The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 July 2021, 09:38 PM   #121
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Take home messagee : I cant buy on an auction,because I dont buy what I cant physically inspect .
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 11:58 PM   #122
nuwildcat928
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
This takeaway is why I provided an update on the situation.

At this point it's been over five weeks since the auction and it's been three weeks since Sotheby's last replied to me. I no longer expect them to seek a resolution, which is why I have decided to share everything I know so that others are aware of the risks involved in dealing with Sotheby's.

If I may pass along advice to anyone considering buying from Sotheby's:
1) Don't.
2) If you can't resist, only participate in auctions where you are there physically so that upon the fall of the hammer you can immediately pay and walk out with your property.
3) Always use a credit card. Never wire them money.

Imagine the stress and the nightmare if you had won a Platona or 5711 online, paid via wire transfer, and then have Sotheby's renege on you. Even if you agreed to a refund they'd be sitting on your +$100k for months.

As for potential sellers, be aware of their awful payment terms. There is another recent thread of a seller not getting paid by Sotheby's for over a month after the sale. In the end, the seller appears to only have been paid because he also started a TRF thread, which someone at Sotheby's read and acted upon.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...hlight=sotheby
Thank you for telling us of your experience. I for one appreciate it and will keep it in mind.
nuwildcat928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 12:23 AM   #123
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I haven't followed all the posts, but read the beginning of the first thread and the beginning of this thread, as well as a few recent posts.

Not to paint all auction houses with the same shady brush as Sotheby's, but is it safe to assume that they all operate in a way that is similar and the idea of finding an under-bid good deal on an auction watch that actually gets delivered is slim? Or is it just Sotheby's?
Old 25 July 2021, 01:31 AM   #124
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
To me, it seems once the winning bid is made and payment received by the auction house, it is too late to withdraw the item unless there is something allowing this in their small print. If it were me, I would take the refund and move on. You can easily spend more time, effort and money on this than the watch is worth.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 11:49 AM   #125
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
What happened with this?
Did the OP get his $25,000 ?
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 08:04 PM   #126
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I for one will never do business with them and will also let all my friends and family no what kind of business that they really are and ask them to also spread the word. Sorry for your troubles OP.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 10:39 PM   #127
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets_fan44 View Post
Someone should be terminated for this mishap

I say having someone killed is a bit over the top.
Old 27 July 2021, 11:14 PM   #128
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
So, in summary:

OP bids for a watch on an online auction and pays for it

Due to what appears to be a technical error at Sotheby's the watch was mistakenly listed for sale.

OP is offered a refund but declines, wanting either the watch or funds totalling more than twice what he paid for the watch ($25,000)

Sotheby's well published T&C's which the OP signed up to when bidding state that Sotheby's cannot be held responsible for such mistakes.

The OP is butthurt because Sotheby's wont give him a watch they don't have or compensate him by refunding more than twice what he paid.

The OP has no legal entitlement to either as per the T&C's the OP agreed to when bidding.

Sotheby's have no case to answer here other than sub standard customer service and the OP's (understandable) disappointment at not getting the bargain of the century.

Did I miss anything?

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 11:45 PM   #129
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Yep I would hire an attorney. This is unacceptable. I hope it all works out for you.
Typical (dreamer) answer of someone who has never hired an attorney for a low $ issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
An attorney will charge by the hour for his/her services and that will strip away any sense of the good deal you initially got. This totally sucks, but as stated above, Southebys has lawyers on retainer I bet, and can take anything that comes at them, sad to say.

Get the refund and move on imo
Typical (realist) answer of someone who indeed know what he is talking about.
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 11:57 PM   #130
Bill11783
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO, LV
Deal was too good to be true. That is all I see. Fighting the auction house would cost more than if you bought a new one. For Principal will cost you lots of money and plenty of aggravation. You have to ask yourself… is it really worth pursuing?
Bill11783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 12:12 AM   #131
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
If the OP won the bid on another watch and decided not to move forward for any number of reasons after the close of the auction, and Sotheby’s had already delivered him the watch...would Sotheby’s just let it go if the OP said never mind, I’m just going to mail your watch back. Let’s forget the whole thing ever happened.

council from those who are experienced in the field, I’m sure is appreciated but
I’m not understanding the comments here that are negative in any way towards the OP.
Well said. You can be sure they would have pursued you to full extent of the law…
Still, life is not always fair and I wouldn’t spend time energy and money on this.

Anyways, did no one yet congratulating you on getting that Lange 1 at auction? Congrats!
Old 28 July 2021, 12:16 AM   #132
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
Sotheby's: Congrats on your winning bid.
Buyer: Thanks, Send me my watch, then I'll pay the bid amount.
Sotheby's: Here's your watch.
Buyer: Actually the Money has been allocated to another fund and we missed it, so I'm going to have to return the watch and I promise to pay extra shipping on the next purchase.
Sotheby's: YOU OWE US OUR FEE AND YOU CAN'T CANCEL DUE TO YOUR MISTAKE!
Buyer: Well your choice is to accept a return but I'll hold this watch for a month while you decide... Oh it's nice, too bad I can't buy it, Technical issue and all.
Old 28 July 2021, 12:31 AM   #133
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

I’d have personally just asked them to waiver the buyer premium for the next auction (up to the same value as this) and move on with life. Them Offering discounted shipping is not enough, that is an insult, especially as their actions have put them in disrepute and shows they do not honour a damn thing.

However OP Asking for $25k when he knows they don’t have the watch and know they are obviously not going to ‘source’ you another is ridiculous. The OP sounds like an absolute nightmare of a character. I can imagine him in coffee shops making demands at the staff and quoting his consumer rights. He is the risk factor that companies have to price into everyday goods and services that affects us all.
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 01:04 AM   #134
1665fan
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=

However OP Asking for $25k when he knows they don’t have the watch and know they are obviously not going to ‘source’ you another is ridiculous. The OP sounds like an absolute nightmare of a character. I can imagine him in coffee shops making demands at the staff and quoting his consumer rights. He is the risk factor that companies have to price into everyday goods and services that affects us all.[/QUOTE]

Is that why prices are going up?? Lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 03:02 AM   #135
destr0y26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post

I’m curious why Rich’s signature and title changed in 5 days, including the elimination of his phone number. Coincidence or funny business?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While this doesn't necessarily explain the change in title across replies, it very well could be due to him using different devices for separate replies. For example, when I reply to an email from my laptop my full, colored signature is visible, but when I reply from my iphone my signature is very basic and colorless/absent of branding.

Just my .2
destr0y26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 11:20 AM   #136
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Was this ever settled?
donq is offline   Reply With Quote