The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 September 2023, 11:54 PM   #31
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Yacht-Master is not the most popular model...maybe when they offer you a Daytona I will start to do handstands

That titanium Yacht-Master I will be interesting to see how popular that model is after 2 years...that is, if it is still around...

trying to deal with the image!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 01:35 AM   #32
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
The fact some are celebrating being offered a YM 2 tells me we are still in crazy times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 01:53 AM   #33
GotRolex
"TRF" Member

The tides are still the same

GotRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 02:16 AM   #34
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
When people stop buying any watch offered because it's a Rolex, the models that were less popular when the world was sane begin to reappear. We're at the far end of a long spectrum. Things have started to improve but there is a very long way to go.
I expect it to be the reverse of what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Until you can buy two Daytona, one of each color, by doing a walk in into a random shop while traveling, then I don’t call the situation normal.
That was never normal except for a little bit at the height of the Great Recession (for lack of a better term). Here's the spectrum I think we'll see them come back into cases for general sale (if that ever actually happens):

1. TT DJ and full PM models, especially DD 36s.
2. TT models, even some popular ones such as Subs. PM DD40's and Subs.
3. SS models, particularly DJ and less popular sports models such as YM and Air King. Maybe even some TT popular models such as Daytonas and GMT Masters.
3. SS models made in large quantities, such as Sub Dates. TT very popular models such as Daytonas and GMT Masters even more prevalent..
2. SS GMT Masters (economy probably getting pretty bad at this point)
1. SS Daytonas (economy very, very bad).

And you know the $hit has hit the fan when you walk in to your AD with brimming cases and they immediately say, "I have a Le Mans Daytona in the vault, would you like to see it?"
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 02:20 AM   #35
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post

That was never normal except for a little bit at the height of the Great Recession (for lack of a better term). Here's the spectrum I think we'll see them come back into cases for general sale (if that ever actually happens):

3. SS models, particularly DJ and less popular sports models such as YM and Air King. Maybe even some TT popular models such as Daytonas and GMT Masters.
3. SS models made in large quantities, such as Sub Dates. TT very popular models such as Daytonas and GMT Masters even more prevalent..

And you know the $hit has hit the fan when you walk in to your AD with brimming cases and they immediately say, "I have a Le Mans Daytona in the vault, would you like to see it?"

I agree with your sequencing, as that's exactly how it used to be.

With one caveat....I think PM DD40 and Daytona has gained traction in the last few years and will be more popular than before. Discounts were easy to obtain on them in say 2017 or so, but I see them holding value/being more in demand than before. A lot of people that never owned a PM watch before, has now sprung for one in the last few years whether because it was easier to obtain from AD or because the grey prices were so close to SS. but now that they've experienced the heft, they enjoy it.

Just my 2c anyways
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 02:24 AM   #36
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Until you can buy two Daytona, one of each color, by doing a walk in into a random shop while traveling, then I don’t call the situation normal.
Normal as in has not been the situation for decades?

The above scenario is not normal. It would be like being able to purchase a halo Ferrari without having a fleet already (hasn’t been the case since halo Ferraris were being made).
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 02:28 AM   #37
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The Daytona scenario won’t happen. Why? Because enough stable wealth exists to maintain demand even in a 2009 type recession AND the prior market highs will have people “buying the dip.”

You would need something even worse than 2009 and that would be full on depression scenario.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 03:45 AM   #38
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Quote:

Well we reached the first 3rd point here already. I just cameback from the OB and took some pics of the Sport stuff, nothing is Display or Exhibition only, everything is for sale. The 4 display cases for the DJ and DD are literally full with SS, TT and PM for both men and ladies. The Tudor case was full as well with everything, even the new red/jubilee and panda etc. Also, forgot to add that they will discount most of the non sport PM and TT stuff up to 10%, more than 10% on the TT DJ as they are packed full with them, and 5% on the Sport PM and TT.

Some of the stuff that are for sale in the pics that used to be waitlisted before,
1. SS SeaDweller
2. TT SeaDweller x2
3. TT Exp36 x2
4. WG Sub x2
5. YG Sub blue dial
6. YG Sub black dial
7. WG 42mm YM
8. YG 42mm YM
9. TT YM2
10. YG YM2
11. SS Black OP 41
12. SS Silver OP 41
13. SS Exp 36mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0259.jpeg (113.4 KB, 691 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0260.jpeg (103.2 KB, 687 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0261.jpeg (94.1 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0262.jpeg (98.8 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0263.jpeg (86.8 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0264.jpeg (85.3 KB, 679 views)
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 04:27 AM   #39
MarioB83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexBHR View Post
Well we reached the first 3rd point here already. I just cameback from the OB and took some pics of the Sport stuff, nothing is Display or Exhibition only, everything is for sale. The 4 display cases for the DJ and DD are literally full with SS, TT and PM for both men and ladies. The Tudor case was full as well with everything, even the new red/jubilee and panda etc. Also, forgot to add that they will discount most of the non sport PM and TT stuff up to 10%, more than 10% on the TT DJ as they are packed full with them, and 5% on the Sport PM and TT.

Some of the stuff that are for sale in the pics that used to be waitlisted before,
1. SS SeaDweller
2. TT SeaDweller x2
3. TT Exp36 x2
4. WG Sub x2
5. YG Sub blue dial
6. YG Sub black dial
7. WG 42mm YM
8. YG 42mm YM
9. TT YM2
10. YG YM2
11. SS Black OP 41
12. SS Silver OP 41
13. SS Exp 36mm
Man, That’s insane! Is this Saudi?
MarioB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 04:31 AM   #40
Podmornica
Banned

Quote:

1. SS SeaDweller
2. TT SeaDweller x2
3. TT Exp36 x2
4. WG Sub x2
5. YG Sub blue dial
6. YG Sub black dial
7. WG 42mm YM
8. YG 42mm YM
9. TT YM2
10. YG YM2
11. SS Black OP 41
12. SS Silver OP 41
13. SS Exp 36mm
Great to hear .. The AD will soon start to compete with the grey dealers regarding the discount. It was always a norm to receive 15% discount on DD at your local AD. Those times are approaching fast.

Does this AD offered any discount for YG DD ?
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 06:11 AM   #41
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Still hoi toide where I live, but I'm ready for a change.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 08:06 AM   #42
zab
"TRF" Member

Isn’t Saudi one of the countries where AD’s sell new watches at Grey market prices?
This could explain the availability.
zab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 08:25 AM   #43
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidyanne View Post
Those are models most never asked for or care about. Theyre like the red-haired stepchildren of Rolex!!!!

I have a weakness for red headed women

Old 10 September 2023, 09:19 AM   #44
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

Very nice to see all of those watches in the case. Hopefully we will see more of this. Thanks for posting
T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 09:31 AM   #45
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When were both available as a walk in purchase.?
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 10:33 AM   #46
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Neither are considered mass market hot watches. But if you like them, that’s all that matters.
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 10:48 AM   #47
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

That wouldn’t be “situation normal”.
That would be “global depression”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 11:44 AM   #48
Marc1310
"TRF" Member

Most PM has been available
Marc1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 02:32 PM   #49
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
The Daytona scenario won’t happen. Why? Because enough stable wealth exists to maintain demand even in a 2009 type recession AND the prior market highs will have people “buying the dip.”

You would need something even worse than 2009 and that would be full on depression scenario.
Le Mans Daytona? I agree. Regular Daytona maybe. I walked into my AD for the first time in 2010, 2011 or thereabouts and was offered a SS Daytona out of the vault as soon as the word "Rolex" crossed my lips.

Quote:

1. SS SeaDweller
2. TT SeaDweller x2
3. TT Exp36 x2
4. WG Sub x2
5. YG Sub blue dial
6. YG Sub black dial
7. WG 42mm YM
8. YG 42mm YM
9. TT YM2
10. YG YM2
11. SS Black OP 41
12. SS Silver OP 41
13. SS Exp 36mm
We haven't even reached stage 1 of my list at my AD in the middle of the United States.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 03:51 PM   #50
Poe400
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeromeo View Post
I agree and disagree.

I think walking as a tourist in to a foreign AD and being offered anything is massive progress

If it had bee a SS YM2 I'd have probably had it. The 44 size suites me
I walked into Gandlemans in Aruba while on vacation and walked out with a 136660 Black face Deep Sea. It was being put in the case while I was there.
Poe400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 05:42 PM   #51
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Unsurprising reactions on this forum concerning the YachtMaster II. Whether before, during or after the global automatic watch craze the mighty YM II still conjures disdain.

The main reason I have the WG in my collection
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 09:42 PM   #52
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioB83 View Post
Man, That’s insane! Is this Saudi?
No, I was visiting Bahrain over the weekend, but kinda similar situation in Saudi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
Does this AD offered any discount for YG DD ?
If its a hot model then no, if its a non moving model then yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zab View Post
Isn’t Saudi one of the countries where AD’s sell new watches at Grey market prices?
This could explain the availability.
This was the situation in the middle east in general before, but Rolex has recently put the prices for each middle eastern country separately on the website so the OBs have to adhere to them now. But generally watches are 5-10% more expensive here then in Europe because of the import duty etc, but as an expat you can claim VAT at the airport before exiting.
Old 10 September 2023, 10:04 PM   #53
Danzi
"TRF" Member

will the PM Daytona be available for walk in soon? :D
Danzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 11:53 PM   #54
Inthesticks
"TRF" Member

YM2 used to be sitting on the shelf of every AD, even after Covid started. You'd have a few iced out Datejusts and a YM2.

It must have been the last to become unobtainable, so it wouldnt surprise me if its the first to start showing back up in inventory.
Inthesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 12:00 AM   #55
Gert
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, TT SubC LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
The fact some are celebrating being offered a YM 2 tells me we are still in crazy times.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 12:10 AM   #56
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
YM2 on YG is a chonky boi. I tried it on one time and it was just massive.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 02:03 AM   #57
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzi View Post
will the PM Daytona be available for walk in soon? :D
I think TT is possible.
Old 11 September 2023, 02:05 AM   #58
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Only a sign that the OP was offered a less than popular watch from an AD. Good for him but not an indicator of the market.
+1

Those pieces even during the ultimate hype last year were still available at display in some stores
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 08:29 AM   #59
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In your situation that is a bit abnormal. Who would walk into an AD to buy two daytona?
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2023, 10:51 AM   #60
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

All for sale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0312.jpg (236.2 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0313.jpg (250.3 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0314.jpg (236.1 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0315.jpg (254.0 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0316.jpg (239.5 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0317.jpg (236.0 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0319.jpg (271.5 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0320.jpg (262.6 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0322.jpg (255.5 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0323.jpg (271.9 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0324.jpg (237.0 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0325.jpg (247.1 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0327.jpg (286.3 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0328.jpg (206.0 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0329.jpg (245.6 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0330.jpg (258.0 KB, 354 views)