The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 3 November 2021, 04:14 AM   #121
rand8086
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajark View Post
Hello all. What discount to realistically shoot for as a new customer with no purchase history. I have my eyes set on a 3861 speedy with sapphire glass as my new daily watch. Thanks.
Personally I wouldn't do less than a 20% discount at an AD right now, even though the discount pre-covid was 30%, as that is possible but may require a few phone calls, but I'm sure others would be fine paying full price.
rand8086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2021, 05:49 AM   #122
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand8086 View Post
Personally I wouldn't do less than a 20% discount at an AD right now, even though the discount pre-covid was 30%, as that is possible but may require a few phone calls, but I'm sure others would be fine paying full price.
Are you a seller offering 20% discount?
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2021, 09:47 PM   #123
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Let's put it this way
If you're buying new Speedmaster 3861 or Diver 300m 2021 from AD (real AD which is mentioned on Omega website) or OB, with 5 years Omega warranty
You can get from 0 to 5% discount, 10% is almost unachievable.

All other options are fairy tales. People bought 1861, or from some gray dealer, or second hand, or it was years ago.

Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 01:29 AM   #124
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
Let's put it this way
If you're buying new Speedmaster 3861 or Diver 300m 2021 from AD (real AD which is mentioned on Omega website) or OB, with 5 years Omega warranty
You can get from 0 to 5% discount, 10% is almost unachievable.

All other options are fairy tales. People bought 1861, or from some gray dealer, or second hand, or it was years ago.

Well, glad my ADs aren't reading your fairy tale book! This year I got 20% off of a new leftover 1861 at one AD and 25% off a new Diver 300M at a different AD. These were both in New England.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 03:49 AM   #125
Gixnic
"TRF" Member

I bought a NOS 1861 from my local AD a month ago at 20% discount. Previously got 25% discount on two new Omegas I bought from them in earlier this year. She did mention that there are no discounts at all for the new models but 20% for the old stock.
Gixnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 08:35 PM   #126
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
Well, glad my ADs aren't reading your fairy tale book! This year I got 20% off of a new leftover 1861 at one AD and 25% off a new Diver 300M at a different AD. These were both in New England.
1861 is the old model with discounts ready available.
As for 300m I don't have personal experience with this model.
Old 4 November 2021, 08:38 PM   #127
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Discounts cheapen the brand in my opinion.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 09:06 PM   #128
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

100% in agreement. Asking for a discount and then being unhappy that the watch does not hold value is a lesson in irony.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2021, 11:26 PM   #129
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I tried to get discount on the 007 Seamaster from an AD with some history. Wouldn't drop a penny ... offered me the NATO strap if I purchased on bracelet. That's all
Old 5 November 2021, 12:32 AM   #130
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I couldn’t get a discount on my new blue dial Seamaster Diver 300M. I bought it anyway. This was about a month ago.

Last year I got $1000 off on a brand new Speedmaster Pro Sapphire Sandwich. This was last July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 01:34 AM   #131
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
I tried to get discount on the 007 Seamaster from an AD with some history. Wouldn't drop a penny ... offered me the NATO strap if I purchased on bracelet. That's all
is that a WoS store or local family business?

The former apparently doesn't even discount Cartier now.
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 01:37 AM   #132
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
1861 is the old model with discounts ready available.
As for 300m I don't have personal experience with this model.
So if you don't have experience with the 300m, how can you say there are no discounts available?

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2021, 02:11 AM   #133
rand8086
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Glad mine doesn't subscribe to that fairy tale either. Seems some people who paid full price want to discount the tales of folks who didn't.
Old 5 November 2021, 03:30 AM   #134
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke@TRF View Post
is that a WoS store or local family business?

The former apparently doesn't even discount Cartier now.

I went to every AD in Milton Keynes on a dead Tuesday morning including Fraser Hart ( have decent history). None would budge. But that was for a current ‘hot’ watch. … well Bond was just released anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 November 2021, 03:52 AM   #135
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Omega discounts STOPPING?

Quote:
So if you don't have experience with the 300m, how can you say there are no discounts available?

My bad
I have bought new 3861 Master Speedy and sometime was interested in NTTD Seamaster.
And what about your experience with 3861?
Old 5 November 2021, 07:55 AM   #136
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

They will still be inclined to discount the models that are not selling as well, unlikely to want to on in demand models.

I pushed for a discount on an 1861 recently, got something off but not as much as 20%. That’s acceptable as the price pre discount was already a grand less than the equivalent 3861.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2021, 11:55 AM   #137
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
I got a 20% discount on a new omega seamaster 300m diver ceramic/blue in January 2020. They also cut me a deal on a omega NATO strap (I assume they just ate the cost, because they had to order it direct). Big box/chain jeweler.

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2021, 12:21 PM   #138
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like the Tesla model (and I guess it’s unofficially the Rolex model too), where the price you see is the price you pay. Don’t like it? No problem, the item is not for you then. There will be someone else willing to pay full price. Really can’t imagine this model would stop any significant number of people from buying Omegas.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2021, 01:44 PM   #139
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
You know what cheapens the brand even more? Not getting discounts at the AD but finding them on the grey market instead. It's like the brand prefers to have relationships with second hand dealers rather than the end users who want to wear their products.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 02:04 PM   #140
LeftieUSA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
You know what cheapens the brand even more? Not getting discounts at the AD but finding them on the grey market instead. It's like the brand prefers to have relationships with second hand dealers rather than the end users who want to wear their products.
Couldn’t agree more. Why would I pay $6,300 full price plus local tax for a new 3861 at my boutique (told me not discounting them) when they’re selling used on grey and save about $700-$800.
LeftieUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 07:44 PM   #141
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Omega discounts STOPPING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftieUSA View Post
Couldn’t agree more. Why would I pay $6,300 full price plus local tax for a new 3861 at my boutique (told me not discounting them) when they’re selling used on grey and save about $700-$800.

Because you get warranty, that’s why.
Grey dealers own warranty is rubbish.
But it’s OK, $700 saved will definitely change your life.
Old 9 December 2021, 03:49 PM   #142
rand8086
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
I like the Tesla model (and I guess it’s unofficially the Rolex model too), where the price you see is the price you pay. Don’t like it? No problem, the item is not for you then. There will be someone else willing to pay full price. Really can’t imagine this model would stop any significant number of people from buying Omegas.
This model works very well when a brand either starts off that way from the beginning (Tesla) or is able to increase demand for their products to such a high level over time that their products are only really readily available on the grey market for multiple times the retail price, thus people are more than happy to pay the full retail price (Rolex).

The problem with Omega trying to do this almost overnight is that neither of those scenarios applies, and for those who've bought several pieces in the past few years from ADs for steep discounts like me, it's hard to accept the discounts suddenly going away just because the brand wants to move upmarket in their pricing and also get rid of ADs to control the price to prevent discounts.
Old 9 December 2021, 04:58 PM   #143
rand8086
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftieUSA View Post
A few years ago I bought a new PO for 40% off. I agree, it just wouldn't have made since to buy it from the boutique with zero discount.
Old 11 December 2021, 01:33 AM   #144
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
I agree with Brian that discounts cheapen brands, but…

Discounts = supply far exceeds demand.

You can’t move up market till you clean up your own house.

I bought my Seamaster with a 25% discount because I could. That watch’s intrinsic value at the point of purchase was what I bought it for, not what Omega thought it should be selling for.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 02:04 AM   #145
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because you get warranty, that’s why.
Grey dealers own warranty is rubbish.
But it’s OK, $700 saved will definitely change your life.
This is a common misconception. If you are buying an Omega at Costco then it is truly a gray market item, and yes, you don't get an Omega warranty. But if I walk into my AD and buy the watch, then turn right around and trade it to DavidSW for that Submariner I really wanted, and then you buy it from him, you still get the warranty. All that matters is that the original retail sale was at an AD. After that, no matter who sells it, it is never truly a "gray market" item. The same applies if I buy a 2 year old Porsche with 20k miles on it from "Joe's German Imports", a 3rd party car lot - it still has a factory warranty.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2021, 02:15 AM   #146
cblock406
"TRF" Member

Just to add context, I purchased a blue SMP300 a few weeks ago from an AD with a 15% discount.
cblock406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2021, 08:52 AM   #147
Jidonsu
"TRF" Member

Was able to pick up the sapphire 3861 Speedmaster for 10% off. The discount was unprompted.

I did also buy a 36 Datejust (blue dial, jubilee and fluted bezel) for my wife and my GMTII Pepsi from the same AD in the last two years.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400 | Rolex 114060 | Rolex 116710BLNR | Tudor Black Bay GMT | Tudor Pelagos Blue | IWC Mark XVIII Le Petit Prince |
Jidonsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 07:13 PM   #148
MorganDollar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
I think it depends on model. I got a 10% off Planet Ocean in an AD recently. No large discounts
MorganDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2021, 05:48 PM   #149
NativeTxn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
I’m in the market for a Speedy and/or a PO. I have an AD that I’ve used for years, and have always received a discount in Omega.

However, they were just acquired by a large company and I they have implied that that large company doesn’t really play the discount game much, or at least not to the extent of when they were privately owned, and half the time I was dealing directly with the owner.

That said, there are some like new/excellent condition options for both the speedy and PO out there right now at trusted sellers that could be as much as about $1,200 less than my AD as an all in price (assuming my AD charged MSRP).

I’ve always been willing to pay a bit more at the AD, but most of the excellent grades with the top trusted sellers look darn near brand new. So, if the AD can get me within about $500 or less, I’m more likely than not buying from them to keep it local, add to my history with them, etc.

So, when it’s time to actually purchase, I’ll basically tell them that and give them the chance to come down some to get into a range I’m okay with. If they can work it down into that $500 or less area, I’ll probably buy from them. But I just can’t justify a $1,000, or more, difference when the high graded options from trusted sellers are more than sufficient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NativeTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2021, 12:55 AM   #150
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have a great AD and they help me out with Grand Seiko/Seiko, Tudor, Panerai, Breitling and Hamilton. I don't ask for Rolex from them as they can not deliver at the rate I want to purchase and they act like they still own the watch once I buy it from them. Our Trusted Sellers are great and I am not giving anyone extra money because they are local or I have been a customer for years or whatever excuse they use that costs me more money. Many of our Trusted Sellers will also work on the listed prices and I have found if you call them up and have a discussion you can do a little better. I would do the Speedmaster and I have two right now and they get a lot of wrist time. I have owned several PO's and they are also great but prefer the Seamaster 300M. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote