The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2020, 06:45 PM   #31
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Cough up 40k more and go 5370

Love this! My family and friends know I知 a watch enthusiast but most have no idea what they they cost. I壇 love to see their faces if they had a look at this forum and saw a post that says, just chuck another 40k on top!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:20 PM   #32
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Doesn't the 」 price include 20% VAT though?
Most people do unfortunately pay VAT.
OP I think is in the US buying from his local AD and FN I believe is a US buyer so I assume both would be paying a price including VAT/local taxes.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:26 PM   #33
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I vote go for it. Buy it right and enjoy the heck out of it!

This watch and strap combination is stunning.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:32 PM   #34
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i got into platinum showers recently.

Bit overdone mate

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:37 PM   #35
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekandrolex View Post
do u guys think this piece can double their price later?

I think no ,PCC are top watches but I think those are popular only among hardcore collectors(connoisseurs),if you can convince Travis Scott wearing it maybe push the secondary market price but until that you should wait patiently

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:56 PM   #36
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Most people do unfortunately pay VAT.
OP I think is in the US buying from his local AD and FN I believe is a US buyer so I assume both would be paying a price including VAT/local taxes.
That was my point - I don't think the US price includes any taxes whilst your UK one includes a full 20% tax add on. Even if it did include US sales tax, its much less than 20% I believe.

So the two prices are not apples to apples when you were referring to a 32% discount. I don't think the OP is getting anywhere near that. Otherwise I would like one as well !
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 09:02 PM   #37
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
This watch and strap combination is stunning.

It is a thing of beauty for sure!

Did you get your 5711 Ash?
Old 18 January 2020, 09:07 PM   #38
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
It is a thing of beauty for sure!

Did you get your 5711 Ash?

Not yet, I知 in to single digits on the wait list now though. I also have my name on a blue dial 5726. Not sure which will come first, I知 50 next year so I知 going to start pushing for delivery for my birthday, hopefully this will give them something to focus on as I was originally quoted 18 months in view of my long standing history with them.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 10:27 PM   #39
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That was my point - I don't think the US price includes any taxes whilst your UK one includes a full 20% tax add on. Even if it did include US sales tax, its much less than 20% I believe.

So the two prices are not apples to apples when you were referring to a 32% discount. I don't think the OP is getting anywhere near that. Otherwise I would like one as well !
I understood US prices are at least comparable to the UK? Perhaps it would be helpful to know the US list price including taxes.
Old 18 January 2020, 10:42 PM   #40
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Not yet, I’m in to single digits on the wait list now though. I also have my name on a blue dial 5726. Not sure which will come first, I’m 50 next year so I’m going to start pushing for delivery for my birthday, hopefully this will give them something to focus on as I was originally quoted 18 months in view of my long standing history with them.

Ok great. The 5726 is lovely. The chances of me getting that anytime soon are close to zero.

Im just holding my breath that I get the 5740 at some point this year. Been waiting for it for a while....
Old 18 January 2020, 10:42 PM   #41
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
I understood US prices are at least comparable to the UK? Perhaps it would be helpful to know the US list price including taxes.
Dont know?

Anyone know the US list price of the 5270p in the US pre taxes ?
Old 18 January 2020, 11:03 PM   #42
Nat123
"TRF" Member

US price

In the US it痴 $192780 list price. Different states add sales tax 0-8%.
Most AD might discount 5-10%. Some won稚 at all.
Nat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 11:07 PM   #43
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
When danestaff came to visit, we went to a few patek/rolex dealers. The Us fully loaded on almost all the prices was 20% more expensive if I remember and that痴 not including the VAT rebate.

The reason I mentioned the big discount was because Jame痴 AD is probably trying to liquidate the watches since he may loss his license. seen that a few time痴. Once with Patek and once with Panerai
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:02 AM   #44
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat123 View Post
In the US it’s $192780 list price. Different states add sales tax 0-8%.
Most AD might discount 5-10%. Some won’t at all.
Quote:
Dont know?

Anyone know the US list price of the 5270p in the US pre taxes ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
When danestaff came to visit, we went to a few patek/rolex dealers. The Us fully loaded on almost all the prices was 20% more expensive if I remember and that’s not including the VAT rebate.
On current exchange rates the prices on the 5270P look very comparable UK to US depending on local sales tax levied. I think UK discount is very unlikely and VAT rebate only applies to foreign buyers.
Old 19 January 2020, 12:24 AM   #45
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

I don't think any AD in the US will do more than 10% discount on 5270p.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:53 AM   #46
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittayos View Post
I don't think any AD in the US will do more than 10% discount on 5270p.
Except ones that are losing their status and liquidating
Old 19 January 2020, 01:07 AM   #47
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Don’t know whether this ad is losing status yet - anyhow I was offered this piece for 160k Us . Lots of Dinero! :-))
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:08 AM   #48
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Don稚 know whether this ad is losing status yet - anyhow I was offered this piece for 160k Us . Lots of Dinero! :-))
James if you池e guy is losing status... I would start figuring out what inventory they have and pounce when time comes.
Old 19 January 2020, 01:09 AM   #49
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Don稚 know whether this ad is losing status yet - anyhow I was offered this piece for 160k Us . Lots of Dinero! :-))
James if your guy is losing status... I would start figuring out what inventory they have and pounce when time comes.
Old 19 January 2020, 01:19 AM   #50
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Ha good one Jon! Maybe as a ninja you could help me do some pouncing when the time comes. :-)))
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:29 AM   #51
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
On current exchange rates the prices on the 5270P look very comparable UK to US depending on local sales tax levied. I think UK discount is very unlikely and VAT rebate only applies to foreign buyers.
You have to remove the impact of sales tax / VAT to really compare prices.

So in the UK the net of tax price is 」147,570 / 1.2 = 」122,975
The current 」 to $ exchange rate is 1.30. So in $ that price is 」122.975 x 1.3 = $159,868

That compares to a US list price of $192,780. So the 5270p is $192,780 - 」159.868 = $32,912 "cheaper" in the UK. Two ways to look at it - either Patek is charging US buyers too much or charging UK buyers too little. Either way, they are currently making less profit on 5270p watches sold in the UK.

A few months ago that difference would have been even worse as the pound was even weaker. Will this situation continue indefinitely? I dont think so as the 」s natural home is at around the $1.45 to $1.60 level. Prices will go back to being more equal at some point and I bet thats what Patek and Rolex expect too and are not increasing UK prices to equalise as they will have to decrease when the situation changes. In addition its also about affordability for UK buyers who earn and pay in 」 regardless of the exchange rate.

AP on the other hand are equalising prices as they go along. UK prices have gone up considerably in 」. On the same basis I would expect price drops when the 」 gets stronger.
Old 19 January 2020, 03:47 AM   #52
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

It is worse in the USA depending on the state you live because in some states like California add 10% tax and many out of state businesses are not required to add and pay Ca tax even if they ship out of state

Quote:

So in the UK the net of tax price is 」147,570 / 1.2 = 」122,975
The current 」 to $ exchange rate is 1.30. So in $ that price is 」122.975 x 1.3 = $159,868

That compares to a US list price of $192,780. So the 5270p is $192,780 - 」159.868 = $32,912 "cheaper" in the UK. Two ways to look at it - either Patek is charging US buyers too much or charging UK buyers too little. Either way, they are currently making less profit on 5270p watches sold in the UK.

A few months ago that difference would have been even worse as the pound was even weaker. Will this situation continue indefinitely? I dont think so as the 」s natural home is at around the $1.45 to $1.60 level. Prices will go back to being more equal at some point and I bet thats what Patek and Rolex expect too and are not increasing UK prices to equalise as they will have to decrease when the situation changes. In addition its also about affordability for UK buyers who earn and pay in 」 regardless of the exchange rate.

AP on the other hand are equalising prices as they go along. UK prices have gone up considerably in 」. On the same basis I would expect price drops when the 」 gets stronger.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:58 AM   #53
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittayos View Post
List price in Switzerland is now 170k CHF. Zero % discount is typical for such a model. You do get 7.7% VAT. Still, 163k USD. If you can score 150k, I will not hesitate to pull a trigger.

You can always kindly ask for a nautilus after you purchase this model. I知 sure you will be the very first customer to get it.
Unfortunately buying a 5270p will not get you a top spot for a Nautilus. If the 5270 is your first purchase, it will still be very hard to get a Nautilus and a multi year wait. But it is definitely a good start to building a relationship with an AD.
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 09:30 AM   #54
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Why?

If you have to pay it you can’t ignore it.
Old 19 January 2020, 09:43 AM   #55
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
Unfortunately buying a 5270p will not get you a top spot for a Nautilus. If the 5270 is your first purchase, it will still be very hard to get a Nautilus and a multi year wait. But it is definitely a good start to building a relationship with an AD.
Come on. Shirley you jest!
Old 19 January 2020, 10:03 AM   #56
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Love this! My family and friends know I知 a watch enthusiast but most have no idea what they they cost. I壇 love to see their faces if they had a look at this forum and saw a post that says, just chuck another 40k on top!!

Easy to spend other peoples cash lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
what nonsense
Old 19 January 2020, 10:03 AM   #57
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Come on. Shirley you jest!
Maybe in Uk its different than everywhere else in the World. They got special rules. I feel like the UK works off a different secret code.

Danestaff use to bake cakes to move up the list
Old 19 January 2020, 12:42 PM   #58
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Why?

If you have to pay it you can’t ignore it.
I am not saying you should ignore VAT. As UK buyers we cant. The question is however of price comparison between the US and the UK.

You and I as UK residents have to pay 20% VAT regardless of whether you buy it in the US or the UK. So in your case you have to compare the UK price (including VAT) to the US price plus 20% VAT. The price differential between the two countries still holds. You would be paying a lot more than the UK price if you bought your 5270p from the US and imported it in. Similarly a US buyer would pay a lot less if he bought the 5270p in the UK and took it back to the US rather than buy the watch in the US itself.

I think the point you are making is how much a UK domiciled buyer pays versus a US buyer in their respective markets. Yes, the tax in the UK is a much higher burden.
Old 19 January 2020, 12:52 PM   #59
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Maybe in Uk its different than everywhere else in the World. They got special rules. I feel like the UK works off a different secret code.

Danestaff use to bake cakes to move up the list
I am willing to bake anyhting to get a 5740
Old 19 January 2020, 02:06 PM   #60
martinr
"TRF" Member

USA prices on the patek website are always without tax. Sales tax varies by county. 9.5 % from my AD but 7.75 % where I live. Some states don’t have sales tax. Ship it there and avoid the tax, not really legal but it’s done all the time.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote