The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Skavary
"TRF" Member

POLISHING by Rolex Service Center

Greetings all!

Hope you’re doing well! I had a quick question. I’m considering having my newer (non-vintage) Rolex polished by the RSC in NYC. It’s going to be a very light touch up. No metal will be removed, the edges/corners will remain sharp. Basically I won’t be able to notice that it’s even been done except for the fact that the scratches will be removed. That it will be returned to me like new. These are their claims.

I just wanted to hear if any of you had any experiences with RSC polishing, especially perhaps at the NYC RSC. Do they generally do a good job? Should I be worried? I’ve just heard some horror stories out there, and I just wanted to see if any of you had any insights or opinions. Thanks!
Skavary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 05:34 PM   #2
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I have had five watches get the full treatment at RSC Beverly Hills, and they come back like brand new each time. I wouldn't hesitate.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 06:11 PM   #3
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Generally all RSC's do a very good job in dressing up your watch, don't overthink it.
All this no polishing is a typical TRF thing, in the real world people don't like scratches and prefer a clean looking watch
Old 13 April 2019, 06:13 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavary View Post
Greetings all!

Hope you’re doing well! I had a quick question. I’m considering having my newer (non-vintage) Rolex polished by the RSC in NYC. It’s going to be a very light touch up. No metal will be removed, the edges/corners will remain sharp. Basically I won’t be able to notice that it’s even been done except for the fact that the scratches will be removed. That it will be returned to me like new. These are their claims.

I just wanted to hear if any of you had any experiences with RSC polishing, especially perhaps at the NYC RSC. Do they generally do a good job? Should I be worried? I’ve just heard some horror stories out there, and I just wanted to see if any of you had any insights or opinions. Thanks!
Today there is more internet generated hype about polishing than the actual watches mostly anti polish god know why.Below a picture of my own personal working tool watch SD,it was used and many times abused for many years underwater as a real working tool.And has been serviced and polished by 3 different RSC world wide,picture taken in Singapore after last service.This working tool has seen more use that todays mainly pampered watches will see in ten lifetimes.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 06:23 PM   #5
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Today there is more internet generated hype about polishing than the actual watches mostly anti polish god know why.Below a picture of my own personal working tool watch SD,it was used and many times abused for many years underwater as a real working tool.And has been serviced and polished by 3 different RSC world wide,picture taken in Singapore after last service.This working tool has seen more use that todays mainly pampered watches will see in ten lifetimes.

Exactly - overpolishing has been way over hyped. Yes, some guys have maybe had a bad experience, but in the vast majority of instances, results are good if carried out by a competent person. Wear them and enjoy them!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Anthony4579
"TRF" Member

Are you taking in the watch for a full service? They have my Hulk for a warranty repair and refused to polish out surface scratches on the back of the clasp unless I paid for a full servicing (watch is two years old).
Anthony4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 09:03 PM   #7
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:

I love that watch. That for sharing.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 09:24 PM   #8
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I think if you want it polished, you should do it. That said, I’m not sure how it’s possible to polish without removing some metal. You can’t get rid of a scratch without slight loss of surface
Old 13 April 2019, 09:30 PM   #9
dsquared2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What an amazing job!

If I would know that all the polishing are as close as the picture, I will also do it.
dsquared2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:16 AM   #10
Skavary
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Exactly - overpolishing has been way over hyped. Yes, some guys have maybe had a bad experience, but in the vast majority of instances, results are good if carried out by a competent person. Wear them and enjoy them!
Wow very interesting. That’s good to know about all the hype. And that’s a beautiful watch! Thanks for your insight!
Old 14 April 2019, 05:17 AM   #11
Skavary
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I think if you want it polished, you should do it. That said, I’m not sure how it’s possible to polish without removing some metal. You can’t get rid of a scratch without slight loss of surface
That’s what I’m wondering as well. But they assured me that it’s going to be a light touch up of sorts - where only the finish will be addressed?
Old 14 April 2019, 06:17 AM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I’ve used RSC St James for: a previously unpolished 1675 long E, 16610LV flat 4, Tudor Big Block. All serviced and all polished and all came back like brand new.
Old 14 April 2019, 06:17 AM   #13
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavary View Post
That’s what I’m wondering as well. But they assured me that it’s going to be a light touch up of sorts - where only the finish will be addressed?
Of course some metal will be removed but not measurable for us ordinary folks
Old 14 April 2019, 06:24 AM   #14
Dr Watches
Banned

My watchmaker worked at the Lititz PA school. He would regularly travel to Dallas RSC to train the polishers. They were considered lower skilled workers (at that time they weren't watchmakers, who knows now).

According to him, some were good and some weren't. There have definitely been some bad jobs out of the various RSCs - lots of good ones too.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 06:29 AM   #15
Geaux Tigers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date
I’d let the RSC do it for sure. If they screw it up they fix it! I agree with above...these are watches made to be reconditioned over time - that’s part of the draw! You can’t polish a Casio! Get it the way you like it and wear the hell out of it. My opinion.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 06:34 AM   #16
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
The so called anti polishing camp is there because many watches have indeed been ruined by over polishing. People with little knowledge may also have been tricked into buying such a watch and feel let down once they realize that their watch looks nothing like it is supposed to look like and restoring it may be difficult and expensive.

There is nothing wrong with refinishing and light polishing, as long as it is done correctly.

Like a poster here has said, some polishers are good, and some are not. Just make sure your watch ends up with a good one.

What do I do? I have learned to do the light polishing/re-finishing myself. I just removed hairline scratches from my clasp and could not be happier. I have worn my watch every day for about 1 year and it looks like brand new.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 06:40 AM   #17
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
The so called anti polishing camp is there because many watches have indeed been ruined by over polishing. People with little knowledge may also have been tricked into buying such a watch and feel let down once they realize that their watch looks nothing like it is supposed to look like and restoring it may be difficult and expensive.

There is nothing wrong with refinishing and light polishing, as long as it is done correctly.

Like a poster here has said, some polishers are good, and some are not. Just make sure your watch ends up with a good one.

What do I do? I have learned to do the light polishing/re-finishing myself. I just removed hairline scratches from my clasp and could not be happier. I have worn my watch every day for about 1 year and it looks like brand new.
To be fair, the prevalence of skilled polishers has increased a lot in the last 20 years. In 2000 if you wanted your case polished with proper bevels, you basically had to send it to the RSC in Kent England:
https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ex-refinishing

Now you can get LAWW, Roliworks, Rik at Time Care, and probably a bunch of other people to lap a chamfer onto your case in the USA.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 09:22 AM   #18
NICK77
"TRF" Member

I've read somewhere that a good polishing only removes several microns of surface area. It's so minimal that one can't tell. Most pre owned watch shops in Singapore do polish lightly for minimal touch up as told by them whenever I asked the question.
NICK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 11:07 AM   #19
Naples09
"TRF" Member

I was in NYC a few years back. My GMTIIC had some bad rash on the PCL's from typing at work - where the one side rubs the desk. I stopped in the RSC and they agreed to polish the bracelet only for free. I think this was on a Friday so it had to be that day as they weren't open and we were flying out the next day. Well - it came out much better than it was - but it wasn't perfect. The left side of the PCL's on 2 links has a tiny portion that is brushed and not polished. Nothing that is that noticeable, but I still see it to this day.

Just my 2 cents.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 01:13 PM   #20
Skavary
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
I was in NYC a few years back. My GMTIIC had some bad rash on the PCL's from typing at work - where the one side rubs the desk. I stopped in the RSC and they agreed to polish the bracelet only for free. I think this was on a Friday so it had to be that day as they weren't open and we were flying out the next day. Well - it came out much better than it was - but it wasn't perfect. The left side of the PCL's on 2 links has a tiny portion that is brushed and not polished. Nothing that is that noticeable, but I still see it to this day.

Just my 2 cents.
Very interesting. Thanks for your feedback. I just worry that something could go wrong. I suppose it’s always a risk, but it seems it’ll be in good hands overall.
Old 14 April 2019, 03:44 PM   #21
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Thank you Padi for such a great example!!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 02:33 AM   #22
Skavary
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Of course some metal will be removed but not measurable for us ordinary folks
Yes very good point.
Old 15 April 2019, 03:05 AM   #23
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I personally don't like scratches so every 6 months I give my watch bracelets a quick fix with the green and maroon scotchbrite pads. It does the job.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 03:22 AM   #24
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Hey, My first Sub was subject to some minor damage and I had it insured via goldsmiths (sterling care) the watch got sent to Rolex and was subsequently serviced within two years of ownership and no extra cost, watch was also polished and looks amazing. My advice is wear the life out of it and when you think hey this needs a polish then have it done
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 04:01 AM   #25
Newrolex1234
"TRF" Member

What is the cost for polishing from a RSC vs a company like rollieworks?
Newrolex1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 04:14 AM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newrolex1234 View Post
What is the cost for polishing from a RSC vs a company like rollieworks?
The only polishing any Rolex needs is part of a full service every 5-10 years depending on how watch is used.In today's mainly pampered watches that would be closer to ten years.The sure way to ruin any Rolex is those wanting to polish every time they see the slightest scratch,in polishing the amount of metal removed is microns. And with today's mainly babied watches you could have at least 5 services before you would even notice, thats around 40-50 years of wearing.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 04:28 AM   #27
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Generally all RSC's do a very good job in dressing up your watch, don't overthink it.
All this no polishing is a typical TRF thing, in the real world people don't like scratches and prefer a clean looking watch
Quote:
The only polishing any Rolex needs is part of a full service every 5-10 years depending on how watch is used.In today's mainly pampered watches that would be closer to ten years.The sure way to ruin any Rolex is those wanting to polish every time they see the slightest scratch,in polishing the amount of metal removed is microns. And with today's mainly babied watches you could have at least 5 services before you would even notice, thats around 40-50 years of wearing.
This.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 05:54 AM   #28
964racer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I have had five watches get the full treatment at RSC Beverly Hills, and they come back like brand new each time. I wouldn't hesitate.
Is the RSC in Beverly Hills the Rolex service center owned by Rolex and can you drop off for service ? Mine is due soon and I’d rather drop off than ship.
964racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:58 AM   #29
Newrolex1234
"TRF" Member

My watch is 4 years old and really doesn’t need a polish just minor hairline scratches bother me. I will wait until my next service which I have time.

Quote:
Newrolex1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:07 AM   #30
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Can’t say, since I always state “DO NOT POLISH”. I like preserving the original factory finish.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc , polish , rolex , rsc