The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 April 2021, 10:00 PM   #121
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre38 View Post
Just thought I would share.
What a great story!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 10:47 PM   #122
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
This is so touching to read. Congrats! Your son is lucky to have a wonderful father.
Old 7 April 2021, 12:28 AM   #123
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing, This is truly great.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 01:57 AM   #124
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Wow. Such an incredible story. Both of you are very inspiring.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 02:26 AM   #125
Bruin Watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaCartier
That is so awesome!! Thanks for sharing, and best wishes to you and your sons.
Bruin Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 04:36 AM   #126
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
This is awesome. One of the best threads in a long time!

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 04:57 PM   #127
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
This has to be one of the best threads on TRF ever.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2021, 10:31 PM   #128
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The response here is amazing, I didn't expect this kind of support. Honestly. I just wanted to share a milestone for myself and my family.

This place is fantastic. Thank you everyone.

This thread is so very good that ... I'm interested how the first day was going for your son. What did he say when he came home?
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:21 AM   #129
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
This thread is so very good that ... I'm interested how the first day was going for your son. What did he say when he came home?
Thank you for asking. He was very excited. When he got home, we decided to go out for dinner to celebrate. While at dinner he shared how he got to see all of the inner workings of the store... the employee break room, the back storage area... all of the "Employee Only" areas.

His main tasks were stocking the cooler, straightening and facing the shelves and making sure the deli food in the case was stocked and at the correct temperatures.

What may seem pretty mundane to most people, were very exciting to him. He has been pretty house bound and stuck with dad for what probably seems like an eternity. Just getting out of the house and having some social interaction away from me, is probably be enough... but to have actual responsibilities made it even better for him. It gave him a sense of accomplishment and independence that he has been unfortunately lacking.

He has now worked two shifts and told me "I don't know it all yet, but I know more than I did yesterday." He is looking forward to going to work again tomorrow. I feel that the socialization will do him wonders, maybe improve his social skills and pull him out of his shell a bit.

He is fully aware of his Autism, and I think it takes incredible courage for him to be doing this.
Old 8 April 2021, 12:27 AM   #130
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Thank you for asking. He was very excited. When he got home, we decided to go out for dinner to celebrate. While at dinner he shared how he got to see all of the inner workings of the store... the employee break room, the back storage area... all of the "Employee Only" areas.

His main tasks were stocking the cooler, straightening and facing the shelves and making sure the deli food in the case was stocked and at the correct temperatures.

What may seem pretty mundane to most people, were very exciting to him. He has been pretty house bound and stuck with dad for what probably seems like an eternity. Just getting out of the house and having some social interaction away from me, is probably be enough... but to have actual responsibilities made it even better for him. It gave him a sense of accomplishment and independence that he has been unfortunately lacking.

He has now worked two shifts and told me "I don't know it all yet, but I know more than I did yesterday." He is looking forward to going to work again tomorrow. I feel that the socialization will do him wonders, maybe improve his social skills and pull him out of his shell a bit.

He is fully aware of his Autism, and I think it takes incredible courage for him to be doing this.

You are now my favorite curmudgeon!
Old 8 April 2021, 12:36 AM   #131
640ibimmerguy
"TRF" Member

Man this is a fantastic story, truly uplifting. This might just be what he needed in life to take that next step. Good job Dad!
640ibimmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:49 AM   #132
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Best incoming ever... non watch related.

Quote:

Gave me goosebumps and made my eyes sweat. Thanks for the update!! Your sons attitude is refreshing and an inspiration!! You’ve obviously done a great job instilling values, strength and courage despite all the challenges you all have faced. Please keep us updated with all new developments, I feel like we all need an uplifting TRF story, there are many people rooting for him and his continued successes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 01:20 AM   #133
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Best incoming ever... non watch related.

Quote:

Thank you for sharing these emotional moments here.

"I don't know it all yet, but I know more than I did yesterday" must be wonderful to hear for you as father

Best wishes
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 01:22 AM   #134
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Just seeing this now, great to hear! Congrats on a job well done by you and your boys.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 01:25 AM   #135
biaoist
"TRF" Member

Perseverance, what an amazing story! hats off to you and your son!
biaoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:07 AM   #136
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

I suppose it was inevitable, but the expectations have grown. With the introduction of my sons new found employment, his expectations of himself and what he can, or should, accomplish has now begun to blossom.

This afternoon, when I got up ( I work graveyard ) he said "Dad, we need to talk." Immediately I was on guard. Much like the time he called me and the first words out of his mouth were " Don't worry, the fire is out! " He proceeded to tell me that he needs, not wants, but needs to learn to drive.

We have addressed this topic in the past and he had decided that due to the fact that he tends to lose focus and has anxiety issues, driving probably wasn't the best idea. The thought of him getting into a situation behind the wheel where his anxiety takes over, is scary for both of us. Apparently he has developed the confidence to want to revisit the topic.

I took him to a local community college parking lot last year to let him try to drive just so he could experience a bit of time behind the wheel. My car has a manual transmission and he struggled a bit knowing when to shift. We tried shifting by watching the Tach, and by sound... both were semi successful but work needs to be done. He actually managed the clutch pretty well on stops and starts, but it was the shifting that had him a bit flummoxed.

So it appears we have some work to do. He has already let me know that he has some travel ambitions as well, when it becomes safe to travel again. I think this job may be the catalyst he has needed.
Old 8 April 2021, 11:12 AM   #137
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Thanks for the most uplifting story I’ve heard in a while. I could only imagine how you feel.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 12:57 PM   #138
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. There must have been so many challenging times, especially with the mom walking out like that (I’ll keep it positive and not share my feelings....). You are a strong man who’s carried his share and then some, and raised two boys into men, which is hard under “normal” circumstances.

It doesn’t matter how much $ we have in the bank, or what’s in the driveway, or what’s on the wrist, if we mess up our children. Bravo, Paul!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 07:36 PM   #139
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Paul, this is hands down the best thread I’ve read on this forum. Thank you for sharing this as I think it really brings some much needed perspective to our first world problems that we often complain about. I can’t even express how much joy this has brought to me and how much it’s touched me. You’re an incredible father and this story makes me want to strive to be better for the sake of my two boys. Best wishes and best of health to you and yours.
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:33 AM   #140
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

I just wanted to drop an update to those of you who may have an interest.

My son has now worked a total of 5 relatively short ( 3 hour ) shifts at his new job. It hasn't all been smooth sailing, as I suspected it wouldn't be. Due to the Autism, my son struggles with anxiety issues that tend to overwhelm him.

He came home yesterday after his shift and was very down. Apparently he had a tough day. He was dealing with some back stock at the store and started getting frustrated because he wasn't exactly sure what he was doing. In his own words..."I had an incident where I acted less than professional and I was asked to go outside and pull myself together."

I am not sure how to describe it to those who have never experienced it, but it's kind of a total system meltdown. Once his frustration and anxiety takes over, he can't be reasoned with, he doesn't really hear what is being said and kind of mentally retreats into himself. It's not a pretty thing.

We had a long talk about using this as a learning experience and when feeling the anxiety building, maybe request a few minutes to decompress before it crosses the line. There have been people in the past who saw this behavior as a tantrum, but it's not. This is a genuine medical and mental disability that he struggles with. This is something my father could never accept.

So that's about it for now, we will see how it progresses.
Old 14 April 2021, 11:05 AM   #141
RBradleigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
I started my new job 6 weeks ago and have already had a few days of high anxiety. I went 9 months unemployed which has caused moments of doubt and “impostor syndrome.” I do not have any mental illness or diagnosed syndromes that limit me, I guess what I’m trying to say is none of us are perfect so do the best you can to encourage him to hang tough on the job :)
Old 14 April 2021, 11:40 AM   #142
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Not what I was expecting when I opened this thread! The most touching story I’ve heard in quite some time. Sooo much respect for you and your boy! Thanks for sharing and giving us a reminder that there’s sooo much more things to focus on in this world. Again, so happy for you and your boy. I wish you blessings, favor and continued joy and happiness.
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 02:56 PM   #143
Erod24
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!!🎉
This is amazing
Erod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 04:35 PM   #144
sfbatman007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First let me give a brief background ... on my son.

Born with a condition called Gastroschisis ( stomach and intestines on the outside ), delivered at 4.2 lbs, spent first 47 days in Neonatal ICU and had 6 surgeries to put him together.

At 22 months, diagnosed with Autism. At 10, we were told he would never be independent and would require care for life. At 12, his mom couldn't deal with it and left taking his younger brother.

It has been the two of us for the last 11 years together. He does pretty well but still has some pretty limiting issues.

Fast forward to today... He got up and took a shower and started getting ready as if he was going somewhere. I asked what was going on and he replied " I didn't want to tell you dad, I wanted it to be a surprise.... I am going to work."

Without my help or knowledge, he managed to get a job at a local convenience store. His brother helped him with some of the details. Together, they ordered his social security card, filled out the paperwork, and attended the interviews.

This may not seem like a big deal to many here on the forum, but this is life changing for him... and me. I couldn't be prouder. He is currently working his first shift ( 3 hours ) and I am not to go into the store. I am busting at the seams, but am respecting his wishes.

You are a super hero and if I was in front of you, I would give you a hug. It takes a very strong person to face a situation like this and it seems like you never gave up. Sir, I salute you

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
sfbatman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:39 PM   #145
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
First let me give a brief background ... on my son.

Born with a condition called Gastroschisis ( stomach and intestines on the outside ), delivered at 4.2 lbs, spent first 47 days in Neonatal ICU and had 6 surgeries to put him together.

At 22 months, diagnosed with Autism. At 10, we were told he would never be independent and would require care for life. At 12, his mom couldn't deal with it and left taking his younger brother.

It has been the two of us for the last 11 years together. He does pretty well but still has some pretty limiting issues.

Fast forward to today... He got up and took a shower and started getting ready as if he was going somewhere. I asked what was going on and he replied " I didn't want to tell you dad, I wanted it to be a surprise.... I am going to work."

Without my help or knowledge, he managed to get a job at a local convenience store. His brother helped him with some of the details. Together, they ordered his social security card, filled out the paperwork, and attended the interviews.

This may not seem like a big deal to many here on the forum, but this is life changing for him... and me. I couldn't be prouder. He is currently working his first shift ( 3 hours ) and I am not to go into the store. I am busting at the seams, but am respecting his wishes.

Really heart warming. What a dad you are buddy!
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 10:22 PM   #146
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

This is such a great story. Thank you much for keeping us updated, please continue to do so? I've never pulled so hard for someone I haven't met before. I truly hope he succeeds in this.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 10:59 PM   #147
TRS1
"TRF" Member

What an wonderful gift. And you sound like a wonderful Father. Congratulations.
TRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:37 AM   #148
Wk33outlaw
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing this. I can only imagine the joy in your heart and in his. What a great accomplishment on both of your sides.
Wk33outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote