The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 June 2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Assquatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Explorer II desirability

Are cream dial explorer II's just not popular? I've had a fantastic condition one posted for sale for a week with no serious offers. And I saw jacek had one posted for a long time too. I think it's a cool unique watch but apparently I'm alone in all this.
Assquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 03:14 PM   #2
tudorlex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Black dials seem to be more desired than cream. Just the way it is?
tudorlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 04:59 PM   #3
gimpex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C LV / Exp II
Actually when you posted yours for sale , I read up on it as I wasnt aware of the differences between that and the normal explorer II. Interesting read on one of the other forums - I forget where, but it was a good comparison and pics.

I think contributing to the low interest:
-low awareness of the cream dial versus standard white expII
-that in turn leads to people not appreciating the price premium
-white dial ( or not black) is always a personal thing - as you can see many many posts here abouut white/green dials and various opinions
-in that price bracket there are a lot of other,more recognisable models to chose from

PS Any reference to price does not mean I think its over or under priced. I have no clue. Just my thoughts.

EDIT - found the link http://www.watchtalkforums.info/foru...orum/40661.htm
gimpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 05:18 PM   #4
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I love them BUT, I feel they are WAY too dear at current asking prices over regular EIIs or heck for even vintages mattes. They are semi modern gloss dials. That is sometimes forgotten and I think we are seeing that. FWIW yours is my favorite config but there is a whole lot I could buy for that, GWs, Reds, Whites, 5508s!!!!, Daytonas, AP ROOs ect. It will be worth that price for somebody with that config but it might be a while before you find them.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Assquatch
"TRF" Member

I personally dont think they are all that cool compared to other things in that price range either. I've just never had a watch get this little interest from buyers. It's scary.
Old 24 June 2012, 06:21 PM   #6
jedly1
"TRF" Member

The 16550 rail dial in cream is a cracking beautiful watch .And on the wrist it's a a standout for sure.. The problem is that a few years ago we started noticing how many non rail , and non t Swiss < 25 ... That we always used to see in white suddenly they were all cream ..... Hmm..... Then we saw a very clear and public example of how the plots could actually be removed and re attached .... Therefore making it quite straight toward to adulterate them to create ' cream'

Muddy waters scare buyers off pure and simple.

I'd happily have a full set with the unique USA style typed papers containing the 12 colour code for the dial ... But then I know quite a lot on the subject ... Most would I guess just get confused by the whole thing and walk away ...
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Naya72

Watch: Keep it simple
Personally, the price is just beyond my budget...but I admit that after trying my friend's explorer II cream dial, I decided to pull the trigger and bought white dial explorer II M serial number...
Naya72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 09:59 PM   #8
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I see you keep re-listing the exact same ad every day in the FS section instead of taking the time to read and follow the rules there
Old 24 June 2012, 10:19 PM   #9
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

You seem like a straight up guy but honestly I think most people sending off 12000 into the vapor are slightly concerned with a username like assquach with 38 posts. No offense.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Watch: this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp5 View Post
you seem like a straight up guy but honestly i think most people sending off 12000 into the vapor are slightly concerned with a username like assquach with 38 posts. No offense.
Good point...
Tijssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 10:48 PM   #11
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Watch: where you're going
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpex View Post
The very first picture from that link may very well be a faked "cream" dial... On the bottom of the dial it is written : Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified. The space between "Superlative" & "Chronometer" must be aligned exactly with the space between "Officially" & "Certified".

I've been searching for a second Rolex and the Explorer II is the one I'm looking at but which ref. is still to be determined.

Here's a few links with ref to faked dials:
http://bjsonline.com/watches/articles/0016.shtml

http://watchblog.dk/rolex16550.html
2012 G-Shock GW-2310FB-1
2013 Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Mr. RoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 11:12 PM   #12
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
38 posts = no offers
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2012, 03:25 AM   #13
Assquatch
"TRF" Member

I can see the reservations people may have about buying from someone who doesn't post a lot. That's part of why I only take payment via PayPal. If either party is wronged it can be disputesd making everyone protected. I don't sell watches for a living, i read on the forum, and happen to need some money so i'm selling a watch. I also have it posted on another watch forum where over been a member for 5 years and have hundreds of post and I'm getting no interest there. As to the authenticity, it's pretty clear in the pics that it is a rail dial, and more pics upon request are available.