The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 January 2021, 04:04 PM   #1
Treetopfarms
"TRF" Member

Oxidation spots on Tudor Dial - new member

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with oxidation spots on mid to early Tudor watches? this watch is of great interest to me and I am trying to educate myself on if these spots while a defect for sure are something that can occur and if they do what is the effect to the overall watch and its value

I have attached a picture for reference and feedback.

thank you in advance

josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tudor spots.jpg (90.4 KB, 298 views)
Treetopfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:30 PM   #2
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Looking at threads on here these spots will only increase the value of your watch. In fact if you could get the dial to craze it would be a spider dial and would be worth much more.
Old 26 January 2021, 09:15 PM   #3
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Willy is pulling your arm in his reply...

those look more like oil stains? never seen those before but i doubt this increases value of the timepiece.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 09:20 PM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Would agree that these look like oil stains. Somebody's been very careless with a service, but how would they be THAT careless??
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 10:49 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 12:35 AM   #6
Treetopfarms
"TRF" Member

thanks for the feedback! i have examined the dial and it doesn't look like oil spots if you look at the areas where the white lettering on the dial and the black dot meet...of course i dont know for sure but am really glad for groups like this!!

Josh
Old 27 January 2021, 12:11 PM   #7
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Is that a 36mm model 75190 ? It def should garner a discount. Does it bother you when you look at it?
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 04:21 AM   #8
vintagetudor
"TRF" Member

Whatever it is you can do better
vintagetudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 08:30 AM   #9
cardiel
"TRF" Member

if the price is right I could live with it....the colour of the lume plots is attractive.
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 09:14 AM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiel View Post
if the price is right I could live with it....the colour of the lume plots is attractive.
But those spots would bother me every time I look at it. Just save some more green and buy one that isn't damaged.
Old 29 January 2021, 05:52 PM   #11
XavierM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
But those spots would bother me every time I look at it. Just save some more green and buy one that isn't damaged.
Same here, I would not call this defect « a beautiful evolution of the dial » like tropical stuff, save some cash find a better piece :)
Old 29 January 2021, 08:21 PM   #12
cardiel
"TRF" Member

it looks like it might be a mid size - price wise minty ones are around $4K, so if this one was priced around $3K it would be a good watch to get you in the game.....another dial could be sourced further down the road.
Old 30 January 2021, 12:01 AM   #13
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiel View Post
it looks like it might be a mid size - price wise minty ones are around $4K, so if this one was priced around $3K it would be a good watch to get you in the game.....another dial could be sourced further down the road.
I've found that it's a real pain in the t*ts to source authentic parts - you usually end up paying more than if you'd just bought a nice example in the first place, plus the time and stress it costs you.

It's not worth buying a sub-standard example and imagining you can restore it, unless you already know someone who can supply the right parts and do servicing. Just buy one that's ready to go.
Old 30 January 2021, 03:22 AM   #14
cardiel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I've found that it's a real pain in the t*ts to source authentic parts - you usually end up paying more than if you'd just bought a nice example in the first place, plus the time and stress it costs you.

It's not worth buying a sub-standard example and imagining you can restore it, unless you already know someone who can supply the right parts and do servicing. Just buy one that's ready to go.
I get where you are coming from.....no question, but if the price is right....

Of course we value the knowledge of collectors here with questions regarding condition and authenticity - phrases we often see are 'the insert is not correct', 'the dial is a service dial' or the classic 'it looks over polished to me' - but some of us, with less deep pockets, would happily wear such examples.......many of these watches are 20, 30 or even 40 years old - and the condition of such pieces is rarely mint. And as we know the prices have doubled, even tripled in the past 5-10 years, pricing many of us out of the game.......so I accept that there is a market and demand for the less than perfect examples......os a some call them 'beaters'. But remember, one mans beater, is another mans grail....its just depends how much money you got to buy a Swiss watch.
Old 1 February 2021, 04:33 AM   #15
Treetopfarms
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your comments. i passed on the watch...still looking for a 75090 example with box and docs

Josh
Old 3 February 2021, 07:09 AM   #16
cardiel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopfarms View Post
Thank you all for your comments. i passed on the watch...still looking for a 75090 example with box and docs

Josh
hi they do pop up here for sale from time to time - but to be honest its rare to find them with box and papers......not sure why that is. If you find a good one, then box and papers should be considered a bonus rather than a deal breaker.