The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10 September 2007, 03:36 AM   #31
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
This guy has the best house, the best looking wife, the best car,goes to the best places,runs the best business and oh I nearly forgot he's got the biggest muscles and looks fanatstic.
He's so far up his own a**.

Unless I've mixed this Gil up with someone else, in which case you can stryke this reply from the thread.
Talk about "stryking" the nail on the head....you're on to it, pal!! Spot-on!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 10 September 2007, 03:44 AM   #32
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Back
It seems there is alot more personal agenda from past grudges not related to business in these responses rather than pure fact based on experience in a transaction. I personally know that he is available around the clock to his customers and delivers as promised. We often go to dinner together and he will step out to take a call or answer an email at all times of the night.

I bet the fact that 90% of those who replied were banned from a forum which he moderates years ago has alot to do with this unwarranted animosity
Old 10 September 2007, 03:50 AM   #33
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX4EvEr View Post
It seems there is alot more personal agenda from past grudges not related to business in these responses rather than pure fact based on experience in a transaction. I personally know that he is available around the clock to his customers and delivers as promised. We often go to dinner together and he will step out to take a call or answer an email at all times of the night.

I bet the fact that 90% of those who replied were banned from a forum which he moderates years ago has alot to do with this unwarranted animosity
Have no idea what you are talking about. What I posted is my personal experience regarding the purchase of a Rolex and nothing else. We know he is a friend of yours....he did let you try that blingy piece didn't he. You have your feelings about him and some of us have entirely different ones. Your feelings are a little biased since you have personal relationship with him hence there is no need for you to place judgment on why YOU think we might of posted what we did. To sum it up I don't give a rats ass about what you think.
Old 10 September 2007, 03:56 AM   #34
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you like the guy fair enough that's your right.
I have read and saw lots of stuff this guy writes about himself and in my opion ( which I am entitled to ) the guy's a tosser.
Never met the guy, never want to.

By the way, how big's your house.
Old 10 September 2007, 04:39 AM   #35
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Back
Quote:
This guy has the best house, the best looking wife, the best car,goes to the best places,runs the best business and oh I nearly forgot he's got the biggest muscles and looks fanatstic.

Unless I've mixed this Gil up with someone else, in which case you can stryke this reply from the thread.
what people post on a luxury forum as a means to get away for relaxation has absolutely nothing to do with their business practices. The gentleman who started this thread asked if it was safe to purchase and the replies, which are clearly biased, made it seem as if he would not receive what he paid for which is incorrect and quite libelous based solely on you not liking the guys personality in his leisure time.

This cyber lynching is uncalled for and the replies inaccurate as far as the initial inquiry.
Old 10 September 2007, 04:44 AM   #36
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

So sue me.
Old 10 September 2007, 04:51 AM   #37
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
You're partly right, Freddy. There are still some residual hard feelings toward Gil and some of the other mods at that other place. But not all the replies are based on that bias. We are what we are. You're Gil's friend and that's fine. Nothing wrong with that.

I have no doubt that Gil is a member here and lurks at times. I have no problem with that. In fact, if he wanted to show himself, I would defend his right to be a member here, my own feelings about TURF aside. But that's the kind of place TRF is, open and welcoming, as long as everyone abides by the rules and enjoys themselves.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 10 September 2007, 04:53 AM   #38
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=ROLEX4EvEr;298282]what people post on a luxury forum as a means to get away for relaxation has absolutely nothing to do with their business practices. The gentleman who started this thread asked if it was safe to purchase and the replies, which are clearly biased, made it seem as if he would not receive what he paid for which is incorrect and quite libelous based solely on you not liking the guys personality in his leisure time.

This cyber lynching is uncalled for and the replies inaccurate as far as the initial inquiry.[/QUOTE

*edit* really I just don't care to add anything else. Poster, buy your watch Gil. There you happy?
Old 10 September 2007, 04:56 AM   #39
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
NICE gossip!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
Old 10 September 2007, 05:01 AM   #40
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
NICE gossip!
Yeah tell me about it! Someone asks for opinions and we're libelous cuz we have a negative one. Find the error...useless thread is all I gotta say. What I don't understand is how someone can actually think that a person 's personality has no bearing on his business dealings. Anyone who is business savy can smell it a mile away. I did. And if I went by what Rolex4ever says we pretty much have to believe that his friend has multiple personalities. I stand by my opinion.
Old 10 September 2007, 05:20 AM   #41
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
OK. We've had enough discussion about personalities. Let's drop the subject. Any more discussion and I'll close the thread.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 10 September 2007, 05:37 AM   #42
cjj14u

Watch: 98 Explorer II
Old 10 September 2007, 05:43 AM   #43
ROLEXAHOLIC

Watch: 116528
It seems to me that this guy Gil is hated here on this forum!! Probably almost as much as JJ is loved here on this forum!! I'm with Bo - The rest of us would like an explanation, Please !!!!
Old 10 September 2007, 05:51 AM   #44
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I have asked about it, and I don't think that this is a "popular topic" to discuss here, so maybe we should just leave it alone and move on.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
Old 10 September 2007, 12:14 PM   #45
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentman View Post
I'd pay more if necessary at an AD rather than feed his burgeoning ego.
Agreed!!! I tried to do business with him when I was in the market for my Rootbeer GMT, but he pulled a "bait & switch", then wouldn't even consider a small discount, even though the watch he was finally trying to palm off on me was older and his price was WAY over the mark. I finally wound up dealing with Seattle Watch Service, and got a newer, better Rollie for less money.

I am NOT impressed with Gil at all!
Old 10 September 2007, 01:19 PM   #46
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I would like to add to my one word comment of "no". I have not dealt with Gil, but I know people that have and always got what was promised. I don't care about personal grudges or other stuff, life is short and precious.

If you are looking to buy a watch from him, he is legit, he is a sponsor of a huge trading forum, watchnet. If you are looking for his close friends, this is not the forum.

We need to let a lot of the past go, it is behind us. We live, learn and not forget but move on.

Just like my boy Bobby Mclearan said, "don't worry, be happy"

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
Old 10 September 2007, 02:34 PM   #47
LouCan

Watch: YM TT MOP
Bottom Line! You cant go wrong by going to an AD. Mostly possitive little negatives. If you have to ask , you have answered your own Question.
Old 10 September 2007, 04:31 PM   #48
Exile82
"TRF" Member

Watch: for Ego's
Quote:

he is a jerk with a Ego bigger than his bank account , anyone who dealt with him knows he has multiple personalities . This guy has the best house HA , the best looking wife HA , the best car HA,goes to the best places,runs the best business HA and oh I nearly forgot he's got the biggest muscles HaHa and looks fanatstic if you like "Im better than you" type.
He's so far up his own but. I bet with all his money hes the cheapest basturd !
He will get exposed for the loser he is . I rather spend more with a AD then with this why make him rich ? everyone know how he acts and his reputation will ruin his watch business . I wouldnt give him a cent of my money . Rolex4ever you should stop defending Gil we know him longer than you , I can be safe to say your his only friend . he has more people who hate him than like him. he think he knows it all and he is always right in his mind . how can he fit his head in that baby lamborgini
Old 10 September 2007, 04:32 PM   #49
Exile82
"TRF" Member

Watch: for Ego's
<Edited>

Last edited by Exile82; 11 September 2007 at 12:56 PM..
Old 11 September 2007, 01:17 AM   #50
Geoff
"TRF" Member

I don't know any of the history referred to in other posts but I've dealt with him and the transaction was flawless and the price excellent. I would deal with him again.
Old 11 September 2007, 01:29 AM   #51
newtamparealestate
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCan View Post
Bottom Line! You cant go wrong by going to an AD. Mostly possitive little negatives. If you have to ask , you have answered your own Question.

Best thing said yet.

I buy from an AD and always will. Why buy grey market to save 500-700.00 ? NO THANKS

I will pay the extra. I am not too concerned with 500.00 when spending 9000 on a watch.
Old 11 September 2007, 03:54 AM   #52
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtamparealestate View Post

Best thing said yet.

I buy from an AD and always will. Why buy grey market to save 500-700.00 ? NO THANKS

I will pay the extra. I am not too concerned with 500.00 when spending 9000 on a watch.
Woo....hoo!! And which gray market dealer can offer the same cleavage views anyway?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 11 September 2007, 04:04 AM   #53
yachtsales

I am going to disagree that one cant go wrong with an AD. You may be assured of getting the real thing, but knowledge and good service is NOT assured at least at some of the ADs in my area. (Reeds Jewlers and Finks to name a couple)
Old 11 September 2007, 04:09 AM   #54
newtamparealestate
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsales View Post
I am going to disagree that one cant go wrong with an AD. You may be assured of getting the real thing, but knowledge and good service is NOT assured at least at some of the ADs in my area. (Reeds Jewlers and Finks to name a couple)
I get good service everytime. I am not there for there knowledge, I am there for my watch.
Old 11 September 2007, 04:16 AM   #55
Downing
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD ExpII GO Nav ND
Quote:
Agreed. I was pretty disappointed in my local ADs and posted my experiences on the Forum. Luckily, Tom ("Kansaivet") introduced me to a different local AD and it's been a great experience ever since.

The problem, as I see it, is that there's a dearth of good watch shops so you have to take your chances on jewelry shops. Not surprisingly, their focus is likely to be on jewelry, not watches. In my case, I was dealing with sales clerks who may or may not have known much about jewelry but didn't seem to know squat about watches.

I suppose you could still have quality service under those circumstances, but they didn't exactly instill confidence that that would be the case.

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Glashütte Original Navigator
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Old 11 September 2007, 04:22 AM   #56
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Sorry, cannot agree with this one.

When I think of the 27 years that I have been purchasing Rollies...each and every one of them BRAND NEW from an AD....and when I think of the terrific service I've received from the several ADs....all the way from Bombay to Hong Kong to Auckland......well, there ya go.....I think it's how you project your own personality when you enter through the hallowed portals of the AD and have the ability to "sell yourself" and throw your confidence and image across to the AD.

I think it's YOU who can ultimately get the AD to give you good service....YOU AND YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!

JJ

Old 11 September 2007, 04:33 AM   #57
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

Throw your face into the sales girls cleavage is what you're really trying to say JJ.
Old 11 September 2007, 05:35 AM   #58
Rodentman
Banned

My AD is soon moving to a new bldg which will be 40,000 sq ft, or something like that. Purportedly the largest privately owned jewelry store in the country. I wonder what Rolex will supply him with, and I wonder what other brands he will get on top of Rolex, B&M, Lange, Breitling, Patek, Ebel, JLC, Cartier and Panerai.

I get good pricing from them and think highly of their watchmakers.
Old 11 September 2007, 05:46 AM   #59
chris_nor_cal
"TRF" Member

I'm going to just throw out my opinion and play devils advocate from the status quo here...

i honestly don't care where i buy it from as long as it's real and I can pay to have the manufacturer service it when it needs it. after buying 2 omegas from an AD and having problems with both of them I've come to this decision.

I'm really puzzled why in the world people here are so proud to pay top dollar from an "authorized dealer". you get a 2 year warranty, which is really worthless because the watch isn't going to need a service within that warranty period, so you're going to have to get out of pocket for it anyway when the time comes. In the odd case that you do have a problem immediately with the watch--theres a defect, or something else wrong, most gray market dealers will refund your watch--ie. costco.

"Building a relationship" with an "authorized dealer" to get a modest discount after repeatedly spending tens of thousands of dollars is not necessary because you can get these discounts (and ever better) from day one if you find a dealer that's willing to undercut an AD to sell you a genuine product for less money.

I've been to some "authorized dealers" that didn't know jack about the products in their case. I don't think you need to project confidence or smiles or anything when you're a customer making a purchase. You have to produce a credit card, thats about it. Not bashing anyones choice to buy from an authorized dealer, but thats just how i see it.
Old 11 September 2007, 05:51 AM   #60
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal View Post
you know honestly i don't care where i buy it from as long as it's real and I can pay to have the manufacturer service it when it needs it. after buying 2 omegas from an AD and having problems with both of them I've come to this decision. I'm really puzzled why in the world people here are so proud to pay top dollar from an "authorized dealer". you get a 2 year warranty, which is really worthless because the watch isn't going to need a service within that warranty period, so you're going to have to get out of pocket for it anyway when the time comes. In the odd case that you do have a problem immediately with the watch--theres a defect, or something else wrong, most gray market dealers will refund your watch--ie. costco. "Building a relationship" with an "authorized dealer" to get a discount after repeatedly spending tens of thousands of dollars is not necessary because you can get discounts from day one if you find a dealer that's willing to undercut an AD to sell you a genuine product for less money. Not bashing anyones choice to buy from an authorized dealer, but thats just how i see it
That's definitely one way to look at it. Honestly though I enjoy going in there and trying it on and see what else they might have. All in all, I usually get good deals that are not that far off a grey market dealer. So to me it's worth the little difference. Speaking for myself I can tell you that my AD does all they can to build a relationship.
Closed Thread