The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 January 2021, 07:59 AM   #1
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

The new Cal. 321 “Ed White” is Omega’s ...

Some say a throwback to vintage Speedmasters that appeals to the collecting community. Some say it is Omega’s “Daytona”. I think a better description, if picking up on Daytona comparisons, is that the new “Ed White” is Omega’s Royal Oak Jumbo.

Small, limited production. Largely, likely Boutique-centric. The SS grail-piece that supports the classic Moonwatch variants, but also a stepping-stone for myriad limited editions, numbered editions, etc. but, moreover, a gateway drug/bundle for ultra high-end pieces (e.g., Meteorite, Sedna Gold, etc.).

Feel free to disagree, but would love to hear thoughts from others ...
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 08:01 AM   #2
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
I think I will settle with "she's gorgeous".

What a thing of beauty that watch is. Makes me melt.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 08:56 AM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
This is an interesting discussion. I have mixed emotions about the Speedmaster 321 because I once owned a 1967 Speedmaster Pro, reference 145.012 with Caliber 321, and since letting it go I have always figured that the perfect Speedmaster for me would be a new one with Caliber 321. Now that I can have one, I think this may still be the case, but I'm not overwhelmingly sure of that. I guess there's no big rush for me to resolve this, but I guess I'm a bit surprised to have mixed emotions about it.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 09:07 AM   #4
logo
"TRF" Member

I really like the Ed White. It's absolutely beautiful. And I can see the comparison to the RO Jumbo.

But, and I'm being picky, I'd like a new 321 even more if it were fitted to one of the references with twisted lugs and crown guards. Basically the Apollo 11 50th watch, but without the gold, blue dial, or Buzz climbing out of it and an open caseback with hesalite front. For the true OG moonwatch. OK Omega, I'm ready when you are!
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 09:38 AM   #5
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
I really like the Ed White. It's absolutely beautiful. And I can see the comparison to the RO Jumbo.

But, and I'm being picky, I'd like a new 321 even more if it were fitted to one of the references with twisted lugs and crown guards. Basically the Apollo 11 50th watch, but without the gold, blue dial, or Buzz climbing out of it and an open caseback with hesalite front. For the true OG moonwatch. OK Omega, I'm ready when you are!
Agree. Really don’t see the allure of Buzz’s butt on the dial of my Speedmaster
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 01:18 PM   #6
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
I think I will settle with "she's gorgeous".

What a thing of beauty that watch is. Makes me melt.
Agree with you. It’s beautiful. I don’t see a need to compare it to other brands offerings.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 06:08 PM   #7
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
Agree. Really don’t see the allure of Buzz’s butt on the dial of my Speedmaster
In all honesty, You never notice it on the wrist. It’s no different to having a cartoon dog on it really. It’s a brilliant watch and a step up from the boggo speedy. Try it if you get a chance
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 05:39 AM   #8
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
In all honesty, You never notice it on the wrist. It’s no different to having a cartoon dog on it really. It’s a brilliant watch and a step up from the boggo speedy. Try it if you get a chance
I realize that. It’s certainly a most distinctive Speedmaster. Enjoy
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 07:25 AM   #9
Cassidy776
Banned

Quite frankly, the dial on the new 3861s are much nicer......just sayin........
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 07:32 AM   #10
aff1
Banned

I'm yet to find a reason to dislike this piece. So this far I say it's a beauty.
aff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 08:04 AM   #11
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy776 View Post
Quite frankly, the dial on the new 3861s are much nicer......just sayin........
Than what?
Old 21 January 2021, 08:05 AM   #12
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
I realize that. It’s certainly a most distinctive Speedmaster. Enjoy
At the money it was sold at it was an absolute bargain as sum of the parts compared to the snoopy/new 3861. Cheers
Old 21 January 2021, 09:24 AM   #13
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:
Than what?
Check out your OP........in case its not clear, the dial on the new 3861 is nicer looking than the dial on the 321 Ed White....that's the "than what".
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:41 AM   #14
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
for me it is all about the opportunity to get a new watch that I can wear and create my own ever so subtle nicks and dings ....all with 'the' iconic 321 movement. Nothing like it...I can make my own history with a historic movement.
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 10:45 PM   #15
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I'm a bit surprised by some of these replies, I was expecting everyone to say that the 321 is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Is the novelty factor wearing off with some now?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 10:47 PM   #16
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
.....I'd like a new 321 even more if it were fitted to one of the references with twisted lugs and crown guards. Basically the Apollo 11 50th watch, but without the gold, blue dial, or Buzz climbing out of it and an open caseback with hesalite front. For the true OG moonwatch. OK Omega, I'm ready when you are!
Now I really like this idea.
Old 25 January 2021, 02:19 AM   #17
Mifune
Banned

Not me...
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:14 AM   #18
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

321 IS the jumbo for Omega.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 02:20 AM   #19
raclaims
"TRF" Member

The boutique won't even take 321 deposits so who the heck knows when you can even get one?
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 04:29 PM   #20
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Watch is very special indeed. Sparingly allocated (marketing vs resource limited it's up for debate) will only make something this nice more desirable....I promise you the news is getting through to the casuals and it'll fuel demand even more. I love everything about the watch and that was the only reason I moved on my FOIS.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 04:59 PM   #21
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

The new 321 is an amazing piece, but it really takes an enthusiast to appreciate it. My appreciation of it is of course is the 321 movement, and then the flat link bracelet as well. Which is a really nice bracelet.

With that said, I don’t see it as an equivalent to the Daytona, AP RO, Nautilus, or any halo piece from the other brands. None of those watches have a remotely similar watch in the same model family in SS that is easy to get. The only watches that are somewhat “easier to get” are in PM.

You can pick up pretty much any SS Moonwatch at or below retail today that is closely related to the 321.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 06:31 PM   #22
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
The new 321 is an amazing piece, but it really takes an enthusiast to appreciate it. My appreciation of it is of course is the 321 movement, and then the flat link bracelet as well. Which is a really nice bracelet.

With that said, I don’t see it as an equivalent to the Daytona, AP RO, Nautilus, or any halo piece from the other brands. None of those watches have a remotely similar watch in the same model family in SS that is easy to get. The only watches that are somewhat “easier to get” are in PM.

You can pick up pretty much any SS Moonwatch at or below retail today that is closely related to the 321.
I think this is a good point. The 321 is a terrific watch and per above maybe word will get out and demand explode. But you can buy a new sapphire sandwich (likely with a slight discount when we can get back to AD’s) for less than half what this costs.

The new 3861 speedy has some of the upgrades which made the 321 so compelling when first released vs the 1861. Step dial, AML, better bracelet and now chucks in a better and more modern take on the movement.

Unless you have a particular penchant for the 321 movement or the straight lugged case (or a ceramic bezel) I can see why you’d opt for the less expensive model given the upgrades have made it a great piece, and more than I thought they’d do to it.

This doesn’t necessarily reflect my view - I have an Apollo 11 and will be picking up a 321 at some point, but I can see if you were shopping for a speedy and looking at the options you might struggle to understand the difference in price.

If one looks at the snoopy also, that differentiates itself by being very different visually and appeals to the younger, look at me and what I’ve got insta crowd. I doubt the 321 will quite get there, and instead remain the thinking collectors speedy, which is fine as it’s a very special piece in its own right.
Old 30 January 2021, 10:28 PM   #23
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The new 3861 speedy has some of the upgrades which made the 321 so compelling when first released vs the 1861. Step dial, AML, better bracelet and now chucks in a better and more modern take on the movement.

Can someone tell me what AML means please?

Is Omega offering an Aston Martin Lagonda with the watch?
Old 30 January 2021, 10:44 PM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve yet to see one but would love to. Obviously it will appeal to any Speedy enthusiast and I like that it’s a limited production run (not a special edition).

I’ve also heard that the finishing on the bracelet and case of the 321 vs to the 3861 is night and day
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 10:52 PM   #25
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Can someone tell me what AML means please?

Is Omega offering an Aston Martin Lagonda with the watch?
Applied metal logo, I assume. But that would apply to only the sapphire version.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 12:41 AM   #26
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I’ve also heard that the finishing on the bracelet and case of the 321 vs to the 3861 is night and day
I found the 321 very sparkly compared to the Speedy Pro.
Old 31 January 2021, 12:42 AM   #27
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Applied metal logo, I assume. But that would apply to only the sapphire version.

That does make more sense than a free car!

Thanks.
Old 31 January 2021, 01:20 AM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I heard it’s more to do with the finishing. The 321 is supposedly head and shoulders above the Speedy Pro.

I’ve heard the Speedy Pro is actually “rough / scratchy feeling ... a bit of a hair puller and the case is quite sharp (almost like it was stamped).

Again, I haven’t seen either, only going by what I’ve heard, which is why I’m anxious to see them both.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 02:31 AM   #29
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess that will have something to do with the reflective ceramic bezel and the highly polished bracelet. It certainly appears less tooly than the 3861.

And yes, sorry AML is applied metal logo
Old 31 January 2021, 03:32 AM   #30
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think this is a good point. The 321 is a terrific watch and per above maybe word will get out and demand explode. But you can buy a new sapphire sandwich (likely with a slight discount when we can get back to AD’s) for less than half what this costs.

Unless you have a particular penchant for the 321 movement or the straight lugged case (or a ceramic bezel) I can see why you’d opt for the less expensive model given the upgrades have made it a great piece, and more than I thought they’d do to it.

This doesn’t necessarily reflect my view - I have an Apollo 11 and will be picking up a 321 at some point, but I can see if you were shopping for a speedy and looking at the options you might struggle to understand the difference in price.

If one looks at the snoopy also, that differentiates itself by being very different visually and appeals to the younger, look at me and what I’ve got insta crowd. I doubt the 321 will quite get there, and instead remain the thinking collectors speedy, which is fine as it’s a very special piece in its own right.
I agree, to me the ONLY reason to buy the Ed White is the 321 movement (in which case you are probably a moonwatch fan), or if you really, really wanted a straight lug case, or if you’re a limited production chaser. The 321 movement is the only part that really adds cost given the time it takes to assemble, but if you’re looking for modern time keeping get the 3861. If you want space history without going the Ed White route get the 1861 - it’s logged it’s fair share of space time and bears the original certification from NASA since it is really the same as the 861 (and closely related to the 321). The rest like step dial, AML, DON are all aesthetic changes, not really “upgrades” to me (and I wish the Ed White bezel was metal, not ceramic for a proper recreation). The Ed White bracelet aesthetically looks great, and goes well with the polished straight lugs, but you can achieve the same by adding an Apollo 11 bracelet to the 1861 and I would highly doubt the level of finishing and comfort differs dramatically between those two bracelets.

Bottom line for me is that this is a very niche watch where for most people it probably makes a lot more sense to get the 1861 or 3861. There is a moonwatch for all different tastes and preferences.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote