The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 December 2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Mamash Tov
"TRF" Member

1950s Rolex OYSTER PERPETUAL 6532 DEEPSEA

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if the Vintage 1950s Rolex OYSTER PERPETUAL 6532 Origionally had DEEPSEA on the dial and if so what year did they start putting it on.
Also what year did they start putting
SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED.

Merry Christmas
Mamash Tov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 06:44 AM   #2
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Might have more luck posting this in the Vintage Rolex subforum.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 07:00 AM   #3
franksremote

Watch: IWC DaVinci 3750
I have one that's in original trim including the original receipt from its purchase (can you believe they sold for $125 originally?), but haven't found a whole lot of info on it either. No rotating or "timing" bezel, and no crown guards, just looks like an Explorer type with DeepSea printed on the dial.

I've left the dial in original trim although I think it'd look great if it was restored, but think it would hurt it's value. Any info on the model would be greatly appreciated by me as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6532 Deep Sea + SD.jpg (103.8 KB, 484 views)
franksremote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 08:20 AM   #4
franksremote

I should say that I know it's a 1030 movement. was originally sold in '62 to a Doctor in Canada for $147.50 (it was on sale lol) including sales tax, from a department store type outfit and still runs great. I saw what was supposed to be an original one in excellent condition with a rivet expansion bracelet on Ebay a whiles back for $7700 although that one did not have paperwork or boxes either. It's a neat piece and far as I can tell pretty rare as I've only seem two or three examples on the net.

Happy Holidays!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6532 Close Up.jpg (97.4 KB, 466 views)
Old 24 December 2010, 08:49 PM   #5
Mamash Tov
"TRF" Member

Hi Frank very nice, has your one got the BIG LOGO on the bracelet, the bracelet are selling for big money now.

Have you a photo of the box by any chance.?

I just sold a 1958 DEEPSEA on ebay but the dial had been redone and it didn`t have a bracelet item number 110607550892 it made £2400.GB

I have 2 more in stock one is 1954 with U.S. bracelet, and the other is 1958 this one has a bad dial and no bracelet yet.

Now you know why I need to know about the dial tex.

Many thanks and a happy Christmas to you and the family!
Old 25 December 2010, 09:04 PM   #6
franksremote

Wow, you've got (had) three of 'em?!?!? I've only seen two other examples and haven't seen any reference to them in most of the info available on the 'net. Glad to hear that there was actually a model released with these markings even without the now standard crown and bezel. Unfortunately, I don't have the original box, only the original sales receipt (it sold for $77.25 = $75 for the watch and $2.25 for tax), store issued COA/Warranty paper and the watch itself. It's one of the few watches I have without the complete box set and paperwork package. Yours looks GREAT with the redone dial, do you think it would have been worth more if left in original trim regardless of its condition?

I had a feeling it was worth a decent amount of money, but wasn't positive as there were a lack of examples to compare it with online; it may be that it was said to be a Candian model only and not originally sold in the US. A friend of my watchmaker's did offer me a tidy sum for it a whiles back and that just led me to believe it was worth a bit more than he wanted although I'm pretty surprised that they're sought after. I guess folks like the 1030 movement and honeycomb dials with dagger hands from this period. ;)

I don't have the big logo bracelet. Mine's a rivet folded link Oyster style with a "standard' Rolex marking at the fold overs of the clasp. The endpieces are marked "61" and on one of the fold overs, the Rolex marking, "4" and below it "62" on the right hand side. The opposing side is the mirror image of the "Rolex" with the oriented image on the flip side and "Patented & Registered" + below it "Swiss Made" and on the right side of the "Rolex", "Steelinox". It's also shiny on the back side of the links while the outside is a matte finish. The sides are also polished highlighting the rivets. I'll try and get a pic or two up in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the link to your auction, great pictures and even better to see the selling price. Did you purchase yours for the $75 or so in the 50's-60's or are they later acquisitions? Any other info you might have would be great. Happy Holidays!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6532 Deep Sea Collage.jpg (32.0 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by franksremote; 25 December 2010 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Added Pic
Old 25 December 2010, 09:31 PM   #7
franksremote

*** Correction ***

I just looked closer at the pics of the receipt and the watch was $77.25 when it originally sold in '62 ($75 for the watch and $2.25 in sales tax). You could have bought 2 for the $147 price I listed in an earlier post.
Old 25 December 2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Mamash Tov
"TRF" Member

The Candians do have some nice early Rolex Explorers, 2 of mine came from Canada aswell, the other one came from the uk.

I really like the flat sided case which makes them stand out from other vintage rolex`s, also this early 1950s Explorer dial is stunning , I also have a mint early Airking with the same dial and hands.

I think Your watch has a replacement 1962 bracelet, I would try and buy the right 1956 bracelet if i was you, buy another 1956 rolex and swop bracelets.

The DEEPSEA watch I sold was restored in Canada not by me, It shouldn`t have SUPERLATIVE CHRONOMETER OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED, on the dial really.

Happy Holidays to you my friend.!

All the best keith