The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2021, 09:18 AM   #1
Just1More
"TRF" Member

Leak? What leak?

I have been following these predictions for the past 3-4 years. I have NOT seen ONE photo-shopped prediction that has come true. Sure the new movements etc etc—but not ONE mock-photo of what was released. The leak two years ago was real as it was a photo of the Rolex brochure. In this electronic age it is hard to believe with all the layers of a Rolex release—production—photography—promotion etc that there are not any leaks at all. I don’t know of any other brand or product in the world that can keep it that tight until release. Despite lawsuits etc…that never stopped anyone before. They must pay all these employees and contractors big big bucks….which translate into the price of the watches.

Unknown.jpeg
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
The Sky Dweller is a great example. No one saw that coming. No one.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 11:21 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great point OP, but some guys reeeeally 'get off' when using Photoshop. Allows them the satisfaction and full release... of their 'shopped pics they're proud of creating.

Looove the SkyD blue, but that wasn't sourced from an AD. Rolex basically mopped the floor with Patek, AP, and others with the incredibly innovative SkyD annual calendar movement.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by venron View Post
I have been following these predictions for the past 3-4 years. I have NOT seen ONE photo-shopped prediction that has come true.

They must pay all these employees and contractors big big bucks….which translate into the price of the watches.
Or everyone signs NDA’s as part of their employment and contractual obligations.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 11:51 AM   #5
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Every blind squirrel finds a nut aka predictions. Agree - it is crazy when you think about how little (or no) info actually does get out ahead of announcement day. It’s easy to put the anniversary dates together and sometimes have a decent feeling when a movement needs to be updated. But rolex keeps us on our toes and that’s why we are all here I guess.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 12:30 PM   #6
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub6152 View Post
Or everyone signs NDA’s as part of their employment and contractual obligations.
And employees want their companies to be successful — whether you work for Rolex, Apple, Disney, or Honda.

Product launches are super important... and the best companies know how to pull them off.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 12:53 PM   #7
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
And employees want their companies to be successful — whether you work for Rolex, Apple, Disney, or Honda.

Product launches are super important... and the best companies know how to pull them off.

Exactly that as well. Actually regarding pay and conditions Hermes are an example of rewarding and treating their workforce extremely well to instil loyalty to the company, as the skills these workers possess are very hard to find.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 01:32 PM   #8
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Many many companies can keep product secrets. Rolex is not doing anything amazing.

I bet many things that get "leaked" from other companies are done on purpose to draw major attention which works amazingly well.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 01:38 PM   #9
brandog
Banned

Apple pulls it off every 2-3 years with iPhone releases. It’s not that hard.
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 02:26 PM   #10
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

RPR gets it pretty right most years. The anniversary explorer 2 is almost certain and the new movements for the Milgauss / Airking if they're not discontinued. The larger Daytona is almost certainly false but a new larger chronograph (not named daytona) with more of dress bezel is high on a lot of people-in-the-know predictions.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 04:10 PM   #11
J_1964
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Maybe they just have a knack for hiring Loyal Employees. Paying them well doesn't hurt either.
J_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 05:14 PM   #12
Ihatecheese
Banned

Technology leaks are mostly no longer leaks. Rather well placed marketing ploys. I would imagine this strategy is acknowledged in most internet driven product marketing drives.
'Leaks' have a great deal to do with how vertically integrated a company is: The more third parties. The more chance someone doesn't care for an NDA or the repercussions of breaching it.
Pretty standard stuff. Not like a watch release moves markets or anything that actually matters! :)
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 05:48 PM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have been following these predictions for the past 3-4 years. I have NOT seen ONE photo-shopped prediction that has come true.
Here:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...1&postcount=22

Now you've seen one.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 06:39 PM   #14
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I am sure it is lots of things you can bet they have to sign a confidentiality agreement. They also get paid well and most of all just maybe respect there employers wishes.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 07:05 PM   #15
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It's not about inside knowledge or leaks, it's about speculation and gossip. Most of the world runs on speculation, gossip, BS and time wasting, and it hasn't stopped turning on its axis yet.

This is one waiting game I can play. Wait until the release announcement. The noise which leads up to it is good entertainment value and quite harmless. Which stopped clock will be right this year? If any.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 08:41 PM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Most of the world runs on speculation, gossip, BS and time wasting, and it hasn't stopped turning on its axis yet.
There are TV shows, nightly news, and government officials who built their reputation on hypothetical speculation, gossip, and time-wasting BS. You're right, and of course the timepiece industry is no different with the same major problem of imaginary 'rare and important' retail products that are 'revolutionary'.

This is one of the reasons i truly love Rolex, they do something incredible like the SkyD movements and you don't hear the company singing empty hyperbole.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 09:27 PM   #17
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
I have been following these predictions for the past 3-4 years. I have NOT seen ONE photo-shopped prediction that has come true. Sure the new movements etc etc—but not ONE mock-photo of what was released. The leak two years ago was real as it was a photo of the Rolex brochure. In this electronic age it is hard to believe with all the layers of a Rolex release—production—photography—promotion etc that there are not any leaks at all. I don’t know of any other brand or product in the world that can keep it that tight until release. Despite lawsuits etc…that never stopped anyone before. They must pay all these employees and contractors big big bucks….which translate into the price of the watches.

Attachment 1211240

Good pony, been thinking about it lately too. There are always good amount of precise leaks surrounding every big brand we know and even Apple witch is known to be so hypersensitive regarding secrecy has fallen to keep some info or design clues from leaking out. How Rolex manages to keep its new releases that top-secret is really mind boggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 March 2021, 09:34 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Attachment 1211240
It's a simple fact today if a new Rolex was posted on the likes of so called social media or Youtube,even if dial was skyblue pink,and called the Rolex ultimate discontinued, many would believe it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 10:56 PM   #19
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
This is one of the reasons i truly love Rolex, they do something incredible like the SkyD movements and you don't hear the company singing empty hyperbole.
Yes. Rolex are as good at what they don't do as what they do.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 01:12 AM   #20
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
Apple pulls it off every 2-3 years with iPhone releases. It’s not that hard.
I agree so do many car manufactures and Harley Davidson, really not hard to do...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 01:28 AM   #21
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
In January 2016 The black and white dial Daytona’s were leaked on here and other forums and they were exactly the ones released. I particularly remember as I emailed an AD asking to go on the list for one (two prior purchases only). He replied saying I was the first to ask and although he didn’t think one was coming out he’d put me down. He was true to his word and I got the first white dial in July that year.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 01:31 AM   #22
Peter_S
"TRF" Member

I think a main factor here is vertical integration. Rolex has everything under one roof. It wouldn‘t surprise me if they even printed their own catalogues ;-) And that‘s a big difference to other companies like Apple and which produce in China, etc., and thus have to muzzle a whole range of suppliers.
Peter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 02:46 AM   #23
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
In January 2016 The black and white dial Daytona’s were leaked on here and other forums and they were exactly the ones released. I particularly remember as I emailed an AD asking to go on the list for one (two prior purchases only). He replied saying I was the first to ask and although he didn’t think one was coming out he’d put me down. He was true to his word and I got the first white dial in July that year.
This. There have been several accurate leaks in the last years, no different than for any other company.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 05:22 AM   #24
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

Rolex leaks has happened... RPR even leaked the brochure showing of the Cermit.
Rolex Submariner 126613 LB
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST
RoyalOac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 05:23 AM   #25
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
It's a simple fact today if a new Rolex was posted on the likes of so called social media or Youtube,even if dial was skyblue pink,and called the Rolex ultimate discontinued, many would believe it.
You .... You mean that watch is not real?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote