The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 April 2024, 02:39 AM   #1
akassrugby
"TRF" Member

1655 dial and bracelet question

Hello,

This watch has yet to be opened so I don't have photos of the movement and I also don't know the serial number. Dial looks like a mkII. The clasp seems to be not original, but the bracelet and end links are likely original? No documents or box so information is limited. Any other information you all can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240419-IMG_2654.jpg (108.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 20240419-IMG_2657.jpg (104.8 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 20240419-IMG_2655.jpg (76.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 20240419-IMG_2656.jpg (71.9 KB, 129 views)
akassrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 03:15 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

You don't need to open it to get the serial number, just remove the bracelet. As far as I know, a 9315 is not correct for a 1655. Not sure why you think that the clasp and bracelet are mismatched.
Old 23 April 2024, 07:19 AM   #3
akassrugby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
You don't need to open it to get the serial number, just remove the bracelet. As far as I know, a 9315 is not correct for a 1655. Not sure why you think that the clasp and bracelet are mismatched.
I read that a 9315 was used for a brief period but that clasp is not the flat clasp that originally came on it, though I could be wrong. Does the dial/date/hands look good to your eye? Many thanks
Old 23 April 2024, 09:12 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akassrugby View Post
I read that a 9315 was used for a brief period but that clasp is not the flat clasp that originally came on it, though I could be wrong. Does the dial/date/hands look good to your eye? Many thanks
That's interesting, can you post where you read that? I was looking at the tables of original bracelets, and did not find 9315 paired with 1655, but tables can be wrong, so if there is an expert who knows differently, I'd like to hear more.

I'm not sure what you mean by flat clasp. Is there a date code on the blade? Can you show good photos of the clasp, the blades, and the flip-lock?

Anyway, I don't think it's a big deal, but if it's a 9315 clasp and it's paired with a legit 9315 bracelet, it's likely original. If the clasp broke in later years, it likely would have been replaced by a 93150 clasp.

And also, remove the bracelet and post the first few digits of the serial number between the lugs. That's really necessary if you want to get useful information.
Old 23 April 2024, 10:42 PM   #5
akassrugby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's interesting, can you post where you read that? I was looking at the tables of original bracelets, and did not find 9315 paired with 1655, but tables can be wrong, so if there is an expert who knows differently, I'd like to hear more.

I'm not sure what you mean by flat clasp. Is there a date code on the blade? Can you show good photos of the clasp, the blades, and the flip-lock?

Anyway, I don't think it's a big deal, but if it's a 9315 clasp and it's paired with a legit 9315 bracelet, it's likely original. If the clasp broke in later years, it likely would have been replaced by a 93150 clasp.

And also, remove the bracelet and post the first few digits of the serial number between the lugs. That's really necessary if you want to get useful information.
I can't find the forum post, I did find a youtube video and bob's listing with a 1655 with 9315, but I don't have enough activity to post them here.

The watch case serial number is 536xxxx. 1977. mk2 dial, mk bezel, both consistent.

The frustrating photo size limit makes posting a hassle, though I did clean the bracelet and take some photos. It is marked C on the blade, consistent with 1978. The sad reality is that I need to take a link out but doesn't seem to be a way without risking mangling due to having to unbend and rebend etc.
Old Yesterday, 04:44 AM   #6
akassrugby
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Here are photos. Flat clasp I mean without the "brick" pattern, unsure of the clasp model names.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240423-AJK09508-2.jpg (51.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20240423-AJK09510-2.jpg (65.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20240423-AJK09512-2.jpg (60.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20240423-AJK09515-2.jpg (75.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20240423-AJK09514-2.jpg (70.9 KB, 56 views)
Old Today, 12:38 AM   #7
XavierM
"TRF" Member

Hi,
You’re maybe mixing things between the clasp and the flip lock.
On 9315 and early 93150 bracelets, the flip lock is flat, just like on your pictures.
Stamping of the end links is different from what I would expect, maybe some experts could chime in.
I don’t see any red flag on the rest of the bracelet, might be worth to check the « patented » stamping on the diving extension.
I have heard on several occasions some dealers, would let the customer choose the type of bracelet he wanted on his watch, could explain the presence of a 78 9315 on this one…
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Clasp looks fine for late 70s 9315, IMO.
Old Today, 01:14 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akassrugby View Post
The sad reality is that I need to take a link out but doesn't seem to be a way without risking mangling due to having to unbend and rebend etc.
Go slowly and unbend the link as little as possible.
Old Today, 03:05 AM   #10
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Mk2 dial and Mk2 Bezel. 78 clasp.

I've not handled any 1655 with a 9315 but anything was possible back then (but the 580's seem to be not well fitting / spinning a bit).

I bought a 1655 back in the day with a 7206 cos the bracelet was unwanted by my dealer (he'd had it for 5 years) and did it nearly half price of a 7836.

The hands are very fresh, and quite yellow still, but I think perhaps orig. and not tritium service items.

Plexi and crown might be original.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote