The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2017, 01:33 AM   #1
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

The SDc4000 is getting more attention than ever!

It seems that the SDc 4000 has a major buzz right now. Nobody was looking for one a few months ago and now everyone is on the hunt. Hmmm interesting.
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:37 AM   #2
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
It's all about supply and demand and the fact that it's discontinued now.

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
SWISSAHOLICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:39 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
ah, the Soap Opera strategy.

kill a popular character, get ratings, bring them back from the dead with a moustache or english accent. repeat during sweeps.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:43 AM   #4
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
I think it has always been a favorite on this forum. A WIS will always appreciate this watch, a guy looking to wear a "$10,000 Steal Diver" probably wants to make a little more noise.
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:43 AM   #5
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I posted in another thread that my AD in Red Bank NJ, Leonardo's, has one left. Michael or Sue is great to work with.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:50 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by myc ritz View Post
I think it has always been a favorite on this forum. A WIS will always appreciate this watch, a guy looking to wear a "$10,000 Steal Diver" probably wants to make a little more noise.
Don't be too tough on this one. The replacement is the same deal.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:51 AM   #7
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
ah, the Soap Opera strategy.

kill a popular character, get ratings, bring them back from the dead with a moustache or english accent. repeat during sweeps.
But SD4K was not really popular model and also a bit pricey. It is strange that just discontinuing it and people are calling it 'perfect' watch, 'modern classic', all kinds of adjectives which didn't existed 2 months back!

Personally, I tried it sometime back and I found 114060's fit perfect for my wrist and both looked too similar to keep together in collection. I would have preferred it over SubC Date but not over SubC(114060) and now I can't let go of my SubC, so not going to run behind SD4K just coz its discontinued.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:51 AM   #8
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
perhaps, not from me though.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:53 AM   #9
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

People were calling it perfect before Basel.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 01:58 AM   #10
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It's a great watch on its own merits, but there is definitely going to be a lot of hype around it now.
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 02:12 AM   #11
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

I'm happy it's getting the respect it deserves. You don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.
Old 19 April 2017, 03:14 AM   #12
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheez View Post
People were calling it perfect before Basel.

Very true.
Old 19 April 2017, 03:23 AM   #13
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
But SD4K was not really popular model and also a bit pricey. It is strange that just discontinuing it and people are calling it 'perfect' watch, 'modern classic', all kinds of adjectives which didn't existed 2 months back!

Personally, I tried it sometime back and I found 114060's fit perfect for my wrist and both looked too similar to keep together in collection. I would have preferred it over SubC Date but not over SubC(114060) and now I can't let go of my SubC, so not going to run behind SD4K just coz its discontinued.
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 03:37 AM   #14
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
OMG, people should rush to buy the old version before it is all gone.... it is not like there isn't any other watch like it in the Rolex line up!
[/sarcasm]

Pic below from a search on 'sd4k vs subc' that finds an old topic on this forum:

Being new around here, and no offense to old timers and die hard fans of SD4k on this forum... but I think the whole SD4K changing to a newer size and the old watch's increased demand now is more of a forum/WIS made demand than the general public (majority of Rolex buyers) out there.

But that is just me and my untrained eyes/mindset.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 03:43 AM   #15
arizonapaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: All 3 Sea-Dwellers
I love this watch, but if you care to review my old post here (July 2016), a week after 'learning' about this watch I bought it and absolutely love it. Kind of neat reading comments when it was still out there and not discontinued yet .

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=485729
Rolex TT Sub-
Rolex SD4000
Omega Ploprof 1200 m
Panerai 510
Panerai 785 set-NIB
Rolex Airking
arizonapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 04:14 AM   #16
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonapaul View Post
I love this watch, but if you care to review my old post here (July 2016), a week after 'learning' about this watch I bought it and absolutely love it. Kind of neat reading comments when it was still out there and not discontinued yet .

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=485729
Heh...posted in that thread in July right before I got my SD4k.. My opinion hasn't changed.

There are many reasons why the perfect diver didn't sell well. Not advertised as much as other models. Not many review articles on it. And to the average Joe schmoe it was more expensive yet looked similar to the sub c. And let's face it, no cyclops detracted many potential owners as it didn't give the Rolex signature cyclops look.

The sd4k was a niche watch cause it called for people who enjoyed the design cues of the pre 6 digit era. To THOSE people it did not look similar and it was worth the extra cash. Which in the end was a small group of people.

And now it's getting attention because people like exclusivity. They are jumping on the bandwagon for a classic in the making. But they are also realizing now that they have been missing out on Rolex's perfected diver this entire time.

phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 04:24 AM   #17
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Purely WIS demand, the new SD will sell much better than the 116600.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 04:24 AM   #18
arizonapaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: All 3 Sea-Dwellers
Quote:
Heh...posted in that thread in July right before I got my SD4k.. My opinion hasn't changed.

There are many reasons why the perfect diver didn't sell well. Not advertised as much as other models. Not many review articles on it. And to the average Joe schmoe it was more expensive yet looked similar to the sub c. And let's face it, no cyclops detracted many potential owners as it didn't give the Rolex signature cyclops look.

The sd4k was a niche watch cause it called for people who enjoyed the design cues of the pre 6 digit era. To THOSE people it did not look similar and it was worth the extra cash. Which in the end was a small group of people.

And now it's getting attention because people like exclusivity. They are jumping on the bandwagon for a classic in the making. But they are also realizing now that they have been missing out on Rolex's perfected diver this entire time.

Very well said, I agree with all points and again, I think the biggest reason it didn't sell well was because it was priced a few thousand dollars more than the Sub.
If the masses knew about grey market dealers and trusted sellers, they would
of sold way more in my humble opinion.
Rolex TT Sub-
Rolex SD4000
Omega Ploprof 1200 m
Panerai 510
Panerai 785 set-NIB
Rolex Airking
arizonapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 04:24 AM   #19
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Yep. Glad I realized this early when I was making my initial decisions on my second Rolex (diver) and picked up the SD4k. Spectacular watch and so damn comfortable.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 05:20 AM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Every Rolex seems to get hyped these days, I'd say Rolex are laughing all the way to the bank but they can't get in because the greys are packed inside already.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 05:33 AM   #21
snowcrash
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 DRSD Mk/4
I literally just today traded my recently acquired No-Date Sub 14080M for a NOS 2015 SDc 4000 which should be here tomorrow! I'm SO EXCITED!!! After all the research and finding every related video, picture and reference there is out there. I'm like a kid waiting for Xmas!

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved that Sub, but not having the date was a deal breaker for me. Thought I could live with it and sadly realized that I couldn't. Three major things that made me get the SDc is that I'm not a fan of the cyclops on the Sub Date and that I already have a vintage DRSD. I figured getting a pre-ceramic SD would be way too similar to my DRSD and that it's been on my bucket list for a while now.

Now the wait begins!!! I'm so excited. Initially I was eyeballing the SDc but something about that 2 line sub is just perfect. The symmetry is on point. I still think it's one of the nicest Rolex watches ever made. Really wish I could live with out a date. But even that being said in the back of my head I kept thinking "I really should have got that SDc" lol, and as of tomorrow I'll have it!!!
216570 Polar Explorer II
snowcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 05:48 AM   #22
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Purely WIS demand, the new SD will sell much better than the 116600.
I just spoke with some of my ADs and they said there's a long waiting list now for the new SD here in Vancouver. Not much of a demand for the old SD - one or two a month they said. I think some members here are just hyping the current SD because it has been discontinued.
rolexnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 05:57 AM   #23
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnub View Post
I just spoke with some of my ADs and they said there's a long waiting list now for the new SD here in Vancouver. Not much of a demand for the old SD - one or two a month they said. I think some members here are just hyping the current SD because it has been discontinued.

Lots of forum hype on this one....but the unchanged BID price from dealers on this model tell me otherwise...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 06:09 AM   #24
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
My unpopular opinion is the SD43 will finally put the SD in its own class it will no longer be just a fat SubC and I am looking forward to its arrival

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 06:12 AM   #25
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak797 View Post
every rolex seems to get hyped these days, i'd say rolex are laughing all the way to the bank but they can't get in because the greys are packed inside already.
x2
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 06:14 AM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvette View Post
My unpopular opinion is the SD43 will finally put the SD in its own class it will no longer be just a fat SubC and I am looking forward to its arrival
That's hilarious because the SD43 looks the part of a fat sub c.

Don't get me wrong I think they will sell hand over fist. I might buy one myself.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 06:31 AM   #27
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I am glad I purchased my SD 4000 but I also don't see actual street prices jumping significantly now that it is discontinued. Obviously I hope I'm wrong because I own one and I am also sure the new model will sell at list price and above for the foreseeable future. Of course I'm also the same person who sold his z serial Pepsi GMT seven years ago so I'm probably not the best one to ask.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 07:07 AM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
perhaps, not from me though.
x2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Every Rolex seems to get hyped these days, I'd say Rolex are laughing all the way to the bank but they can't get in because the greys are packed inside already.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 07:28 AM   #29
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
. . . It is strange that just discontinuing it and people are calling it 'perfect' watch, 'modern classic', all kinds of adjectives which didn't existed 2 months back! . . .
You're , right?

. . . right!?!

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2017, 08:29 PM   #30
nuno116600
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 Great White
I was luck to be able to by one.
The size is perfect, I love the ceramic dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1435.jpg (90.9 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1474.jpg (90.4 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1473.jpg (112.1 KB, 238 views)
nuno116600 is offline   Reply With Quote