The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2006, 08:18 AM   #1
morgman
"TRF" Member

Watches and defects

Maybe I'm just too much a perfectionist. But I'm wondering how many watches you guys have have flaws. And do the flaws bug you?

I've seen people excitedly post pics on other sites of their brand new Omega Planet Oceans, and the applied markers are off alignment. Do you guys care about that stuff, or do the flaws have to be pretty big in order to really annoy you?
morgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 08:22 AM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I don't really know if any of mine have flaws. I guess I'm not as anal as some people. There are some things I'm not overly crazy about with some of mine, but as far as manufacturing flaws go, all of mine seem to be well made and well finished. But then, a lot of mine are of the previously worn flavor, so I really don't look too closely at whether there are minutes scratches. Although none of them seem to have any of those, either.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 08:23 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

If I give it a ding or scratch, I really don't mind. But, if it arrived flawed, that would drive me crazy
Old 29 September 2006, 08:58 AM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

I guess it depends. On a new watch I'm not very forgiving about any cosmetic flaws--just shouldn't be. Slight scratches on a vintage piece I kind of figue were earned. Besides if I so desire I can have it polished.

Anything that affects the accuracy of the watch going outside of COSC specs needs addressed.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 09:52 AM   #5
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
If it takes 90 seconds for a minute to go by on the watch, it is a flaw.

If it has a little nick (dare I say "tick" mark!) here or there, it's a birthmark!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 05:48 PM   #6
jhnnyjr100

Watch: DJ turn o graph
Personally:

If it's something I do myself AND I absolutely do not see it 99% + of the time
when I happen to look in the vacinity of the imperfection,
I can live with it (especially if I can get it polished out).
If it's something I did and I notice it everytime I look at the watch...
I have to get it fixed.
If it's brand new with any kind of scratch (or imperfection such as morgman mentioned) ...RETURN.
I've returned louis vuitton wallets and key chains not to mention several ipods and a bike
due to various scratches and imperfections that I really thought should NOT be there considering what I was paying for them.
The brand new rolex looked about as close to perfection as anything could though.
Isn't their quality control excellent?
jhnnyjr100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 06:00 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
I noticed the minutest of flaws on my TT Blue YM and that really pissed me off. A small portion of the lumonova spilt over the YG surround on this circle dot at 1 o'clock.

New dial has come in and now the watch is up for sale!! "Virginity" gone - no longer want it!!

...and a close-up!!

...and yet another close-up!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 06:09 PM   #8
jhnnyjr100

Watch: DJ turn o graph
too bad JJ...but I really understand and agree that sometimes, depending on the situation and the person, it's best just to exchange it if you can or, if that's not possible, just 'get rid of it'.....
jhnnyjr100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 06:22 PM   #9
miner
"TRF" Member

If its a new Rolex I'd expect it to be perfect. The only blemishes I'd accept would be the ones I put on it.
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 06:23 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
If its a new Rolex I'd expect it to be perfect. The only blemishes I'd accept would be the ones I put on it.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 29 September 2006, 06:25 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Afraid its just a fact of life with so many watches, and all the individual parts to make up a watch.And the very small human contact with todays production,you will always get a small percentage of as you put flaws.But if not happy as with any product,be polite and ask to get it rectified.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 10:11 PM   #12
----

It depends on what you consider a defect/flaw. Are we talking about wear and tear, or defects straight from the manufacturer?

If it's wear and tear, on a new watch there should not be any (might seem obvious but it isn't always the case due to "handling" at the shop). On a used watch you can expect some, and the price will reflect the condition.

For real manufacturing defects (I think that is the intent of the OP) I would not accept anything that I could see with the naked eye for sure. I am not the type to study my watch with a 20X loupe as some here do, so there may be things on the dial that could be calssified as "defects" or "flaws" but if I can't see them I'm not too worried about them. I would have to say that all the high end watches I've owned have not had any such defects.

Now some of us are quite anal about these things. To be absolutely honest, I've looked at JJ's pictures and I simply can't see what the issue is he's referring to on his hour marker. So for me, it would not be something I would care about in the slightest. However, everyone deals with these things differently so if it bothers JJ (or more likely gives him an excuse to flip the watch) then that's his pergoative.
Old 29 September 2006, 10:29 PM   #13
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
I've owned quite a few Rolexes and been an owner since I was 12 thanks to my mom being a crazy WIS (been a wearer since I was about 17 though) and I have only had one defect EVER. Which was on my SS Daytona. Not a big deal since Rolex of Canada replaced the defective dial and gave me back the watch as good as new....actually better than new

The way I see it is stressing over the little things is a waste of time when the manufacturer is more than willing to stand by their product and make things right.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 10:55 PM   #14
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I noticed the minutest of flaws on my TT Blue YM and that really pissed me off. A small portion of the lumonova spilt over the YG surround on this circle dot at 1 o'clock.

New dial has come in and now the watch is up for sale!! "Virginity" gone - no longer want it!!

...and a close-up!!

...and yet another close-up!!!

Admit it, you sheepshagger. This microscopic "defect" was merely an excuse to flip the damned thing. You had it for almost a year (which in itself is some kind of record for you) so it was time to flip. You just needed an excuse.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 29 September 2006, 10:59 PM   #15
BogeyFree
"TRF" Member

Check out this glaring flaw. When I purchased this TOG at my local AD it arrived without the red Turn-O-Graph printing on the dial. Can you believe that? How could that possibly get through QC? They ordered me another one which was fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TOGPICT0003.jpg (58.3 KB, 104 views)
BogeyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2006, 11:05 PM   #16
Rockrolex

Good grief, BF. How could you even wear that POS on your wrist. No red marking!! Awful.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 30 September 2006, 12:09 AM   #17
Bill Spider
"TRF" Member

I’ve learned through experience to check the condition of everything I buy. There have been too many incidents to mention where had I not checked the condition of the item thoroughly, I would have been stuck with a defective product or had a hard time returning it because of damage.
I have a very low tolerance for shoddy workmanship whether it is on a Timex or a Rolex. I recommend that everybody examine their future Rolex’s for flaws, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as morgman can attest to.
Bill Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2006, 12:14 AM   #18
miner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyFree View Post
Check out this glaring flaw. When I purchased this TOG at my local AD it arrived without the red Turn-O-Graph printing on the dial. Can you believe that? How could that possibly get through QC? They ordered me another one which was fine.
Hang on, this is probably worth a fortune because it really is unique
miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2006, 12:29 AM   #19
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I know one-offs, or strange defects like these become collectible for other things, but not sure on watches. Who knows?

As for the Rolex watches I have ever owned, no flaws that I could see. I am also with the school of thought that if you can't see it with the naked eye, I will not worry about it.

It would have to be a pretty big flaw for me to get upset. But if it were flawed, I would demand a new one, if I bought new. Fixing something that is supposed to be new does not sit real well with me. But it would depend on the problem too.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2006, 05:34 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyFree View Post
WOW, BF...that certainly is a MAJOR!!

Old 30 September 2006, 05:44 AM   #21
morgman
"TRF" Member

I'm certainly cool with scratches and stuff that I put on the watch. That's wear & tear. Definitely don't like "internal defects" or ones that are manufacturing-looking ones.

My wife says you can *always* find defects if you look hard enough. I think she's probably right, although her Rolex looks damn near perfect to me!
morgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2006, 07:45 AM   #22
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
I'm certainly cool with scratches and stuff that I put on the watch. That's wear & tear. Definitely don't like "internal defects" or ones that are manufacturing-looking ones.

My wife says you can *always* find defects if you look hard enough. I think she's probably right, although her Rolex looks damn near perfect to me!
Now think about how great JJ's wife is. JJ has defects internally and externally, yet she hasn't sold or traded him in yet
Old 30 September 2006, 12:57 PM   #23
amanda
Banned

Quote:

WoW thats amazing... also amazing the AD didnt notice. I spose if you ever came to sell it that could prove tricky, might make most buyers suspicious!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2006, 01:01 PM   #24
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
Now think about how great JJ's wife is. JJ has defects internally and externally, yet she hasn't sold or traded him in yet
Zemina has tried The problem is she can't get anything for him.
Old 30 September 2006, 01:20 PM   #25
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I am with Ed on this one. All things will have flaws if you look hard enough. So I just don't look. If it is that noticable, I would get it fixed, otherwise I just enjoy my watches.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2006, 01:36 PM   #26
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I am with Ed on this one. All things will have flaws if you look hard enough. So I just don't look. If it is that noticable, I would get it fixed, otherwise I just enjoy my watches.

And I agree with myself, you don't need to look very hard to find the flaws in JJ
Old 30 September 2006, 01:38 PM   #27
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
And I agree with myself, you don't need to look very hard to find the flaws in JJ
A blind, deaf mute could spot the obvious ones from a mile away on him.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2006, 01:59 PM   #28
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
How the hell could I have left you off that list, you tosser?

Old 30 September 2006, 02:36 PM   #29
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
How the hell could I have left you off that list, you tosser?

my stunning good looks? maybe its my great taste in watches. OR it could be because I am not into sheep and leave them all for you
Old 30 September 2006, 02:42 PM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
my stunning good looks? maybe its my great taste in watches. OR it could be because I am not into sheep and leave them all for you