The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 July 2021, 10:31 PM   #1
LondonGuy86
"TRF" Member

Average time to get the call from your AD

Hi Guys, first post here so apologies if the question has been asked before. Yesterday for the very first time I ventured into my local Rolex AD (London Selfridges) to buy a GMT MASTER II, Little did I know that there is the so called waiting list. The AD would not give me a specific time frame, however, he did say that the selection process when the watches become available is completely random and does not depend on previous purchase history. I somehow find this hard go believe, anyway my question is what's the average waiting time for such a watch and are there any tips I can use to expedite the process? Many thanks
LondonGuy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 10:36 PM   #2
Highend7
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonGuy86 View Post
Hi Guys, first post here so apologies if the question has been asked before. Yesterday for the very first time I ventured into my local Rolex AD (London Selfridges) to buy a GMT MASTER II, Little did I know that there is the so called waiting list. The AD would not give me a specific time frame, however, he did say that the selection process when the watches become available is completely random and does not depend on previous purchase history. I somehow find this hard go believe, anyway my question is what's the average waiting time for such a watch and are there any tips I can use to expedite the process? Many thanks
Average waiting time???
There's no definite answer to that. Some take as long as 4 years or you might just be lucky and get it in 4 weeks...

But it's an unending waiting list and yes there's an edge for those with purchase history despite what the AD said...

A thread was started couple of weeks ago and it was asked if giving tips to the AD should be advised and if it helps in getting some sort of preferential treatment... though no definite conclusion was made, I'll say it does help sometimes. But then again individuals differ thus you need to know what works with your AD...

Well goodluck buddy.
Highend7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 10:38 PM   #3
KMalone
"TRF" Member

Send your AD a handwritten Thank You card reiterating your desire for the GMT.

Hopefully, he'll respond to your card and this will give you an opportunity to answer . . . with a nice bottle of wine. From there just touch base every few weeks.

Doing this same thing got me a Sub Date, GMT Pepsi, and a DJ with the Tiffany blue dial (for my wife). I bought these 3 between August 2020 and Feb 2021. I had ZERO spend history and got these watches. Kissin' a little *** seemed to help!

give it a try . . .
KMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 10:45 PM   #4
Highend7
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMalone View Post

Hopefully, he'll respond to your card and this will give you an opportunity to answer . . . with a nice bottle of wine. From there just touch base every few weeks.

Doing this same thing got me a Sub Date, GMT Pepsi, and a DJ with the Tiffany blue dial (for my wife). I bought these 3 between August 2020 and Feb 2021. I had ZERO spend history and got these watches. Kissin' a little *** seemed to help!

give it a try . . .
This should work...
Highend7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 10:49 PM   #5
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Nobody can tell exactly wait-time. It depends mainly on your luck and timing. If you have a good luck, your SA like you, they don’t think you’re a flipper, You will have a better chance to get it sooner than later. ADs/Boutiques get Pepsi/Batman almost every month, who is the lucky person they pick?

Last year I got very lucky, I got so many sought after pieces in the short time.

You should stop to visit your AD once in awhile, so they can remember you and you will have a better chance.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 11:19 PM   #6
vh2k
"TRF" Member

The SA/AD was very professional and diplomatic with their answer. Good luck to you.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 11:57 PM   #7
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
The SA was kind enough to give you the gentle blow off. The AD has a lot of high spending customers and inner circle connections to satisfy first. Best of luck.
Batmannr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 12:10 AM   #8
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Everyone is going to provide you a different answer.
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 12:14 AM   #9
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I’ve purchased like 20 watches. Never have gotten a call.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 12:18 AM   #10
LondonGuy86
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the answers. The new Rolex boutique flagship store is opening this week so I expect there will be a big delivery of watches to the new store. My plan is to go there every few days and pester them till they give me the watch. If that doesn't work then I shall resort to plan b, a b ottle of wine or a finest bottle of champagne!!!

P.s do AD take bribes?!
Old 21 July 2021, 12:19 AM   #11
LondonGuy86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
I’ve purchased like 20 watches. Never have gotten a call.
Please elaborate?!
Old 21 July 2021, 12:38 AM   #12
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:

give it a try . . .

hmmmmm, worth a try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 12:49 AM   #13
ROBERT1183
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX SOON
I registered interest at 2 local ADs for my first piece alittle over a month ago. I check in with them here and there. Still waiting on my first call.
ROBERT1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 01:00 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

I really do feel sorry for first time buyers who’ve saved and finally decided to take the plunge and buy their first (and potentially only) Rolex. It must be discouraging…

My only advice to you is to keep dropping by at your Ad and expressing your interest.

Beyond that, you would be able to buy the watch on the gray market, but it will cost approx. double.

All the best of luck to you
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 01:12 AM   #15
Master_Grogu
Banned

Quote:
Please elaborate?!
Probably orders his casios in bulk.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 01:25 AM   #16
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Every first time buyer seems to act surprised when they are told "waiting list".
You are on a "wish list", not a "waiting list". This forum is filled with dozens eager for the call; some are fortunate while others are left clueless.
For every coveted watch, there are dozens waiting.
casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 01:29 AM   #17
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Quote:
In case you are looking to buy GMTs Batman or Pepsi…the answer is never. His answer of a “selection process” and the fact that one exists is appalling. Many of my friends bought a Rolex tax free at Selfridges, but never a hot model. I think there is a possibility Rolex there belongs to David Morris the jeweller.
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 01:47 AM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

6.2 years given your sitch
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 02:10 AM   #19
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the selection process when the watches become available is completely random and does not depend on previous purchase history.
I think your AD/SA was telling you half the truth.

It should have been "after we've serviced and provided and met all of our VIP customers needs then....the selection process when the watches become available is completely random and does not depend on previous purchase history."

i got my:
BLNR - less than a week
BLRO - 7 months

Tips to expedite? If you spend $50k-$100k on other non-Sport SS Rolex watches, other watch brands, and jewelry it will certainly speed things up - but no guarantees

If you're after the the CHNR - that should be much easier to get.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 02:34 AM   #20
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:

After the written card and wine doesn't work, you'd likely need to up your game a bit. Keep upping the gifts until you get what you want.. card.. wine.. island vacations... maybe even a Rolex or offer your firstborn

I kid of course

Quote:
Thanks for all the answers. The new Rolex boutique flagship store is opening this week so I expect there will be a big delivery of watches to the new store. My plan is to go there every few days and pester them till they give me the watch. If that doesn't work then I shall resort to plan b, a b ottle of wine or a finest bottle of champagne!!!

P.s do AD take bribes?!
I don't know how fine you're thinking... but finest can mean multiple thousands where you can instead just buy grey now and enjoy
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 02:41 AM   #21
cbalster
"TRF" Member

You won't learn much here. The situation YTD has changed drastically.

I "got a call" in January for a blue dial datejust 41 fluted on Oyster in 3 days. When I went to pick up they had 3 other blue dial datejust configurations sitting in the case (36mm jub fluted, smooth oyster 41, smooth Oyster jub). They also had a 41mm OP Silver sitting, and a 31mm OP Tiffany sitting!

As of March I saw a a TT Sub Black, TT Sub Blue, and TT SD43 sitting in the case at an AD.

In April I saw a RG GMT and a YG Sub Blue and YG Sub Black sitting in the case.

Since then the 2-3 AD's I peruse have run out of any men's watches entirely.

Now they have hardly any mens watches at all.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 03:01 AM   #22
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Going on one year for a GMT BLRO. Was offered a couple of DJs and an OP41 in that time. It varies tremendously between location and AD. This time last year I saw several OP39 models, several PM Daytona models and countless DJ36 models sitting in the case at a single AD. Now every AD I visit has nothing but women’s models
MONTANTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 03:52 AM   #23
dxhan
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD
To be honest, for a brand new buyer the answer would be never.
dxhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 04:04 AM   #24
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
the selection process when the watches become available is completely random and does not depend on previous purchase history.
Liar !

Waiting for a pepsi since launch,even got a GMT Meteorite recently .
So I am not complaining .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 04:15 AM   #25
stockae92
"TRF" Member

The quickest way to get a call soon is to spend money. AD even boutique are all playing the same game.

If you don't have a decent purchase history, the chance is close to zero. Never say never. If the AD is kind enough to take your name, then go ahead and put your name down. Some are more "honest" and will plenty much let you know some (most) Rolex are now reserved for "preferred" customers. Some will flat out suggest you to start buying something else before putting your name on the list.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 04:22 AM   #26
ChiGuy322
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
As another reference point...Ive bought two watches (GMT and DJ2) from Chicago AD and been waiting 2.5 years on a PM Daytona
ChiGuy322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 06:23 AM   #27
LondonGuy86
"TRF" Member

I know I can easily go grey market, but for me its not about cost. For me buying my first rolex has to be from an AD or boutique since the buying experience is part of it and not just wearing the watch. People r saying to regularly visit my AD but the problem is everytime I go into Rolex Selfridges, the staff have changed as I think they get rotated around different boutiques. Anyway I'm prepared to wait and fingers crossed I don't have to wait too long. Thanks all for your input
Old 21 July 2021, 06:31 AM   #28
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I just got a call so 4:30 EDT
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 12:20 PM   #29
Newmoney
Banned

Welcome to This world.

They go for a high premium for a reason
Newmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 12:38 PM   #30
Policylimits
"TRF" Member

Reddit r/Rolex has a pretty good anecdotal thread
Policylimits is offline   Reply With Quote