The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 January 2020, 10:05 AM   #31
Clinton Ave
Banned

The fact you bit your tongue is truly pathetic.
Clinton Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 10:37 AM   #32
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I heard start to finish for some watches is a year also. It doesn’t mean they are actually working on the watch each day.

I would guess that’s the amount of time if you add up the leadtime of all the individual parts and materials.....of course they are made in batches and not in linear fashion, so there’s no way a watch takes 12 months from start to finish.
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 10:38 AM   #33
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Good Luck
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 10:43 AM   #34
bumbershoot
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubg21 View Post
I would guess that’s the amount of time if you add up the leadtime of all the individual parts and materials.....of course they are made in batches and not in linear fashion, so there’s no way a watch takes 12 months from start to finish.
It would be cool to see the factory and how the process is. I have got pretty close to my SA recently and he talks more openly about how many watches they receive... It was a lot more that I though and what other AD's told me. Vancouver got only one Daytona Rainbow and the AD I use sold it. I believed that statistic.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 03:01 PM   #35
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
If their lips are moving. They are lying. ;-)
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 04:43 PM   #36
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob020880 View Post
Stopped in a local Chicagoland AD today. Have been hoping to acquire the GMT Master II Batman Jubilee for my 40th bday in Feb.

I was put on their list last April, checked in during the summer, and again today.

The AD tells me they only received one of these this past year. Fine, I might buy this statement, but seriously doubt it.

But then she tells me that it takes Rolex one year to produce one of these watches. With a straight face and all.

I almost flipped out, as I felt I was being patronized. Decided to restrain all my arguments in case a miracle happens.

If it took them a year to make it would cost over 200k lol. Prices dropping on Chrono, and ebay too.

Interestingly they had a sea dweller in the case.

I cannot wait for this convoluted marketing scheme Rolex is perpetuating to come to an end.
You do know that was her tellIng you NO for the BLNR?
You’re wasting your time.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 04:49 PM   #37
mattmonay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
As I was placed on “the list,” an AD told me that there are only 2 people at Rolex who are skilled enough to make the BLNR bezel, which is why production is slow and stock is limited. I think the correct term for these experiences is “FUD” lol

Last edited by mattmonay; 18 January 2020 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Spelling... stupid thumbs
mattmonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 05:52 PM   #38
Soultime
"TRF" Member

According to this source, it does take about a year to make a Rolex.
See point 9 here....
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.b...ld-know-2015-1
Soultime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 06:02 PM   #39
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_Denver View Post
she was being honest - it does take a year, there is a lot of testing and quality assurance before it is shipped to ADs. they could have 100s-1000s of Batgirls made every day that go into testing/quality/etc and then a year later 100s-1000s are avail each day. does that make sense?
No
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 09:25 PM   #40
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Funny girl! :-)
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 10:56 PM   #41
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
It is a misrepresentation to say that it takes a year to make a Rolex watch, in my opinion. The assembly is done mostly by robotics and there is a little hand finishing. The parts are made and placed in holding bins. What part of the process are they saying takes a year?
As far as getting a watch from an AD, miracles do happen for non-VIP customers for hot models but I refuse to play the game. When the market offered discounts I would shop for them. Now the market is over retail and I still buy at the best price I can find. Go Grey, get the best deal possible. Get the watch you want and start the ownership experience. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 11:19 PM   #42
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Stopped in a local Chicagoland AD today. Have been hoping to acquire the GMT Master II Batman Jubilee for my 40th bday in Feb.

I was put on their list last April, checked in during the summer, and again today.

The AD tells me they only received one of these this past year. Fine, I might buy this statement, but seriously doubt it.

But then she tells me that it takes Rolex one year to produce one of these watches. With a straight face and all.

I almost flipped out, as I felt I was being patronized. Decided to restrain all my arguments in case a miracle happens.

If it took them a year to make it would cost over 200k lol. Prices dropping on Chrono, and ebay too.

I cannot wait for this convoluted marketing scheme Rolex is perpetuating to come to an end.
I hope you can land one in time
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 11:21 PM   #43
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You mention prices on chrono and eBay dropping.
Why not just go that route then?
Old 18 January 2020, 11:42 PM   #44
tx02ag
"TRF" Member

If a machine has 365 unique parts and each one takes 1 day to create, someone might say it takes a single day to make one. Others might say that it takes a year of effort time to create one.
♛ Rolex Sky-Dweller 326934 - White Dial ♛ Rolex Milgauss 116400GV - Z-Blue ♛ Tudor Black Bay 79030B - Navy Blue ♛ Rolex Submariner 126613LB - Blusey ♛ Tudor Black Bay 79010 - 58 925 ♛ Rolex Daytona 116500LN - White Dial ♛ Rolex Sea-Dweller 126600 - SD43 ♛ Rolex GMT-Master II 126710 BLRO ♛ Rolex Oyster Perpetual 124300 - Turquoise ♛ Rolex Daytona 116519LN - Steel Dial
tx02ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:04 AM   #45
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is the Batgirl. We can call it the Barbie for all I care, still love it and will have it one day.

The AD was James & Williams in Berwyn. Seemed like a great shot. Out of the in Chicagoland, seemingly reputable. I specifically went there first because I build homes in an area near there. Figured I would help out the local guy.

They had a yellow notepad behind the counter with a list of requests. When I was put on the list it was about half the page and only four other requests for the Batgirl.

I have found other AD's being slightly more receptive, or at least willing to engage in conversation. On the "list" at about four others. You can tell right away if its going to happen or not.

Enlisting my wife and cute kid to go with me to the next one this weekend. Wife wants to get this for me.

Can see it going better for her then me. She'll probably give them one of the woman to woman "you have to let me buy this watch for him, hes crazy, I can't stop hearing about it, its his 40th, etc" Nice lady at another AD this might work on.

Haha, this is so stupid.
I seriously doubt you will acquire any of these watches you are after with this strategy.

They have no reason to sell this to you since you don’t have a purchase history...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:46 AM   #46
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
I just can't believe their was a Sea-Dweller sitting there. That's the craziest part of the story. So how are you liking your new SD?
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:59 AM   #47
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

She just repeated the old marketing line from Rolex "it takes a year to make a Rolex.". The problem is she seems to believe it was more than marketing...
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:46 AM   #48
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn13ca View Post
She just repeated the old marketing line from Rolex "it takes a year to make a Rolex.". The problem is she seems to believe it was more than marketing...
Why wouldn't she?

I would 99% guarantee that she doesn't think .01 second about watches once she clocks out.....unless she has nightmares about dealing with WIS customers and timewasting tirekickers...

My point is that she will only think about watches at a very thin level....she won't be on the "forums" ruminating about them...so if the marketing training says to say that to the general public watch shoppers, that's what she will do.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:41 AM   #49
DPE
"TRF" Member

It could be a Silly Lie or they Only get One a year at their AD. ?
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:45 AM   #50
Spikedlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to narrow
Sounds like something someone at CD Peacock would say here in Chicago. I found them to be the absolute worst with knowledge on Rolex.
Spikedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:05 AM   #51
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
An ad i went to said it takes one watchmaker one year to produce one too load of BS
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:11 AM   #52
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
When I was doing business with Razny, they said they were getting two SS Daytonas/month. And that was before they opened the store in Chicago. 2 1/2 years later, I got my deposit back when I gave up. While demand for these SS Rolexes has skyrocketed, supply has not lessened over the last several years. I don't believe ANY Chicago-area Rolex AD is getting only one BLNR/year, but that's just my opinion.
Definitely agree with this.

Wife and I stopped by Razny when we were in the city for the week of New Years — nice people - good conversation and a great store— I was talking more Patek with them vs. Rolex.

They had some pretty interesting pre-owned Patek references (in the window) at some pretty interesting prices.

Also stopped by Swiss Fine Timing - to look at APs. Literally 3 in the 3 cases. Sad.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:30 AM   #53
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
If a SD was available ,who cares about the comic book character ???

I would have grabbed the SD
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:50 AM   #54
masterp07
"TRF" Member

It takes 14 months from start to finish to produce a Rolex. This comes straight from the Rolex training to the retailers. You have to understand Rolex does not outsource anything so they produce literally everything. It takes 14 months from the casting of the metal to entering the case. Take into account the large amount of time to get COSC and Rolex superlative certified....
masterp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:57 AM   #55
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

No disrespect intended but you might never actually guess what Rolexes actual marketing, sales and manufacturing practices are other than what they share publicly... And the SA at that AD is not actually privy to these things either. Lots of assumptions out there many of which are not correct.
Old 19 January 2020, 07:19 AM   #56
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedlee View Post
Sounds like something someone at CD Peacock would say here in Chicago. I found them to be the absolute worst with knowledge on Rolex.
Agreed. I go out of state now rather than try to deal with CD Peacock or Razny. I know lots of others in Chicagoland doing the same thing. Sad....
Old 19 January 2020, 07:22 AM   #57
Docaw007
"TRF" Member

True story I went into Ranzy looking at a Patek with my 519ln on. Came back a few weeks later with my blnr on. They asked how I got both of them. My response was no idea just offered to me from their competitor in the area.
Docaw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:35 PM   #58
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
It is the Batgirl. We can call it the Barbie for all I care, still love it and will have it one day.

The AD was James & Williams in Berwyn. Seemed like a great shot. Out of the in Chicagoland, seemingly reputable. I specifically went there first because I build homes in an area near there. Figured I would help out the local guy.

They had a yellow notepad behind the counter with a list of requests. When I was put on the list it was about half the page and only four other requests for the Batgirl.

I have found other AD's being slightly more receptive, or at least willing to engage in conversation. On the "list" at about four others. You can tell right away if its going to happen or not.

Enlisting my wife and cute kid to go with me to the next one this weekend. Wife wants to get this for me.

Can see it going better for her then me. She'll probably give them one of the woman to woman "you have to let me buy this watch for him, hes crazy, I can't stop hearing about it, its his 40th, etc" Nice lady at another AD this might work on.

Haha, this is so stupid.

It is stupid. Hope you get your gmt!
Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 05:40 PM   #59
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
If a SD was available ,who cares about the comic book character ???

I would have grabbed the SD
I find a lot of people on here say they saw an SD and it’s a black Deepsea.
Old 20 January 2020, 03:45 AM   #60
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Go to another AD. They are basically saying nicely they wont get one for you.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote