The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 14 August 2012, 08:17 AM   #31
crs12
Banned

Watch: Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
watchfinder, don't get me started on these useless muppets. angry used car salesmen tactics, very very aggressive people
To be fair to them can you imagine how many calls they get a day and have to answer the same questions over and over from different people.

Not saying this excuses them and I have always believed if you don't like a job don't do it but sometimes its not always a bad attitude just them being tired/tedium.

I doubt you would find a large number of shops that please everyone all of the time.

People were complaining about Ernest Jones branches and Mappin and Webb.

Been into the Bond Street EJ and Regent Street M&W a few times and have always received exceptional service even when I have made it clear from the start I am not buying that day.
crs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2012, 08:20 AM   #32
R44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Watch Finder

Second Time Round

bunch of useless amateurs that sell over priced rubbish

do some google research and look on other UK forums and you'll know why you want to stay away from these clowns
Totally agree with every single word you have posted. I have had 2 experiences with Second Time Round and they both count as some
of the worst experiences I have had in my 15 year + interest in watches. I thought the first bad experience was an oversight / misjudgment on their behalf or I had caught them on a bad day, so I popped in for a look with a friend a year or so later to confirm they are complete cowboys who treat customers like idiots while being rude. No passion in the product and some of the worst condition over polished badly presented (not to mention dusty!) watches I have seen in London. I have dealt with lots of UK dealers and have even been happy to put up with Watchfinders take it or leave it slightly pushy young sales lads when they have had a piece I wanted (i'd say the Watchfinder guys are very keen to hit sales targets rather than rude - think charts on walls and office sales staff competition tele sales style).
R44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2012, 08:23 AM   #33
crs12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R44 View Post
have even been happy to put up with Watchfinders take it or leave it slightly pushy young sales lads when they have had a piece I wanted (i'd say the Watchfinder guys are very keen to hit sales targets rather than rude - think charts on walls and office sales staff competition tele sales style).
What do you want them to do when you buy a watch from them?

Granted its a high cost purchase but they are still a seller and you are still a buyer and as long as they are professional and honest then I dont feel they need to do anything else.

I have been speaking to them a fair bit and found they are happy to discuss stuff about stock but dont ask me what I did on the weekend :)
Old 14 August 2012, 08:34 AM   #34
R44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs12 View Post
What do you want them to do when you buy a watch from them?

Granted its a high cost purchase but they are still a seller and you are still a buyer and as long as they are professional and honest then I dont feel they need to do anything else.

I have been speaking to them a fair bit and found they are happy to discuss stuff about stock but dont ask me what I did on the weekend :)
I'm happy to buy on that basis and I've got no issue with Watchfinder. It's not a shop for an expert as you don't need to know much to know more than them! If I had to choose a UK dealer to buy a watch without seeing it I would use Blowers. I've purchased from them and found them a pleasure to deal with and in the unlikely event you are not happy with the watch when it arrives they have a no questions return policy. I don't need a shop to massage my ego.
R44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2012, 09:00 AM   #35
Harry Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyboat View Post
Looking to get a sub very soon in the UK. Looking at some places on the internet Dream Watches and Ian Blowers is there any where else that i can look apart from here on this forum.

Many thanks in advance

I'll say it again Tim, take a look at
http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/ Navigate through the site, you'll find loads of interesting watches. No pushy salesmen just one guy who knows his stuff and can usually get what you want if he doesn't have it himself. His prices are good and he's not a P***K, he'll work with you to do a deal. We all know the mainstream second hand car salesmen come watch sellers who keep being mentioned on this thread.
Do yourself a favour.
Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 05:30 AM   #36
BH13GMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn
Quote:
(i'd say the Watchfinder guys are very keen to hit sales targets rather than rude - think charts on walls and office sales staff competition tele sales style).
They probably have alec baldwin as their Sales Director enjoy the clip. There is Rolex mentioned too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCf46...e_gdata_player

Rolex Sub 1680, Rolex GMT 116710LN, Rolex Datejust 16220 Salmon Dial (the Mrs), Tudor BB58, Tudor Pelagos Blue and Several Seiko's
"last one in the chopper is a rotten egg" Jonathan Quayle Higgins III
BH13GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 05:42 AM   #37
grahamcoxon
"TRF" Member

Just giving a 2nd to Blowers.

Thoroughly excellent chaps and man do they keep some stock!
grahamcoxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 06:02 AM   #38
witch watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH13GMT View Post
They probably have alec baldwin as their Sales Director enjoy the clip. There is Rolex mentioned too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCf46...e_gdata_player
. Good post, great film.

On the Blowers front they are a tad overpriced imo but i guess that comes with location.
witch watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 06:53 AM   #39
crs12
Banned

Quote:
I'm happy to buy on that basis and I've got no issue with Watchfinder. It's not a shop for an expert as you don't need to know much to know more than them! If I had to choose a UK dealer to buy a watch without seeing it I would use Blowers. I've purchased from them and found them a pleasure to deal with and in the unlikely event you are not happy with the watch when it arrives they have a no questions return policy. I don't need a shop to massage my ego.
fair enough some people seem to get upset if sales people fawn over them in shops.

personally I hate that and prefer to ask questions if I need to do so.
Old 16 August 2012, 03:21 PM   #40
gazp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Ceramic Sub
Blowers are the best by a mile , Mark and Richard are a pleasure to deal with
gazp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 04:35 PM   #41
jay1988
"TRF" Member

Does any one have any experience with Watchclub ?

Their website is my favourite. It's updated regularly with high quality pictures. I've never been to Blowers but the picture quality on their site was off putting. It's really bad. They even manage to make a ceramic Sub look like it's got a matte bezel not a shiny one.

Also they list a large number of Panerais as having "mineral crystal case backs" when I know for sure they are sapphire crystal. It's not just a one time thing either they have been doing it ever since I've been looking at the site.
jay1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 04:49 PM   #42
The Waddler

Watch: GMT IIc
I bought my GMT from Second Time Round. My experience was positive although I agree that the old guy is a total wanker and made me constantly feel a pest even though I was a paying customer. However, I was served repeatedly by the younger chap with the glasses who was always very pleasant. I wouldn't say they were ever warm, they never made me feel special and clearly had no "love" for the product but I got a good price on a fantastic example (bnib but second hand) and for months previous to the purchase I'd been going in, trying stuff on and boring them with questions and had always been treated graciously.

I'd say that if you know what you want, don't romanticise the purchase and treat it purely as a cold business transaction then they are fine.

I had my GMT brushed for 30 quid by the rather posh store in Burlington Arcade (as you walk down to picadilly it's on the left near the end). They were absolutely lovely and even though I was just spending tuppence with them they made me feel like their most valued customer. I'd certainly buy from them.
The Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 05:31 PM   #43
mjrennie
Banned

Watch: 116618 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyboat View Post
Looking to get a sub very soon in the UK. Looking at some places on the internet Dream Watches and Ian Blowers is there any where else that i can look apart from here on this forum.

Many thanks in advance
Both expensive and not decent value, in my opinion. You can do a lot better. Do you have a good relationship with an AD? If so, a good discount could line up as much better value than 2nd hand. I got 20% or thereabout off a 14060M not too long ago. It is possible. Depends what you are after.

I've heard of some decent sellers in Manchester, Royal Exchange I think. Though I'm not familiar with them. TRF seems very good too, though you'd need to figure out importing, etc. but, it can be done, for sure, and there are many highly thought of sellers here. I would happily buy from them.
mjrennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2012, 05:56 PM   #44
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1988 View Post
Does any one have any experience with Watchclub ?

Their website is my favourite. It's updated regularly with high quality pictures. I've never been to Blowers but the picture quality on their site was off putting. It's really bad. They even manage to make a ceramic Sub look like it's got a matte bezel not a shiny one.

Also they list a large number of Panerais as having "mineral crystal case backs" when I know for sure they are sapphire crystal. It's not just a one time thing either they have been doing it ever since I've been looking at the site.
never bought from watch club, i always go past their shop when in W1

they're friendly enough but prices are frightening

the guy Dean there is one of the better watch guys in the area and i find him to be honest when questions are asked

great stock and they get most things in

think they mostly sell to tourists who don't look at the price
Old 17 August 2012, 07:38 PM   #45
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Bought my Sub-C LV from Watchfinder last year and I have to say I found them to be fine. Transaction was easy and I got a good price. That said, I knew what I wanted and didn't need advice or help and the office did have a very sales-oriented feel about it.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 08:22 PM   #46
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
Bought my Sub-C LV from Watchfinder last year and I have to say I found them to be fine. Transaction was easy and I got a good price. That said, I knew what I wanted and didn't need advice or help and the office did have a very sales-oriented feel about it.
Old 17 August 2012, 08:29 PM   #47
Chronos
"TRF" Member

I'd like to add Watchcentre on Bond Street. I've used them for over 10 years and bought a lot of watches from them. Rolex, APs, IWC, JLC etc. Their prices are fair, they dont pretend to be the cheapest but likewise they're not expensive compared to the market.
They've never been pushy with me and never done the hard sell hence I keep going back to them.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 08:41 PM   #48
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I'd like to add Watchcentre on Bond Street. I've used them for over 10 years and bought a lot of watches from them. Rolex, APs, IWC, JLC etc. Their prices are fair, they dont pretend to be the cheapest but likewise they're not expensive compared to the market.
They've never been pushy with me and never done the hard sell hence I keep going back to them.
good point, i've been to see the dude there a few times and he's honest and doesn't try to flog you crap
Old 17 August 2012, 08:45 PM   #49
crs12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Their prices are fair, they dont pretend to be the cheapest but likewise they're not expensive compared to the market.
As a bit of a newish Rolex buyer I would prefer to buy from somewhere like this as I am still not that confident.

If it costs a bit more for piece of mind then this is fine.

STR as people have said may be cheaper but I would be worried about buying from there due to the attitude they seem to have.
Old 17 August 2012, 09:27 PM   #50
Chronos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs12 View Post
As a bit of a newish Rolex buyer I would prefer to buy from somewhere like this as I am still not that confident.

If it costs a bit more for piece of mind then this is fine.

STR as people have said may be cheaper but I would be worried about buying from there due to the attitude they seem to have.
Buying from these guys I dont worry about the watches as I trust them 100% and I know the prices are reasonable so am not afraid of getting ripped off.They know that too hence they dont hard sell me as somebody else will buy it.
Of course there will be other places you can buy it for cheaper but as they say caveat emptor.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2012, 10:49 PM   #51
jerseyden
"TRF" Member

No matter where or when you buy, the following week you will always see the same model cheaper. That is not to say that it will be of the same quality.
jerseyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2012, 08:01 PM   #52
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
caution!

Be very wary of Armour Winston in Burlington Arcade! Bad experience there!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2012, 08:31 AM   #53
Arpinum

Bought from watchfinder.co.uk and returned watch as it was not as described. Won't bother with them again.

Tried to buy from secondtimeround but they never answered emails or replied to phone calls. Won't bother with them again.

Not bought from chronomaster.co.uk but have made a few enquiries about watches and been happy with responses. Would certainly consider chronomaster.

Some ADs have decent pre-owned watches at competitive prices, but it is a real pain to check as most don't put their stock online, and when you phone up there is usually a long wait while they go and check what they have in.
Arpinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2012, 09:46 PM   #54
psd1966
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex......
UK Sellers

I have purchased from both Dane @ Dream-Watches (many times), as well as The Watch Club in Old Bond Street and Watchfinder.

I would recommend Dream-Watches and The Watch Club very highly.

Dane particulalrly offers 1st class service, and the watches sold are as promised and advertised, in fist class condition, and whilst primarily an internet business, he now owns his own premises on the South Coast of UK should you wish to view - extremely reputable person who has been trading a long time now, and always my first port of call when looking for a new acquisition.

psd1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2012, 10:14 AM   #55
Ditch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Be very wary of Armour Winston in Burlington Arcade! Bad experience there!
I was considering a 114270 from Armour Winston as I found them the most polite & helpful in Burlington Arcade.

What was your bad experience?
Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2012, 10:27 AM   #56
Scunner
"TRF" Member

Watch: the Weather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I was considering a 114270 from Armour Winston as I found them the most polite & helpful in Burlington Arcade.

What was your bad experience?
I've seen a few complaints about them, Bad experiences aside, they are also expensive in comparison to many other dealers. I agree that Dane @ Dream-Watches is highly rated, my experiences in dealing with him have always been pleasant. Blowers are highly rated but I personally have never dealt with them. Mike Woods & Jed: Cant get any higher a reputation than these guys IMO. I purchased my MK I Red from Jed and he made it a pleasant painless affair. Answered all my lead up emails promptly and made the extra effort to complete the deal face to face, ensured I was 100% happy even though I had already transferred the funds, real gentlemen who deserves his well earned reputation.
Old 8 September 2012, 05:44 PM   #57
khyamboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16618
I Would recommend Dane Colletta from Dream Watches based in Fareham Hants.
I have bought from him, and he is a genuine professoinal trader who is passionate about Rolex.
khyamboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2012, 09:04 PM   #58
Mikehii
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Patek
www.bobwatches.com

US company but they will ship.
Mikehii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2012, 09:29 PM   #59
iain.cx

Watch: 16710
Disclaimer: The only place I've actually spent money with is Watchfinder. I have had some minor experience with some of the other businesses mentioned here.

Armour-Winston
They had a 114270 in very good condition. The salesman was polite and friendly and answered my questions about the watch to my satisfaction. I didn't buy because the price wasn't right. Later I went back to ask about an insurance valuation and though they couldn't provide one the (same) salesman was again polite and helpful.

Second Time Round
Had a 114270 for sale at a better price. When I inspected it I found a fairly noticeable crack in the crystal. The grumpy old bloke described above claimed that it was just dirty, despite the fact that I could fit a fingernail into the crack. He also had some other pieces which weren't too unfavourably priced but which he displayed little enthusiasm for anwering questions about.

On the plus side he offered to fix the bezel insert on my GMT. I'd taken it out to realign it but couldn't get it back in. Unfortunately he couldn't get it back in either.

Watch Club
Not cheap but polite and helpful. They showed me an IWC Pilot Chrono and Explorer 2 and didn't try to give me the hard sell. Also Justin there was able to fix my bezel insert at no charge. Tip of the hat to him.

Watchfinder
They had the 114270 at a good price. Very polite when I called up to ask about it. They offered to reserve it for me if I put down a fully refundable deposit so I did and then made an appointment to inspect and eventually buy the watch the following Saturday.

The watch was running quite fast. I eventually got the always excellent Russell Talerman to regulate it. He said that it looked as though it needed a service, which surprised me because part of the appeal of Watchfinder is that their pieces are supposed to come pre-serviced. I called Watchfinder and repeated what Russell told me. Fair play to them, they immediately apologised and offered a free service if I was still unsatisfied. Following the regulation the watch is running fine so it may just be that Russell's standards are higher than Watchfinder's. If I have any further problems I will take them up on their offer.

David Duggan
Could be the shop described by an earlier poster as "on the left near the end" of Burlington Arcade. I went in to ask about the insurance valuation and a regulation. The gentleman said that they would only provide valuations for pieces they had sold, which I suppose is fair enough. He also refused to regulate the 114270 on the basis that +8s per day was "within spec." That statement is not only wrong it's irrelevant. I left in a foul mood.
iain.cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2012, 10:04 PM   #60
RosscoStacks
"TRF" Member

Watch: TV
I used to live in Hull and the Blowers shop was only couple minutes walk from me, they have a huge collection with nice friendly staff and was always busy so that's a good sign had a look at a few watches; a tad over priced though.
RosscoStacks is offline   Reply With Quote