Also for me the watches fit much better with leather straps even though they are quite big. I wear the watches at the weekend so winding the 112 is not an issue.

If you like the 177 you might want to check the 240, also titanium case but brown painted dial and date.

Have fun with the search.
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 11:22 AM   #14
walds11
"TRF" Member

Clive, I kind of miss the 112. I can't beleive it's been almost a year since you stole it off me :) My next Panerai may by a 233.
Old 30 January 2008, 11:30 AM   #15
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Clive, I kind of miss the 112. I can't beleive it's been almost a year since you stole it off me :) My next Panerai may by a 233.
Just gave it a good home

233 is a fine watch like you say earlier, and a fine price !

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 11:34 AM   #16
walds11
"TRF" Member

Cheers to it going to a good home :)

I love the look of the 112, but I got tired of winding it every other day. I can handle winding the 233 once a week :)
Old 30 January 2008, 11:42 AM   #17
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
I have never owned a titanium watch either but I have heard they are a bit of a scratch magnet. Ti is a little softer that steel. Good luck in your search.
Old 30 January 2008, 12:20 PM   #18
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I didn't think there was such a great difference in the lustres of brushed SS v brushed titanium. If you see the finish of the PAM177 in my first post it looks pretty close to brushed stainless steel.

Thanks for the tips on the GTG's will have a look at that.

Also appreciate the tip on the aftermarket strap. I already have my eye on a Greg Stevens Crazy Horse, man those straps are just too cool
The bottom line is go with what makes you happiest. I may have chosen the wrong word in 'luster', in that Ti has luster, but because of its darker tone, I find that steel has a little dressier/more elegant look to it. Still, the lightness of Ti is very appealing, especially in my bicycle.

The GTG's are always fun. Great folks who share many passions, watches and beyond.

I've posted a photo of my 27 (I used to have the Ti power reserve) with a Greg Stevens strap. I'm fortunate to live about 12 miles from Greg. He bought a car from my wife, and he is a very nice person. I really like his straps, as well as Micah's ('Molex' on the Paneristi site).

And I'm with dman. I wear a 36mm DJ nearly every day, and size is a non-factor. I don't care how a watch measures, only whether or not I like it on my wrist.

Can't wait to see the photos when you get your Panerai!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panerai27.jpg (87.8 KB, 257 views)
Old 30 January 2008, 01:05 PM   #19
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I had been looking at a 177, but the 240 seems to have more going for it. I tried one on, but it didn't "grab" me, so I passed on it.

The 240 is an automatic... there are those of us who feel that the historics are overpriced for what you get. The 240 is a painted dial, has date, and the dial is tobacco, which has more history paired with titanium.

You might what to consider it - it's only a few hundred more. Very new model.

Lots of pics here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Panerai-LUMI...QQcmdZViewItem

These pics really show the beauty of the tobacco dial...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...603/A+few+pics

More nice pics...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...+photo%27s..............
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 02:44 PM   #20
Downing
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD ExpII GO Nav ND
Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
The problem with Panerai is there are loads of models to choose from. Most of the discontinued models are available on the 2nd hand market which only adds to the confusion.
Amen to that, brother. I like the Panerai styling a lot, but for the life of me I can't keep the different models straight. I think I do better with names, like Explorer, Sea-Dweller, etc, than numbers. I picked up a Panerai catalog a few weeks ago but that hasn't helped much. Good reading, though.

They say memory's the second thing to go...

I looked at a Panerai the other day when I dropped by my Rolex AD. Extremely nice watch, and one I'd love to have. Manual wind. 8-day power reserve. Per my AD, this one's been discontinued. If memory serves, it was about $10K-$12K MSRP and zero discount. I have no idea the model number, of course, although I'm sure he told me.

My AD had just three, count 'em three, Panerais in the case, and this one was the least expensive of the bunch. He said they're very difficult to get, which is why they're not discounted. By way of comparison, he probably has 40 or so Rolexes at any one time.

The watchmaker up the street always has a few pre-owned ones in stock. If I ever take the plunge, it will almost certainly be there.

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Glashütte Original Navigator
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 03:53 PM   #21
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
It really depends on the time of year and where you live. Certainly there are models that are harder to get than others, but the majority of models people mention here aren't hard to find.

I called the AD where I got my GMT IIc after the PAM 240 was announced. In about a month I had the opportunity to buy one from them. They have far more than 3 in the case at any given time. No telling what's in the safe.

A trip to Firenze is always an option too if you're striking out locally. With the VAT refund, even the weak dollar nets you a few hundred in savings. You're far more likely to find models in stock at the boutique there.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 04:01 PM   #22
JackHerer
"TRF" Member

what is COSC certificate??? Is is Pam 000 COSC certificate???
JackHerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2008, 04:54 PM   #23
Lol-x
Facilitator

Jack a COSC certificate is a certificate granted to each individual movement that has been tested by the Swiss Institute for Chronometers and has passed the testing. The testing lasts for 15 days and tests the movement in a number of positions and temperatures. If it maintains a high degree of accuracy, the specifications should yield a watch that will not lose more than 4 seconds per and/or gain more than 6 seconds per day.
You can read more about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC

A PAM000 will not be COSC certified because that model does not have a second hand, however, each PAM000 will still undergo Panerai in house testing for accuracy and reliability.

Old 30 January 2008, 06:02 PM   #24
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
It really depends on the time of year and where you live. Certainly there are models that are harder to get than others, but the majority of models people mention here aren't hard to find.
There is a Panerai boutique in Beverly Hills, and Chad (the manager?) is a great guy, always very helpful.

Our local AD has quite a few Panerai watches in stock, so as you say, it depends upon where you live.
Old 18 February 2008, 02:40 AM   #25
sobmofo
"TRF" Member

panerai

have a panerai marina, when you look at the sapphire cystal at certain angles the inage becomes distorted and looks like a wavy bubble. does this mean the crystal is not sapphire, is it some cheap mineral glass? a friend told me sapphire crystal will never distort the image or become wavy, please help me to understand if i got a cheap knockoff watch here
sobmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2008, 03:33 AM   #26
lardog
Banned

Watch: Over 50
i have a PAM 61 (titanium )

lardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2008, 05:33 AM   #27
Thani
Banned

Watch: Milgauss 116400 GV
i like the PAM 090
Thani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2008, 07:03 AM   #28
haakon59
"TRF" Member

I have flirted with Panerai a number of times, especially the Luminor Submersible, #24, which is 44mm. While their watches have a number of fine features, I like the readable dials and the high luminosity. What makes me hesitate? The size. Although I have a 7.5" wrist, which is about average, the watch seems to wear large to me, but I have yet to try it on, at least in the last few years, so I may be mistaken. One thing which is difficult not to notice is that the brand tends to have adamently loyal owners, similar to Rolex, which is always a good sign. It is definitely a nice watch though. Congratulations in advance if you decide to buy.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panerai