The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 December 2009, 11:51 AM   #1
sambb
"TRF" Member

replacement with non rolex band

i am considering getting a SS band from qualitytyme for my SD. It is much cheaper than a rolex band. It does not purport to be a "fake" - it doesnt have the crown, and is meant to be an alternative. I am thinking of getting one, but i was wondering if anyone has any experience with replacement bracelets, are they sturdy?
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Whiskey
Banned

Watch: Deepsea
Ask them what kind of steel it's made from.

Rolex uses 904L.

I don't believe the replacement would be 904L. More likely 314 or 404?

You may see a slight difference is steel-colour between the 904L in the case and your after-market bracelet.

You're turning your Rolex into a Frankenwatch by the way.

My suggestion is get a Nato or Leather straps.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 11:59 AM   #3
submariner16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner,daytona
go for the original band buddy. dont make your rolex watch a frankenstein.. all original is the best...
submariner16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
submariner16610
"TRF" Member

never never do it on a rolex. you will just ruin the looks and the value of the watch..pls take our advice for this one..
Old 15 December 2009, 12:05 PM   #5
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Ask them what kind of steel it's made from.

Rolex uses 904L.

I don't believe the replacement would be 904L. More likely 314 or 404?

You may see a slight difference is steel-colour between the 904L in the case and your after-market bracelet.

You're turning your Rolex into a Frankenwatch by the way.

My suggestion is get a Nato or Leather straps.
How is it a Frankenwatch? I thought a frankenwatch was when people take genuine parts like the dial, movement, and then create a watch using genuine parts. But I agree you should definitely check out Nato straps. They are comfy and light.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is nothing wrong with an aftermarket bracelet........ so long as it's not one of the many counterfeits out there that are specifically to deceive.. No different than bying an aftermarket leather strap for a Panerai, Rolex, or Timex..

Aftermarket's are made by legitimate businesses and usually 316L Stainless..They are fit and finished very well..

It does not suddenly become a Frankenwatch because you wear it on an sftermarket bracelet..

As for NATO's.......... They're all fakes.......there isn't an authentic NATO for sale anywhere practically, so I would say, why would it be OK to but a fake NATO on, but not an aftermarket stainless steel bracelet...

However, it's clear that there are strong feelings either way.........
Old 15 December 2009, 12:17 PM   #7
pz93c
"TRF" Member

I agree with Tools.

Nothing wrong with an aftermarket bracelet.

Here's mine. I like how it turned out.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=92481
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 12:18 PM   #8
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There is nothing wrong with an aftermarket bracelet........ so long as it's not one of the many counterfeits out there that are specifically to deceive.. No different than bying an aftermarket leather strap for a Panerai, Rolex, or Timex..

Aftermarket's are made by legitimate businesses and usually 316L Stainless..They are fit and finished very well..

It does not suddenly become a Frankenwatch because you wear it on an sftermarket bracelet..

As for NATO's.......... They're all fakes.......there isn't an authentic NATO for sale anywhere practically, so I would say, why would it be OK to but a fake NATO on, but not an aftermarket stainless steel bracelet...

Well put Larry. I was going to put the Explorer on a replacement Jubilee, but ultimately I decided to put it on a NATO. Either way, the decision is up to you, and let us know what you decide.
Old 15 December 2009, 12:26 PM   #9
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
They look great and are no problem at all, I think it is a good ideal
Old 15 December 2009, 12:27 PM   #10
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSnyder View Post
They look great and are no problem at all, I think it is a good ideal
Yeah, I proposed an aftermarket hidden clasp Jubilee to JJ and I got yelled at.
Old 15 December 2009, 12:38 PM   #11
erock

Watch: 16220 DJ
personally i dont understand the problem with an aftermarket bracelet that is not a fake rolex one. i dont see this as being any different then the natos people seem to love so much. in the end its your watch and your money so id say do whatever makes you happy
erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 12:51 PM   #12
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Perhaps it is not my Cup of tea
BUT
You are not putting on a fake as it does not have the crown or any of that on it.
You are putting on an aftermarket bracelet.
Myself I would MUCH rather get an authentic Rolex band but I understand that is not always an option due to cost so I say get what you are comfortable with. I do not think it will be as good or as solid as a Rolex bracelet but it will surely do the job.
Keep your original in case you ever do sell it or decide to send it to Rolex for service as you can include the bracelet and they will give you some credit for it towards a new one.
Make sure to post some pics and show us how it turns out.
Good luck!

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:11 PM   #13
sambb
"TRF" Member

TO clarify-
I wanted to use aftermarket, I have a gorgeous rolex authentic SEL bracelet, but I work in a job that produces lots of scratches in the wrist area, because of how i place my arms. The watch case would be fine, but the bracelet and clasp area would be severely affected. I usually wear a leather band, so who cares, but with my SD I prefer the bracelet. Hence, I want to wear an aftermarket alternative until my job situation changes. At qualitytyme, I see ones that seem nice (not meant to be a fake - no crown, etc... just an alternative). Looking for comments.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:31 PM   #14
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
TO clarify-
I wanted to use aftermarket, I have a gorgeous rolex authentic SEL bracelet, but I work in a job that produces lots of scratches in the wrist area, because of how i place my arms. The watch case would be fine, but the bracelet and clasp area would be severely affected. I usually wear a leather band, so who cares, but with my SD I prefer the bracelet. Hence, I want to wear an aftermarket alternative until my job situation changes. At qualitytyme, I see ones that seem nice (not meant to be a fake - no crown, etc... just an alternative). Looking for comments.
I understand your situation, and I can totally understand your reason for doing it. I say go for it!
Old 15 December 2009, 01:40 PM   #15
submariner16610
"TRF" Member

Quote:
TO clarify-
now i got you.. agree!!
Old 15 December 2009, 01:41 PM   #16
Speed
"TRF" Member

Larry, you used an aftermarket bracelet in a demo in which you trimmed the end links.... Where did you get that bracelet???
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 01:46 PM   #17
tomee
"TRF" Member

im contemplating it too.
getting a aftermarket bracelet and just putting the original clasp on it.

dont worry what others say, its your watch, do with it what you want.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 02:19 PM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by masugu View Post
Larry, you used an aftermarket bracelet in a demo in which you trimmed the end links.... Where did you get that bracelet???
I got it from Qalitytyme.. The owner is a knowledgeable Rolex enthusiast, and I feel the products offered there may be of better quality than just buying off the bay, or known inexpensive (cheap) alternatives...

However, I will tell you...absolutely, after disassembling the aftermarket bracelet, removing a permanent link to see how it is built, and the tech work demonstrated.... it is simply not the same quality as a Rolex bracelet. I would much prefer a Rolex hollow link 93150 than an aftermarket solid link offering...

But, I do recognise that not everybody has the 1000 bucks it takes to buy an authentic Rolex replacement............ that's 10 times an aftermarket replacement.
Old 15 December 2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Speed
"TRF" Member

Thanks Larry good to know. I would prefer to buy genuine if / when I need to.

I purchase some bits / pieces to complete my Sub accoutrements from Qualitytyme. Did not know they sold parts as well. John seems like a good guy.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 03:55 PM   #20
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
TO clarify-

If you're gonna scratch the band, why take a chance, leave your Rolex & its band alone and get a less expensive watch to wear at work. Just my 2 cents.
Dr. Robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 03:58 PM   #21
shandy
Banned

I really do not see a problem with it as long as it is quality, it is just a band after all, not the important part! For so many years folks have not had a problem with putting on aftermarket bands, as long as it does not have fake markers it is not fake!
As for franken watch, well with respect I think that is taken the term to the extreem for a strap for heavens sake, if you were buggering about with the dial it would be different but the strap is just something to hang the watch on!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2009, 04:00 PM   #22
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

As per usual Larry, the voice and common sense and good reason
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2009, 04:50 PM   #23
Poohsan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
It is your watch. Do with it what you like.
I understand the desire to protect your band. I change mine out all the time. I have one band I don’t mind destroying so I put it onto which ever what I travel with.
Poohsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2009, 12:55 AM   #24
ed54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234, Speedy Pro
I've thought about using an aftermarket band to take the wear and tear while keeping the original band to reinstall if I sell the watch. Can the original clasp be installed on the aftermarket bracelet?
Ed
ed54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2009, 01:15 AM   #25
pz93c
"TRF" Member

Yep. It sure can, Ed. See my original post for a link to mine. It has a friction pin on one end and a spring bar on the other.

And you can use your original end links, as long as it has seperate endlinks and it is the same style bracelet.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2009, 01:20 AM   #26
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock View Post
personally i dont understand the problem with an aftermarket bracelet that is not a fake rolex one. i dont see this as being any different then the natos people seem to love so much. in the end its your watch and your money so id say do whatever makes you happy