The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 3 February 2020, 08:43 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Am I the only one not worried??
Have to agree although this Coronavirus is a serous problem lets get things into perspective.Around 291,000 to as many as 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each and every year.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 3 February 2020, 09:08 PM   #2
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree although this Coronavirus is a serous problem lets get things into perspective.Around 291,000 to as many as 646,000 people worldwide die from seasonal influenza-related respiratory illnesses each and every year.
Personally, what's worrying me is the fact that seasonal flu has a mortality rate of around 0.1%. Right now Wuhan virus' mortality rate is around 2-3%. That difference, together with it spreading like wildfire, is huge.
Old 4 February 2020, 11:53 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Some people love to panic

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 4 February 2020, 11:59 PM   #4
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Really? The Chinese Government loves to panic?
Old 5 February 2020, 12:06 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Really? The Chinese Government loves to panic?
Check the chart, look at the facts. IMHO China is playing catch up and is far more embarrassed than scared.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 5 February 2020, 12:06 AM   #6
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Still need to consider the mortality rate is 2-3x influenza. So if the same amount of people contract this, the mortality numbers will swell beyond influenza fatalities. Most of these would likely be in China and lesser developed countries.

Still too early to determine if there is panic or not. This thing needs to peak out before that assessment can accurately be made.
Old 5 February 2020, 12:14 AM   #7
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:

We can’t compare this to the flu anymore. Mortality rate is more than 3X and it’s more contagious. Wuhan Coronavirus can now spread three different ways, air, fecal and surface (up to 5 days.) All qualified.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 5 February 2020, 02:39 AM   #8
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
We can’t compare this to the flu anymore. Mortality rate is more than 3X and it’s more contagious. Wuhan Coronavirus can now spread three different ways, air, fecal and surface (up to 5 days.) All qualified.

The Novel Coronavirus will likely transmit as many viral pathogens do - using a host cell from every possible source.

I’d like to mention that the increasing rate of cases is accelerating much faster than the rate of deaths.

We will see the lethality shrink as we get control over the mortality despite sharp increases in cases.

Can’t really rely on only 17,000 cases as a denominator to yield a forward-looking mortality rate. Note that the other comparable outbreaks have millions of cases over a years time

When we have a year’s worth of Novel CV data I believe the observed mortality will be closer to the flu than SARS or MERS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 5 February 2020, 06:29 AM   #9
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The Novel Coronavirus will likely transmit as many viral pathogens do - using a host cell from every possible source.

I’d like to mention that the increasing rate of cases is accelerating much faster than the rate of deaths.

We will see the lethality shrink as we get control over the mortality despite sharp increases in cases.

Can’t really rely on only 17,000 cases as a denominator to yield a forward-looking mortality rate. Note that the other comparable outbreaks have millions of cases over a years time

When we have a year’s worth of Novel CV data I believe the observed mortality will be closer to the flu than SARS or MERS.

Agree with the exception of MERS, mortality was in the 30% range. That was a dangerous one.

Old 5 February 2020, 07:57 AM   #10
77T

Quote:
Agree with the exception of MERS, mortality was in the 30% range. That was a dangerous one.

I was saying Novel CV mortality would be closer to flu than either SARS or MERS. SARS was about 10% untreated and MERS was 30%. I agree both of those were horrific.

I expect Novel will eventually be something under 1%.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 5 February 2020, 09:15 AM   #11
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I was saying Novel CV mortality would be closer to flu than either SARS or MERS. SARS was about 10% untreated and MERS was 30%. I agree both of those were horrific.

I expect Novel will eventually be something under 1%.

Expertise in helicoptering and virology...thanks for your insights in the current events...
Old 8 February 2020, 06:51 PM   #12
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:

Surface? 5 days? Where did you get that from? Any source? Really want to know.

CDC says:

It’s currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

And the virus is supposed to only survive outside of the body a few minutes to hours but not days.
Old 8 February 2020, 07:21 PM   #13
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
Surface? 5 days? Where did you get that from? Any source? Really want to know.

CDC says:

It’s currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

And the virus is supposed to only survive outside of the body a few minutes to hours but not days.
Actually it’s 9-days now. Let me find source. If you simply Google search coronavirus you’ll get the same data. It’s not a secret

Old 8 February 2020, 07:34 PM   #14
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
Quote:
Actually it’s 9-days now. Let me find source. If you simply Google search coronavirus you’ll get the same data. It’s not a secret

Credible source....?
WHO and CDC say nothing of that sort...
Old 9 February 2020, 12:49 AM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html
Old 9 February 2020, 07:22 AM   #16
Laszlo

Quote:
CDC is political.

Coronaviruses can persist on inanimate surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for up to nine days, according to a study published Feb. 6 in the Journal of Hospital Infection.

Researchers analyzed 22 studies on coronaviruses, including literature on SARS and MERS. An analysis revealed that the viruses normally survive on surfaces between four and five days, but can remain infectious for up to nine days. Low temperatures and high air humidity increase the lifespan.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...udy-finds.html

Old 29 February 2020, 01:51 AM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
For us worrywarts .... this is the post you need to remember the most. In the U.S. alone, about 60,000 people die every year from the flu, and many of us don't even get the vaccine!

Good to be cautious and careful, of course, but people, can we please stop the panic!? The hype and fear-mongering are out of control.
Old 29 February 2020, 02:29 AM   #18
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
For us worrywarts .... this is the post you need to remember the most. In the U.S. alone, about 60,000 people die every year from the flu, and many of us don't even get the vaccine!

Good to be cautious and careful, of course, but people, can we please stop the panic!? The hype and fear-mongering are out of control.
The flu kills about 14 people per 100,000 cases in the US.

With a ~3.5% mortality rate, coronavirus would be ~3,500 deaths per 100,000 cases

I was talking about this with friends last night. Those rates are vastly different and our experience will be nothing like the flu. I’m 37 and lucky enough to not know anyone who’s died from the flu. The 2 friends I was talking to last night also didn’t know anyone who died from the flu. You also can’t catch the same strain of the flu more than once.

I believe our experience to be different with this when corona really hits due to the rates and fact a person can get it more than once. I hypothesize that we'll all know someone who dies from this before it’s all said and done

The US is basically dong nothing for prevention

Don’t panic, but it’s very possible that we experience a societal paradigm shift once this really gets going

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 29 February 2020, 03:12 AM   #19
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post

With a ~3.5% mortality rate, coronavirus would be ~3,500 deaths per 100,000 cases

I was talking about this with friends last night. Those rates are vastly different and our experience will be nothing like the flu. I’m 37 and lucky enough to not know anyone who’s died from the flu. The 2 friends I was talking to last night also didn’t know anyone who died from the flu. You also can’t catch the same strain of the flu more than once.

I believe our experience to be different with this when corona really hits due to the rates and fact a person can get it more than once. I hypothesize that we'll all know someone who dies from this before it’s all said and done

The US is basically dong nothing for prevention

Don’t panic, but it’s very possible that we experience a societal paradigm shift once this really gets going

Well put. A lot of these too cool to care posts will not age well.
Old 29 February 2020, 03:40 AM   #20
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post

With a ~3.5% mortality rate, coronavirus would be ~3,500 deaths per 100,000 cases.
It's apples and oranges. You can't extrapolate and compare to flu with such a relatively small sample size on the coronavirus.

Again, let's be cautious with all diseases, but the panic here is not logical.
Old 29 February 2020, 06:45 AM   #21
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
It's apples and oranges. You can't extrapolate and compare to flu with such a relatively small sample size on the coronavirus.

Again, let's be cautious with all diseases, but the panic here is not logical.
I’m don’t really see this as apples to oranges. Yes, the sample size is vastly different and it’s possible that the rates change as more coronavirus data comes in. However, this is a decent parallel based on today’s known data.

I’m not advocating for panic, but I think everyone should be taking this very seriously. All of our best defense is lots of hand washing and no touching of your own face/mouth. Those are difficult habits for a lot of people. Personally, that's what my family and I are focused on now. Getting in the habit by calling each other out if we see face/mouth touching.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 29 February 2020, 02:29 AM   #22
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-19-face-masks

Yes, it is worse than the flu: busting the coronavirus myths

The truth about the protective value of face masks and how easy it is to catch Covid-19

Hannah Devlin Science correspondent

Fri 28 Feb 2020 13.59 GMTFirst published on Fri 28 Feb 2020 11.00 GMT

Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’

Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally
Closed Thread