The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 March 2016, 02:35 AM   #1
magnetic
"TRF" Member

Flippin 'eck - a friday question.

I have had my BLNR since May 2015 and wear it daily. Being my first Rolex it has bought me much pleasure and I love it.
But, after seeing the new Daytona I had to put my name down for one. It cures my itch and I am due to get it September / October (4th on list at London's AD).

I can not afford to buy it and keep my BLNR. So I thought about selling the BLNR to part fund the Daytona.

I now feel guilty. I promised to love and cherish her. Through good times and bad. And after only 1 year I am having thoughts about trading her for a younger model.

I am not allowed to sell my BLNR via the forum as not a pledge member etc.. so I looked on line at a London dealer who has them and emailed through for a valuation. They came back at £5.5k v RRP of £5.95k when I bought it.

Is this a fair valuation?
Will I get more elsewhere?
Am I better keeping it until I get the call from the AD or sell it now and bank the money?
Am I a bad man for flipping it when I thought I would be a one watch man from the day I said 'I do'.

Thanks for listening to me. This therapy helps!
magnetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 02:43 AM   #2
Paul_81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 2 polar white
I would be careful if you have a significant other that they don't see how you are wanting to dump your beloved lol. The question is can you be naked and lonely?
Paul_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 02:55 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I've seen a few threads where people are considering flipping the BLNR for the new Daytona. I guess I don't get it as they are two very different watches
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 02:59 AM   #4
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Sounds like a good price.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 03:00 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I've seen a few threads where people are considering flipping the BLNR for the new Daytona. I guess I don't get it as they are two very different watches
I agree.

Sounds like wanting to own the newest not enjoy solid choices.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 03:00 AM   #6
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_81 View Post
I would be careful if you have a significant other that they don't see how you are wanting to dump your beloved lol. The question is can you be naked and lonely?
Good to keep them on their toes!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 03:03 AM   #7
Evad3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m/216570
£5,500 seems like a very fair price. It would fetch around that privately
Old 19 March 2016, 03:08 AM   #8
magnetic
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies.

I agree they are 2 'different' watches but financially I can not afford to own both so reluctantly will have to let her go.
Old 19 March 2016, 03:15 AM   #9
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
latest and greatest for some
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 03:16 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Wait until you are closer to receiving the Daytona. Blnr quite liquid and you won't have a nice rolex to wear all summer.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 03:34 AM   #11
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
I've been putting off reacquiring a blnr, but if there is an influx of blnr's in the market in the next few months, might be hard to resist. Win win for everyone!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
WristEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 03:53 AM   #12
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I think if you flip it you may find yourself trying to figure out how to reacquire a BLNR. Sounds like you really enjoy it but you've gotta follow what you want most.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 04:02 AM   #13
m1911a1
Banned

Watch: 42mm Explorer-II's
Quote:
Yeah....I agree!
I wouldn't want either one as my top pick, but somehow the BLNR was the greatest thing since sliced bread when they were new, now the unreleased ceramic Daytona is better?

All I can say is wow....
Rolex definitely are geniuses in marketing.
m1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 04:04 AM   #14
Rookie52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
I have had my BLNR since May 2015 and wear it daily. Being my first Rolex it has bought me much pleasure and I love it.
But, after seeing the new Daytona I had to put my name down for one. It cures my itch and I am due to get it September / October (4th on list at London's AD).

I can not afford to buy it and keep my BLNR. So I thought about selling the BLNR to part fund the Daytona.

I now feel guilty. I promised to love and cherish her. Through good times and bad. And after only 1 year I am having thoughts about trading her for a younger model.

I am not allowed to sell my BLNR via the forum as not a pledge member etc.. so I looked on line at a London dealer who has them and emailed through for a valuation. They came back at £5.5k v RRP of £5.95k when I bought it.

Is this a fair valuation?
Will I get more elsewhere?
Am I better keeping it until I get the call from the AD or sell it now and bank the money?
Am I a bad man for flipping it when I thought I would be a one watch man from the day I said 'I do'.

Thanks for listening to me. This therapy helps!

This is a tough one - I know you mentioned it would be difficult financially to have both in the rotation but being your first, I'd think long and hard about letting it go. Most very much regret getting rid of their first. You can never get that back but the Daytona will be available at some point.. just my 2 cents.
Rookie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2016, 04:34 AM   #15
salvadorsantana
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/R O L E X
Quote:
Again and again, 2 different watches being the BLNR the most practical and functional (date and GMT + looks). Unless you are into racing and timing stuff the Daytona will be only able to tell you the time and look good. I like the Daytona don't get me wrong, I just don't see myself wasting $10K on something that I'm gonna look at and will be able to see only the time. I got to see yesterday in Miami a new black dial 116520 where the store replaced the original bezel and placed a ceramic one (probably from a Daytona chocolate or totally aftermarket), what a turn off! I mean at least on the black dial you just can put a ceramic bezel and it will look just like the new one 116500LN! On the white dial it will be a different story since it is different than the current version.

I also got to see a 116520 where they replaced dial and bezel to make it look like the platinum one so people will buy real Rolex to make it look like another one?

Lastly if you DON'T LIKE the BLNR then flip it (or sell it, you will get the most out of it) and get the Daytona. GL
Old 25 March 2016, 07:33 AM   #16
magnetic
"TRF" Member

Wanted to post an update;

I spoke to the dealer who made me the offer and they increased their bid to £5700. I thought this was fair so agreed to the deal subject to them inspecting it and seeing the paperwork etc..

Arranged an appointment for 11.30 today. Last night I took out the box and paperwork and gave her a clean with soft soap and warm water. As she shone brightly I remembered trying her on and falling for her. Her good looks, personality and the way she made me feel.

I did not sleep well. I kept thinking I was wrong to sell. Its a beautiful watch and I did not want to let her go.

I woke up early and emailed the buyer saying I did not want to go ahead. I immediately felt better. My wife laughed at me tonight knowing I could not go through with it. She knows me well.

So, i will go and view the new Daytona's on May 11th - the first time they will be shown in the UK (allegedly) and if I love it, work out how I will buy it!

Sorry to ramble on, but you guys will understand how I felt!
Old 25 March 2016, 07:50 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

I spoke to the dealer who made me the offer and they increased their bid to £5700. I thought this was fair so agreed to the deal subject to them inspecting it and seeing the paperwork etc..

Arranged an appointment for 11.30 today. Last night I took out the box and paperwork and gave her a clean with soft soap and warm water. As she shone brightly I remembered trying her on and falling for her. Her good looks, personality and the way she made me feel.

I did not sleep well. I kept thinking I was wrong to sell. Its a beautiful watch and I did not want to let her go.

I woke up early and emailed the buyer saying I did not want to go ahead. I immediately felt better. My wife laughed at me tonight knowing I could not go through with it. She knows me well.

So, i will go and view the new Daytona's on May 11th - the first time they will be shown in the UK (allegedly) and if I love it, work out how I will buy it!

You have a wife?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 08:08 AM   #18
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

Sounds like a plan.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2016, 08:58 AM   #19
magnetic
"TRF" Member

September update:

Rang the AD on sunday and i have moved up the list by 2 places, from 4 to 2. They were instructed by Rolex HQ to move those waiting on the old list for a daytona (some 3 years) over to the list for the new model.

I emailed watchfinders and they have offered me £6k for my blnr. Interesting that their offer has increased. But the one on their website in £7,495!
Old 16 September 2016, 10:16 AM   #20
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
I would get rid of blnr as soon as you know you can get the Daytona.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2016, 10:18 AM   #21
porschedude
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I personally would much rather have a BLNR than daytona-c.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2016, 10:46 AM   #22
CLTRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Multiple
Classifieds are filled lately with the blnr
♕ Daytona - 116520
♕ Explorer II - 16570
CLTRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2016, 10:52 AM   #23
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
If you decide to, you can become a pledge member for a small fee and post of the classifieds of this forum. Also, I don't think that anyone has mentioned that many of us who have sold our first Rolex have regretted it, me included. Sure, you can buy the same model later but it will most likely not be the actual watch that you first purchased.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2016, 10:55 AM   #24
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
September update:

Rang the AD on sunday and i have moved up the list by 2 places, from 4 to 2. They were instructed by Rolex HQ to move those waiting on the old list for a daytona (some 3 years) over to the list for the new model.

I emailed watchfinders and they have offered me £6k for my blnr. Interesting that their offer has increased. But the one on their website in £7,495!
So the old listers have queued back behind the new listers. lol. You'd think they'd be moved to the front.

That's a nice offer if it holds. I'm fascinated by their 116710BLNR pricing, they have two going for that price. They're certainly ahead of whatever curve that lurks in front. Their 116710LN is priced more modestly at £5995, and they're 2016 pieces.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116710blnr , scarcity