The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 August 2018, 01:11 PM   #1
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Rolex Shopping at LHR

I will be flying in and out of LHR Terminal 3, departing the Schengen Zone on my flight leaving Heathrow.

If I go into the Watches of Switzerland in Terminal 3, do they have both Rolex and Tudor there?

If I am looking for a particular model, will the Terminal 3 shop call shops in the other terminals and bring it to Terminal 3 if they have what I want?

Also, in Amsterdam and Paris, the Rolex ADs don't let you keep the entire VAT.

For example, I saw a DJ41 smooth bezel in Paris. The departing Schengen Zone price I was told was just over $7,000.

But the MSRP in France is 6850 Euros, or 5708 Euros without any VAT. This is about $6,500. This is what the price should be for someone leaving Schengen and not paying VAT, so I'm not sure why I was quoted $7,000. Other than the shop keeps some fees as does Schipol. Thoughts?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 01:29 PM   #2
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I will be flying in and out of LHR Terminal 3, departing the Schengen Zone on my flight leaving Heathrow.

If I go into the Watches of Switzerland in Terminal 3, do they have both Rolex and Tudor there?

If I am looking for a particular model, will the Terminal 3 shop call shops in the other terminals and bring it to Terminal 3 if they have what I want?

Also, in Amsterdam and Paris, the Rolex ADs don't let you keep the entire VAT.

For example, I saw a DJ41 smooth bezel in Paris. The departing Schengen Zone price I was told was just over $7,000.

But the MSRP in France is 6850 Euros, or 5708 Euros without any VAT. This is about $6,500. This is what the price should be for someone leaving Schengen and not paying VAT, so I'm not sure why I was quoted $7,000. Other than the shop keeps some fees as does Schipol. Thoughts?
I'll be leaving from T3 today back to LAX! Maybe I'll run into you.
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 04:47 PM   #3
Jsimon
"TRF" Member

Yes they have Rolex and Tudor.

If you don’t want a SS sports watch you can call them before and ask them to get the watch in but this may vary given the shortage of watches.

My sub was at MSRP.

Not sure about the VAT, but if you call they’ll tell you, think it’s bit lower than full rebate 15% or so. Also you need to fly outside of Europe which looks like you’ll be doing.
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Amazing
"TRF" Member

I was there last week. There was a really limited show. Only milgauss and YM2 available. They had lots of 36mm DJs but I don't think they had any 41mm. No OP 39s either.

As for Tudor, they had a pretty good showing but no BBGMT or BB58 (said they haven't even seen them yet)
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 04:59 PM   #5
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
It’s full VAT exempt at LHR if you are flying out of the EU, this applies to Rolex. Some people get confused with the VAT price.

Remember you are paying a net price before VAT is added, so you divide the RRP by 1.2.

This is not the same as a 20% discount.

e.g. £120 gross with 20% VAT off is £100
e.g.2. £120 gross with 20% discount is £96.

Some people assume that they should be in example 2, but not the case.

Get the RRP from Rolex UK site, divide by 1.2 and that’s your price. You can phone in advance to check availability of models.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 05:04 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRoRo View Post
It’s full VAT exempt at LHR if you are flying out of the EU, this applies to Rolex. Some people get confused with the VAT price.

Remember you are paying a net price before VAT is added, so you divide the RRP by 1.2.

This is not the same as a 20% discount.

e.g. £120 gross with 20% VAT off is £100
e.g.2. £120 gross with 20% discount is £96.

Some people assume that they should be in example 2, but not the case.

Get the RRP from Rolex UK site, divide by 1.2 and that’s your price. You can phone in advance to check availability of models.
AKAIK airport price isnt full 20% off though... IE with the vat completely backed out. Its like retail minus about 17%. Paying retail is retail though if you buy a Rolex and fly to Brussels....but VAT free for ex EU or for flying within the EU (basically a discount and its VAT free equivalent) minus Rolex and Tudor which do not qualify for this are also the same price.

Maybe its like example 1 but on the surface it seemed like they didn't do the full amount for whatever reason (processing fee, airport fee, etc)
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 05:48 PM   #7
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
AKAIK airport price isnt full 20% off though... IE with the vat completely backed out. Its like retail minus about 17%. Paying retail is retail though if you buy a Rolex and fly to Brussels....but VAT free for ex EU or for flying within the EU (basically a discount and its VAT free equivalent) minus Rolex and Tudor which do not qualify for this are also the same price.

Maybe its like example 1 but on the surface it seemed like they didn't do the full amount for whatever reason (processing fee, airport fee, etc)
That’s what he’s saying. 20 pounds (20% tax) off is 16.66667 (about 17%) off the price of 120.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 06:02 PM   #8
Benjo74
"TRF" Member

It’s simple mathematics. Just think it through for a minute, you’ll get it in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Benjo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 06:06 PM   #9
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

I was there a couple weeks ago and there was nothing of interest. I was in the shop less than 5 minutes and in that time 10+ people came in asking about stainless models. I think you'd have to be incredibly lucky to buy anything worthwhile in there.

With regards to price, as RoRoRo said, go on the UK Rolex site and divide the RRP by 1.2. That's what the sales assistants were doing on their phones in there when they couldn't be bothered getting a watch from the case or out of the back.
haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 06:11 PM   #10
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
VAT Refund is 16.8% off purchase price this is correct
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 06:17 PM   #11
Clasper
"TRF" Member

The best deal I seen there was a SS Yachtmaster II VAT free (in December 2017), roughly £11k. But I've never seen one of the nicer SS models yet, luck of the draw though they may just happen to get a Daytona Ceramic, or Blue SS Skydweller as you walk past
Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 06:26 PM   #12
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJONES View Post
That’s what he’s saying. 20 pounds (20% tax) off is 16.66667 (about 17%) off the price of 120.
This

DJ41 smooth on oyster is £5,450 inclusive of 20% VAT

That's £ net plus £908.33 VAT (20% of £4,541.67)

The £908.33 discount you get for the VAT free price is 16.666%

Its a common (and understandable) mistake to think the discount is 20%.

In dollars (for the OP) at today's exchange rate

Retail $6,926.62

VAT $1,154.43

VAT free price $5,772.19

US MSRP is $7,450

A quick bit of advice for anyone from the US buying in the UK - unless your bank hits you with significant foreign currency transaction fees, buy the watch in local currency, not dollars. You'll get a much better deal on the exchange rate than the shop will give you when it converts. I always purchase abroad in the local currency even when the offer is there to pay in sterling.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 06:28 PM   #13
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
I'm not sure why I was quoted $7,000. Other than the shop keeps some fees as does Schipol. Thoughts?
The shop is giving you a terrible exchange rate (with fees included)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 06:38 PM   #14
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
I enquired about an OP39 from Paris CDG in April, and the supposed tax discounted price (flying to Africa) was almost identical to what I eventually paid at my AD in the UK before I left.

My advice is do your homework (call etc) before buying in "some" airport dealers as I've experianced overly inflated prices for even easy to aquire watches.
DP63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 07:10 PM   #15
Shakini
"TRF" Member

Watch: TBB (red), YMR
T5 had nothing but DDs and DJs two weeks back. When I asked about a Sub, the guy just smiled and said they hadn't seen any SS sports models this year.
Shakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 07:26 PM   #16
ROLEXUS
"TRF" Member

The tax free prices at LHR are basically the cheapest retail prices you will currently pay anywhere in the world. That is for watches and any other luxury items where global pricing is monitored (bags etc) Understandably, they have very limited stock..
ROLEXUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 07:36 PM   #17
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Currently at LHR T3 and they have a nice WG Ann. Day Date...i probably Would've gone for it if it was RG, but he said 5 people before me also asked for RG.

They also have a RG Daytona.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 07:57 AM   #18
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
Currently at LHR T3 and they have a nice WG Ann. Day Date...i probably Would've gone for it if it was RG
Does the airport discount PM references? If not, then buying at a discount in the US might be same or less than paying MSRP at LHR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXUS View Post
The tax free prices at LHR are basically the cheapest retail prices you will currently pay anywhere in the world. That is for watches and any other luxury items where global pricing is monitored (bags etc) Understandably, they have very limited stock..
Good point. I guess everyone else is buying, too, since its so cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakini View Post
T5 had nothing but DDs and DJs two weeks back. When I asked about a Sub, the guy just smiled and said they hadn't seen any SS sports models this year.
Thanks for the insight! He hadn't seen any all year? Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
I enquired about an OP39 from Paris CDG in April, and the supposed tax discounted price (flying to Africa) was almost identical to what I eventually paid at my AD in the UK before I left.

My advice is do your homework (call etc) before buying in "some" airport dealers as I've experianced overly inflated prices for even easy to aquire watches.
Yes, I have experienced that at Schipol and CDG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
The shop is giving you a terrible exchange rate (with fees included)
Ah! I should have asked for price in Euros at CDG. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
This DJ41 smooth on oyster is £5,450 inclusive of 20% VAT
That's £ net plus £908.33 VAT (20% of £4,541.67)
The £908.33 discount you get for the VAT free price is 16.666%
Its a common (and understandable) mistake to think the discount is 20%.
In dollars (for the OP) at today's exchange rate
Retail $6,926.62
VAT $1,154.43
VAT free price $5,772.19
US MSRP is $7,450

A quick bit of advice for anyone from the US buying in the UK - unless your bank hits you with significant foreign currency transaction fees, buy the watch in local currency, not dollars. You'll get a much better deal on the exchange rate than the shop will give you when it converts. I always purchase abroad in the local currency even when the offer is there to pay in sterling.
Thanks for doing the math on the DJ41 smooth oyster. And good advice on purchasing in local currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
I was there a couple weeks ago and there was nothing of interest. I was in the shop less than 5 minutes and in that time 10+ people came in asking about stainless models. I think you'd have to be incredibly lucky to buy anything worthwhile in there.
Wow! That's crazy. I am hoping for luck. Otherwise, maybe try to order a DJ41.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenC5 View Post
I'll be leaving from T3 today back to LAX! Maybe I'll run into you.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was there that day. This is in more than a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
Yes they have Rolex and Tudor.
If you don’t want a SS sports watch you can call them before and ask them to get the watch in but this may vary given the shortage of watches.
I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for letting me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
I was there last week. There was a really limited show. Only milgauss and YM2 available. They had lots of 36mm DJs but I don't think they had any 41mm. No OP 39s either.

As for Tudor, they had a pretty good showing but no BBGMT or BB58 (said they haven't even seen them yet)
Thanks for the insight on what they had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRoRo View Post
It’s full VAT exempt at LHR if you are flying out of the EU

Yes, I'm definitely tracking that subtracting the 20% VAT from RRP is only about a 17% discount.

Unfortunately, some airports, like Schipol, as you are departing the EU, actually charge a fee to sell you the watch without any VAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clasper View Post
The best deal I seen there was a SS Yachtmaster II VAT free (in December 2017), roughly £11k. But I've never seen one of the nicer SS models yet, luck of the draw though they may just happen to get a Daytona Ceramic, or Blue SS Skydweller as you walk past
Oh, wow. So I can forget about my dream list of watches! Did they at least have an Explorer II??? :-) Probably the most accessible of the SS sports models.
Old 17 August 2018, 08:04 AM   #19
Doozer
"TRF" Member

I was in the London last week. One of the other WOS locations in London told me that the location at LHR would no longer be supplied with SS Sport Models since the airport location is very expensive for them to maintain. Not sure the validity of this, but that is what I was told.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 08:12 AM   #20
Jsimon
"TRF" Member

Rolex Shopping at LHR

Quote:

That’s a lie (unless they personally hadn’t seen one) as my wife got me this in May, however they acted like we had won the lottery. I would’ve felt the same if she wasn’t flying to Paris as no Vat relief. Nonetheless I’m very happy chappy - it was only in the shop for 20 mins and she was the second person to ask about it.

Old 17 August 2018, 06:01 PM   #21
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
That’s a lie (unless they personally hadn’t seen one) as my wife got me this in May, however they acted like we had won the lottery. I would’ve felt the same if she wasn’t flying to Paris as no Vat relief. Nonetheless I’m very happy chappy - it was only in the shop for 20 mins and she was the second person to ask about it.

Your wife is a keeper .... I'd be ecstatic.

Those price tags hurt to look at compared with the current prices I've seen for pre-owned, let alone "new with tags" ... with or without tax ... superb watch for the money.

Congratulations.
DP63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 06:55 PM   #22
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
As most have said LHR is literally your luck on the day. Even some of the blue dial DJ can be abit elusive there. My brother in law was offered a LVc 1 year ago. He got there at the right time. But he didn’t pull the trigger. He told me this after he had reached home at the other end! I wanted to slap him silly through the phone!!!! Oh well someone else got lucky that day!

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 08:01 PM   #23
Jsimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
Your wife is a keeper .... I'd be ecstatic.

Those price tags hurt to look at compared with the current prices I've seen for pre-owned, let alone "new with tags" ... with or without tax ... superb watch for the money.

Congratulations.

Yes it is luck. The store assistant is waiting on a hulk for two years but has been off the days it’s come in.

I was very chuffed - all tags and protective plastic. No bezel protector though :(
Old 18 August 2018, 01:12 PM   #24
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
As most have said LHR is literally your luck on the day. Even some of the blue dial DJ can be abit elusive there.
Interesting. I wonder if a blue dial DJ41 can be ordered in advance for pickup at LHR when traveling through.
Old 18 August 2018, 04:23 PM   #25
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hes lying because i got a sub date there this year
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 04:27 PM   #26
Watchdaytona
"TRF" Member

I was told by a salesperson at LHR that the watch shops at LHR are run by a rather large conglomerate that owns a chain of watch shops that stock Rolex around the UK. The salesperson mentioned their head office sends all the stainless Rolexes to their other stores for regular clients and does not direct them to LHR anymore. So you may as well give up finding a stainless, sub, gmt, SD or Daytona at Heathrow. I've stopped asking now, must be tedious for the salespeople.
Watchdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 05:28 PM   #27
cdbeaver66
"TRF" Member

I have purchased my Rolex GMT, Ranger and Pelagos LHD from WoS Heathrow. I got lucky with the GMT!! With the Ranger they did not have it in the T5 store so rang another terminal store and got it send over within 30 minutes. The Pelagos was on display to purchase. With Tudor and some other brands (not Rolex) you can reserve watches, through the Heathrow Shopping website, with a small discount and collect on your way through.
1. Breitling Colt Chronograph 2. Melbourne Watch Company Portsea 3. Tudor Black Bay ETA Blue 4.Rolex GMT Master IIc LN 5. Tudor Heritage Ranger 6. Tudor Pelagos LHD 7. Tudor Black Bay Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition 8. Tudor Black Bay GMT 9. Tudor Black Bay Harrods

Instagram: mykicksandticks
cdbeaver66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 05:35 PM   #28
sparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue 126660
I was also told this when l picked up my DSSD-Blue in May from a London WOS.
sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2018, 10:42 PM   #29
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

On the Heathrow Boutique site you can buy some Tudor for pickup at the store later in the airport.

1st question: is this for all passengers? At one place it says it is. Another place it says, "Heathrow’s Shop & Collect service is currently only available to passengers travelling within the E.U. and UK." Meaning if you are transiting LHR on you way to the US you can't order in advance and pickup at LHR?

2nd question: It isn't clear if the displayed prices are with or without VAT.

Grateful to anyone who knows these answers! :-)
Old 18 August 2018, 10:48 PM   #30
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
On the Heathrow Boutique site you can buy some Tudor for pickup at the store later in the airport.

1st question: is this for all passengers? At one place it says it is. Another place it says, "Heathrow’s Shop & Collect service is currently only available to passengers travelling within the E.U. and UK." Meaning if you are transiting LHR on you way to the US you can't order in advance and pickup at LHR?

2nd question: It isn't clear if the displayed prices are with or without VAT.

Grateful to anyone who knows these answers! :-)
It sounds like the pre-ordering service is including vat. Why not phone them?

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote