The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 April 2017, 09:09 PM   #1
kim chandler
"TRF" Member

Misleading Rolex Sale

Hi all
I need some advice and wonder if you could help. My partner brought me a rolex at christmas from Frazer Hart jewellers. He told me that the man in the shop said it was the latest model that rolex had launched as the 26mm was being discontinued. I looked through the receipt and documentation from rolex and never came across anything to state that it was the 28 Datejust. I went back to the shop and asked the assistant which model I had, the assistant told me that it was the 28 Datejust. I asked to try the next size up and he brought me the 31mm which was too big for my wrist. He told me that in Asia the 31mm is the mans size watch. I agreed that I was happy with the 28mm he went to another room to remove parts of the strap to fit my wrist. Upon leaving the shop I looked in the window and saw the 26mm, 28mm and 31mm together and it confirmed that I had chosen the right watch for me the 28mm. So for four months I thought I had the 28mm until I saw an old friend yesterday who had the same watch as me. She said she had it for 20 years. My heart sank because it was the exactly the same size as mine. I found a ruler in the house and it was confirmed the watch I was wearing was 26mm. We paid £7900 for this watch and I feel that Frazer Hart have been misleading with their description of the watch to my partner and myself. Why wasn't the 28 datejust documented anywhere? it wasn't on the receipt or any offical documents from Rolex. This purchase was a once in a life time gift. Can anyone provide advise as to whether the model type should have been documented anywhere and if jewellers have a trading standards body that I can approach. Many Thanks
kim chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 09:16 PM   #2
JohnLT
"TRF" Member

Watch: time fly
If you are happy with the size whats the problem? Rolex does not state on paper work dimensions of any watch. Dealers should know the product they are selling but salesmen are not always well informed. Wear it and enjoy. It will last a lifetime.
JohnLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 09:19 PM   #3
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like another example of a salesperson not knowing his product.
It appears you bought the watch BNIB, on the warranty card is the model number.
You might have just googled that info and received your answer.
After wearing it for 4 months I doubt the retailer will assist in any way.
You also say you like the size and fit on your wrist, so what is the problem?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 09:20 PM   #4
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim chandler View Post
Hi all
I need some advice and wonder if you could help. My partner brought me a rolex at christmas from Frazer Hart jewellers. He told me that the man in the shop said it was the latest model that rolex had launched as the 26mm was being discontinued. I looked through the receipt and documentation from rolex and never came across anything to state that it was the 28 Datejust. I went back to the shop and asked the assistant which model I had, the assistant told me that it was the 28 Datejust. I asked to try the next size up and he brought me the 31mm which was too big for my wrist. He told me that in Asia the 31mm is the mans size watch. I agreed that I was happy with the 28mm he went to another room to remove parts of the strap to fit my wrist. Upon leaving the shop I looked in the window and saw the 26mm, 28mm and 31mm together and it confirmed that I had chosen the right watch for me the 28mm. So for four months I thought I had the 28mm until I saw an old friend yesterday who had the same watch as me. She said she had it for 20 years. My heart sank because it was the exactly the same size as mine. I found a ruler in the house and it was confirmed the watch I was wearing was 26mm. We paid £7900 for this watch and I feel that Frazer Hart have been misleading with their description of the watch to my partner and myself. Why wasn't the 28 datejust documented anywhere? it wasn't on the receipt or any offical documents from Rolex. This purchase was a once in a life time gift. Can anyone provide advise as to whether the model type should have been documented anywhere and if jewellers have a trading standards body that I can approach. Many Thanks

28mm DateJust have started his carreer 2 years ago at Basel 2015, with only gold and platinum models.
During Basel 2016 last year, rolesor yellow and rose gold were added.

This year the line have been completed with full Steel and rolesor white gold models.

What is the model number of yours ? (you can find it on the credit card format warranty you got with the watch). It should be 279xxx for a 28mm , or 179xxx for a 26mm DJ.
Alpino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 10:14 PM   #5
kim chandler
"TRF" Member

Hi it does say 179 which confirms 26mm. Thank you for replying stating that Rolex do not put the measurements on. The problem is I feel mislead I don't want a watch that has been discontinued. I only know that because the salesman told my partner that the watch he had purchased is the bigger face size. I feel that somewhere they have been dishonest and they knew what they were doing when we didn't have a clue and trusted them.
Old 23 April 2017, 10:39 PM   #6
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
It's disappointing that the salesperson was so misinformed. However, what matters is that the watch is the right size for your wrist. You seem to indicate that it is. The fact that it's discontinued should have no bearing on things. Rolex will service your watch basically forever. Models get discontinued and updated all the time. Many Rolex collectors seek out discontinued models. If you like the watch, be happy. If, however, you think the 28 would be better on you then you should speak with the manager and explain the situation and see what they say.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 10:40 PM   #7
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
It's certainly not the first time someone is being told rubbish by a salesperson !!
On the other hand, I understand your concern : I recently bought the exact same model as yours for my girlfriend, and after getting home and looking more closely to the serial # and clasp code, I realized that the watch was NOS (new old stock), i.e. It's dating back to 2007...
I have no doubt it's new, but it's definitely not recent ! I got a sweet deal on it, so I don't mind, and my GF probably wouldn't be giving a damn, but still. I would have liked them to tell me that it's been sitting in their store for quite a while.

Old 23 April 2017, 10:53 PM   #8
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
He brought me the 31mm which was too big for my wrist. He told me that in Asia the 31mm is the mans size watch
Technically speaking in Asia that's called a Boy Size /midsize / ladies size watch. Just remind the Salesman that Asian Men & Women have grown taller over the past 100 years with the average mean height increase of 16.0 cm and 8.0 cm respectively

I deal with the Malaysian public on a daily basis and haven't actually met any generation of males wearing a 31 mm size watch...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 11:05 PM   #9
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Hi it does say 179 which confirms 26mm. Thank you for replying stating that Rolex do not put the measurements on. The problem is I feel mislead I don't want a watch that has been discontinued. I only know that because the salesman told my partner that the watch he had purchased is the bigger face size. I feel that somewhere they have been dishonest and they knew what they were doing when we didn't have a clue and trusted them.
And there's the issue right there. It has nothing to do with the size of your watch; if you remained unaware that yours was a 26mm then you'd have stayed happy. Thing is, anything you buy is going to be discontinued at some stage, except maybe Levi 501s.

If you're THAT unhappy, trade it in and get a 28mm. If you say you were happy with the 26mm and that the 31mm is too big, I really don't see how 2mm is going to make that much of a difference to your life other than knowing it's the latest model.

Your watch is a classic, has a five yeas warranty and if you service it every ten years it'll last longer than you.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 12:10 AM   #10
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
All three of my watches are discontinued. It's not an issue for Rolex or other watch enthusiasts. Some people prefer discontinued models.

The only issue in my mind is whether there was a price difference between the 26 and the 28, and the salesman billed your partner at the 28 pricing. Your partner can check his receipt to ensure he paid for a 26.

Otherwise, you loved the watch a couple weeks ago, so where has the love gone? It's the same watch. Either love what you have or trade up for a different size.

FWIW, 31 is a very popular ladies size. I've not seen one on any woman that looked too big. It would look tiny on all but the most petit men and I've not heard it referred to as a man's watch anywhere (it's listed on the Rolex website as a ladies watch).
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 12:17 AM   #11
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I'd certainly not call 31mm boys or men size.

My wife is small and slim and has a 35mm midsize Yacht Master. It looks perfect on her and she's recently said she would wear even slightly bigger.

I'd definitely go back and Take it up with Fraser Hart but I'm doubtful you'll get far 4 months later. It will be "he said" and "she said"
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 12:37 AM   #12
kim chandler
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your replies. They have been most helpful and given me food for thought. With regards to the price it was £7900 jubilee bracelet, champagne face with 10 diamonds in the face - a classic. How can I check that this was the correct price for the 26mm and that I wasn't billed for the 28 as suggested. Model number is 179173
Old 24 April 2017, 12:56 AM   #13
harvey
"TRF" Member

Kim this one?

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/D...dy/179173/2503
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 12:57 AM   #14
OgSnowflake
Banned

If the watch was a gift from your partner why do you care so much how much it costs? Just wear it and forget about if it's the latest and greatest and the 2mm.
OgSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 01:02 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's frustrating but all salespeople have different levels of knowledge and dare I say integrity. I have been in a FH where the salesgirl was not allowed to show me the Rolexes because she is so new, so it is best on such a big purchase to do your online homework first, and Rolex has a website with all the models. If the watch feels good on your wrist then I would just stay with it, the fact that it is disco-ed wouldn't matter to me, happens to most watches eventually.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 01:11 AM   #16
harvey
"TRF" Member

...i think the concern is Kim has been charged 28mm money for 26mm watch.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 01:13 AM   #17
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Are you unhappy about the actual 2mm difference or that the AD didn't know what they were talking about?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 01:17 AM   #18
Ragna
Banned

Misleading Rolex Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgSnowflake View Post
If the watch was a gift from your partner why do you care so much how much it costs?

???

Well.. i think she cares for her partner.
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 01:17 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
This is legitimate, but Rolex did have a 10% price rise in Oct so they might have added this to a disco-ed model they still had in stock. Still would be good to know all the retail prices so we can work this out.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 01:30 AM   #20
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
This is legitimate, but Rolex did have a 10% price rise in Oct so they might have added this to a disco-ed model they still had in stock. Still would be good to know all the retail prices so we can work this out.
What does the Rolex UK website have as the 28mm price? The US site is showing $11,100 for the 279173 champagne diamond dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex451GH5XH.jpg (35.3 KB, 1879 views)
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 01:47 AM   #21
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Exactly. I have been looking recently to purchase a watch for my mom. My experience is that you can get quite a considerable discount on a 26mm. Not sure if a 28mm would be equally discounted (personally I could hardly tell a difference between 26 & 28). If not, she may have paid more $ for a 28mm that was really a 26mm. Personally, I went 31mm. Think it's a great size for a lady.
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 03:25 AM   #22
moonson
"TRF" Member

I would argue that having something in the luxury market that is end of life is only going to benefit you. As eventually any new old stock dealers have will stop and only the people who have the Watch will have it.

Let's face it we're not talking about electronics or a market that moves quickly anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
moonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 05:03 AM   #23
kim chandler
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your replies especially Ragna and Harvey. I will take a look on watchfinder. I have an appointment with the manager at FH don't know if I will get anywhere but I intend to give him a bloody good piece of my mind. He knew what he was doing when he sold it!
Old 24 April 2017, 05:43 AM   #24
mash_taylor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710, 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
What does the Rolex UK website have as the 28mm price? The US site is showing $11,100 for the 279173 champagne diamond dial.
£8200 on UK site.
mash_taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 05:47 AM   #25
kim chandler
"TRF" Member

Thank you mash taylor
Old 24 April 2017, 05:50 AM   #26
kim chandler
"TRF" Member

Harvey yes it is the exact model you have on the link. So I have been overcharged
Old 24 April 2017, 05:54 AM   #27
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies especially Ragna and Harvey. I will take a look on watchfinder. I have an appointment with the manager at FH don't know if I will get anywhere but I intend to give him a bloody good piece of my mind. He knew what he was doing when he sold it!
Out of interest Kim what are you hoping he will do?

I bought my partner the same watch (an older one) and she loves it to bits.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 06:34 AM   #28
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Harvey yes it is the exact model you have on the link. So I have been overcharged
You don't have been overcharged.

7100£ was the MSRP for 26mm 179173 on jubilee and 10 diamonds dial before last price increase in UK. This price increase occured last november, and was between 9,5% and 11,5% depending on models.

7900£ compared to 7100£ is 11,3% , seems normal.

The same DJ in 28mm MSRP is 8200£ , not 7900£

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sans titre.jpg (74.3 KB, 1610 views)
Alpino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 06:58 AM   #29
kim chandler
"TRF" Member

Vivalas

I want to tell him that he had mislead my partner informing him that the watch he had purchased was the latest model, a bigger face because the 26mm had been discountinued. That was exactly the information my partner told me when I opened the box he would have never know what without the salesman pitch. Also when I went back to the shop I asked for the next size up to try and he brought me the 31mm when I have the 26mm. Surely he should have brought me the 28mm to try. Something isn't adding up?
Old 24 April 2017, 07:08 AM   #30
Haywood_Milton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Military issue Sub
The 26mm 179173 is still in the current UK price list and (with a Jubilee bracelet and diamond dial) its RRP is £7,900.

The 28mm watches may be replacing them, but many in the trade (including ADs) feel that their thinner Jubilee bracelet is not as good as the chunkier 63133 which was fitted on the 179173.

I believe that Fraser Hart are members of the National Association of Jewellers, whose contact details I can provide if you cannot find them yourself....but if I were advising a friend or member of my own family I would in fact be steering them to the 26mm model as the better of the two models, specifically because of the bracelet.

Haywood Milton, UK
*Comex:5513,5514,1665x2,16800x2,16600 *Mil sub:5517x2,5513x9,5512 *Submariner:6536/1x2,5508,5513 PCG u/line & double SWISS (America's Cup),5513 giltx2, 5513 m-firstx2,5513 gloss WGx2,1680 Red,1680 White Mk1 & Mk2 *Sea-Dweller:1665 DRSDx3,Great Whitex3 *GMT-Master:6542x2 (1 Bakelite),1675x8 (2 gilt), 16750 & SeaKing 116710LN *Explorer:1016x6 (1 gilt),5500x3,14270 Blackout, Orange 1655 x4 *Milgauss 1019x3 *Cosmo 6263 *RNCD DSSD 116660.
Haywood_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote